Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:34:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, it lets you transfer to an FFL or law enforcement. It also forbids the transfer of an AW with large capacity magazines regardless of how it is transferred without giving any guidance on how to implement that.

So if you sell me your rifle and then later you sell me your mags, is that "with an assault weapon?" Nobody knows because the bill doesn't say. That is one more place where ATF gets to play "fill in the blanks"
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:39:57 PM EDT
[#2]
More letters sent, time to call in everyone you can on this thing.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:05:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Is this a little too over the top?

As a member of the judiciary committee your votes affect citizens across the county.  Because of this I am writing in regards to H.R. 1022.  As you know, this bill severely limits one our most the basic freedoms expressed in the bill of rights, the right of THE PEOPLE to keep and bear arms.  I find this bill an utterly appalling attack on our liberty and the constitution.  It unreasonably limits countless legitimate firearms just based on the fact they are incorrectly perceived as being bad or scary.  While this law goes much further than the 1994 ban, it will have the same effect: it only serve to unfairly burden law abiding citizens leaving criminals unaffected.  There was no perceivable difference when the old ban “sun set”, since reasonable law abiding citizens remained just that.  After all, criminals do not obey the law, thus adding one more law will do absolutely nothing to stop their misuse of firearms.  Any student of history or current events will tell you, feel good “solutions” to problems do not work, and in the end this bill will only hurt those of us who follow the rules.  I oppose any attempts to re-establish an assault weapons ban, with this, or any other similar bill.  
As a representative of the people, whose power is delegated by the people, I strongly urge you to vote to kill this bill.  The voters and taxpayers of this country will be watching how you vote on this bill, and we will not forget your actions when we are at the ballot box in 2008.  Thank you for your time and you anticipated cooperation on this matter.

Sincerely,

Andrew Wargo

yeah, comma's are my downfall.  I use them way to much, and i'm sure my english teacher would have a fit.

oh, and bump
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:47:05 PM EDT
[#4]
ok so i just went to the track a bill web site and it says the bill has now made it to the house of reps. what does that mean???

-blue

should i be more worried?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:09:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
ok so i just went to the track a bill web site and it says the bill has now made it to the house of reps. what does that mean???

-blue

should i be more worried?

where are you seeing that? It shows that it was introduced on the gov. track page.

www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-1022
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:23:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Another thing...if the dems don't reauthorize the bill they have to admit they were wrong the first time...and that ain't gonna happen.

fred
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Doesn't look like any Maryland-critters are on the list... yet.

Can people not living in those guy's states still inundate them with letters? I know some of their form letter sites prohibit out of staters from sending them any correspondence.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I think we have a case of the people fearing the government, not the government fearing its people.hFind your Rep. Gov. site and send an e-mail to everyone who is on your list within the state h.gif he he hin
Sn00078
Link Posted: 3/1/2007 6:10:57 AM EDT
[#9]

If you have a letter you think is well written please post it or you can post a rough draft for peer review/editing.

My contribution(I found this letter on another forum and have made some changes):

To (fill in names of Reps and Senators):

I am a taxpaying, law-abiding citizen, a voter, and a gun owner. I ask you, as my representative in Washington, to uphold the spirit of the Second Amendment. The right to keep and bear arms is essential to our continued freedom, both as a nation and as a people.

The new ban being proposed is absolutely without merit and would be difficult to justify by an individual provided they posses a fundamental understanding of firearms. As in the previous failed ban, the restrictions are entirely cosmetic or irrational, and will in no way stop the use of weapons of any kind among the criminal element. This ban would restrict the free exercise of law abiding citizens’ rights simply because of the fear and ignorance of a vocal minority.

Gun bans only hinder law-abiding citizens, not criminals.

You have an opportunity to stand up for the rights of your constituents, the people who voted for you. I urge you, please do not let fear and ignorance sway your decision. There are far more supporters of gun rights, the right to own your choice of guns, than those opposed. We as responsible gun owners do not appreciate being told that the exercise of our rights is immoral or terroristic simply because of the appearance of our chosen firearms.

I, and millions of others, are watching your action on this matter. My vote for you hinges on your support for the Second Amendment.

Sincerely,
Link Posted: 3/5/2007 8:16:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Emails sent to Hon. Jones, and Hon. Chabot of Ohio.

*EDIT* This is what I sent. (A modified version of what someone else sent, isn't my work)

Hon. Jordan -
As you may know, HR 1022 was introduced, with the purpose of re-authorizing the unconstitutional "Assault Weapons Ban." This gun control act had no effect at all on crime during the time in which it was enacted. Very few Law Enforcement officers are harmed with weapons of this variety, yet this is the justification used to pass these bills. All this bill will do is alienate the millions of America's law abiding gun owners, and possibly turn these law abiding gun owners into criminals over night.

If we fail to respect the Second Amendment, then every other Amendment in the Bill of Rights is open to attack. I urge you to kill this bill, and to put an end to the attack on law-abiding gun owners.. Thank you very much, and I hope you continue to serve our Nation well, as you have done so in the past.

I recognize that you have done quite a bit to further the cause of the average gun owner, and hope that you will do so again in the future. Thank you for your dedication.

Sincerely,
Epyon
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top