User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:44:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I try to avoid having medical bills.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:44:58 PM EDT
[#2]
OSHA - Fucking up the genepool for decades....
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Pussy's running the world.. So what if i want to hang off the polar crane like a monkey, not wear my epd or tool lanyards, and drop a few nuts and bolts in the reactor vessel while i'm at it. It's the only way to get shit done.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 1:15:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Longer you live the more taxes you pay
View Quote

This is why suicide is looked down upon.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 1:23:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I was standing on the top of a tall Mayan ruin recently in another country and could walk right up to the edge as I saw fit.  Admittedly there was a sign asking people not to sit on the edge.

In the US, either people wouldn’t be allowed up there at all, or the ruin would have a toddler approved railing installed, compromising the experience.

So yeah, I think much of our pearl clutching is stupid.

View Quote

That has to do with this how?  Because you could fall to your death with impunity, that country is somehow better?
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 1:37:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Safety mandates enable someone else to control your life.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I tried pointing out how soft society has gotten in the tornado thread the other day and had people asking to ban me.  I was mad because they sent the kids home early from school on Friday due to the threat of possible tornados.  While there was tornadoes in our area, they weren’t until after 7pm.  Let me remind you, the school itself is s tornado shelter and over 15 percent of students sent home live in a mobile home.  Even more go home to no adults in the home because both parents are working.  They would have been better staying in school.  They also like to cancel school now just at the mere prediction of snow.  They cancel school all the time and it won’t even snow.  They also cancel if it is too cold outside because they don’t want little Timmy being to cold at the bus stop.  The media is to blame for most of it. Society has gone soft.  Just in case you all forgot, every year in the spring, there are chances of thunderstorms and tornadoes in the Midwest.  In the winter time, there is a chance of snow.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 3:25:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The thing people want to explain even less is that the employee circumvented all policy, procedure and engineered controls and killed themselves.  So it must have been someone else's fault, the policy wasn't enforced, the controls insufficient, who can we sue?

You can enforce safety policy to the maximum of your ability but it only needs to be circumvented once to result in injury.

The 4 rules are the perfect example of this.  Any one can break down and the other 3 will assure that no injury occurs. You can follow all 4 every day of your life until one day you ignore 2 and kill someone.  Was that the fault of the 4 rule procedure or the individual not following it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most accidents are preventable. I personally don't want to ever have to explain to the family of a deceased employee that their loved one is never coming because we were too lazy or cheap to do things the right way. It doesn't even have to be about cost; organizations that value continuous improvement generally put safety first.

That being said, there are some human endeavors that are inherently high risk and it is foolish to avoid those endeavors entirely or to expect that accidents will never occur.

Culturally we're at a point where we complain about taking reasonable precautions as being too much of a hassle while also expecting all risk to be removed from all things.

The thing people want to explain even less is that the employee circumvented all policy, procedure and engineered controls and killed themselves.  So it must have been someone else's fault, the policy wasn't enforced, the controls insufficient, who can we sue?

You can enforce safety policy to the maximum of your ability but it only needs to be circumvented once to result in injury.

The 4 rules are the perfect example of this.  Any one can break down and the other 3 will assure that no injury occurs. You can follow all 4 every day of your life until one day you ignore 2 and kill someone.  Was that the fault of the 4 rule procedure or the individual not following it?
It's a problem of culture. You need to build the culture. Not just for safety, but for quality and efficiency.  If an employee won't follow procedures to protect themselves,  they won't follow procedures to protect the consumer, the product or the company and they need to become someone else's problem.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 3:40:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Every risk management project I've been part of quantifies risk in a matrix: probability on one axis, severity on the other. If something is very likely, but not harmful (think paper cuts) it gets low priority. If it is very harmful, and very likely (think a puddle that employees must walk through, but it's energized to 3,000 V) it gets high priority.

What we ignore is the importance of the task at hand. Cleaning a chalk board is not worth dying for. Saving a child from a fire or stopping a crazed murderer running through a school justifies a higher acceptance of risk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

healthcare costs have risen -- as have the costs associated with litigation

so spending some efforts / money to PREVENT accidents is likely a worthwhile investment
Most accidents are preventable. I personally don't want to ever have to explain to the family of a deceased employee that their loved one is never coming because we were too lazy or cheap to do things the right way. It doesn't even have to be about cost; organizations that value continuous improvement generally put safety first.

That being said, there are some human endeavors that are inherently high risk and it is foolish to avoid those endeavors entirely or to expect that accidents will never occur.

Culturally we're at a point where we complain about taking reasonable precautions as being too much of a hassle while also expecting all risk to be removed from all things.

Every risk management project I've been part of quantifies risk in a matrix: probability on one axis, severity on the other. If something is very likely, but not harmful (think paper cuts) it gets low priority. If it is very harmful, and very likely (think a puddle that employees must walk through, but it's energized to 3,000 V) it gets high priority.

What we ignore is the importance of the task at hand. Cleaning a chalk board is not worth dying for. Saving a child from a fire or stopping a crazed murderer running through a school justifies a higher acceptance of risk.
Implicit in most risk assessment is that the task must be completed. A high risk activity might have the risk mitigated by doing the task differently (sending in the claymore roomba instead of the entry team).  But you are correct that sometimes fairly high risks might be necessary to achieve a particular goal (man-rating a new rocket).
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 3:45:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Dunno about society.

But when I'm on the job, I obsess over safety because I've only got the one body.   And no one is going to look out for my safety better than me.  

Yes, I will refuse to do something if it is unreasonably unsafe.   Especially if there are safer ways of doing it and the company is just too cheap to do them.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 3:48:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Lawyers and money.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 4:24:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That has to do with this how?  Because you could fall to your death with impunity, that country is somehow better?
View Quote

The thing is, I didn’t fall to my death. And yes that country was better on this topic for not being a nanny towards me and others.

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 4:36:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I was standing on the top of a tall Mayan ruin recently in another country and could walk right up to the edge as I saw fit.  Admittedly there was a sign asking people not to sit on the edge.

In the US, either people wouldn’t be allowed up there at all, or the ruin would have a toddler approved railing installed, compromising the experience.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, OP, at what point should we just say "fuck safety"?

Please, give us your non-feminized ideas.

You’ve obviously never been to the Grand Canyon.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 4:38:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Dunno about society.

But when I'm on the job, I obsess over safety because I've only got the one body.   And no one is going to look out for my safety better than me.  

Yes, I will refuse to do something if it is unreasonably unsafe.   Especially if there are safer ways of doing it and the company is just too cheap to do them.
View Quote

What a pussy.

If you don’t go out of your way to do things as in safely as possible then you are a brainwashed woman.

Ergo, you shouldn’t vote.

/arfcom
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#15]
In my industry, the first workers had a mortality rate of 1 in 2.

I’ve met more than one lineman/electrical worker that didn’t respect safe work practices. One was missing his arm. Another was missing both arms and had severe burn scars all over his face.

Early in my career I was ignorant of safe work practices and was put in positions that were incredibly high risk. As in working within MAD of 15kV without any training. Working from a man lift with bad hydraulics. Working from a bucket with sheared bolts at the bucket/boom connection. Working around cyanide solutions without proper PPE (okay I knew that one, I took the risk and almost paid for it). Working from heights in an energized substation alone.

Fuck all that now. Luckily my current company takes safety seriously. I’ll take a little delay or “hassle” as long as everyone goes home the way they showed up.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 4:55:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I fell off a ladder 2 weeks ago and fucked up my knee.
I am a testosterone fueled dumbass and blame no-one but myself.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 5:01:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Fear of lawsuits.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Insurance companies, Lawyers, and overprotective moms
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:39:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
In my industry, the first workers had a mortality rate of 1 in 2.

I’ve met more than one lineman/electrical worker that didn’t respect safe work practices. One was missing his arm. Another was missing both arms and had severe burn scars all over his face.

Early in my career I was ignorant of safe work practices and was put in positions that were incredibly high risk. As in working within MAD of 15kV without any training. Working from a man lift with bad hydraulics. Working from a bucket with sheared bolts at the bucket/boom connection. Working around cyanide solutions without proper PPE (okay I knew that one, I took the risk and almost paid for it). Working from heights in an energized substation alone.

Fuck all that now. Luckily my current company takes safety seriously. I’ll take a little delay or “hassle” as long as everyone goes home the way they showed up.
View Quote

But now Karen from HR shuts down a multi-thousand-worker site because her salsa at lunch was too spicy

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:41:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It is all about money in someone else’s pocket.
View Quote

So is trying to cut corners regarding safety.

If we're talking workplace safety.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 5:31:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's something like 3000 cases a year.  Depending on the battery, it can be like swallowing a laser.
View Quote

That's a lot.

It's hard as hell to get those button batteries out of the blister pack, and removing them from devices usually requires some effort as well.
Are parents just leaving CR2032's on coffee tables in candy jars?
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 6:45:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Too much voice for how shit works was ceded to women.
View Quote

Who tend to cognitive dissonance and hysteria, resulting in their "feelz" becoming an alternate reality. Huge mistake to give any credence to their BS.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 6:47:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
"The coddling of the American mind" talks a lot about this, especially with regard to the whole "bad think speech is not safe."

IIRC the big drivers are:
- Educational institutions are actively instilling ideas that run counter to good mental health practice.  For example teaching everyone that their feelings are of utmost importance.
- The toxic effects of social media, esp on Gen Z.
- The lack of unstructured, unsupervised outdoor play.
View Quote

Exactly!
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 7:54:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Is this is a big problem?  Or is it just another case of "If it saves just one child"?

Duracell, the most trusted battery brand, announced today its latest innovation in child safety, a bitter coating on its lithium coin batteries — sizes 2032, 2025, and 2016. This breakthrough innovation in the battery category is designed to help deter accidental ingestions. With coin battery ingestions on the rise over the past two decades and damage that can occur in just two hours from ingestion, Duracell was determined to provide parents and caregivers of young children with an additional safety feature, child-safe packaging, and supportive education to help reverse this rising and devastating trend.

https://www.duracell.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Key-Visual-600x339.jpg
View Quote

HUGE problem.  Causes esophageal necrosis and can lead to the kid never swallowing solid food again and/or death.  

Also, the problem with safety is that people don't understand numbers.  I've had people talk about shark attacks and snake bites that are obese and drive a car at 10 over the speed limit daily.  Double points for if they use tobacco.  Trying to get people to understand that they are ignoring modifiable risk factors, while being afraid of mathematically rare events usually draws a blank stare.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 8:24:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Lawyers/Lawsuits and the 19th Amendment
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 8:43:19 AM EDT
[#26]
once people bought the bullshit ( to sell bike helmets ) that riding a bike without a helmet was dangerous, it just snowballed to complete nonsense.

Sure it may be a good idea, but it isn't dangerous if you don't

we live in a society that is extremely risk averse to the point of ridiculous.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 9:27:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Have you ever had a co-worker killed at work?

Or sustain a life changing injury?

This is why we focus on safety!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nothing great was ever achieved by playing it safe.

It each quarter the focus seems to be on  ‘being safe’

My theory is that we are in a feminized era.

Yes.

They weren’t killed by lack of PPE or some dumbshit safety queer.

They were killed by a combination of piss-poor situational awareness, random chance, and sheer fucking stupidity.

Sometimes shit fucking happens. We’ve had equipment fail out of nowhere and nearly kill several folks, no sign of wear/negligence to be found. Had a weld fail during a pressure test, lull tipped over, sheet of drywall fall on a guy, hydraulic line bust loose, rebar come loose with folks climbing it, a fucking crane hook snap. Some of those could’ve been prevented by better situational awareness and positioning, but several were just plain unforeseeable.

How do you regulate a guy out of having a stroke and falling off his ladder? Or an idiot from ignoring the gigantic fucking machine that’s backing up? You can’t, stupid happens.

We do everything to prevent these things, but there comes a point when being technically “safe” is impractical to the point of dangerous, or only to protect the company’s pocketbook, rather than the worker’s life/limb. Assholes mandate gloves, nevermind that the only power tools being used are all rotary tools.

Some shit we do is just inherently dangerous. If it was safe and easy, women and children would be doing it. That doesn’t mean we should accept unnecessary risks, it means we shouldn’t be bubble wrapping ourselves like idiots in the hopes of not getting struck by lightning.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 6:24:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yes.

They were killed by a combination of piss-poor situational awareness, random chance, and sheer fucking stupidity.

Sometimes shit fucking happens. We’ve had equipment fail out of nowhere and nearly kill several folks, no sign of wear/negligence to be found. Had a weld fail during a pressure test, lull tipped over, sheet of drywall fall on a guy, hydraulic line bust loose, rebar come loose with folks climbing it, a fucking crane hook snap. Some of those could’ve been prevented by better situational awareness and positioning, but several were just plain unforeseeable.

How do you regulate a guy out of having a stroke and falling off his ladder? Or an idiot from ignoring the gigantic fucking machine that’s backing up? You can’t, stupid happens.

We do everything to prevent these things, but there comes a point when being technically “safe” is impractical to the point of dangerous, or only to protect the company’s pocketbook, rather than the worker’s life/limb. Assholes mandate gloves, nevermind that the only power tools being used are all rotary tools.

Some shit we do is just inherently dangerous. If it was safe and easy, women and children would be doing it. That doesn’t mean we should accept unnecessary risks, it means we shouldn’t be bubble wrapping ourselves like idiots in the hopes of not getting struck by lightning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nothing great was ever achieved by playing it safe.

It each quarter the focus seems to be on  ‘being safe’

My theory is that we are in a feminized era.

Yes.

Post is complete Bs. Otherwise there wouldn’t be structural steel companies that are the most profitable with the best safety records.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 6:28:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I’m 5 pages deep into the garbage of GD, so not sure if you’re seeing this OP.

1) You mother fuckers are sue happy as fat kids in Chuck E. Cheese.

2) I’m not telling your wife your dumb ass died being stupid when I had the power to stop it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 7:00:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The thing is, I didn’t fall to my death. And yes that country was better on this topic for not being a nanny towards me and others.

View Quote

This is a seriously pointless conversation.  Do I think the US overdoes it? Sure.  There's reasons for that.  Having ZERO safety concerns at ALL does not make it better, in any possible way.

Link Posted: 4/4/2023 8:10:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, OP, at what point should we just say "fuck safety"?

Please, give us your non-feminized ideas.

Yeah, no shit.  There's no shortage of things the NPS, et al, will let you walk right up to without rails or signs.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top