Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 4:24:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Pretty soon the only thing you'll be able to own in FL
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 4:29:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd offer to help her out.  About a decade ago I helped a woman sell off her husband's collection of mostly old Smiths (he had a thing for 39s) and Colts (including Diamondbacks, Pythons, Troopers, etc.).

I worked for 10% commission and made her over $40,000.

I learned a lot, made some money, and I got to handle a lot of really nice firearms.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 4:31:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm about done with this thread...I've gotten enough info from GD. I appreciate it.

From here on out it's going to be portrayed as I am taking advantage of someone, which I am not.

'Preciate the help fellas.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 4:34:09 PM EDT
[#4]
yeah, that sucks

I have had family(that came out of the blue) question me before, they seem to just look up the best example they can find, that has never sold for that price and may be much more collectable because of certain features it has that the widow's gun does not, then I have to explain to them why, dig up the comps of what they really sell for etc etc........but its better to do that than have family thinking you screwed their aunt. BTW.....where were they when the widow needed help?

once there was a Win 1897 12g w/30" barrel made in 1907 that may have been unfired(never seen more minty 1897, looks like it was just made yesterday), family looks it up and finds trench gun prices.....not even remotely the same value. I did end up with it, but its just a 30" 12g that's pretty.

last time I had a bunch of Ducks Unlimited shotguns, none with interchangeable chokes, all nice guns(some were quite used, some NIB) but none were close to hard to come by, had to explain the DU didn't help the prices in most cases and actually hurt the value to some folks. Oddly the 2 that were possibly worth the most...but only to the right person were a pair of consecutive Model 37 Featherweights unfired in their boxes, but I had to value them as just single gun

Quoted:
I helped sell a dying gentlemans gun collection. Got him 30k CASH.  He still complained and his wife was angry. They thought they had a 100k collection. Trying to help people out sometimes just doesn't work!
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 4:39:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I hope this is some type of joke thread
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 4:52:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If the purchaser knows the true value he or she should then inform her so she can make a proper decision.  Is there any such thing as moral obligations anymore?  Under the same banner is getting screwed if you buy something over the internet.  I guess that in that case it just sucks to be the purchaser and your money is gone.  
View Quote
Yeah right. If I ever come across that mythical mint P7M8 for $500 at a garage sale I’m snatching it up as fast as I can pull out the money. The last thing I’m going to do is say hey you know you could sell that thing for four times as much, right?
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 4:52:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
One collects sales tax and the other doesn't.

If you want to be charitable. Be charitable. But business is business.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps she does know what they are worth and just wants them gone.
If the purchaser knows the true value he or she should then inform her so she can make a proper decision.  Is there any such thing as moral obligations anymore?  Under the same banner is getting screwed if you buy something over the internet.  I guess that in that case it just sucks to be the purchaser and your money is gone.  
So you're telling me if you go into a pawn shop and they have a brand new in the box, never fired S&W Registered Magnum priced at $300 you're going to inform the salesperson or business owner that it is actually worth serval thousands of dollars or are you going to buy it?
There's a difference between a grieving widow and a retail establishment.

Are you in "business"?  Sales taxes? Insurance? Storefront? etc.  All those things that a business has to factor in for profit that results in a wholesale price.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 4:55:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No.  It is a thread that is relevant to many of us and has some great discussion in it.

Dont be an ass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't include this in the OP, but the lady has been widowed for 5 years now, she's been trying to get me to buy these guns for a year and a half.  So it's not like I'm being a vulture and taking advantage of someone still in the grieving stages.

I did expect GD to hammer me on integrity, hell I asked for it.  But I am definitely not going to rip her off.

I did ask last time if she had gone to the local gun shops and asked them if they wanted to purchase some of the items. One said no thanks, the second one she feels like he'd give her pennies on the dollar. I agreed, he is kinda slimy.

I appreciate all the advise in this thread.  I'm going to go back over and do a detailed inventory, take it home and do some homework, then present her the findings, and give her my offer of take it all right now.  When I do that, my offer will include the time I spent and expect to spend selling the items.  As one poster mentioned above, my time is worth money, and I am also taking a gamble on whether or not I can sell the items.  A lot of the collection is something I'm not interested in personally (AK's).  I wouldn't mind having all the ammo, so I will try and purchase the whole lot, safe included.

Someone mentioned that pics are needed. This lady does really cool garden art (I have purchased a few) in hanging baskets. She makes little gnome houses in hanging gardens. They are really cool, and I appreciate her craftsmanship and detail. She builds these little hanging gardens from scratch, and it takes her a good six months to construct it. Growing the lichens and moss on the roof takes the longest. I think she undersells her talent at building these. She tried to sell me one for $125. I refused and gave her $200. My wife loves it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/444143/IMG_1614_JPG-847371.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/444143/IMG_1610_JPG-847370.jpg
So this was a troll thread after all....got it.
No.  It is a thread that is relevant to many of us and has some great discussion in it.

Dont be an ass.
Lulz...look at the first post.  He omitted info that would have made a ton of difference in the responses.  Look at his posts on this page.  He's been dealing with the woman for a year and a half.  His first post was bait and we snapped at it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 5:15:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just went through and updated my inventory as well as "exit pricing"
View Quote
You have no idea what you’re guns may be worth in the future. The market can change. You could have something in price today that in the future would be considered overpriced and it won’t get sold and you’ll have some stubborn person still insisting on X price because of you.

Conversely, something could be sold at a far lower value than what it would be worth in the future because of what you mark it down as today.

The bottom line is people need to do their homework in the current market if they want to make informed sale. It’s not in the buyer’s purview to argue for a higher price.

I have just one question, does it work? Great. Here’s the money. Thank you and have a nice day.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 5:25:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Take each item, look it up on Gunbroket with her.

Then explain how those are optimistic prices and offer 80-90% of that number.

Which is not a ripoff for her and you get something for your efforts on her behalf.

If she wants more than that, tell her how to list it and she can take it from there (on her own). She will then either get what she wants and good for her, or she will find out what it is like to liquidate estate items piecemeal.

That seems fair to me. I have not heard about any priceless Winchester '73 lever action rifle or the like, just Glocks and such.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 5:34:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm sure there's 5 pages of white knighting here so here's the real deal.......................

OP NEVER EVER FEEL BAD ABOUT GETTING A DEAL ON SOMETHING.  EVA EVA EVA.

This woman just like all of the others DOESN'T FUCKING CARE ABOUT THE MONEY.  THEY WANT THIS SHIT GONE ASAP.  That's ALL THEY WANT.

If they cared about the money they'd have had someone or one of his friends help but they didn't cause THAT'S TOO MUCH TROUBLE AND THEY WANT IT GONE NOW

This is no different than all of the Baby boomer kids at Great Generation GrandPa's estate sale selling his WW2 liberated Lugers and Samurai swords for pennies cause "who wants that old junk and ewww NAZI stuff we should just throw that away!"
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 5:37:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Lulz...look at the first post.  He omitted info that would have made a ton of difference in the responses.  Look at his posts on this page.  He's been dealing with the woman for a year and a half.  His first post was bait and we snapped at it.
View Quote
I omitted info on purpose. I wanted to get the gambit of GD response. I guess if you want to call that trolling, fine. I trolled you guys to get a response. It worked.

Sorry but that's what Arfcom GD is for.  I take it for what it's worth, and after 5 pages...I have probably gleaned all the relevant info.

From here on out I'll be called a troll (already happened) or a dirtbag taking advantage of an elderly widow, which I'm not and she's in her 50's so not that elderly.

GD is gonna GD. I got some solid business advice from this thread.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 6:06:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I omitted info on purpose. I wanted to get the gambit of GD response. I guess if you want to call that trolling, fine. I trolled you guys to get a response. It worked.

Sorry but that's what Arfcom GD is for.  I take it for what it's worth, and after 5 pages...I have probably gleaned all the relevant info.

From here on out I'll be called a troll (already happened) or a dirtbag taking advantage of an elderly widow, which I'm not and she's in her 50's so not that elderly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could have asked an honest question.

"how do you guys go about helping a widow sell a collection?"  "How do you value used guns from a widow who is not into guns?"  Stuff like that....you would get a lot of the same responses with out the drama.

No, GD is not all about the drama or trolling.  There are actual honest discussions that go on.

Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

"how do you guys go about helping a widow sell a collection?"  "How do you value used guns from a widow who is not into guns?"  Stuff like that....you would get a lot of the same responses with out the drama.

No, GD is not all about the drama or trolling.  There are actual honest discussions that go on.

Good luck to you.
View Quote
What the fuck did I post that was dishonest? Cause you just called me out as dishonest.

I'll make sure from here on out, that when I post in GD I include every last detail about my life and transactions so no ambiguity can arise.

Hopefully the weather clears so you can get outside now and then. You probably need a little Jesus in your life.

Good luck to you too, Sir.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 7:17:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm about done with this thread...I've gotten enough info from GD. I appreciate it.

From here on out it's going to be portrayed as I am taking advantage of someone, which I am not.

'Preciate the help fellas.
View Quote
Actually, it looks like you are taking advantage; and we are using what information you have shared to make that
assessment.
Integrity and ethics.....there seems to be a deficiency. But, as long as you get your guns, ammo, magazines,
and safe(?), you will be a winner in your mind. Sleep easy.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 7:45:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What the fuck did I post that was dishonest? Cause you just called me out as dishonest.

I'll make sure from here on out, that when I post in GD I include every last detail about my life and transactions so no ambiguity can arise.

Hopefully the weather clears so you can get outside now and then. You probably need a little Jesus in your life.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck to you.

LOL...drops F bomb and tells me I need Jesus.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 8:06:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Actually, it looks like you are taking advantage; and we are using what information you have shared to make that
assessment.
Integrity and ethics.....there seems to be a deficiency. But, as long as you get your guns, ammo, magazines,
and safe(?), you will be a winner in your mind. Sleep easy.
View Quote
I understand your point. I don't see the deficiency in my ethics if I buy and then resell stuff.

If I make 25% on the sale of the goods would I be un-ethical?

How would that be an integirty issue when I have explained to the widow about gunbroker foir the
last year?
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 8:08:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oh you've never been around men and women who drop the f-bomb.

God is the only one who can judge us.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 8:47:03 AM EDT
[#19]
I would try to get a fair deal for me, but yet not totally break it off in her either.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 1:21:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

A person walks in with a 1st gen Colt SAA army and the dealer offers them $200, A person walks in with a Benelli shotgun and they offer $150 I've witnessed it - those are rapey offers don't you think? These are items that they can sell quickly and won't collect dust.
View Quote
And the person that sells to the first dealer they go to is a moron .

If I had a bunch of say coins or something else I knew little about I wanted to get rid of I'd take it to multiple dealers .

FWIW , it always seems the dealers aou d here including the big box stores always seem to be within 5-10% of each other on their buy offers .
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 1:26:13 PM EDT
[#21]
At least those guns didn't go to thugs or the police for disposal.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yup, but until then I'll keep rummaging through estate sales and buying things off old ladies.

Link Posted: 2/17/2019 2:25:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Are you in "business"?  Sales taxes? Insurance? Storefront? etc.  All those things that a business has to factor in for profit that results in a wholesale price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you're telling me if you go into a pawn shop and they have a brand new in the box, never fired S&W Registered Magnum priced at $300 you're going to inform the salesperson or business owner that it is actually worth serval thousands of dollars or are you going to buy it?

I've been in business a number of times. As for my private purchases. I look for the best deal, not the charitable deal.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've been in business a number of times. As for my private purchases. I look for the best deal, not the charitable deal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, when I kick the bucket you can have all mine and avoid the hassle of little old widows.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Dam baptists. F em
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top