Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/17/2021 1:43:25 PM EDT
I just finished reading Tom Clancy's "Debt of Honor" and the whole thing was just . I'm too young to remember those times but I do remember Japan used to be considered the most technologically advanced country in the world, were they really that much of a threat back then?
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:44:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Tentacles
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:46:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I heard they had special toilets in their submarines.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:46:05 PM EDT
[#3]
They have Godzilla.  Duh.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I just finished reading Tom Clancy's "Debt of Honor" and the whole thing was just . I'm too young to remember those times but I do remember Japan used to be considered the most technologically advanced country in the world, were they really that much of a threat back then?
View Quote

I remember they bought tons of real estate in the US and movie studios
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:47:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm a child of the 80s and I don't remember any real hate or fear of the Japanese. Maybe from some older folks who remembered WWII more vividly.

I'll put it this way- when I played with my planes as a kid my F-14s were shooting down Migs not....whatever the Japanese flew then.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:48:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Boom of the electronics industries and cheap cars made Japan very rich.  They began buying up assets in the US as a hedge against a downfall of their economy.  China is following suit.  They will soon have enough internal issues that they will have a hard reset they can't ignore, just like the Japanese.  Then it will be Indias turn.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#7]
They were a financial powerhouse as well as one when it came to technology. At one point they were buying up famous American real estate such as Rockerfeller Plaza in NYC.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#8]
The only fear of the Japanese was that they would run our auto makers out of business.

LC
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:49:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Their economy was exploding through the 70s and 80s, they were on pace to pass the US at one point this was not realistically going to happen even without their asset price bubble but still people were losing their minds over it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:50:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes from buying all the American business and real estate, plus hate for their cars from some UAW as I grew up next to a major GM Fisher Body plant.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:50:51 PM EDT
[#11]
They were gobbling up all the real estate in NYC and buying American contemporary art sending prices through the roof.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:51:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I remember they bought tons of real estate in the US and movie studios
View Quote

They even owned the NBC building at 30 Rockefeller Plaza.  I did some work for a wealthy realty speculator that bought properties back for pennies on the dollar when the Japanese market tanked…
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:52:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, you'd have to square it up with Japan being a mortal enemy within living memory of many people (some of whom fought the Japanese directly).  This foe we had defeated, was now resurgent.  Their economy was going great, and we had just dealt with the stagflation of the 70's and had an uncertain future - Reagan brought hope in the 80's, but American consumers could see Japanese name brands taking over their local marketplace, especially high-tech electronics.  A big thing at the time was "emerging markets."  That is, investment in infrastructure, trade deals, etc with third world countries.  Countries where there were still wild profits to be made off these people who didn't yet own all the consumer goods that Americans took for granted.  Japan was investing in emerging markets, and so were we, but you still had the lingering spectre of Imperial Japan hanging over 1980's Japan.  Where Imperial Japan tried to take these resources by force and failed, would modern Japan do it with the stroke of a pen?  Was there something sinister involved?
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:52:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Fear? There was an embracing of Japan in the 80s and 90s.

Hintsky: Debt of Honor was fiction.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:53:21 PM EDT
[#16]
It was widely believe that plinko games would be used to dominate us.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Grandpa severed in WWII, China, Burma and the South Pacific, he hated Japs. As in loathed them.

Other than folks thinking they were destroying the American car industry, I don't recall anything else.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a child of the 80s and I don't remember any real hate or fear of the Japanese. Maybe from some older folks who remembered WWII more vividly.

I'll put it this way- when I played with my planes as a kid my F-14s were shooting down Migs not....whatever the Japanese flew then.

Grandpa severed in WWII, China, Burma and the South Pacific, he hated Japs. As in loathed them.

Other than folks thinking they were destroying the American car industry, I don't recall anything else.

Yeah that's understandable.

On the other hand I interviewed an Iwo Jima vet and he volunteered to stay in to occupy Japan and told me about all the Japanese broads he banged
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#18]
It was driven in part by the auto workers unions.  Japan was making inexpensive fuel efficient cars that lasted, while Detroit threw pieces of shit out the door that wouldn't last four years.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:56:10 PM EDT
[#19]
We wore Japanese shit

Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:56:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:57:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Sony was a media and tech powerhouse then.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 1:58:46 PM EDT
[#22]
I know when I was in Hiroshima in 1991 there were a whole lot of Japanese young people flashing the  number 2 sign at me.

Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:00:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Ninjas!
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:00:12 PM EDT
[#24]
reciprocity...
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:01:05 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't think there was fear.  But through the 60s and part of the 70s there was a "Japanese make crap" thought that wasn't entirely either true, or false.

During that time, post war recovery, Japan embraced Deming where, most visibly, Detroit did not.  The quality of their good rose significantly.

Today, I wish I could find more goods made in Japan.

Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:01:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It was driven in part by the auto workers unions.  Japan was making inexpensive fuel efficient cars that lasted, while Detroit threw pieces of shit out the door that wouldn't last four years.
View Quote

I had a friend who’s brother worked for GM and he told us about all the empty liquor bottles they’d find stashed and trashed around the factory…
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:01:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I know when I was in Hiroshima in 1991 there were a whole lot of Japanese young people flashing the  number 2 sign at me.

View Quote
This one?
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:02:49 PM EDT
[#28]
For a lot of Americans, it seemed like they were taking over economically basically overnight. Still a lot of resentment about WWII in those days too. Put the two together and a lot of people were worried.

Of course, I’m geopolitical terms, they were pretty committed to being on our team. They just really liked our money and knew how to earn it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:03:41 PM EDT
[#29]
They were a massive economic powerhouse that appeared unstoppable at the time.

Primarily due to strength in automotive and technology (especially semiconductors.) They were
seriously kicking US ass in both, and because they were bringing in so much money they had to
turn around and re-invest it overseas, so they ended up buying lots of very expensive real estate
in the US. The company I worked for at the time was involved with semiconductors and the
Japanese were very good at some things (particularly DRAM) and more or less wiped out
non-Japanese suppliers.

It turned out part of the growth they experienced was due to financial engineering by their
central bank (sound familiar?) and that ended up triggering a financial implosions and created
a zombie economy with a lot of large, too big to fail companies that stopped generating
monster profits. They've never recovered.

Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:04:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The only fear of the Japanese was that they would run our auto makers out of business.

LC
View Quote

They almost did. They did successfully run a whole bunch of the Western motorcycle manufacturers out of business. They did kill all of the British brands until Triumph got revived.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:06:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Their economy was exploding through the 70s and 80s, they were on pace to pass the US at one point this was not realistically going to happen even without their asset price bubble but still people were losing their minds over it.
View Quote

In 1981 the Japanese Yen was about 217 versus the US dollar. At the same time, in the Philippines, it was almost six hundred to the dollar like 570 Pesos to the US dollar.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:07:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Along with the previous comments, this book was very popular and appeared to be a plausible scenario at the time as Japan was concerned about the same issues that faced them in the early 1900s.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:07:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
We wore Japanese shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PvQskY8QHo
View Quote

Shit, we were turning Japanese…lols

The Vapors - Turning Japanese

Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:09:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Shit, we were turning Japaneselols

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWWwM2wwMww
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We wore Japanese shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PvQskY8QHo

Shit, we were turning Japaneselols

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWWwM2wwMww
Keep 'em coming.

Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Nobody in the US was afraid of Japan back in the 80s or 90s, except for the WWII vets.

In fact, the opinion of Japan was overwhelmingly positive, especially from GenXers growing up.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:11:50 PM EDT
[#36]
After WW2, we sent some very good Quality people over there to help Japan rebuild.  Think W. Edwards Deming and industrial statistics.
By the 1970s & 80's, Japan was killing Ford, GM  & Chrysler with high quality cheap cars.
The big 3 got a well-deserved scare and wake-up call to improve quality and price.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Keep 'em coming.

View Quote

Japanese was a big influence in pop culture..the whole new romantic movement.

Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:12:09 PM EDT
[#38]
LOL there was a huge fear the Japanese were going to buy up everything in America and their cars were going to put Detroit out of business.  There was a case where some auto factory workers in Detroit beat a guy to death and badly injured his father because they were Japanese.  Turns out they were Chinese, but hey, all good, we all look alike, right?  The Detroit courts acquitted them but the feds said the murderers violated the victims' civil rights and they ended up going away for life.  I seem to remember.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:12:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

LC
View Quote
This is what I remember.  I also remember some prominent Japanese leader saying American workers were lazy, which touched off quite the firestorm.  I'm sure that guy's name was cursed repeatedly during the daily 3 hour long union-mandated smoke breaks at every UAW plant.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:12:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Nobody in the US was afraid of Japan back in the 80s or 90s.

In fact, the opinion of Japan was overwhelmingly positive.
View Quote

US manufacturers were absolutely afraid of Japan in the 80s.

There may not have been any legitimate military concerns, but the news was absolutely filled with economic ones.

Consumer opinion was overwhelmingly positive, which is one of the reasons US manufacturers were so worried.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:12:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ninjas!
View Quote

This guy knows and likely lived through it. When I was a kid ninjas ?? were known to be around in the shadows everywhere. Before the US military owned the night, it was owned by ninjas.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:14:12 PM EDT
[#42]
The bottom line is that there are elements in EVERY country that hate the USA and if they were able to seize power in their countries AND have a credible shot at doing us harm AND surviving the ensuing result.....they just might take the shot.

The number of countries that could check those boxes can likely be counted on one hand....and that's even if you've had a couple of bad days in wood shop class.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:16:20 PM EDT
[#43]
The Japanese have darn near perfected manufacturing of goods.  Toyota production system comes to mind.
Most all current US manufacturing uses at least some of the Japanese improvement & management tools.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:17:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's right though, papa-san was in his financial prime and was living it large too.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:18:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

There may not have been any legitimate military concerns, but the news was absolutely filled with economic ones.

Consumer opinion was overwhelmingly positive, which is one of the reasons US manufacturers were so worried.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nobody in the US was afraid of Japan back in the 80s or 90s.

In fact, the opinion of Japan was overwhelmingly positive.

I will agree with that.  Americans needed to get their shit together which the Japanese helped motivate.

As a kid growing up in the PNW during this time, families were very positive, but electronics and the auto industry were not a part of our regional economy.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#46]
They made such damned good cameras.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:19:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsbrw9Y6_ng
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keep 'em coming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsbrw9Y6_ng

Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:20:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
They were a massive economic powerhouse that appeared unstoppable at the time.

Primarily due to strength in automotive and technology (especially semiconductors.) They were
seriously kicking US ass in both, and because they were bringing in so much money they had to
turn around and re-invest it overseas, so they ended up buying lots of very expensive real estate
in the US. The company I worked for at the time was involved with semiconductors and the
Japanese were very good at some things (particularly DRAM) and more or less wiped out
non-Japanese suppliers.

It turned out part of the growth they experienced was due to financial engineering by their
central bank (sound familiar?) and that ended up triggering a financial implosions and created
a zombie economy with a lot of large, too big to fail companies that stopped generating
monster profits. They've never recovered.

View Quote

This...and demographics. They stopped having kids, and didn't really allow immigration, so they got old and less productive.

A good warning for the anti-immigration crowd in the US. If your population is declining, you have to import more. Hopefully, you can do that w/o destroying the culture that made you successful.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:20:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Art and architectural influence at the time was peak too. Crossover stuff like Patrick Nagel’s blending of Japanese and Art Deco print making…

Blade Runner’s Asian heavy future..

Link Posted: 6/17/2021 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Whatever feelings certain elements of Japan MAY have had about us back then are most certainly overshadowed by their very real fears about China...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top