Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 12/13/2018 4:44:07 PM EDT
This is really awful. Is anyone here past the age of 65 and still working even though you don't want to anymore?

Retiring comfortably at 65 is now out of reach for millions of Americans. Tom Coomer was a machinist at the aerospace manufacturer McDonnell Douglas for 29 years, but the plant closed one year before he was due to get his full pension. Now 80 years old, he works as a greeter five days a week at a Walmart in Oklahoma.

While Coomer and his wife have downsized their lifestyle, it's still hard for them to make ends meet. They're just two of nearly 10 million Americans still working past the age of 65.

According to CBS News business analyst Jill Schlesinger, Americans are facing three main obstacles to retirement. They're living longer, median wages have stagnated over the past 20 years and a shift from pension plans to 401(k)s have all put a burden on employees.

But the National Bureau of Economic Research has found that working longer by even a short period of time can have a dramatic impact on retirement. For example, retiring at 66 instead of 62 can increase the standard of living in retirement by almost 33 percent.

"Hang in there until age 70, and your standard of living will improve nearly 75 percent," Schlesinger said.
View Quote
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/retirement/why-millions-of-americans-are-working-past-age-65/ar-BBQSpsZ?li=BBnbfcN
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:46:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:47:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I retired at 50.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:48:23 PM EDT
[#3]
If you work past your minimum retirement age, you are F-N stupid.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#4]
You must share your wealth...…………………..

of knowledge.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:49:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Due to decisions on education on my part, I will most likely never be able to retire.
It is what it is.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:49:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Retired at 45
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:51:06 PM EDT
[#7]
If you were a machinist for 29 years, have a pension and SS, there are plenty of places you can live without working at WM.  The issue at that point becomes choice of location and spending habits, not so much need.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#8]
My Dad just turned 69 and is still working but then again, he didn't work a whole lot the last 10 years.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:52:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not me. I'm not even 65 and quit working almost 10 years ago.  Fuck that.
View Quote
Same here but the wife still won't retire.

I can't really blame her, she works from home three days a week and pulls in some very good coin.

Every now and again I'll ask "when are you going to retire" and I never really get a firm answer.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:52:44 PM EDT
[#10]
work til 70, die 2 years later and you couldn't do anything more then hobble to the mailbox. but your financials were better................for your kids and relations.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Health insurance is the biggest obstacle to that.  Paying from 62 to 65 is damn near impossible for most.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I probably won't ever retire. But that is fairly common in my profession. No real need.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Man the job security of working somewhere 29 years is just crazy to think about.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I’ve been mostly working part time since my 30’s. Prolly never fully retire ever
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:54:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll be lucky to live to 65 let alone work after that.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:56:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Retired at 45
View Quote
Damn.  I'm 42 and have 2k in my savings account LOL
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:56:51 PM EDT
[#17]
All your eggs in one pension may not be the wisest decision, so it seems...
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:57:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I am planning on retiring at 65, will have my house paid off 6 months before I turn 35 and no kids....sooo should be pretty easy to accomplish.

I'm not working till I die.  I might start a "hobby business" or do something to earn some spare cash now and then but no way I'm working full time.  I'll need something to fill up my time with no grand kids to entertain.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:57:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Live fast , die young.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:57:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I feel for folks that got hit by medical issues, or something.  Doesn't take much to wreck financial plans, but what some people think they need to spend money on these days is nuts.  50k boat?  Yep, bigger truck to pull it, yep, huge house that costs a fortune, etc.

How many of you guys know people that know what an IRA is?  401k matching contributions?

Gotta load up that social media account with all kinds of look at me cool guy/gal stuff.

My brother once mentioned how tight fisted our father is.  I replied be glad, I have colleagues whose parents are so bad with money and saving that they moved in with their children.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:57:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Work or starve.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:58:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm working at 40 but don't want to any more.

Why are there millions of people working past 65?  Because there are now millions of people older than 65.  Wasn't always that way.

Stupid article is stupid.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:58:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I am 46 and at age 60...will make an assessment...if I enjoy my job...I will continue...if not...I am out the door.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:58:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Retired at 51 (LEO).
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:58:55 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll probably be working in some capacity until the end.

I don't want to just sit around.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:59:24 PM EDT
[#26]
We have cops that have been working 30-40 years.  I mean, crap, if I worked doing what i do, I’d be a 64 yr old patrolman at 40 yrs
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:59:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If you were a machinist for 29 years, have a pension and SS, there are plenty of places you can live without working at WM.  The issue at that point becomes choice of location and spending habits, not so much need.
View Quote
I construed the excerpt in the OP as this guy didn’t get his pension because the company folded, this the reason he is still welcoming folks to Walmart. Could be wrong though...
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 5:00:28 PM EDT
[#28]
These are cautionary tales.  If you learn the lesson that's being offered up for free here and and save your money, you won't have a problem.  The guy who the story makes and example of put all his eggs in one basket that he didn't control.  That kind of outcome is a complete shit sandwich but that doesn't mean you can't do anything about it

Your plan should include answers to questions like:

- What if my pension plan goes bust and I'm forced to take a haircut?
- What if I lose my job earlier than I planned?
- What if the stock market under performs over the next X number of years?
- What if the assumptions of the game (taxes, social security, ect) are modified by act of government between now and when I retire?

Answering those questions doesn't mean you count out social security, or your pension, or your stocks, or your bonds, or whatever.

It just means that you if you are dependent on a pension, you may want to put some backup money away in stocks or bonds.

If you are dependent on your 401k, you may want use a lower rate of return in your planning than the historical average.

If you need X number of years to hit "your number", maybe you need some private long term disability insurance in case you get injured and are unable to work up to your planned retirement date.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 5:05:08 PM EDT
[#29]
States that the problem is 401k but gives an example of a failed pension program.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 5:05:16 PM EDT
[#30]
I’m 33 and plan on retiring around 55-60, fuck working in my 60’s. Having said that my parents are 67 and 69 and have zero desire to retire yet. Well, I think my dad is close but my mom sure as hell isn’t, she had a hip replaced and went to work the next day cause she was bored.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Hmmm. Some quick math says that if I get the minimum annual raise my company has every year I’ll be making $356K at 65. They’ll have to fire me.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 5:05:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I am planning on retiring at 65, will have my house paid off 6 months before I turn 35 and no kids....sooo should be pretty easy to accomplish.

I'm not working till I die.  I might start a "hobby business" or do something to earn some spare cash now and then but no way I'm working full time.  I'll need something to fill up my time with no grand kids to entertain.
View Quote
I sometimes wonder why you don't see more single guys in their 30s driving lambos around because that is about what marriage and kids have cost me in the past five years.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 5:08:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
A guy I used to work with retired in March, at close to 70. He died 2 days ago.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 5:09:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
says he's in OK, so I am guessing it is not cost of living.  my bet: he had his generation's version of the brodozer, repeatedly.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 5:09:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Retirement for the masses has really only been going on for about 80 years.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I probably won't ever retire. But that is fairly common in my profession. No real need.
View Quote
Boiler inspector?
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Man the job security of working somewhere 29 years is just crazy to think about.
View Quote
I've worked at the same place for 19 years in January.  I am 40.  Good, professional job.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 5:10:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I worked with a dude that was receiving a full pension from a job he retired from, and was doing grunt work with guys in their 20's for like $15/hour because he said it's boring at home.

He just enjoyed getting out, doing some work and bullshitting all day with the guys.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 5:10:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Health insurance is the biggest obstacle to that.  Paying from 62 to 65 is damn near impossible for most.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This. I've ran the numbers. You have to be F'n stupid to take minimum retirement age unless you just won the powerball given what health insurance costs now, let alone in X number of years.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 5:10:48 PM EDT
[#40]
I've got college bound kids, 70+ for me.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 5:11:00 PM EDT
[#41]
The main reasons our elderly have to work past 65 is that we no longer have integral family units with grandparents living with or near their children.

The main reason for that is socioeconomic mobility and chasing the dollar or "lifestyle" that is not worth living if it places family as a lower priority.

Another reason is the way our homes are built, geared towards the self and not the family, and the indebtedness that people are trained to go into in order to acquire space that is too large for their income, then fill that space with more objects that they can't afford with consumer debt, which often requires both parents to work full-time (or one full-time, the other part-time), with no time for their child/children, who become less and less of a priority in the list of "things".
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 5:11:41 PM EDT
[#42]
There are legit reasons for some of these folks working past 65: an early death by a breadwinner; an illness; etc.  These people have my sympathy.

However, I'll bet the yuuuuge majority is due to 1) a lack of planning/saving, and 2) overspending during the prime earning years.  I know folks in my age group who just didn't plan and save enough.  They also chased the latest crap - bigger houses, new phones, new cars, boats, motor homes, more guns, etc.  They thought the gravy train would never end and they could save manana.  The article fails to mention people like that.  Why?

Now they're still working because they have to.  Choices have consequences.

Remember the story of the Little Red Hen?
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 5:14:09 PM EDT
[#43]
I guarantee you I will be working until death.
I'm 47 and don't want to work anymore.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 5:14:33 PM EDT
[#44]
65 was established as the retirement age when average life expectancy was 61...so today's retirement age should be ...82?
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Do to a divorce and poor planning on my part, I will never be able to retire...

I'll work till I die or am forced to quit.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 5:16:47 PM EDT
[#46]
$4 million in liquid assets or age 65, which ever comes first. I can do my job 3 days a week from home.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#47]
My dad retired at 58 from the power company, union pension/company “gap fill” until he hit SS age. They are just fine.

I plan on retiring in 25 years God willing with a state pension, a plump 401k, a few IRAs, but not SS lol that shit will be gone.

If shit doesn’t work out I’ll just go out my own way, I’m not working to death.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 5:19:05 PM EDT
[#48]
I have no illusion of retiring.  The economic depression put me behind financially and threw my career trajectory off quite a bit.  It is what it is, and I won't complain about it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 5:19:07 PM EDT
[#49]
People think they will retire at 65.    That’s about as much thought as they put in to retirement.    And that’s why people have to keep working.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#50]
If you work 30 years and don't have your own personal retirement account that you can do just fine on, what were you doing for those 30 years?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top