Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I don't give a shit if this passes into law tommorow morning. No one will take my fucking weapon from me.

Thats the beauty of it.
They dont have to.

Ban any new sales, grandfather in the old ones. Let that soak for a couple of terms. Then start working on stopping transfers of existing grandfathered weapons.

One of two things will happen. Your weapon will wear out and you cant replace it or you will die and the weapon cant be transferred and will be turned over to be destroyed.

And they never even had to knock at your door.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 10:45:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I know it's not out of committee yet, but here's what my wife wrote her Congresswoman:

Ma'am,
I'm writing to express my opposition to H.R. 1022. Banning law-abiding citizens from possessing firearms based mainly on their physical appearance is feel good legislation at its best. The real effort should be aimed at the criminals themselves.

I am a law-abiding citizen who relies one of these so-called "assault weapons" for home protection when my husband is deployed overseas. This legislation will only serve to disarm me, while the criminals will have any firearm the please as they are not bound by the law as I am.

Respectfully,
XXXXX

A voter in the First Congressional District.

Unfortunately, my Congressman hasn't caught up with the times. I'll have to snail mail him.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 10:53:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't give a shit if this passes into law tommorow morning. No one will take my fucking weapon from me.

Thats the beauty of it.
They dont have to.

Ban any new sales, grandfather in the old ones. Let that soak for a couple of terms. Then start working on stopping transfers of existing grandfathered weapons.

One of two things will happen. Your weapon will wear out and you cant replace it or you will die and the weapon cant be transferred and will be turned over to be destroyed.

And they never even had to knock at your door.

or you have to register the banned ones (nfa) and the supply/demand does the same thing with ar15's that happened with mp5's, thompson's , ect...

fred
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 11:02:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I wrote Congressman Rick Boucher.  What else can I do?

Link Posted: 2/20/2007 11:06:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm being sarcastic.

Join the GOA and the NRA.   Get both!

I am a member of both...seems GOA is a more hard core gun rights organization ...no compromise ever, which is good.

fred

Yes, the GOA is great at getting word out and sounding the alarm.   They are like the Cocker Spaniel, they wake you up when the gang is messing around outside.  They will fight and they will die but they will make a furious noise while they do it.  The NRA is the 800lb cave troll with a battle axe that hates to actually have to do any work and mostly just wants to eat but once it gets moving the guy outside looses his friends right quick.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 11:14:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm being sarcastic.

I am a member of both...seems GOA is a more hard core gun rights organization ...no compromise ever, which is good.

fred

Both is the right answer to this, as well as the arfcom motto . . .

NRA has more clout, and probably does a better job playing politics. We need to win in the real world of give-and-take politics, and hard-core doesn't always fly there. However, that doesn't mean both don't have value, think "good cop" and "bad cop" (or Cocker Spaniel and cave troll, if you prefer).

Link Posted: 2/20/2007 12:00:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
After the November election, I told you that this bill was coming, who would submit it and which committee it would be referred to. Y'all said I was an alarmist and that the dems wouldn't try again.

I told you that this bill would make it out of the committee. Y'all said I was making shit up and that there weren't enough votes. Well, now it's obvious that there are enough votes to send this to the floor for a vote. '

Write your reps on the committee if you feel the need, but I'm telling you that the ship has sailed on that. This bill is going to make it out of the Judiciary Committee. What you need to do is start writing your congressman now, regardless of whether or not they are on this committee. Educate them about the bill and tell then that you want them to vehemately oppose this bill. This is especially important for those of you have these new "pro-gun" democrats in congress.

Also, a bill in the House is useless without a bill in the Senate to match. Watch for it!!!

We all knew it was coming Nostradamus
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 12:03:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
H.R. 1022. - "Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007"

US HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES:
Locate And Contact YOUR Representative HERE.

HOUSE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE MEMBERS:
Contact House Judiciary Members HERE.

Dems Outnumber Reps 20 to 16 On This Committee - They ALL Need To Hear From You!

Also don't forget hand written letters get more attention!
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 12:06:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I wrote Congressman Rick Boucher.  What else can I do?

Write the rest of them.  Call them, get your friends to write them, get your wife, and her family to write them.  Join the NRA and GOA.  Call their offices.

Contact Webb and Warner in the Senate contact the members of the Judiciary Committee in the Senate, should this bill pass the house lets make sure it is stoped stone cold in the Senate.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 12:11:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm working on it.  I had to get a rant out of my system first.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 12:54:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Dammit.

I can't afford the cost of what my "must-have" firearms/ammo list is going to cost me in the event I have to make the purchases ASAP.... I'll have to take the pain and do it, I sat through AWB I and it sucked, I don't want to be caught empty handed again.

This CAN pass, trust me on this. I remember watching the news late into the night watching for the result of AWB-I and thinking "ahh it will never pass", Clinton strong armed the votes in exchange for the invasion of Haiti and BAM! first thing the morning all the toys were illegal. Anyone else remember that? What were your thoughts on it at the time?

Link Posted: 2/20/2007 1:05:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Also don't forget hand written letters get more attention!

Actually, post-Antrax, any kind of communication sent to members of Congress through the mail gets delayed weeks, if not longer. If you want your representative to know what you think, send an e-mail.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 1:11:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Dammit.

I can't afford the cost of what my "must-have" firearms/ammo list is going to cost me in the event I have to make the purchases ASAP.... I'll have to take the pain and do it, I sat through AWB I and it sucked, I don't want to be caught empty handed again.

This CAN pass, trust me on this. I remember watching the news late into the night watching for the result of AWB-I and thinking "ahh it will never pass", Clinton strong armed the votes in exchange for the invasion of Haiti and BAM! first thing the morning all the toys were illegal. Anyone else remember that? What were your thoughts on it at the time?

The first time it barely passed, and that despite the fact it was watered down with the 10 year renewal requirement, etc. However, I was surprised it went through with the 10 round magazine limit, since that impacted popular pistols.

I also recall that Clinton went golfing when the AWB was sitting on his desk, at a time when it made sense for gun companies to crank out high caps as fast as possible. It sat there several days--I always wondered who bribed him.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 1:20:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I just send a message to Honorable Wm. Lacy Clay, who I know nothing about.
Can anyone tell me his stance?
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 1:27:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm being sarcastic.

fred

But what have they achieved with all the "hardcore" goodness?  I am a member of GOA and NRA, but I still have yet to see what the GOA has accomplished.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 1:30:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Why don't one of you wonderfully articulate fellas, type out a good sample letter, and some good dialoge for phone calls.

If we can make this easier, more people will do it. I'm just not up to the challenge of writing sample letters myself.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 1:30:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I seem to remember being told that the demonrats were afraid of gun control or would at least wait until 2008.

The "teach them a lesson", "they are both the same" crowd insured us of that, so this is not really happening.  It's all a dream, move along.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 1:31:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I have sent e-mails, made calls and went to town hall meetings, and will continue to do so as long as it takes............I just hope they listen and dont give us that self serving blather about the good of the public again like some of them did in the past
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 1:34:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dammit.

The first time it barely passed, and that despite the fact it was watered down with the 10 year renewal requirement, etc. However, I was surprised it went through with the 10 round magazine limit, since that impacted popular pistols.

I also recall that Clinton went golfing when the AWB was sitting on his desk, at a time when it made sense for gun companies to crank out high caps as fast as possible. It sat there several days--I always wondered who bribed him.

I remember..I watched the vote...the time was over for voting when it was passed...what a crock....TIME HAD EXPIRED and they still passed it....
Clinton didn't go golfing...that's what he told Hillary ...he was out with the women...

fred
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 1:35:41 PM EDT
[#20]
We as ARFCOMERs need to be all over this.

Sure it a little more difficult to write a few-sentence letter to your Rep than it is to leave a short comment on Zumbo's weblog, but it's not THAT much harder. And the potential long-term consequences are much greater.

If we had the current Congress 3 short years ago, the last AWB would still be law. This bill, or some version of it is a real possibility.

1) Write your Rep.

2) Join the NRA. They can't prevent these bills from being introduced, but their lobbying clout is the best for preventing them from being enacted.

3) Send a copy of your Rep letter to the NRA
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 1:36:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm being sarcastic.

fred

But what have they achieved with all the "hardcore" goodness?  I am a member of GOA and NRA, but I still have yet to see what the GOA has accomplished.

Maybe if all 4 to 6 million NRA members joined GOA also, we could do alot...it's only $20..

fred
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 1:36:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
this is a lost fight.

hopeless is the word.  Where's NRA anyway??

It is NOT a lost fight. The original assault weapons bill is what cost the Democrats their majority. Most savvy Democrats understand that.

As for the NRA, I checked the ILA web site and it doesn't even mention this bill. I'm guessing that means they don't think this has legs yet. Personally, I tend to agree. I think this is wishful thinking on McCarthy's part. She doesn't have the weight to get this done and without a Columbine type event I don't see Democrats being willing to endanger their newly reclaimed majority.

Still, I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this pig. I'm not writing my rep yet becauase a.) He's not on the committee and b.) I wrote him a general no-gun control measures letter just a few weeks ago and just got a response back from him. If this thing starts to gain traction I'll definitely be in contact.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 1:37:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Can I get a time frame on this piece of shit bill?
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Here's a link I found with their fax #'s:

THE COMPLETE LIST OF E-MAIL ADDRESSES & FAX NUMBERS FOR CONGRESS, SENATE & GOVERNORS

I encourage EVERYONE to email, snail mail, and fax as many Congressmen as possible regardless if you are in their district or not.

Write a very articulate, non-abusive, and grammatically correct letter and save it on your computer. Then email, and fax it to as many as possible-every day. It takes less that 1 minute once you have drafted the letter. Once you have an email list, just save it and use it daily. AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, AND ALL THAT'S HOLY--TURN YOUR SPELL CHECK ON!!

Start posting your drafts to help other members with ideas.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 1:50:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Why don't one of you wonderfully articulate fellas, type out a good sample letter, and some good dialoge for phone calls.

If we can make this easier, more people will do it. I'm just not up to the challenge of writing sample letters myself.

+87
We need multiple letters to help make this as easy as possible.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Just wrote my Congressman, but he is already a pro-gun democrat with a lifetime A rating from the NRA.  

If you are too lazy to type out a 5 sentence letter, that is not a good sign.  It doesn't have to be the most articulate explanation of your opposition.  Simply the fact that it is unique, and you took enough time to write a letter about a bill that isn't even out of committee yet will suffice.  

Link Posted: 2/20/2007 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Help us fight the EVIL placed before us.

Remember, David beat Goliath, all he needed was faith and a few smooth stones...
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 1:56:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Guys, letters do not need to read like a master's thesis Paper.  All you need is two paragraphs, stating that you understand that HR1022 is in committee right now and that you see it as an infringement of your RKBA and that any new gun laws are unacceptible to you.

Close out the last paragraph saying that you wish them to vote the way you want......Be clear, be consise.  Avoid goobly gook, just get to the point.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 2:05:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Can we get a mod to sticky this thread?

Okay, I'll bite.  Here is a quick sample letter:

Dear Congressman/Congresswoman __________________,

I am writing to you as both a constituent and as a firearm owner to urge your opposition to HR 1022.  Despite the lack of empirical data suggesting a correlation between a restriction on so-called "Assault" weapons and a decrease in violent crime, Rep. McCarthy has chosen to exploit a handful of national tragedies to advance her ideological contempt for the 2nd Amendment.  You have represented our district with distinction in the past.  Please understand that I take this bill as a serious slight against my Constitution and the freedom it guarantees, and your position on it will decide my vote in 2008.  I hope that you will provide principled leadership on issues related to crime, and that you focus your efforts on violent criminals rather than law abiding citizens.  

Sincerely,

Link Posted: 2/20/2007 2:07:58 PM EDT
[#30]
A tack wouldn't hurt, this is far more important than the usual GD threads.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 2:09:53 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Agreed this should be tacked at the top of all sections.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 2:11:51 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+tack
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hon. Davis
(D) Alabama , 7th Seems to support RKBA, voted for Lawful Commerce in Arms
208 Cannon H.O.B.
Washington, D.C. 20515
(202) 225-2665 (phone)
(202) 226-9567 (fax)

I don't care what he seems to support, I know this man and he is not our friend.  He talks a good RKBA game (only out of necessity -- this is Alabama and his predecessor was one of the few Dems with a 100% NRA voting record) but he has publicly commented many times in the press about evil "assault weapons," his support of the federal AWB, and his support for efforts to enact a state AWB here.

Well I didn't have a ton of time to research it.  Anyway, even if he did support an AWB I figured he would be vulnerable to pressure.  He seems like the type of Dem who would be susceptible to get removed from office for the AWB (deja vu of 1994).  Dem from a pro-gun state voting anti-gun.  Someone should remind him of that.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 2:15:34 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+tack

No kidding, there should be a tacked HR1022 firemission thread until it is voted down.  The original few posters could edit contact info. into the posts if we help them by posting it in the thread.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 2:15:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 2:18:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Mad Lib AWB Time!!!!!!

Dear Congressman/Congresswoman __________________,

As (your constituent/your district member/ a citizen in your congressional district) , I am writing you regarding HR 1022, currently before you in committee.  As a(n) (avid sportsman/hunter/gun enthusiast/target shooter/competition marksman/ amateur constitutional scholar/ law student), I find this bill (deeply/profoundly/sincerely/patently) offensive to (the 2nd amendment/ my right to keep and bear arms/ the Constitution/ the intent of our founding fathers).  

While I (voted for you/ didn't vote for you/ didn't vote) in the last election, your opposition to this bill will (cause me to continue to support you/ cause me to change my mind/ get me motivated enough to come to the polls in 2008).  I feel very strongly that your committee ought to focus on (punishing criminals/ punishing repeat offenders/ targeting pedophiles/ working on a legal solution to the immigration issue), rather than (stripping rights from law-abiding citizens/ tarnishing the Constitution/ targeting people who already obey the law.)  

(Sincerely/ Very Truly Yours/ Thanks for your consideration/ Thanks for your attention/ Thanks for your commitment to our district/),

XXXX

Sincerely,
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 2:21:39 PM EDT
[#38]
`(i) is a short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun, or semiautomatic assault weapon, the person shall be sentenced to a term of imprisonment of not less than 10 years; or'.

Assuming this bill passed, would it be true to say there would be no new registrations of SBRs?
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Beware of FORM Letters.

I think it makes  a stronger statement if each person takes the time to write their own letter.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 2:27:46 PM EDT
[#40]
form letters are not nearly as effective.  However, if someone isn't willing to take the time, or is too illiterate to write their own, sending one, or sending a MAD LIB (not only is that what it is, but it is also a play on words), is far better than doing nothing.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 2:33:42 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm being sarcastic.

fred

Maybe if all 4 to 6 million NRA members joined GOA also, we could do alot...it's only $20..

fred

That doesn't address the request for a list of accomplishments.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 2:38:05 PM EDT
[#42]
WHY IS THERE NO MENTION OF THIS BILL ON THE NRA WEBSITE?

WTF IS GOING ON WITH THE NRA AND GOA?????
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Did anyone else notice the bill mentions that it is illegal to transfer a legally registered pre ban assault rifle to a private party as well as any high capacity magazines?

So basically its grandfathered but you can only transfer it to a dealer, and the dealer cannot resale it back another party.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

BECAUSE IT HAS NO SPONSORS AND HASN'T MADE IT OUT OF COMMITTEE!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 3:08:38 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It still has NO sponsors? That has to be a good thing, right? Maybe it won't make it out of committee despite that committee being far less friendly than the previous one. If something has no support, it seems kinda pointless to even pursue it.

Hopefully this things ends up where it belongs....in the trash....and never makes it to the floor for a vote. But I will call and write my representative (and senators if necessary), despite all of them being solid pro-gun republicans. It's such an easy thing to do, so why not?
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly.
This is why it needs no tack.
They try this every year, and it goes nowhere.
Don't stop writing your reps, but there is no need to clean out walmart of ammo, or fill sandbags.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 3:15:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Who am I going to write one to, Tim Bishop?....that C*ksucking a-hole.

No thanks.

Link Posted: 2/20/2007 3:38:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Tx 18th District... Ms Shiela Jackson Lee, a very strong anti-gun liberal.  Do not waste your time or effort.
I once had the displeasure of meeting her at a Gun Show at the Geo Brown Convention Center in Houston.  She and two of her "security" personnel were walking the show.
They repeatedly tried to purchase handguns, class 3 weapons, and silencers with cash and no paperwork.  
The dealers would ask them to please step away from their table and move on.  And that they were violating federal statutes by even asking to conduct an illegal purchase.
This happened numerous times.

Several dealers went and informed the local Houston PD officers at the show.  They promptly said...."there is no way we are confronting her or her personnel."  To do so, would have been a career ending move.

BTW....she is the same person, who tried to get a NASA employee fired, because they informed her in a briefing ....No Ma'am, there is no U.S. flag on Mars, we landed on the Moon."

Link Posted: 2/20/2007 3:55:30 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

The NRA is staffed by professionals. If they're not getting excited about this one it's probably because they know it's not going anywhere. You can be sure they're watching it though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2007 3:58:49 PM EDT
[#50]
BTW, folks, joining the NRA doesn't really help in a legislative fight (why aren't you already a member?). NRA dues can not be used for lobbying. If you want to help you have to contribute to the ILA. You can do that here. Put your money where your mouth is.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top