Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/26/2018 11:08:08 PM EDT
Going to be re siding the house  and need to get some insight and honesty from the experts who install siding for a living and what route I should go
half of the house is currently faced with red cedar shingles and needs to be replaced , the area that needs to be done is in a very shaded area that gets very little sun if any.
I have heard that Hardie board is very labour intensive , vinyl siding I hear is very maintenance free but does fade over time , I seem to be leaning more towards cedar clapboard
and heres why , it's going to be the first thing you see as you pull into the driveway and is visible from the street just looks better than vinyl in my opinion , am I wrong ? any help
will be greatly appreciated , even if you could recommend some websites to help with ideas would be great .
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 11:10:28 PM EDT
[#1]
We have hard board when we got our house built.  I looks so much better than vinyl.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 11:15:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Vinyl is shit.

Hardie board is maintenance free beyond paint.

Cedar is what Hardie is emulating but requires maintenance.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 11:15:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I had replace the T1-11 wood siding on my south facing chimney chase back in ‘02 (IIRC) - I used Hardipanel because I never want to do the job again. The Hardipanel wasn’t a total PITA to install and it looks great ~15 years later.  If I have reside my house I’ll use Hardipanel without question.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 11:24:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Hardie/thread.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 11:25:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hardie/thread.
View Quote
or fake stones - vinyl looks like shit.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 11:35:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I’ve had hardie on my house for going on 15 years.
ZERO maintenance. Looks as good as the day it was installed. It’s very tough stuff.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 11:39:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I saw these on a Street of Dreams home from 2 feet away and thought they were real wood - https://www.jameshardie.com/products/hardieshingle-siding

Cedar is a maintenance hassle and fire risk. Vinyl decreases the value of your home.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 11:40:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Hardie on my house. Why does it seem more labor intensive? As others have said, vinyl looks like what it is....cheap.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 11:41:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Cement board is not maintenance free and needs to be kept up like any other product with caulk and paint. It will disintegrate if kept wet like around a poorly flashed area.

Hate vinyl.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 11:41:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Hardie is great stuff. I used to have a house with it. If I ever build a wood framed house, it will have Hardie.

Houses require maintenance. If you don't want it, you have to rent.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 11:43:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I have some kind of hardie-board type siding on my residence.  It looks like compressed sawdust with some kind of cementatious binder.  Cutting it dulls a circular saw blade like you can't believe.  It's very durable BUT YOU HAVE TO KEEP IT PAINTED.  Cedar dries out, esp. in Aridzona.  I owned a rental with vinyl.  Never again.  It mildews and gets chalky.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 11:54:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 11:56:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Cement board is not maintenance free and needs to be kept up like any other product with caulk and paint. It will disintegrate if kept wet like around a poorly flashed area.

Hate vinyl.
View Quote
I’ve got an a/c condensate line that was poorly run and it drips constantly on several planks throughout the year almost nonstop. The paint is gone and the boards are stained but they are still hard as a rock and have held up great.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 11:57:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How does LP Smartside stack up?  Lots of builders in the area are using that.  Looks easier to work with than Hardie.
View Quote
We’re building now and using a combination of LP and Hardie. LP for the trim boards and Hardie for the siding.

It can be cut with a regular blade where the Hardie requires a special blade IIRC.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 11:59:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 12:12:48 AM EDT
[#16]
in 2011 we had a tornado/hailstorm, golfball and larger sized hail.  Tore up our roof, skylights, aluminum over wood window frames, gutters, steel clad doors and even chipped up some bricks on the 'bad' side where the hail hit.

Only thing that didnt get damaged was the hardie that is around the screened in porch, its white and except for a couple tiny edges it looked like new. I'm a believer in that stuff, anything in the area with vinyl siding was torn to shreds.

House is 11 years old now and I have had to paint all the wood on the exterior twice and have never touched the Hardie, painter said not to mess with it unless its peeling/fading.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 12:13:55 AM EDT
[#17]
We're also building now and are using LP for siding and trim. We took it a step further and bought the prefinished stuff from www.woodtone.com. We used Hardi on the the last house fourteen years ago and really liked it but decided not to spend the money this time. Our cost for 200 16' sticks of the LP Woodtone was $5000. This is Alaska so freight really jacks the price.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 12:15:56 AM EDT
[#18]
I really like my Hardie board. Looked like a bitch to install it though.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 12:17:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Get the Hardie board
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 12:22:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Hardie all the way. I got rid of all the vinyl on my house finally. Last bit was the very back. For a few reasons we couldn’t brick it and hardie was the next best thing imo.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 12:29:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Look into boral. Doesn’t expand or contract with temp changes

http://www.boralamerica.com/TruExterior
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 12:37:14 AM EDT
[#22]
I’m a painter. Cedar shingles, let them grey out and keep them clean. Enjoy the next 25 years of your life with out worrying about your siding.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 12:40:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I really like my Hardie board. Looked like a bitch to install it though.
View Quote
It's not that bad. Just needs a dedicated blade and siding guns.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 12:59:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Hardie all the way. Any contractor who complains about it being hard to install are lazy and would rather install vinyl.

Find a Hardie installer who only does hardie. They will have the right tools, knowledge and experience and your home will look excellent.

You get some local contractor who only does it when he has to you won't be happy.

Also if you have garage doors with the 45° top corners tell them to pull the 45s and trim out to a square corner with a wide board header. It will look so much better.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 1:05:16 AM EDT
[#25]
We did Hardi on my Dad's workshop. 15 years, 3 hurricanes, and 2 floods later, and it still looks great.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 1:11:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Hardi is great stuff.

Cedar is not what it used to be, there just aren't enough old trees to make good siding out of anymore.

Wood fiber siding can be really good or really bad, it depends on how it's made.

Vinyl is functional but that's all.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 1:13:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Hardie without a second thought.

There is Hardie boards in trim sizes if you need to replace trim pieces.  Check around windows and other likely to be rotten spots and replace the wood with Hardie.  It's a buy once cry once situation.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 2:05:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Going to be re siding the house  and need to get some insight and honesty from the experts who install siding for a living and what route I should go
half of the house is currently faced with red cedar shingles and needs to be replaced , the area that needs to be done is in a very shaded area that gets very little sun if any.
I have heard that Hardie board is very labour intensive , vinyl siding I hear is very maintenance free but does fade over time , I seem to be leaning more towards cedar clapboard
and heres why , it's going to be the first thing you see as you pull into the driveway and is visible from the street just looks better than vinyl in my opinion
, am I wrong ? any help
will be greatly appreciated , even if you could recommend some websites to help with ideas would be great .
View Quote
Real natural cedar is a very good choice. I like it . it is extremely long lasting , naturally very bug resistant , and requires very little maintenance to stay good looking and last a LONG time.

My Dad built a garage 50 years ago and used cedar on the exterior and it looks today like the day he finished it.

You don't paint cedar you use a stain or wood preservative  .  I mean you can paint it but that would be stupid. Pick the color stain you like or leave it natural. If left natural, just hit it with a coat of preservative every 3 or 4 years to keep it like new.

I don't like paint. Paint is a pain in the ass and more maintenance  intensive.

It is FAR easier and much faster to hit cedar with a stain or preservative to keep it in tip top shape.  I have an old cedar picnic table that lived outside uncovered in the elements for 30 years and the wood itself is still straight  and solid.

Vinyl sucks and  Hardie board looks just like vinyl. It has no character and you still have to paint the shit anyway.  It is a long lasting product but still requires painting.

Like I said, maintaining cedar is easy.  You don't paint it.  Stain or a preservative doesn't peel or crack..... you will never have to scrap cedar.... just nail the stuff up, stain it or use a preservative which is much easier than painting and forget about it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 2:14:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I’m a painter. Cedar shingles, let them grey out and keep them clean. Enjoy the next 25 years of your life with out worrying about your siding.
View Quote
Yep.  If you like the gray color/weathered look you can do that.  If you like color you can stain it and if you want to keep it looking natural use a preservative.  You have choices.

Best part is painting and scrapping etc. does not apply.

IMHO, these fake sidings with fake woodgrain that look like vinyl  but still need painting aren't nearly as attractive or low maintenance as cedar.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 2:43:23 AM EDT
[#30]
I have vinyl on my house (came with it, and the budget is not there yet to replace it as I haven't even moved in yet). It is white vinyl too. It looks clean and nice from a distance, but you get up close and you notice a hole here, grime there, and just a "plasticky" look to it. Not what I would have opted for personally. I would recommend the Hardie Board or something along that line. It is almost rot free and lasts a long time.

When I do get around to replacing the siding, I will have to see what is underneath and go from there.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 3:06:42 AM EDT
[#31]
I'll be building here soon and i'm still trying to figure out what I want. Does anyone know what the price per sqft is on the painted LP smartside lap siding?
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 4:09:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
How does LP Smartside stack up?  Lots of builders in the area are using that.  Looks easier to work with than Hardie.
View Quote
My friend has 2 homes with LP Smartside that are now over 10 years old.
No issues and looks like new.

Read through the installation instructions on both products. Hardie requires a 2” gap to the roof while LP requires only 1”
LP requires cut ends to be primed and painted.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 4:16:13 AM EDT
[#33]
I fix a shitload of wood rot for a living. Today's cedar is not what you want, I promise you. A side from the 25% markup over the past year, the density of this new growth shit is rotting out far faster than anything out there. No matter how much paint you can throw at it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 4:16:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Double tap
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 4:18:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
My friend has 2 homes with LP Smartside that are now over 10 years old.
No issues and looks like new.

Read through the installation instructions on both products. Hardie requires a 2” gap to the roof while LP requires only 1”
LP requires cut ends to be primed and painted.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 4:46:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Royal Mouldings Celect siding. Very easy to install and no painting
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for all your replies, as I said in my original post the area of the house is well protected from the sun so not worried about the wood siding peeling or fading , so its down to wood siding or
Hardie board now , the one lumber store I got a price  for the wood cedar siding comes primed ? can someone explain why it is primed already , I would have thought that they would leave it untreated
so the home owner can decide on what to do with it as far as staining it .
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 10:56:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Thanks for all your replies, as I said in my original post the area of the house is well protected from the sun so not worried about the wood siding peeling or fading , so its down to wood siding or
Hardie board now , the one lumber store I got a price  for the wood cedar siding comes primed ? can someone explain why it is primed already , I would have thought that they would leave it untreated
View Quote
Really, don't buy cedar siding.

Old growth cedar siding was great stuff, but you can't get that anymore. Young red cedar is not a good tree to make siding out of.

Just get the Hardi.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 11:14:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Been through this myself.

Go Hardi. Vinyl does look like crap and as mentioned already the good quality cedar needed for long lasting construction is either impossible to find or very expensive.

Please note: Be sure you or the installer knows how to properly affix the Hardi. Some think any nail that sticks it up there will do.  Mine was getting started with unfinished 'bright' nails before I stopped him.  Pay extra for stainless or other appropriate corrosion resistant fasteners or you might get rust stains at every nail.  A few dollars more in nails and good paint will mean years of trouble free Hardi.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 11:23:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Can you pressure wash Hardie? We get mildew, etc growing on anything that sits still in MD due to the humidity.

My house has vinyl over wood siding in some areas, other areas the vinyl is directly on the fiberboard sheathing, so nail retention is nil on fiberboard and the studs spit them out. There are crossbraces inlaid into the studs, thus the non-structural sheathing. The vinyl was cut short in a number of places, such as it will pop out of the corner if it shifts an inch to one side and I get to climb up and reset it, then set a screw in the flange to prevent it from shifting or popping out again. I think I need to redo the current sheathing in 3/8" OSB, tyvek, and then pick a new color as part of adding 49% of the current sqft in an addition.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Hardi should also qualify as masonry on your home owners insurance qualifying you for a discount.

FWIW - Hardi is a brand name. Numerous mfgs make the same quality product. It’s generically refereed to as cement fiber siding.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 11:30:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Can you pressure wash Hardie? We get mildew, etc growing on anything that sits still in MD due to the humidity.

Kharn
View Quote
Yes
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#43]
My guess is Hardi would pressure wash similar to a wood product that had a well adhered coat of paint.  Paint sticks very well (and uniformly) to Hardi.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 12:32:34 PM EDT
[#44]
I put vinyl on my house. If I had placed the footing wider when I built it I would have replaced the vinyl with brick by now.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Old growth cedar siding was great stuff, but you can't get that anymore. Young red cedar is not a good tree to make siding out of.

Just get the Hardi.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just get the Hardi.
This.
Have Hardie lap siding on my home 12 years & it looks as good as the day it was installed.
Only thing I would add is use a quality exterior caulk & paint. Don’t spare any expense on the top coat if you want a hassle free finish.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 1:26:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Hardie is all the rage these days, really no other siding options that compare in terms of durability and maintenance (or lack there of).
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 1:33:57 PM EDT
[#47]
I renovated a house and did the whole thing in Hardie board, my current house is Hardie board and if I ever did in another house it would be Hardie board. Especially if you are any place that is in danger of wild Fire. Other than CBS it's the most fire-resistant thing out there.
I wouldn't even remotely consider cedar or vinyl siding if I live someplace that could ever have a brush fire or forest fire.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 2:00:26 PM EDT
[#48]
I did my house in all cedar 21 years ago and it has held up fantastic.  It was fully prestained on installation and I stained it again a few years ago and it still looks great.  That being said, I don't think the cedar today is as good as it was then and would probably do hardie board if I had to redo it.  I wouldn't even consider vinyl.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 2:07:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I had replace the T1-11 wood siding on my south facing chimney chase back in ‘02 (IIRC) - I used Hardipanel because I never want to do the job again. The Hardipanel wasn’t a total PITA to install and it looks great ~15 years later.  If I have reside my house I’ll use Hardipanel without question.
View Quote
And t1-11 is a royal pain too if you don't have a nail gun.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 2:10:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Vinyl/Cedar<Hardie<LP Smartside<Steel (depends on aesthetics)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top