Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 1:29:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 1:35:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So your mom is totally capable of setting up an account on Gunbroker or the Arf's EE, posting things for sale (with quality pics), answering PMs and emails, setting up a Googlevoice burner number, shipping to an FFL or (even more fun for old ladies) meeting people FTF to do a cash deal?

Yeah sure.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My parents are old.  They can still use a fucking computer.
So your mom is totally capable of setting up an account on Gunbroker or the Arf's EE, posting things for sale (with quality pics), answering PMs and emails, setting up a Googlevoice burner number, shipping to an FFL or (even more fun for old ladies) meeting people FTF to do a cash deal?

Yeah sure.
Capable, yes.  Willing?  Oh hell no.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 1:45:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Some of the conduct I've read about in this thread is absolutely disgusting.  Shame on you assholes.  Ripping off elderly widows?  For fuck's sake!
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 1:48:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My gun mentor was in National Firearms on Parthenia Ave in Canoga Park years ago.
A widow came in with seven guns. A few were really expensive Weatherby's. the counter guys were low balling the shit out of her. My friend said "Lady that one rifle alone is worth several thousand dollars".
The counter guys kicked my friend out of the store. Moments later the lady came out and said "thank you for looking out for me, which one of these guns do you want?" He said "I can't afford any of those guns". She said "no you can have anyone you want for free". He said "That Winchester rifle is worth 300 dollars, I have $130 can I buy it for that amount?" She handed him the rifle and he handed her the cash, plus an assessment of the other guns worth and how to sell them getting full value - this took place in the early 80's you could sell guns in the newpaper back then in CA.

He always held that 30/30 with such pride, not for the deal but for being noble.

I have nothing against saving money or getting a deal, but preying on the vulnerable at a low time in someones life isn't something I would brag about. I have even less respect for a husband that doesn't have an "In case i'm dead folder for his wife"

My wife has an inventoried list and valuation and I will sell off most of them before I die if I'm able.
View Quote
I've bought a lot of guns hanging out at the gun store. They pay a percentage of book value which is under what most people want to sell for.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 1:49:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
When I die, I have instructed my wife to contact Sylvan.  He will figure it all out, and then list everything on the E.E.  
View Quote
Where are you storing your collection if you move to Kauai?
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 1:52:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There is a limit to it. Why don't you tell her you will sell all the stuff for her? Then she will get more for it and you can end up with what you want for free. Fair deal for both of you.

If you do right you may get more chances at stuff in the future when she tells her friends whose husbands are gone about you.
View Quote
What kind of a Communist are you?
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 1:53:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Some of the conduct I've read about in this thread is absolutely disgusting.  Shame on you assholes.  Ripping off elderly widows?  For fuck's sake!
View Quote
Seller sets the price in just about any transaction, how can you, as the buyer, "rip them off"?

People are acting like the ONLY WAY to value something is to have technical wizardry on the internet. That's just ridiculous. Old ladies could always ask a nice guy at the old folks home to help her value her stuff, or a puter capable person to do some Google searches, or many other mechanisms for determining value. Presuming everyone is off sound mind, it's actually a choice not to do your research as a seller.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 2:03:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I recently bought a mess of guns and ammo from a local online estate auction. I got some pretty good deals and lots of other stuff went close to retail some of the ammo went I’ve rin some cases. Probably the best situation for both parties. Far as op goes ide be mor einkcied to,offer more of a fair price than pennies on the dollar hell even offer to sell what you don’t really want for top dollar in exchange for a coupl pieces you want.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 2:03:25 AM EDT
[#9]

had a widow friend tell me her husband had some expensive pool cues in his safe and I could have them.  When she got the safe open,  the cues were nothing more than kindling.  I was hugely disappointed. Why he would put junk in a safe I'll never know.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 2:03:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Tell me more about the canon?
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 2:17:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I wonder how loud the virtue signalling would be if it was a widower posting about selling a jewelry collection.
View Quote
except most jewelry int worth shit, everything I find I sell for spot to the smelter, they send the gems back (if any)
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 2:48:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My gun mentor was in National Firearms on Parthenia Ave in Canoga Park years ago.
A widow came in with seven guns. A few were really expensive Weatherby's. the counter guys were low balling the shit out of her. My friend said "Lady that one rifle alone is worth several thousand dollars".
The counter guys kicked my friend out of the store. Moments later the lady came out and said "thank you for looking out for me, which one of these guns do you want?" He said "I can't afford any of those guns". She said "no you can have anyone you want for free". He said "That Winchester rifle is worth 300 dollars, I have $130 can I buy it for that amount?" She handed him the rifle and he handed her the cash, plus an assessment of the other guns worth and how to sell them getting full value - this took place in the early 80's you could sell guns in the newpaper back then in CA.

He always held that 30/30 with such pride, not for the deal but for being noble.

I have nothing against saving money or getting a deal, but preying on the vulnerable at a low time in someones life isn't something I would brag about. I have even less respect for a husband that doesn't have an "In case i'm dead folder for his wife"

My wife has an inventoried list and valuation and I will sell off most of them before I die if I'm able.
View Quote
Any business that deals in used items is not going to pay top dollar for it when buying it for resale. The goal of a FFL, Pawn Shop, etc is to get it for as little as possible and get as large of a profit as one can.

Low balling as many here claim is normal. For example, if someone walked in with a Glock 17, I ain't offering more than $200-$250. Why? Wholesale Blue Label price is $340. I need to make a profit. The pistol is used, so I have to price it competitively to sell fast when I have new merchandise right next to it and I have to make a profit. I sure ain't going to spend wholesale on a used gun and have it compete price wise and take of shelf space with new Glocks. It would languish there.

That is a nice story about your friend. Real nice. But it sure doesn't work in business.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 3:00:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Everyone I met like that it’s been the opposite and wanted much more then the gun(s) were worth.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 4:06:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's not what I'd do, but if you can live with it so can I. I hate seeing someone being taken advantage of.
View Quote
220?   I feel like half the man you are.   (walks off, kicking a can)
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 4:12:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Dr. Phil or Dr. Oz had a whole episode on how people tell themselves stories to justify-away whatever they want. Even when it's just taking two or more free cookies when the sign says to take only one. When confronted, the people spun all sorts of stories.

You'll tell yourself excuses to help justify it.

And taking advantage of people is wrong, despite what 'relativists' would say.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 5:03:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I keep an inventory with approximate values to help my wife avoid getting fucked over in case I kick the bucket unexpectedly.
View Quote
This. Plus descriptions, and approx value. My wife doesn’t ask what I pay for this or that, but she’s WELL aware I don’t own crap and to just walk away from a buyer who says what I owned isn’t valuable.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 5:52:53 AM EDT
[#17]
I've only been in this situation once, but told the person what I thought each thing was worth and then gave my offers.

Some things I really wanted so the two numbers were the same.  Some things I didn't care much about so the offer was less.  They decided to sell or not.

However I'm not too proud to admit that  if the seller was on my shit list for one reason or another they might get less than that treatment.  Something like an ex of a buddy I never liked or someone wearing a Hillary shirt, I could see taking some liberties.  Ultimately they decide to sell or not.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 6:38:26 AM EDT
[#18]
For those with significantly valuable collections why not have things planned out in advance with an estate attorney or the executor of your will? Provide them with a list, reasonable prices, and a detailed means to sell them.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 6:46:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I keep an inventory with approximate values to help my wife avoid getting fucked over in case I kick the bucket unexpectedly.
View Quote
I do the same. I keep a list of every gun with every accessory and optic on it. And what I paid for each. Also a list of all Ammo and mags with a note to check what they are selling for in the current climate.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 7:03:16 AM EDT
[#20]
First, if you lie to your wife on how much you paid for your guns, you can't be upset when someone else lies to them when she tries to sell them.  Be honest.

I've always told my wife what I've paid, and I have a list of values.  It is really a moot point though.  All of my guns go to my son.

Now that said.  On matters of buying items from those trying to liquidate, I take from the example that my father and mother show me.  After retirement, they started a business where they buy furniture and other items from auctions, estate sales, and sometimes individuals for resale in their store.  I've been with them several times as help.

Dad has always told people what the retail for the item was new, what the market supports now, and what a fair market value is for the item.  He also tells them what he will need to mark the item at for resale, and what he would need as his profit when he sells the item.  He then gives his offer and acknowledges that they COULD sell it for more-- if they wanted to sit on it for the right buyer and was able to devote the time and energy.

95% of the time, the person selling it will take Dad's offer, and they will get a fair "wholesale" price of the time.  Dad will sell the item for a good profit.

A lot of times, I see a lot of people who get "their bubble burst" when they have an item that they think is a rare collector's item only to discover that it is either worth a lot less than what they think, or is an outright fake.  Dad has always provided them with his research to prove that when he has to break that news to them.  And he won't be a buyer of those items.

Giving a fair offer does not mean that you have to pay retail.  If you are planning on reselling it, you must give yourself room to make a profit.  The key to keeping your honor is being upfront about it.

Mom and Dad's experience is that in order to off-set the cost of keeping a business, the cost of tying up money in an item for possibly a long time, and the reality that sometimes they buy an item that turns out worthless, they must offer a price that allows them a 100% mark-up.  And they are upfront about this.

It seems to be a good way of doing business.  They get calls all the time from "word-of-mouth" referrals when people want to sell their house, downsize, or whatever.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 7:05:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not what I'd do, but if you can live with it so can I. I hate seeing someone being taken advantage of.
OK... I laughed.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 7:08:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Years ago, the brother of a co-worker died.   He had never gotten divorced, but was separated from his wife for years.

Well I went to the co-workers house to pay my respects.   He knew that I was a gun guy, and into the C&R stuff.   He had a trash can filled with old 1911's, revolvers, you name it all beautiful and with holsters.   Two bed rooms with the walls lined with primo rifles.   Two beds in each room layered with rifles.   I still have a picture of the trash can on my photobucket account.   I tried to tell the guy that I would take a mortgage  out on my house to purchase some of the stuff.   But technically it belonged to his brothers "wife."

I never found out what happened to the stuff.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 7:10:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Any business that deals in used items is not going to pay top dollar for it when buying it for resale. The goal of a FFL, Pawn Shop, etc is to get it for as little as possible and get as large of a profit as one can.

Low balling as many here claim is normal. For example, if someone walked in with a Glock 17, I ain't offering more than $200-$250. Why? Wholesale Blue Label price is $340. I need to make a profit. The pistol is used, so I have to price it competitively to sell fast when I have new merchandise right next to it and I have to make a profit. I sure ain't going to spend wholesale on a used gun and have it compete price wise and take of shelf space with new Glocks. It would languish there.

That is a nice story about your friend. Real nice. But it sure doesn't work in business.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MJBT gets it.

A business CANNOT pay what end-users pay.  Don't go to a business to liquidate anything if you want to get top dollar.

But if you want that top dollar, be ready to list it, be available to take calls about it, be available to show it, etc.

I'm going to be selling a truck soon.  I'm flat out letting my mechanic sell it for me and offering him a percentage of the overall selling price that he gets.  I'll lose some money on it due to that.  But I won't spend my day trying to sell it when I have a real job that prevents that.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 7:23:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Arfcom never disappoint.

When a club member died, and his wife was selling he guns, I bought a fudd bolt action for top dollar and made a gift of it to a friend.

I guess that was wrong. For here.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 7:52:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Arfcom never disappoint.

When a club member died, and his wife was selling he guns, I bought a fudd bolt action for top dollar and made a gift of it to a friend.

I guess that was wrong. For here.
View Quote
It isn't wrong.  But it certainly doesn't make a business needing to give a price that they can make a profit on resell wrong, either.

What you described is called "Charity."  And that is your choice.
A business cannot run as a charity for everyone that walks in off the street.  They have to have their profit margin.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 8:09:38 AM EDT
[#26]
I am a wimp...….I can't take advantage of the womenz who know shit about guns and will sell them to me for dirt cheap.

Had a woman say she would sell me a pristing S&W Model 12 for less than $100.  (IIRC it was like $75.)

I gave her $300...…..she started crying while thanking me.

I said.....why the fuck are you crying(?)..... because I was unwilling to steal from you???

That turned the crying into laughing.

Link Posted: 2/16/2019 8:10:16 AM EDT
[#27]
It's a good idea to write down values, etc in case anything happens. Also, let the other half know who not to allow assistance from. I think one should have some decency and if an item is obviously low, offer a fair price verses "ripping" people off. You have to sleep at night you know.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 8:14:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Paging @miami_jbt :)
View Quote
Hes not selling the Daewoo.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 8:20:08 AM EDT
[#29]
It's one thing to get a good deal, it's another thing to take advantage of someone. Call it what you want, to me that's wrong.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 8:30:46 AM EDT
[#30]
BLESS YOUR HEART
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 8:36:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Guy showed up at the range maybe 10 years ago with a trunk full of guns. His brother had died and he was helping settle his affairs. I picked up an unfired FN-FAL 50.00 with the sear cut for $750. The guy only wanted $500 but at the time I thought the gun was worth about $1k and told him, so we split the difference. I sold it a few days later for $4900.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 9:34:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
They say integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching so what is it called when you brag about it on the internet?
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 9:37:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 9:54:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Do you feel bad when you pick up a like new gen2 glock 17 with 17x17  loaded with federal 124 gr round mags for 350$

And then eyeball the safe seeing 3000 rounds of 5.56 federal loaded into usgi 30 rd mags and say I'll buy all of them for 5$ a mag.

I mean I can get into the tins of 7.62x39 sitting there, but at what point does your conscience start to eat at you?

I guess it's only a question I can answer.

God help my wife when I pas away and she opens the safes.
View Quote

My greatest fear
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 10:09:11 AM EDT
[#35]
There are the values you tell her, and the values you write down in an envelope in the safe with a "I love you, I'm sorry, here's what all this shit is really worth and how to sell the really exotic or NFA" note.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 10:14:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
When I die, I have instructed my wife to contact Sylvan.  He will figure it all out, and then list everything on the E.E.  
View Quote
Which category will he use for used geese? You expect him to take the reputation hit if they're not sufficiently used?

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 10:19:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
For those with significantly valuable collections why not have things planned out in advance with an estate attorney or the executor of your will? Provide them with a list, reasonable prices, and a detailed means to sell them.
View Quote
I do. Everything is inventoried, priced, and recorded in detail. Wife knows the difference between Market Value and Blue Book Value. She double majored in Business and Accounting. She knows what to do. Instructions are to get top dollar unl3ss times are tough.

That is what many people don't understand. Some just want it out. Time vs Money. You can get top dollar. But you have to work to get top dollar. If you just want it gone, then you get less.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 10:23:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
First, if you lie to your wife on how much you paid for your guns, you can't be upset when someone else lies to them when she tries to sell them.  Be honest.

I've always told my wife what I've paid, and I have a list of values.  It is really a moot point though.  All of my guns go to my son.

Now that said.  On matters of buying items from those trying to liquidate, I take from the example that my father and mother show me.  After retirement, they started a business where they buy furniture and other items from auctions, estate sales, and sometimes individuals for resale in their store.  I've been with them several times as help.

Dad has always told people what the retail for the item was new, what the market supports now, and what a fair market value is for the item.  He also tells them what he will need to mark the item at for resale, and what he would need as his profit when he sells the item.  He then gives his offer and acknowledges that they COULD sell it for more-- if they wanted to sit on it for the right buyer and was able to devote the time and energy.

95% of the time, the person selling it will take Dad's offer, and they will get a fair "wholesale" price of the time.  Dad will sell the item for a good profit.

A lot of times, I see a lot of people who get "their bubble burst" when they have an item that they think is a rare collector's item only to discover that it is either worth a lot less than what they think, or is an outright fake.  Dad has always provided them with his research to prove that when he has to break that news to them.  And he won't be a buyer of those items.

Giving a fair offer does not mean that you have to pay retail.  If you are planning on reselling it, you must give yourself room to make a profit.  The key to keeping your honor is being upfront about it.

Mom and Dad's experience is that in order to off-set the cost of keeping a business, the cost of tying up money in an item for possibly a long time, and the reality that sometimes they buy an item that turns out worthless, they must offer a price that allows them a 100% mark-up.  And they are upfront about this.

It seems to be a good way of doing business.  They get calls all the time from "word-of-mouth" referrals when people want to sell their house, downsize, or whatever.
View Quote
Yup, and with guns. It is even a harder market. You need to find the right buyer for that rare collector piece. I have a HK SLB2000. A rare commercial semiautomatic hunting rifle made for a few years. Mags alone are $200+ to out things in perspective. It ain't going to sell quick if I want top dollar.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 10:24:42 AM EDT
[#39]
My dad has repeatedly told me that in the event of his untimely death I am to prevent my mom from selling anything until I have a chance to appraise it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 10:25:52 AM EDT
[#40]
My wife is not nearly into firearms like I am. But I have explained to her the worth of the items and have a list of what they are worth ballpark range...

With that being said...if some guy got a bunch of shit from my wife on the cheap...o well...she is fine because we know how to save money and have life insurance.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 10:25:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
MJBT gets it.

A business CANNOT pay what end-users pay.  Don't go to a business to liquidate anything if you want to get top dollar.

But if you want that top dollar, be ready to list it, be available to take calls about it, be available to show it, etc.

I'm going to be selling a truck soon.  I'm flat out letting my mechanic sell it for me and offering him a percentage of the overall selling price that he gets.  I'll lose some money on it due to that.  But I won't spend my day trying to sell it when I have a real job that prevents that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MJBT gets it.

I've worked for a few FFLs in my day and my family's businesses too. The same principle applies to anything.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 10:26:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
That brick and mortar store is long closed so something didn't work with that business model. I no longer have any loyalty to brick and mortar stores, 20 plus years of supposedly patriotic Americans treating me like shit I'm over that, I order online now.

I see the value in a local finger fuck palace but not on my dime anymore. I have no problem with a business needing to turn a profit but when they say rape twice I'm out of there.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 10:27:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Paging @miami_jbt :)

No, I'm not.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 10:29:37 AM EDT
[#44]
I'd offer her about 50% of retail value because that is probably the most she's going to get for stuff that is run of the mill, especially if she wants it gone quick. For high dollar stuff that is collectable I'd tell her what it's worth and go from there.

Closest I've come to the OPs situation was when a lady my wife works with got divorced and wanted her husbands boat gone, it was an old 16' jon boat(no motor) with an old trailer. My wife asked what she wanted for it and she said $50. We went to look at it and it needed two new tires and rewired but it was still worth more than what she was asking. We told her that but she didn't care and wanted it gone so I gave her $100 for it, she was happy and I was happy. By the time I bought two tires, new bearings, andrewired the trailer my cheap boat wasn't so cheap.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 10:31:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
It's one thing to get a good deal, it's another thing to take advantage of someone. Call it what you want, to me that's wrong.
View Quote
Someone that possibly isn't good at sales/purchases for a business and/or pays more than needed?

Charity vs Business. I give folks I know money directly instead of the bullshit of they sell me something because times are hard and they need the money. When I legitimately buy things, I do it as if I wasMiami_JBT LLC and there is a damn budget and profit margin.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 10:32:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
They say integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching so what is it called when you brag about it on the internet?
View Quote
Pleasuring one's self and stroking one's ego?
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 10:35:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What's really the alternative? Someone who doesn't know or care about firearms sitting on a bunch of stuff that will never get used or sold because it is listed at gunshow prices?
View Quote
To help her out by pointing out the true value of what she has so she can make a proper decision.  It is how we are supposed to act in this country.  Of course if kicking a person while they are down is your thing, than watch out because Karma is a bitch.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 10:38:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Without pics, OP's trolling.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 10:40:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

To help her out by pointing out the true value of what she has so she can make a proper decision.  It is how we are supposed to act in this country.  Of course if kicking a person while they are down is your thing, than watch out because Karma is a bitch.
View Quote
Perhaps she does know what they are worth and just wants them gone.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 10:50:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Perhaps she does know what they are worth and just wants them gone.
View Quote
If the purchaser knows the true value he or she should then inform her so she can make a proper decision.  Is there any such thing as moral obligations anymore?  Under the same banner is getting screwed if you buy something over the internet.  I guess that in that case it just sucks to be the purchaser and your money is gone.
Page / 5
Top Top