BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 5:42:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It takes a special kind of bad decision making to buy in at the top of the market. Just sayin. Interest rates will climb but prices will collapse soon. All bubbles burst.
View Quote

2 more weeks!
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 6:00:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

2 more weeks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It takes a special kind of bad decision making to buy in at the top of the market. Just sayin. Interest rates will climb but prices will collapse soon. All bubbles burst.

2 more weeks!

Folks that don’t understand we have supply/demand doing what it does and trying to wait for prices to fall, at the same time saying mortgage rates must rise.

I just don’t how to comment to that…wishful thinking I guess and a fundamental lack of understanding of supply and demand.

The free money won’t last forever. And nobody knows when it will stop. But I like free money (mortgage rates way below inflation, free fucking money)
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 6:13:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This can only persist for so long. At the same time borrowing money is essentially free right now but that's because of a combination of factors of money supply being artificially increased by federal spending and interest rate gerrymandering to prop up an economy in distress after lockdown induced GDP collapses the world over have wrought huge long term damage to global economies.

Artificially low interest rates cannot persist for long.
Artificially high property values cannot persist for long.
Artificially sustained incomes from government handouts cannot persist for long.

We are on the precipice of an economic reset of truly historic proportions. People that buy now are the helpful fools that people like me depend on so we can take advantage of their foolishness as we cyclically buy low and sell high from fools that cyclically buy high and sell low.
View Quote

Low interest rates have nowhere to go but up.

High, absurdly high property values have nowhere to go but down.

Only a matter of time.

This is an incredibly astute observation.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 6:24:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Only a matter of time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This can only persist for so long. At the same time borrowing money is essentially free right now but that's because of a combination of factors of money supply being artificially increased by federal spending and interest rate gerrymandering to prop up an economy in distress after lockdown induced GDP collapses the world over have wrought huge long term damage to global economies.

Artificially sustained incomes from government handouts cannot persist for long.

We are on the precipice of an economic reset of truly historic proportions. People that buy now are the helpful fools that people like me depend on so we can take advantage of their foolishness as we cyclically buy low and sell high from fools that cyclically buy high and sell low.

Only a matter of time.

People said the same thing a year ago…yet here we are.  Even a decade ago.

The price on homes is supply/demand. Being a doomer for a decade, well you guys just lost a decade you’ll never get back.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

It has to be a “bubble” to burst.

The “special kind” are the folks who make proclamations without knowing the factors moving the market.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Do the math.

a $750k loan at 3.25% is about $3250 per month

a $575k loan at 5.25% is about $3175 per month

If you expect interest rates to rise and plan on being in the house long term, then buying now is the smart move.
View Quote

The flaw in this logic is that when rates go up, prices go down.

In fact, the very reason we are in this mess, with RE prices being what they are, is because of absurdly low interest rates.

In fact, 1970's with very high interest rates like 19% had housing prices that were 30-40K on the average, and in rural areas, even less than this. Actually much less.
I get it the 1979 dollar is not the same as 2022 dollar, obviously,  but things are so out of whack.
what's is so good about very low interest rates when RE in major metro areas is just absurdly priced.

I would prefer a 40K house at 22% versus $599K townhouse in DC area for 2.5% or whatever it is. Even adjusted for inflation.

I don't know how people make ends meet in major metro areas like Jersey or DC or Chicago.

RE has become less and less affordable than ever. No matter how they spin interest rates or prices. It has become an investment vehicle.

Link Posted: 12/18/2021 6:33:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The “special kind” are the folks who make proclamations without knowing the factors moving the market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Work from home changed everything.  Fueled demand bigly. Combine with low supply….

Supply/demand
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 6:43:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  When interest rates bump up, real estate values will bump down.  If you buy now and prices dip back 20% or 30% or more (it's happened before) you end up in a position where if you have to sell, YOU get to write the check at closing.

Link Posted: 12/18/2021 6:49:08 PM EDT
[#9]
New homes that were 40K in the 1980's here,  are now selling for close to 500K. SICK!
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This.  When interest rates bump up, real estate values will bump down.  If you buy now and prices dip back 20% or 30% or more (it's happened before) you end up in a position where if you have to sell, YOU get to write the check at closing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then don’t put yourself in a condition of have to sell and treating a house as an investment.

It’s not.  Your primary residence is NOT an investment. It’s a place to live.  This concept isn’t that damn hard.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#11]
My thought is this:
You can always try and get a lower interest rate than what you bought with.
You can never get a lower price than what you paid.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 7:05:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My thought is this:
You can always try and get a lower interest rate than what you bought with.
You can never get a lower price than what you paid.
View Quote

And why would that matter if you don’t sell?

That’s why I asked way early in the thread “how long do you plan on living here”

A house is not an investment. It’s an illiquid asset where you sleep.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 7:08:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

And why would that matter if you don’t sell?

That’s why I asked way early in the thread “how long do you plan on living here”

A house is not an investment. It’s an illiquid asset where you sleep.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/18/2021 7:23:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 12/18/2021 7:31:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Interesting. Because real estate is in the institutional phase right now/smart money phase.

Do you even know what that chart means or the time line?

But I repeat. Your primary residence is NOT an investment. It’s a place to sleep and spend most of your time outside of work.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 8:04:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thx for the correction. People don’t know opportunity when it’s staring them in the face.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 9:47:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Why would home prices drop?
View Quote

The same reason they dropped last time.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 9:53:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is this really a bubble?  I have no doubt there will be a correction but subprime loans aren’t being given out like pre 2008.  It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if there’s on a small correction.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 9:53:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I sold at the top and bought at the top because I’d rather be stuck in the new house.

If the economy really does collapse the price won’t matter, being able to defend it will.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 9:55:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I wouldn't.  Everything is in a bubble right now.

The trick is to keep your liquidity and to preserve your wealth.  Keeping it in the bank (holidays), dollars under the mattress (devalued due to brrrrrrr!) or the stock market doesn't count (no liquidity).

When the wheels fall off, that's when you buy and then some.

So, what's the difference between money and currency?  Everyone will know in 2022.
View Quote

Liquidity has opportunity cost too.  It doesn’t do you much good to have liquid assets if they lose the ability to buy tangible things.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 10:02:42 PM EDT
[#21]
All depends on your confidence in being able to make the payments.

Shit happens.

It happens a lot worse when you have a big mortgage.  

If it came down to it, we could shit the cash to pay off the house. That provides a huge peace of mind while the world goes to shit.

Don’t listen to me though, I’d take what cash you have, blow 90% on land and 5% on the residence.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 10:12:24 PM EDT
[#22]
I see a lot of reference to ‘08 & “bad” loans as a justification to go ahead and get on this balloon.

The bottom line is, in ‘08, a lot of people quit paying their mortgage. The reason is not important.
One would be a fool to think we’re not on the cusp of that again.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 10:37:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

At mortgage rates less than inflation why would you pay off free money in times of high inflation?  That makes no sense.
View Quote

I just wrote the check to pay off my house yesterday.

It will save me 150k in interest over the term of the loan that I will never get back. Most of the interest you pay is in the beginning of the loan.  So now instead of paying interest and losing $500/  month I keep that 500 per month when it is worth more than it will be later. Fuck that. Ill pay it off now. Makes no sense to pay interest if you dont have to. Inflation rates dont always equal an equal amount of added costs to your budget anyway. How many light trucks and houses do you buy every year? Food/gas sure.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 10:40:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I see a lot of reference to ‘08 & “bad” loans as a justification to go ahead and get on this balloon.

The bottom line is, in ‘08, a lot of people quit paying their mortgage. The reason is not important.
One would be a fool to think we’re not on the cusp of that again.
View Quote

The reason is important. They stopped paying because their ARM reset and their mortgage payment quadrupled.

If you are going to make predictions about something then should know at least basic information.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 10:45:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Do the math.

a $750k loan at 3.25% is about $3250 per month

a $575k loan at 5.25% is about $3175 per month

If you expect interest rates to rise and plan on being in the house long term, then buying now is the smart move.
View Quote

This is right but it depends on what you expect

If youre waiting for a crash based on a recession then i would wait

I think rates are going to go up to tamp down inflation. In this case your house value would drop because the amount people are willing to pay will stay the same. But only now it will involve higher interest rates. If youre paying cash then wait. If youre going 30 year then you have to decide what the point of buying is.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 10:48:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It will save me 150k in interest over the term of the loan that I will never get back. Most of the interest you pay is in the beginning of the loan.  So now instead of paying interest and losing $500/  month I keep that 500 per month when it is worth more than it will be later. Fuck that. Ill pay it off now. Makes no sense to pay interest if you dont have to. Inflation rates dont always equal an equal amount of added costs to your budget anyway. How many light trucks and houses do you buy every year? Food/gas sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At mortgage rates less than inflation why would you pay off free money in times of high inflation?  That makes no sense.

That’s cool. I refi’d for 30 years, including cash out for 200k, then another 100k heloc. Refi was 3%, heloc 2.5%.  

While you’re concerned with paying interest, my money is making way more that generates serious income so I won’t need to work.  Inflation is my friend, it’s a constant. As is my mortgage rate, for 30 years at least.

Your cash loses value every single day.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 10:49:27 PM EDT
[#27]
I would say buy something you can pay for free and clear and put your money into something that will out perform inflation and then build a house when you are ready to retire in some place where cost of living and crime is low.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 10:54:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Monthly payments determine affordability based on income. This is basic economics.
Monthly payments are comprised of loan balance and interest rate that is inversely proportional.
If interest rates go up, housing prices go down and payment is roughly the same.
If rates go down, housing prices go up and payment is roughly the same.
all other factors being equal.
Inflation will drive prices up as well, a factor not being equal, but present always.
Longer mortgage lengths is also something that could creep in to keep prices high, 40/50+ year terms like in Japan.

If prices climb and wages stagnate, there are less that can afford that house, demand drops and prices drop to meet the demand.
People can afford todays increasing house prices because payments are relatively low, because of low interest rates.

Go ahead and calculate your mortgage with 16% interest rate. Many couldn't afford it. Demand would drop and prices will decline.

300K loan @ 3% @ 30 yr term is $1265
@ 4% is $1432
@ 5% is $1610
@10% is $2633
@16% is $4034
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why would home prices drop?

Monthly payments determine affordability based on income. This is basic economics.
Monthly payments are comprised of loan balance and interest rate that is inversely proportional.
If interest rates go up, housing prices go down and payment is roughly the same.
If rates go down, housing prices go up and payment is roughly the same.
all other factors being equal.
Inflation will drive prices up as well, a factor not being equal, but present always.
Longer mortgage lengths is also something that could creep in to keep prices high, 40/50+ year terms like in Japan.

If prices climb and wages stagnate, there are less that can afford that house, demand drops and prices drop to meet the demand.
People can afford todays increasing house prices because payments are relatively low, because of low interest rates.

Interest rates reached their highest point in modern history in 1981 when the annual average was 16.63%, according to the Freddie Mac data. Fixed rates declined from there, but they finished the decade around 10%. The 1980s were an expensive time to borrow money.

Go ahead and calculate your mortgage with 16% interest rate. Many couldn't afford it. Demand would drop and prices will decline.

300K loan @ 3% @ 30 yr term is $1265
@ 4% is $1432
@ 5% is $1610
@10% is $2633
@16% is $4034
Now go calculate what servicing the national debt would cost at 16% interest (I'll help, it is currently $350b/yr at 1.5%, so $3.7tr/yr.) now do you understand why the answer to all your questions is: inflation.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 10:57:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Let's say you find your $800k house.

For round numbers, assume you can put $100k down on it.

$700k to mortgage at 3.5% with insurance and taxes in each payment for 30 years.

That comes out to $150 per day you have to pay until 2052.

Do you want a $4500/month house payment?

Because that's how you get a $4500/month house payment.

Wait for a little while and pile up cash as best you can.

I bet you find a good deal by the end of 2022.
View Quote
Depends, if they're bringing in $25k a month before taxes, $4500 isn't that scary.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 7:17:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Your biggest cost of living is the mortgage. In inflation your cost of living actually goes down. Not up.  Provided you use free tucking money.
View Quote

this assumes you are independently wealthy, have a pile of gold and do not depend on a source of income.

In the real world, most people are creditors and get paid via whatever method. Inflation hurts creditors. So what if a mortgage is turned onto pocket change via inflation? Your paycheck or income has also turned into dust.

In reality, the latter will cancel out the former.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 7:19:05 PM EDT
[#31]
nobody knows, but the comparisons to 2008 are retarded

djia goes down 50% on monday, i'm calling it now
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 8:50:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

this assumes you are independently wealthy, have a pile of gold and do not depend on a source of income.

In the real world, most people are creditors and get paid via whatever method. Inflation hurts creditors. So what if a mortgage is turned onto pocket change via inflation? Your paycheck or income has also turned into dust.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your biggest cost of living is the mortgage. In inflation your cost of living actually goes down. Not up.  Provided you use free tucking money.

Wow. This kind of thinking keeps you beholden to a paycheck instead of building wealth in what is the most opportunistic time I’ve ever seen in my life.

You’re a slave. This kind of thinking will keep you there.

Full disclosure, I still “have” to work. Only because if I don’t I can’t make more money.

Doomer thinking will keep you a slave, because that’s all you know. And build your cage around you.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 9:16:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Apart from the oodles of logical reasons above from people who also understand how it works:

There is a concerted effort in the one state that is a driver of economic forcings in other states' real estate markets (Commiefornia) toward apartmentalization (that is, the increasing of housing density with multi-tenant structures being the inevitable design goal). Increases in numbers of units is radically changing the real estate landscape in Commiefornia and only being offset by a great diaspora from the denser urban areas toward the countryside. As the fools that bought high in the metroplexes leave the metroplexes for the countryside only to buy high in the countryside the residents of the countryside who bought low are selling high and leaving for greener pastures in other states flush with cash which is radically increasing prices in other states. This can only persist for so long. At the same time borrowing money is essentially free right now but that's because of a combination of factors of money supply being artificially increased by federal spending and interest rate gerrymandering to prop up an economy in distress after lockdown induced GDP collapses the world over have wrought huge long term damage to global economies.

View Quote

They've persisted longer than some of our members have been alive. We've been in the same zero-boundary crisis for 20 years with short rates below the real inflation rate, and there's no reason to believe that's going to change. This isn't 1980, the government can't afford to pay 18% on it's debt.

Nobody who has any chance of being in any position of power any time soon is going to choose a deflationary depression over an inflationary one. The vast majority of Americans either have lots of debt, lots of assets, or both, relative to their actual worth and compared to anywhere else.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
lol
View Quote

What I was thinking.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 10:35:13 PM EDT
[#35]
My business sold only into the new home market (middle 50%) for thirty years. I started when prime was 18%. The market was DEAD. It had no place but up to go. I rode the bucking bronc through three meltdowns. If you want to see WHEN the next one has started find a friend in the carpet biz or some other last in line vendor and ask him how his receivables are. There's your sign.

Many times homes in Kali have been bought and sold over the last few decades with each successive sale being higher than the last. Ask yourself WHEN the group of idiots willing to pay over $1M for an eighty year old one bedroom frame house built in the late '40s or '50s is going to dry up if not disappear all together. It truly will be a domino effect IMO where a single area in/of the country will fail , word will spread, more will halt the buying and then boom. No more sales. It's a giant game of musical chairs at that point.

In the past it was slightly different in that there were underwriting failures being responsible or interest rates or another trigger that started the decline. This time I'm convinced that it will be a combination of those things only highly aggravated by the illegal alien invasion. Mom and Pop "mortgage" companies will skirt the rules with corrupt politicians trying to get in on the goldmine. Impossible terms will be sold to people with "no money down!" or some other gimmick and the pin will be pulled.

To the OP,,You must be a person of means as you're asking about homes that most only dream of. The laws of supply and demand don't care about your intentions, education, profession or anything else. The only thing that matters to the mortgage company is did you check enough boxes to allow them to sell the note before you default. In 1986 my building note was a bit over $12,000 per month. My bank called my note even though I was current and well capitalized. Didn't make ANY DIFFERENCE. The "RTC" came in and took over all the commercial RE loans no matter the condition of the loan. The taxpayers took a bath as the "RTC" made me a NEW loan with a 60% reduction in our principal. They did this with LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of commercial loans. My payment went to just under $4k per month over night. I wanted to pay the bank. They didn't want me to pay. They were closed and renamed and then re-opened. We took the deal and never looked back. We literally had no choice in the matter.

Soon there will be bargains galore for astute investors I suppose but I have a sinking feeling that this time around the recovery period will be longer by an order of magnitude. My Son and DIL , both with advanced degrees, would like a larger home but they have decided to stay put even though their home value has seen a rather large increase. It's a smart move I firmly believe. It just made sense to them to stay put for a few years and continue to increase their savings rates as opposed to spending their money on interest.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 11:07:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My business sold only into the new home market (middle 50%) for thirty years. I started when prime was 18%. The market was DEAD. It had no place but up to go. I rode the bucking bronc through three meltdowns. If you want to see WHEN the next one has started find a friend in the carpet biz or some other last in line vendor and ask him how his receivables are. There's your sign.

Many times homes in Kali have been bought and sold over the last few decades with each successive sale being higher than the last. Ask yourself WHEN the group of idiots willing to pay over $1M for an eighty year old one bedroom frame house built in the late '40s or '50s is going to dry up if not disappear all together. It truly will be a domino effect IMO where a single area in/of the country will fail , word will spread, more will halt the buying and then boom. No more sales. It's a giant game of musical chairs at that point.

In the past it was slightly different in that there were underwriting failures being responsible or interest rates or another trigger that started the decline. This time I'm convinced that it will be a combination of those things only highly aggravated by the illegal alien invasion. Mom and Pop "mortgage" companies will skirt the rules with corrupt politicians trying to get in on the goldmine. Impossible terms will be sold to people with "no money down!" or some other gimmick and the pin will be pulled.

To the OP,,You must be a person of means as you're asking about homes that most only dream of. The laws of supply and demand don't care about your intentions, education, profession or anything else. The only thing that matters to the mortgage company is did you check enough boxes to allow them to sell the note before you default. In 1986 my building note was a bit over $12,000 per month. My bank called my note even though I was current and well capitalized. Didn't make ANY DIFFERENCE. The "RTC" came in and took over all the commercial RE loans no matter the condition of the loan. The taxpayers took a bath as the "RTC" made me a NEW loan with a 60% reduction in our principal. They did this with LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of commercial loans. My payment went to just under $4k per month over night. I wanted to pay the bank. They didn't want me to pay. They were closed and renamed and then re-opened. We took the deal and never looked back. We literally had no choice in the matter.

Soon there will be bargains galore for astute investors I suppose but I have a sinking feeling that this time around the recovery period will be longer by an order of magnitude. My Son and DIL , both with advanced degrees, would like a larger home but they have decided to stay put even though their home value has seen a rather large increase. It's a smart move I firmly believe. It just made sense to them to stay put for a few years and continue to increase their savings rates as opposed to spending their money on interest.
View Quote

And their savings is getting eaten alive by inflation in a time of 3% mortgage rates, in a time where their cashflow and career would be taking off.

But socking away cash is a good financial move.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top