BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:11:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It can't be a '70s thred unless you had these things hanging on your wall:

http://www.chicagonow.com/raising-coconuts/files/2011/06/spoon-and-fork-624x1364.jpg
View Quote
Ha! My parents had some of those, my uncle was stationed in the Philippines and gave them to my mother one year.

My house also had an intercom system. I've removed the main unit and most of the speakers, one is still outside the garage door let into the brickwork; I'll let the next owners of this house tear that one out. All the paneling has either been removed or covered with sheetrock but I still have a sunken living room which I don't mind, adds a little extra ceiling height in there.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:14:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes. Lots of pukey colors were popular back in the 1970's.

The first house my parents had contained rust orange shag carpet.

And, the toilet in the 100 year old home that we're renovating was avocado green when we moved in.  It has since been replaced.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:23:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
We had an avocado green fridge into the late 90's. That thing would not die. 
View Quote
Those appliances were built to last, only reason folks got rid of them was when they finally conked out, there were no more parts available.

All these colors extended to airline interiors too. Oddball colors just scattered about the cabin.

And then there was Braniff........
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:32:02 PM EDT
[#4]
The house I grew up in had green fixtures and flooring. My mom sold it a couple of years ago. It was still the nicest house in the neighborhood but that is not saying much.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:34:58 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote
The color of the countertops in my house when I bought it 21 years ago.  Built in 1977.  Burnt Orange.   
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:35:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Everything was avocado green back then. Same reason any fashion trend rises and falls. Shag carpet, water beds, lava lamps etc. Everything has it's moment of popularity
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:37:37 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote
Don't forget about the plastic seat covers that your ass stuck to on hot summer days. That and big old bench seats you could fit three or four kids across on.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:38:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Makes you wonder if what we currently consider to be the apex of architectural design will be considered outdated and ugly one day. 

https://i.imgur.com/CAu7c5A.jpg
View Quote
Of course it will
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:45:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Studies found it to be calming, de-stressing, etc.

I think the mil/gov actually drove that one.

Common color on bases and in gov/mil offices.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:46:20 PM EDT
[#10]
It was the 70's.  You had to be there to understand it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:49:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Same reason pastels were big in the 90s. People are gross.

http://uglyhousephotos.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/091107g.jpg
View Quote
I want to sit on the floor in front of that couch eating spaghettios watching talespin and ducktales until my grandma yells at me to not make a mess
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm feeling oddly nostalgic yet repulsed at the same time. 
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:57:31 PM EDT
[#13]
We had a plastic rake in the corner. To fluff up the shag carpeting. And to help it not get "wear spots"...
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#14]
My house still has pink subway tile in the powder room. I can't wait to rip that out.

Quoted:
I literally spewed the iced tea I was drinking.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why was avocado green a color choice for houses in the 70s?

Because drugs
I literally spewed the iced tea I was drinking.
You lucked out, I went looking for a Tony Montana picture to post.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:16:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Reefer madness.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:25:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Don't forget about the plastic seat covers that your ass stuck to on hot summer days. That and big old bench seats you could fit three or four kids across on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Fingerhut for the waffle-shaped, 2nd degree burns on a hot Texas day win!
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:32:18 PM EDT
[#17]
My mom had a ovocado green 77 cutlass supreme with vinyl top when I was a kid in the 90s

We called it the hoopty
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Totally 1970s. All it needs is the Brady Bunch.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:46:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I miss the '70s  
View Quote
I don't. Not one bit. Except for all the fast and loose chicks.

In their harvest gold tank tops and avocado green hip huggers.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:52:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It can't be a '70s thred unless you had these things hanging on your wall:

http://www.chicagonow.com/raising-coconuts/files/2011/06/spoon-and-fork-624x1364.jpg
View Quote
LOL. We had those.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 4:51:13 AM EDT
[#21]
It's funny, all this talk about appliances lasting forever back in the 1970s/back in the day, there's a lot of truth to that.  We built things to last back then.  Today, shit is cheap and disposable, and it's basically accepted.

My neighbor bought a plug-in electric kitchen can opener in 1988.  It lasted until 2015 when it finally died.  Could you imagine any Made-In-China kitchen appliance lasting 27 years today?

We've lost something in America.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 4:55:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Holy shit my parents kitchen had that exact wallpaper when I was like 7. 1977. It actually had some texture to it, like very thin velvet, IIRC.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 4:59:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's funny, all this talk about appliances lasting forever back in the 1970s/back in the day, there's a lot of truth to that.  We built things to last back then.  Today, shit is cheap and disposable, and it's basically accepted.

My neighbor bought a plug-in electric kitchen can opener in 1988.  It lasted until 2015 when it finally died.  Could you imagine any Made-In-China kitchen appliance lasting 27 years today?

View Quote
Yep.   This is why I scour junk shops for old tools.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:00:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So we are looking at a home to possibly purchase and one of the first ones we looked at had 1 owner and dates back to the 70s 

It needs work but the first thing my attention gets drawn to was the carpet....avocado green? Was that a thing in the 70s?
View Quote

Lots of drugs around in the early 70's.  I can't help but wonder if that had something to do with it.  House I grew up in (and that Im now), had pink bathroom tiles and fixtures in one bathroom, harvest gold in another one.  Those have long since been replaced, but the harvest gold counter tops and kitchen backsplash are still there, as is the fake wood paneling on one wall in the living room.  I keep meaning to have those replaced, but it's pretty damn expensive.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:01:13 AM EDT
[#25]
View Quote
Wow, AND they had that exact fondue set, with the color coded forks and all. I feel my age now...
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:09:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Tastes change. I think you must already know that, but you really enjoy posing questions to the forum, no?

40 years ago “normal” people would consider somebody (especially a woman!) with a full arm, leg, back, etc. tattoo as a circus freak. It would have been a complete deal breaker for hiring, marrying, and (maybe) fucking. ??
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 6:29:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Someone is going to think the same shit about subway tile in a few years.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:39:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I want to sit on the floor in front of that couch eating spaghettios watching talespin and ducktales until my grandma yells at me to not make a mess
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same reason pastels were big in the 90s. People are gross.

http://uglyhousephotos.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/091107g.jpg
You're singing the song of my people.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:45:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:48:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:50:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I lived thru the late 60’s and 70’s... The house we live in now was a fairly high end custom built in 1975 / 1976.

Master Bathroom - Avacado Green tub & cultured marble surround
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/189008/039714A8-4300-4953-BA04-90FCCA052F00-328275.JPG

Hall bathroom- Harvest Gold tub and cultured marble surround I replaced the matching one piece low-boy toilet because it ran constantly and the water bill was getting to expensive.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/189008/9128A180-7778-4812-8F74-9C6053E82005-328285.JPG

3rd Bathroom - Aegean Blue tub & cultured marble surround. I replaced the matching one piece low-boy toilet because it ran constantly and the water bill was getting to expensive.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/189008/6B324422-6268-403A-8122-612EC5547762-328301.JPG

The house had an intercom system with a fold out 8 track player. I removed it and patched the humongous hole when I stripped the wallpaper and painted walls in the kitchen.
View Quote
You know something? If that was my house, I would totally run with it. Own it. Turn it into a living museum that celebrated 1976. Call it your very own bicentennial house. Go with period correct furniture, appliances - all of it. It'd be kind of awesome. 
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:02:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Granite countertops and stainless steel are going to be the new avocado green and harvest gold.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why is everything earthtone and faux stone now?
Granite countertops and stainless steel are going to be the new avocado green and harvest gold.
I hope not

The next time I renovate I'm going rustic so it will be timeless.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:03:04 PM EDT
[#34]
We had macrame hanging planters over our indoor balcony, and my parents had a macrame glass table that hung from the ceiling, as a nightstand...next to their waterbed. Far out, right? 

Mom and Dad kept the 70's alive and well right up until about 1989. Fondue night was a pretty regular thing, too. 

Then the 90's happened, and our couch and curtains looked like a flower shop, and somebody thought it was a great idea to paint the walls with various shades of teal and peach paint, and a sponge.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:13:32 PM EDT
[#35]
A friend has a bathroom with an avocodo green toilet, sink, and tub. It makes it real hard to see if your turds make it down, sorta camouflaged floaters.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:38:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When?  Theyve been pretty contemporary for 100 years. 
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:41:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stainless is already looking kinda dated to me. Granite is becoming iffy, depending on how they color it. 

Still beats the white formica countertops I grew up with. 
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:44:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
I was 18 in '76, and I still can't explain disco.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're my parent's age (Dad graduated in 76, Mom graduated in 77). 

The way mom describes it to me, it was a time when people dressed up (such that is is...) and went dancing - following a long national nightmare when it was fashionable to dress like a homeless person and get high to depressing music. That's her take on it, anyway. 

Mom and I don't see eye to eye on this one. Jeans, a t-shirt, a bag of weed and some Pink Floyd are really about the only ingredients you should have needed for a good time.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:53:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Mushrooms and LSD.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 2:37:32 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm here for the pics.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 4:39:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Doubt it. It may not look "trendy" in a few years buts it's never going to look as bad as that ugly 1970s shit.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Doubt it. It may not look "trendy" buts it's never going to look as bad as that ugly 1970s shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Doubt it. It may not look "trendy" buts it's never going to look as bad as that ugly 1970s shit.
I'll be honest - some of the old pics I've dug up are actually kind of cool looking, to me. The problem is, they tend to come from magazines of the day, and they were professionally designed. I'm seeing the best of the best, and I'm seeing what somebody with a lot of money and taste (by 70's standards) might have pulled off. 

Joe Sixpack's apartment DID NOT look great in hindsight. 

My parents kept a lot of that 70's kitsch going until well into the 80's (I was born in 1979). And of course, a lot of the homes we lived in during that time were either built or remodeled during the 70's, so I got to live with the avocado appliances, shag carpet, goofy wall paper and what not for a while. They also got married in 1978, so the wedding presents and baby shower gifts that reflected the time hung around for quite a while before they were finally replaced with stuff that was more modern. They were also not rich people by any means (lower middle class until I was in high school), so the furniture they bought when they first got married as a young couple stayed with us for years. 

When my grandparents sold the house my where my Dad grew up sometime in the late 90's, it looked like a time capsule from 1975. My Grandparents bought it brand new in 1969, and over the next few years, spent a metric ass load of money buying the very best furnishings and decorations available at the time. It reportedly impressed everyone who visited. And then...they never really updated it. The kids were all moved out by the late 70's, and it just sort of stayed the way it was, with a few changes here and there. 

Taste is a funny thing, ain't it?
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 4:55:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Because it was GROOVY man...
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:04:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
We still make shit that lasts.

But Americans prefer to buy Chinese shit that doesn't last.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:13:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was 18 in '74.

No one has yet come up with a reasonable explanation for disco. I doubt anyone ever will. Some things just can't be explained.

I sat that one out, then jumped right into punk rock to cleanse myself of the '70's.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:13:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I kinda think we might be experiencing a little selection bias, too. The landfills are full of absolute dogshit appliances and such from the 70's...that have been there since the early 80's. 

The only stuff that's left, is the stuff that was really well made. I think it kind of fools our brains into thinking that old stuff was just plain built better, when it fact we're limited to seeing the very best that American manufacturing had to offer. We don't remember the crap. It's been buried in a landfill for decades, long after Uncle Jim tossed the POS out and drank heavily to forget about it. 

Music is the same way. There's no shortage of really good music made in 1979, but holy fucksticks...look at the Billboard top 100. The pickin's are pretty slim. The stuff we still listen to on the radio today, is limited to the really good stuff. The cream of the crop. The other 90% of the dogshit that plagued America's ears has been more or less forgotten. 

Same deal with consumer goods, I think. Maybe. I'm just thinking out loud, but I'll bet I'm on to something. 
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Mine had shag carpet that was gold.  So yeah.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:31:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Just so everyone realizes that everything that you think looks 'stylish' now will completely suck shit in 30 years.

Granite counters- "Ew, why they want counters tops to look like headstones back then- can we paint them?" Earth tones, 'autopsy room' stainless kitchens', hardwood 'barn' floors not to mention the tat craze on people. Yup they will look back on you and laugh their asses off, count on it...
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Just so everyone realizes that everything that you think looks 'stylish' now will completely suck shit in 30 years.

Granite counters- "Ew, why they want counters tops to look like headstones back then- can we paint them?" Earth tones, 'autopsy room' stainless kitchens', hardwood 'barn' floors not to mention the tat craze on people. Yup they will look back on you and laugh their asses off, count on it...
View Quote
It's always hard to imagine, but yeah - this will happen. I can remember looking at modern homes in the 90's and saying "Unlike the 70's, no one is going to laugh at this 20 years from now. Tastes might change, but there's no way this is going to look bad". 

Yeah, well...

One way to combat it, might be to just find timeless designs that have never gone completely out of style (maybe just a bit out of favor) - and stick with that. It'd be hard though, because you'd always have to resist the new hotness, no matter how tempting. 

I'm not even sure if this is possible. 

I think it was NovaGator who suggested to me that smooth, creamy white appliances (no texture) will be the new stainless. I'm talking about high end stuff (metal) with a base coat and some clear, like it was a car. And really, think about some of those old GE appliances from the 40's. You could still pull that look off today. I think you always could. Maybe. 
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top