Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 8:47:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Another leftist crusader full of shit, shocking I tell you.

BTW from what I understand, rail could haul a lot more overland freight but is prevented from doing so by law.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 8:49:33 AM EDT
[#2]
This is just a commercial to promote unions and government regulation of the trucking industry.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 8:54:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think it’s similar to other fields such as manufacturing, welding, etc. Beginning in the 1980’s, “Society” deemed it to be an undesirable career for uneducated low achievers and it was represented as such. It was the dead-end hell that the movie protagonists were trying to escape. Everyone had to go to college so they could work in an office and not get their hands dirty.
Fast forward a generation, and here we are. Baristas with PhD’s and skilled trades desperate for anyone with a pulse.
View Quote
IMO, from what I’ve seen, skilled trades are suffering from finding someone who doesn’t do drugs and lazy asses on the .gov tit.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 8:56:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think it’s similar to other fields such as manufacturing, welding, etc. Beginning in the 1980’s, “Society” deemed it to be an undesirable career for uneducated low achievers and it was represented as such. It was the dead-end hell that the movie protagonists were trying to escape. Everyone had to go to college so they could work in an office and not get their hands dirty.
Fast forward a generation, and here we are. Baristas with PhD’s and skilled trades desperate for anyone with a pulse.
View Quote
Work in the trades and you have a series of dead end jobs instead of a career, get treated like disposable shit, and have to live on the road or work for next poverty wages in one place.

It's great!
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 9:02:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 9:10:26 AM EDT
[#6]
So a guy making 6 figures driving trucks is saying truck driving is a "poverty profession" on PBS of all places. Bullshit. Truck drivers are needed now more than ever. Same with tradesmen.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 9:12:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Work in the trades and you have a series of dead end jobs instead of a career, get treated like disposable shit, and have to live on the road or work for next poverty wages in one place.

It's great!
View Quote
You are disposable shit to that "career" too
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 9:19:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My CDL has been very good to me, I've made a hell of a lot more money than I ever did in the Navy. Specialized trucking is the way to go.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/119852/IMG-20170202-134336557-140980.jpg
View Quote
The heavy hauler guys I work with all seem to have their shit together.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 9:25:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm 100% behind the idea of autonomous trucks if they can be programmed to avoid blocking the fast lane for 30 min. at a stretch by trying to pass another truck going 1 mph slower.
View Quote
That is the fault of the cocksucker in the right lane. He can get off the throttle for 15 seconds and let me pass.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 9:26:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's great!
View Quote
This opinion brought to you by the progressive agenda.  Congrats on buying into leftist bull.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 9:34:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Would they hire a clean cop?

Somewhat serious.... wife and I vest in 2020. We still want to move out of Florida and I'd like to stay as a reserve cop wherever we settle down. But want to go into business and make some serious cash.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 9:34:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Do all the trades at once, become a farmer.  I have class a cdl, can weld about anything, know how to electrical wire, plumbing, fertilizer technician, animal husbandry, dual college degrees and called FSA on arfcom.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 10:08:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A buddy of mine is hauling diesel to frac sites in the Permian and has sent me screen shots of his first 3 paychecks. I can't figure out how he's not going to break way over 100k. I might be joining him soon.
View Quote
He will if he works all year.

Hauling solely to frac sites has its disadvantages too.  They are not always fracking.

People who dont drive, dont realize you can make more doing it than you would if you worked in some salaried  office job 10 hours a day  for 60-80k.  I know a shit ton of white collar office people who think they are rollin in it and they make 50k. and thats laughable trucker money..... meanwhile they look down their noses at the truckers.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 10:33:52 AM EDT
[#14]
The Australians get a lot of things wrong.

One of the things they get right is now they define middle class. You must own your home. No mortgages.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 10:36:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What's the difference?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When was truck driving ever middle class, seems solidly working class to me.
What's the difference?
one shops at Costco
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 10:53:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

IMO, from what I’ve seen, skilled trades are suffering from finding someone who doesn’t do drugs and lazy asses on the .gov tit.
View Quote
Finding someone with a work ethic who doesn't use drugs, has an IQ above room temperature, and isn't a raging asshole is challenging. We had to fire one methbilly genius for attempting (partially successfully!) to deadlift a 1500lb piece of scrap steel after being repeatedly told by multiple supervisors to wait until it was torched up into manageable pieces. Fucked up his back, obviously.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 10:58:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A fresh CDL holder working for one of the big freight haulers (Swift, CR England, Werner, Stevens...) isn't making much more than $30k. I briefly pull refers for Stevens, my 1st year (if I stayed with them) I would have made about $37k. Of course most drivers only stay with those companies just long enough to rack up some miles and move on to better paying companies, the turn over at Stevens was around 90% for 1st year drivers and about 95% for 2nd year drivers.
View Quote
First year phone company repair techs don’t make shit either.

Entry level jobs don’t pay shit for new law school grads either.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 11:02:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Guy drives countless miles hauling freight, and writes one book and they label him "author".  Reminds me of the joke about the brick layer...
View Quote
Well, he does come from a 'literary' family so he's definitely holding up the family tradition.

Always good to have 'inside connections' when you're trying to get on a best seller list somewhere.

He's an 'author' now!
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 11:05:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This. Top programers are still unable to create driverless trucks that will pass another truck on a two lane highway only going .01 mph faster than the truck in the right lane. We could be decades away from a solution.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We're still a long way from driverless trucks.
This. Top programers are still unable to create driverless trucks that will pass another truck on a two lane highway only going .01 mph faster than the truck in the right lane. We could be decades away from a solution.
Nope. It will be here much, much sooner than you think.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 11:06:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don’t know WTF this guy is smoking! I know several hundred truckers. None of them make less than 70k a year and half are bumping or breaking 100k. Average truckers are not making 30k like he claims.
View Quote
PBS hit piece.

Unions good.

Orange man bad.

Big government good.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 11:09:25 AM EDT
[#21]
When a truck can navigate a snowy, icy, muddy construction site, find Equipment, unscree their fuel cap, unroll the hose, fill the equipment and get out. And costs under 5 million dollars.

We'll talk.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 11:11:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Somewhat serious.... wife and I vest in 2020. We still want to move out of Florida and I'd like to stay as a reserve cop wherever we settle down. But want to go into business and make some serious cash.
View Quote
Where do you want to move to?
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 11:12:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Well, he does come from a 'literary' family so he's definitely holding up the family tradition.

Always good to have 'inside connections' when you're trying to get on a best seller list somewhere.

He's an 'author' now!
View Quote
Author is a bedbugger.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 11:14:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Middle class is what working class people who don’t know any better think they are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's the difference?
Middle class is what working class people who don’t know any better think they are.
lol please define how you see both

Also, what do you do?
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 11:26:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We're still a long way from driverless trucks.
let me know when there is driverless snowplow trucks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 11:36:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Another leftist crusader full of shit, shocking I tell you.

BTW from what I understand, rail could haul a lot more overland freight but is prevented from doing so by law.
View Quote

What law is that?
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 11:37:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 11:44:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Median middle class household income after taxes is around 70k. the majority of CDL holders make more than that.  Add in a spousal income and you are well above the average.

you guys are confusing blue collar with white collar
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 11:46:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well stated.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Out west like Arizona or Nevada
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 11:53:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm 100% behind the idea of autonomous trucks if they can be programmed to avoid blocking the fast lane for 30 min. at a stretch by trying to pass another truck going 1 mph slower.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 11:56:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Excellent summation.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Median middle class household income after taxes is around 70k. the majority of CDL holders make more than that.  Add in a spousal income and you are well above the average.

you guys are confusing blue collar with white collar
View Quote
Its one of those jobs where you can make a lot of money if you're willing to be away from home for weeks at a time.

My boss was an O/O but after he had kids it wasnt working out for his family life so he gave it up and took a regular job....and took a $45k/year pay cut to do so.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 12:03:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I did 1.7 million miles and I'm out. Wages have been flat, and inflation is rampant. The juice ain't worth the squeeze anymore.
View Quote
What?
Where did you get that idea?
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 12:08:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
I knew to guys who drove big rigs and they did very well
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 12:12:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Can’t find a decent welder these days. All the good ones have been locked down by employers who know their worth.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 1:18:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Interesting point.  In the old class system, rich were basically nobility.  They could afford professions like dr and lawyer-or simply choose not to work since they were capitalists (living off investments or owning large companies that were largely run by others).

Small business owners (merchants) were middle class.  This included most professionals.  Working class were not middle class.  The closest there was to a welfare class were beggers and gypsies.   Working class were poor, but poor was the norm-not an exception to it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 1:59:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The Australians get a lot of things wrong.

One of the things they get right is now they define middle class. You must own your home. No mortgages.
View Quote
Ok, I got it. You are a middle class if you own your shack in a ghetto free and clear but having a $200,000 mortgage on a $1,000,000 house in a nice neighborhood makes you a working poor.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 2:04:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Guy drives countless miles hauling freight, and writes one book and they label him "author".
View Quote
Uhhhhh  . . . . that's pretty much the definition of an "author."

author (ô´ther) noun
1.The original writer of a literary work
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 2:08:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Bears repeating,also a driving force for importing labor from south of the border
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 2:09:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Gotta specialize, bro.  Make your CDL work for you instead of the other way around.

I had the best financial year of my life in 2018.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/69748/2015-03-23_20-582122_JPG-822979.JPG
View Quote
Good for you sir
Nice to hear about other's successes!
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 2:18:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 2:35:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What law is that?
View Quote
Some Cold War era policy regulating freight. Don't know the details but saw a interview with the head of BNSF and he cited it as a limiting factor to rail freight
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Middle class is what working class people who don't know any better think they are.
View Quote
Middle class are those people who have just enough money to be able to afford their own opinion at the voting booth.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 2:51:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
They will be programmed just the opposite.  As rolling roadblocks, to ensure no one exceeds the speed limit.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Most working class (also referred to as low class or poor) people in America falsely think they are actually middle class.

An easy way I define it.

Poor: has nothing.

Working class: depends solely on work, and can't save.

Middle class: depends on work and some assets, and can save.

Upper class: doesn't depend on work due to large assets (passive income).
View Quote
Then there are a whole lot of Americans who are working class, that choose to drive fancy cars and live in expensive homes; rather than move up a class.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 3:31:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Then there are a whole lot of Americans who are working class, that choose to drive fancy cars and live in expensive homes; rather than move up a class.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most working class (also referred to as low class or poor) people in America falsely think they are actually middle class.

An easy way I define it.

Poor: has nothing.

Working class: depends solely on work, and can't save.

Middle class: depends on work and some assets, and can save.

Upper class: doesn't depend on work due to large assets (passive income).
Lower class is anyone who has to answer to a boss imo.

Middle class are your working business owners

Upper class is the filthy rich.

It's not about the money made, it's about being able to be the boss, to have an affluent status.
You can make 1 million a year and still be a slave, and no one gives a shit about you or your opinion, because you're a slave, a nobody.

If you own your own business people will treat you differently.

If you're "fuck you money" rich, people will treat you differently to an even greater degree.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You're entitled to your elitist opinion.  We're entitled to use it to calibrate your character.

I'll take a working man any day over one with your attitude.  I'm more interested in the man that is willing and wants to work, than in what he does, his income, where he lives, or what he drives.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's the difference?
You're entitled to your elitist opinion.  We're entitled to use it to calibrate your character.

I'll take a working man any day over one with your attitude.  I'm more interested in the man that is willing and wants to work, than in what he does, his income, where he lives, or what he drives.
Nothing he asserted made any declaration or implication of worth or character. That was all in your head. Thank you for sort of making the point, though. People (you, for example) clearly consider the term “working class” to have a negative connotation. The same is true with “upper class.” Hence, everyone is middle class. Just ask them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's the difference?

I’m not in any way one of the “elite”. I’m just honest with myself about how shit works, people who are hungry for false status eat it up when pundits tell them they’re middle class because it appeals to their vanity.

There’s more to being “middle class” than a straight gross income metric, in my opinion. If you make 60k a year (which isn’t really much money anymore) but the only way you do it is by grinding OT in shitty working conditions, that’s not middle class. That’s working class who works a lot. They might make the same money but they don’t have the same quality of life.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top