Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:01:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Polk county is south. We are all barefoot and live in trailers.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:06:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Guess you've never been to the north western part of Florida eh? Can't get much more southern than that my friend. Always been known as LA.....Lower Alabama.
View Quote

I've never heard anyone from the panhandle refer to themselves as from LA. I have heard many people from the Dothan/Andalusia/Enterprise area say that, but they do actually live in the state of Alabama. My mother is from that area, Ashford, and she says she's from LA.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:10:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Florida is North free Cuba.
View Quote

A little correction but, an important one. I love it here.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:15:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Because half of the state is Northerners or from overseas?  Big cultural difference between N Florida and S Florida...
View Quote

It isn't even North and South. Okeechobee County has more cattle than people and the largest Cow / Calf operation (Larger than the King Ranch) is South of Orlando. In Martin, Saint Lucie and Indian River counties all you have to do is go west of I-95 to be in citrus and cattle country. The Ram Circuit Finals Rodeo will be in Osceola county starting in 2015 and this is the 2nd year that the PRCA Champions Challenge is at the Silver Spurs Arena there. there are  six Indian reservations in Florida, most in the south.
Other than Orlando the biggest cultural divide is coastal vs. inland.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:20:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It isn't even North and South. Okeechobee County has more cattle than people and the largest Cow / Calf operation (Larger than the King Ranch) is South of Orlando. In Martin, Saint Lucie and Indian River counties all you have to do is go west of I-95 to be in citrus and cattle country. The Ram Circuit Finals Rodeo will be in Osceola county starting in 2015 and this is the 2nd year that the PRCA Champions Challenge is at the Silver Spurs Arena there. there are  six Indian reservations in Florida, most in the south.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because half of the state is Northerners or from overseas?  Big cultural difference between N Florida and S Florida...

This is true. East and west of I75 is night and day WTF happened type stuff. Pretty much the same thing with I95 until you get down towards NYC Miami.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:26:40 PM EDT
[#6]
The south ends somewhere around the I-4 corridor.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:28:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Get away from the over grown coastal areas and The Mouse .... you will find the south.  It's hard to get more southern than Belle Glade.
View Quote

+1 or Pahokee or Okeechobee or Arcadia
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Because it is our largest Northern State.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:31:48 PM EDT
[#9]
i thought south florida was technically cuba norte
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:37:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Are Delaware and Rhode Island neutral or just foreign?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#11]
The Hell We aren't.

Florida was the Third State to leave the Union During the Civil War or Abolition Movement. It took place on January 10th, 1861
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:40:16 PM EDT
[#12]
During the time of the Civil War (when the South was established), Florida was full of Seminoles. They didn't fight in the war and didn't secede since they were part of the Seminole nation.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:45:56 PM EDT
[#13]
It's not? Could have fooled me
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:54:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Republic of West Florida

Alabama and Mississippi had no Coast. It was taken from Florida!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:56:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Too many retired Yankees to call It southern.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:58:01 PM EDT
[#16]
the pan handle is most definitely part of the south.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:00:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Derp.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:02:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's full of Yankees.
View Quote

Once they get off the reservation they should be deported back north.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:20:07 PM EDT
[#19]
"Following Abraham Lincoln's election in 1860, Florida joined other Southern states in seceding from the Union. Secession took place January 10, 1861, and, after less than a month as an independent republic, Florida became one of the founding members of the Confederate States of America. As Florida was an important supply route for the Confederate Army,"

We also were one of the 1st states to go "Shall Issue" and some 38 states have followed using Florida as a model.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:27:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:33:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
"Following Abraham Lincoln's election in 1860, Florida joined other Southern states in seceding from the Union. Secession took place January 10, 1861, and, after less than a month as an independent republic, Florida became one of the founding members of the Confederate States of America. As Florida was an important supply route for the Confederate Army,"

We also were one of the 1st states to go "Shall Issue" and some 38 states have followed using Florida as a model.
View Quote

Revisionist history. I provided a more accurate account above. Damn Yankee.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:55:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You people up North are lucky you got any coastline. It was ours 1st.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:59:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The south ends somewhere around the I-4 corridor.
View Quote

Bingo.

Daytona is pretty much the last "Southern" city in FL.  The further south you go, the worse it gets.

There are small exeptions around the Everglades and Okeechobee.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:00:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Have you seen the crazy shit that appears there?

The south won't claim it, and the north doesn't want it until we're old and senile already.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:13:24 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

During the time of the Civil War (when the South was established), Florida was full of Seminoles. They didn't fight in the war and didn't secede since they were part of the Seminole nation.
View Quote
Not sure if serious or derp.

ETA lol nvm
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:18:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Too many Yankee assholes down there. It is their own little world. I know because I have to talk

to many of them daily....
View Quote
Because 8 out of 10 people in NC are from Florida?

Every time I go through there, it seems damn near everyone is from here.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:19:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

People that say that have never been to Madison, Perry, Live Oak, Two Egg, Sopchoppy, Red Level, Chiefland, Crawfordville, etc, etc, etc.
View Quote
Not all of us drive around stealing copper for our meth habits. If we did we would know of those places.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:38:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1000 this.  And Arcadia, Myakka,  Avon Park, Polk, Hardee, Desoto, Highlands , Hendry counties to name a few.  For all the Disney Experts from NJ/Ny that think they know the real Florida by driving the interstates they don't have a clue.  There is no way you can  say just North Florida is the only southern culture in FL.  Oh,  and Florida had cattle and cowboys long before any other state.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:43:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

+1000 this.  And Arcadia, Myakka,  Avon Park, Polk, Hardee, Desoto, Highlands , Hendry counties to name a few.  For all the Disney Experts from NJ/Ny that think they know the real Florida by driving the interstates they don't have a clue.  There is no way you can  say just North Florida is the only southern culture in FL.  Oh,  and Florida had cattle and cowboys long before any other state.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My mother (from Virginia originally) visited and remarked she had never seen cows with sidewalks before, as we drove by a pasture with a nice concrete sidewalk across the front.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:45:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

North Floridians are mostly Yankees....

Florida aint what it used to be.

besides. our congressional reps are RED down here. but you guys gave us Bill Fucking Nelson. lol
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:46:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That is all.
View Quote

Who in the hell came up with that? You aren't from there are you?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:49:21 PM EDT
[#32]

Georgia, Lousiana, and missispee are blue states.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:23:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Wish we would have got the panhandle.
View Quote

When I was in Pensacola in 76 you more or less had it.  Blue laws, language, meet at the Piggly-Wiggly and drive to see where Hank Williams Sr had his crash.  Loretta Lynn, Conway Twitty bong bong bong country music
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top