Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:37:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

LOL

e-peen.

I love these kinds of posts, making threats and calling people "internet tough guy", and I bet you don't even see the irony.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
'cause their Mom's have bad knees.

Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people. I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like that to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought. What do you think? Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.

LOL

e-peen.

I love these kinds of posts, making threats and calling people "internet tough guy", and I bet you don't even see the irony.

You better watch it or I will buy you a ticket too.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:15:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Dan, what's your average speed and miles covered for the above scenario ?

In New England, I average about 40 mph, for about 9 hours, ballpark.
So that would be about 22.40 / hour using his rates. What are these benefits you speak of? I had to buy my own CB and sat radio.
Good thing I dont get paid by the mile. I get a % of the total freight bill, currently.

And I'll use any lane I want, just like you do, GV.

View Quote

I run Texas and Arkansas,  with 75 and 70 mph speed limits, in an ungoverned truck.  I couldn't have a better situation to crank miles out.

On an absolutely perfect day,  I can do 684 miles  in 11 hours of drive time and make $280. With no benefits.  

Or I can have days where I go work and only get home that night because of looseleaf and don't get paid to have sat for 7 fucking hours.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:23:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Well as someone who is a truck driver let me see if I can answer.   There are two sides to the industry.  Solid Load and  LTL (Less Than Load).    OTR guys are really solid load guys.   They basically drive for a living.  As an LTL I "back for a living".  What that means is whereas the OTR guys might hit one or two docks in a week I might hit 15 a day.    The OTR lifestyle sucks.   So many of those guys are fat as hell.  I mean hell all they do is sit all day and drive.   I climb in and out of the truck all day long.   The OTR guys eat at truck stops and eat shitty crappy food.  I'm home every day.  Which allows me to go to the gym and have somewhat of a normal life.  But even my job precludes much of a social life.  Go into work in the morning and get home in the evening.   But I am off every weekend.  So that's great.   I make good money and the benefits are good.   I'll never be rich but I'll never be poor either.   And that CDL in my pocket is a guaranteed job.   I have all my endorsements including Haz-Mat.  Not just anybody can do what I do.   The places we LTL guys have to get a tandem and a 53' trailer into sometimes takes skill.   I've watched people try it before and then realize its not for them.   The worst thing is just dealing with the people on the road.   I am DEFINITELY not a fan of cellphones.    Govt. regulations are going to end up precluding anybody from driving one before long.  Its just ridiculous some of the crap.   I doubt any of you know this but the new trucks sold today burn CLEANER than the new cars sold today.    The emissions systems on the trucks my company I work for is buying  cost $15,000 alone.   A replacement filter for those systems cost $3000.  And guess what the mechanics at work are having to work on with the new trucks all the time?   Yep you guessed it.  The emissions systems.    The amount of cost that it has added to just the company I work for in parts and labor and upkeep for those emissions systems is RIDICULOUS.   Thanks a lot our wonderful government.   And all that cost just gets passed on.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:29:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people. I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like that to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought. What do you think? Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you'd stop buying her all that imitation crab meat she might feel better.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:37:23 AM EDT
[#5]
honestly it just doesn't seem pleasant.

i've considered it before. i'd never want to drive a CDL A truck through a city. the traffic would just be stressful with a truck that big in a crowded area. that and your stuck in a truck cab all day, just sitting there driving.

fuck that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:16:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
honestly it just doesn't seem pleasant.

i've considered it before. i'd never want to drive a CDL A truck through a city. the traffic would just be stressful with a truck that big in a crowded area. that and your stuck in a truck cab all day, just sitting there driving.

fuck that.
View Quote

That's not the most stressful part of the job.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:22:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Why? B/c "Ask a guy sitting in a parking lot for 56hrs" threads, Thats why.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:03:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sister company of the one I work for has a difficult time finding drivers as the insurance won't cover them until they have 2+ years experience and ZERO violations

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It just amazes me that every one of the local companies has got signs and billboards and web ads about how desperate they are for drivers but they won't hire anyone that doesn't have 6-12 mos of OTR

Sister company of the one I work for has a difficult time finding drivers as the insurance won't cover them until they have 2+ years experience and ZERO violations

Bullshit. The insurance company isn't the ones behind that policy, they are just the ones that get blamed.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:15:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Again, that's not how 99.5% of trucking works when dealing with freight. Hauling RVs is speciality.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:17:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

First one that wipes out a car and occupants will put the kibosh on that whole program after the lawsuit.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dead end career. 18-wheelers will be automated in 10-15 years.

http://cdn1.sciencefiction.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Terminator-Genisys-Terminator-1024x681.jpg

Maybe, perhaps, if MIRACULOUS changes happen in distribution networks, you might see point-to-point automation - but you'll NEVER see driverless big-rigs navigating 100% of the routes out there now, our infrastructure, guidance technology, and the all-too-frail human dispatching issues make it impossible.

I'd bet my life's savings that in 20 years, not even 10% of the trucking industry is fully automated.

First one that wipes out a car and occupants will put the kibosh on that whole program after the lawsuit.  

A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:52:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Again, that's not how 99.5% of trucking works when dealing with freight. Hauling RVs is speciality.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:39:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I said in my post previously.

You delay one of my trucks. You pay me. Easy as that.

Detention/demerg is a very serious thing for my company as well as majority of trucking companies that I deal with. Which is a large number of them and some major players in the US.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:46:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I figured
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I figured

Is somebody going to spoil the joke?

These teeners have no idea whats going on.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'd agree that this is a factor, and more of a factor in states where marijuana is now legal for recreational use - WA, OR, CO. I know it's hard to find drivers in my AO. If you have a CDL-A you can make $1K/week starting tomorrow and be home most nights.

The job pays reasonably well. $50K/year just about anywhere in the country, more if you're rated for HAZMAT, doubles, etc.

It's just brutal. It's not like driving a car every day all day. Then you have the hours, many jobs require a lot of nights away from home and some require more time away from home than not. That kind of thing would be rough on a marriage, not to mention how difficult it could be if you have a kids to go with the wife.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Less significant though still an issue is consistently passing the drug screening.

I'd agree that this is a factor, and more of a factor in states where marijuana is now legal for recreational use - WA, OR, CO. I know it's hard to find drivers in my AO. If you have a CDL-A you can make $1K/week starting tomorrow and be home most nights.

The job pays reasonably well. $50K/year just about anywhere in the country, more if you're rated for HAZMAT, doubles, etc.

It's just brutal. It's not like driving a car every day all day. Then you have the hours, many jobs require a lot of nights away from home and some require more time away from home than not. That kind of thing would be rough on a marriage, not to mention how difficult it could be if you have a kids to go with the wife.

LOL,

I drove heavy trucks (HET, PLS, M-916...etc) for 20 years in the Military.

Qualified in HAZMAT and explosives transport and hauled tanks on the German autobahn.

No accidents, no tickets, decades of driving experience.

Contacted multiple companies before I retired and they all told me to fuck off. They refused to consider all the shit I did in the Military and told me that I was considered as an " inexperienced driver". I tried like hell to find a company in Oregon but with the cost of living there it's almost impossible.

After that, I decided to stay the hell away from truck driving.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:52:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I figured

What joke? You think his mother is a joke? Is she a clown? Does she amuse you?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:14:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No clue what so ever..... I've been there done that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:55:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Bullshit. The insurance company isn't the ones behind that policy, they are just the ones that get blamed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It just amazes me that every one of the local companies has got signs and billboards and web ads about how desperate they are for drivers but they won't hire anyone that doesn't have 6-12 mos of OTR

Not BS, I've gone round and round with my insurance company over this. They keep saying NO. Hell I've even told them that I would take the newbs out for the first 90 days, still said no. I've got 18 years clean driving, with ZERO accidents. Still no go. Its their way to mitigate loss. Even if it puts a strain on smaller companies like mine. I would love to be able to take drivers with just the basic skills and teach them the way I was taught, hell there would be a new class of old school drivers if I could.
The truck Ins companies are just another racket that pays of the .gov to get what they want and fuck every one in the process.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:58:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My family has been doing this for 97 years.

How long have you been doing it?

I'll run with my experiences. Sorry you get hosed.

Edit;

Going back to another thread... I'm fairly certain I have the largest fleet on arfcom. Over 100 company owned trucks and vehicles.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:04:07 PM EDT
[#20]
UPS Feeder drivers make more money than they want to, but I bet every one of them hates it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:15:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Qualified in HAZMAT and explosives transport and hauled tanks on the German autobahn.

Contacted multiple companies before I retired and they all told me to fuck off. They refused to consider all the shit I did in the Military and told me that I was considered as an " inexperienced driver". I tried like hell to find a company in Oregon but with the cost of living there it's almost impossible.

View Quote

The last military truck driver we hired couldnt drive a stick. Thats a deal breaker with us.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:17:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

UPS Feeder drivers make more money than they want to, but I bet every one of them hates it.
View Quote

I know a few of them, nobody I know hates it.
You guys can complain all you want about unions. Teamsters Local 174 in Seattle has pretty darn good compensation.

The feeder drivers have an insane hourly package.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:32:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Edit;

Going back to another thread... I'm fairly certain I have the largest fleet on arfcom. Over 100 company owned trucks and vehicles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit;

Some companies get paid.

Drivers make $30-50 a day for sitting not in a dock.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:35:10 AM EDT
[#24]
I love watching people miss a meme
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Still curious on the professional part
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:47:28 AM EDT
[#26]
So what we decide?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm in my second year of progression, so say half scale, and I don't hate it. Maybe once I get to full scale I'll learn to hate it...
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Man, I guess it depends who you talk too and what they are moving.

What owner operators need, what, $1.40/mi to make money now? The foreign non owning team OTR drivers are taking routes from Ontario to southern border and back for a few hundred each after it's all said and done.

I meet some that are too busy and making money hand over fist, meet others that are hurting and looking for other work.

I guy I flew with the Marines got out, became a truck driver moving feeder trailers regionally. Quit, became a cop, and went back to truck driving due to him missing all the $$ he was making.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:34:30 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Not BS, I've gone round and round with my insurance company over
this. They keep saying NO. Hell I've even told them that I would take
the newbs out for the first 90 days, still said no. I've got 18 years
clean driving, with ZERO accidents. Still no go. Its their way to
mitigate loss. Even if it puts a strain on smaller companies like mine. I
would love to be able to take drivers with just the basic skills and
teach them the way I was taught, hell there would be a new class of old
school drivers if I could.

The truck Ins companies are just another racket that pays of the .gov to get what they want and fuck every one in the process.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
It just amazes me that every one of the local companies has got
signs and billboards and web ads about how desperate they are for
drivers but they won't hire anyone that doesn't have 6-12 mos of OTR

Not BS, I've gone round and round with my insurance company over
this. They keep saying NO. Hell I've even told them that I would take
the newbs out for the first 90 days, still said no. I've got 18 years
clean driving, with ZERO accidents. Still no go. Its their way to
mitigate loss. Even if it puts a strain on smaller companies like mine. I
would love to be able to take drivers with just the basic skills and
teach them the way I was taught, hell there would be a new class of old
school drivers if I could.

Same here we deal directly with our agent

we submit a copy of their DL/Medcard to the insurance company and they send us back a copy of their MVR and a decision if they will cover them or not

Its not the companies decision or policy , we would have no problem with a enthusiastic competent newbie especially over some of the old crusty flaky dipshits we have had to deal with
I am sure other places will cover as these guys end up working somewhere but ours will not , probably because we only have a handful of drivers and the risk pool is small

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:43:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The last military truck driver we hired couldnt drive a stick. Thats a deal breaker with us.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems like a good topic to cover in the interview process.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:50:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well as someone who is a truck driver let me see if I can answer.   There are two sides to the industry.  Solid Load and  LTL (Less Than Load).    OTR guys are really solid load guys.   They basically drive for a living.  As an LTL I "back for a living".  What that means is whereas the OTR guys might hit one or two docks in a week I might hit 15 a day.    The OTR lifestyle sucks.   So many of those guys are fat as hell.  I mean hell all they do is sit all day and drive.   I climb in and out of the truck all day long.   The OTR guys eat at truck stops and eat shitty crappy food.  I'm home every day.  Which allows me to go to the gym and have somewhat of a normal life.  But even my job precludes much of a social life.  Go into work in the morning and get home in the evening.   But I am off every weekend.  So that's great.   I make good money and the benefits are good.   I'll never be rich but I'll never be poor either.   And that CDL in my pocket is a guaranteed job.   I have all my endorsements including Haz-Mat.  Not just anybody can do what I do.   The places we LTL guys have to get a tandem and a 53' trailer into sometimes takes skill.   I've watched people try it before and then realize its not for them.   The worst thing is just dealing with the people on the road.   I am DEFINITELY not a fan of cellphones.    Govt. regulations are going to end up precluding anybody from driving one before long.  Its just ridiculous some of the crap.   I doubt any of you know this but the new trucks sold today burn CLEANER than the new cars sold today.    The emissions systems on the trucks my company I work for is buying  cost $15,000 alone.   A replacement filter for those systems cost $3000.  And guess what the mechanics at work are having to work on with the new trucks all the time?   Yep you guessed it.  The emissions systems.    The amount of cost that it has added to just the company I work for in parts and labor and upkeep for those emissions systems is RIDICULOUS.   Thanks a lot our wonderful government.   And all that cost just gets passed on.
View Quote

Of all the driving jobs I've had LTL was the best.

If you are a good driver LTL will find you. Pretty much the only way to get into LTL is experience and knowing somebody there already to get your foot in the door . Also there is very little turn over.

Best OTR gig is a large company that hauls its own product like ADM or Wal-Mart. They tend to pay better have nicer equipment and take care of their drivers. Those companies also tend to be difficult to get into. Specialized pays quite well and can be difficult to get into but has even more regulatory headaches.

Some of the best companies have waiting lists because the have virtually no turn over because they don't hire "Seat Meat" while others hire drivers by the bus load paying pennies knowing there is another bus load of new applicants arriving next week
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:36:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
When the Saudis can't deflate the price of fuel anymore cargo will be back on trains where it belongs.
View Quote

LOL. No......
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:08:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

But, can DriverBot v. 1.2 or .3 actually snap the sets together?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But, can DriverBot v. 1.2 or .3 actually snap the sets together?

Nope, and he won't be able to check his straps or chains on that flatbed load of pipe either...
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:18:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
1. Govt regulations.
2. Most OTR companies are extremely shitty to work for. This includes but not limited to:
- mileage pay (not including 'out of route miles', only paying loaded miles. Etc.)
- taking a % of the FSC away from the driver.
- gross % of the load pay. ( companies skim from the top )
- sucking drivers into truck leases from the company. Or truck purchases via the company. So you get an old, out of date, broken truck at the end of 5+ years.
- mandating new equipment (3-5 years old at signing max.) Thus sucking the driver into more debt.

I can go on. I employ 6 individuals that I consider OTR drivers. They get paid hourly. If they're sitting waiting to get loaded, or unloaded. They get paid. If they're driving, they get paid. If they're sitting in traffic, they get paid.

All the guys I employ came from the previous situations above. They all can't believe how nice it is to get a consistent pay check. And not have to rush, or hurry, etc. Sure, it costs me a bit more money. But they will also do whatever I need, when I need it done. At the end, I'd rather pay more for a good, loyal, employee.
View Quote

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top