BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 12:07:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Woo-Hoo...Page 2!

Quoted:

I have an old RC truck that has been sitting in parts for a while, the front and rear diff spider gears blew apart.  I have been unable to find a match that will work.  At this point I am thinking about using JB Weld or bondo to make an entirely new front and rear diff fit in the housing.
View Quote

What truck/model is it, exactly?  I am curious!

I got to tell you, I was bummed out when it started free-wheeling and not climbing hardly at all while cousin's TRX4 was flying all around me, mocking my Jeep, lol.  Just getting good working results and the thought of "grounding" it was making me sick to my stomach, mainly because I was about to drop another $300 in parts or $400 in another truck.  I do want a TRX4, just got my eye on the new Losi Super Baja Rey 2.0 right now, too and that is 2x what TRX4's are running.  It literally took me 2 hours of google-foo and about 2 hours total(including a dinner squeezed in) to get my front ripped apart, fixed and back together running test runs in front and back yard areas.  Only because I had a parts bin full of gears, though.  I am a firm believer in not throwing parts/gears away that aren't chipped or broken and bearings that aren't froze up even if I just use them for mock-ups or fitting and it has paid off more times than not.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 9:29:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Caught this little gem off the I-10 freeway doing about 65 on the way home from work today.  Next to a CCV church soccer field.  Choice runs!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/7/2020 12:17:22 AM EDT
[#3]
So stopped by the local hobby shop and grabbed up ten 5x11x4mm sealed bearings to completely swap out all ten brass bushings in the front end, axle end to axle end.  While there and before packing with grease, I figured I'd snap a few pics showing how I locked the diff as explained above.

Taking her out tomorrow for testing but wow is the front much smoother!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Also swapped out the 35w oil in front shocks and filled the empty rears with this 20w all the way around...need to go get more bearings for rear so might get some 10w oil as it still feels a bit stiff.  Going to try 20w on rocks first. Never hurts to have some in a few weights on hand I guess.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 9:00:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Showed up at Tbird Conservation Park today about 7am and put a little time in.  Broke the servo after an our and a half, but flipped it over along with steering tie and back in action!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Sunday morning was nice and beautiful one up at Tbird Cons. Park as well.  Locker has her sticking to a lot more now.  Much more fun!  Got a new servo from my cousins upgrade/build and some metal servo mounts coming in so that's next on the table.  Get to try and destroy what is up front in this one now.  The servo posts are pretty much toast and loosen up regularly at battery intervals.  So technically, I should have had the servo mounts in the mail last week, but sat on them in my watch list.  Got a shipping notice they are on the way from WA today, however.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Scooby Doo and Shaggy?

View Quote

Ah man, R.I.P. Ken Spears.  Guess he passed Friday.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 12:59:02 PM EDT
[#7]
So after tearing up some big rocks with a new take-off Axial 35T and AE-5 ESC and now 2s & 3s Lipo, I completely broke my servo top and ripped out servo posts.  Cousin gave me his TRX-4 servo that was working great, he just upgraded to the better Traxxas servo.  I added the little longer Traxxas steel servo horn and some 20 minutes into a good run at White Tanks Park on Saturday, the steering over stroked and ripped the servo's metal mount tray right off the axle.  Basic geometry and limit settings on controller I just flat out forgot to double check.  Luckily I have a new in wrapped axle housing but I decided that before I swapped it just because of something dumb I did, I went ahead and used some clear epoxy and this bad boy is like it's welded after 36 hours of cure time I let it have!  Tested it out last night and something else is going to break before this ever does again.

I took out my esc as it was for a boat and sucked.  The motor was a pro lathe Integy 55T that was in it so I might switch back with this new esc, but liking the whip and get it this 35T is currently delivering actually.

I also added some Traxxas part #3645 rods and replaced the smaller diameter and ball ended ones I had and whoa!  Got wayyy more articulation that I can now actually use with my big 6" tires!  Trying to get out again this Saturday to an area we found after I broke and as we were leaving that yielded some great climbing for trx4.  Here's some pics of after curing set on epoxy.  No binding and can hang in space n it's own without flipping.  Front just tracks over everything now.  I used some 10w shock oil and swapped out the stock blue baja rey coils for my spare Proline grey coils in yellow and green paint markings.  Front/back.  That seemed to help greatly as well.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 1:01:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 4:28:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 4:31:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh and a pic of that servo patchwork I have done up to now.  Epoxy is holding up great!  Just slid the steering rods through some extra aviation fuel line for extra protection when I come in a bit hot.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Ha!  Was at a schools ball park drainage ditch yesterday and crawled across someone's model rocket and laughed at what was written on it!!  Strapped it to the back of Jeep body for rest of the run.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Glad to see the schools still teach history!
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 1:19:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Got the new Losi NCSE in the other day and worm drive is pretty sweet I must say!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 1:21:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Put the 1.9's in a box and slapped the 2.2's on and they seem to have their place.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 10:33:58 PM EDT
[#14]

That thing looks awesome.  Crazy flex, almost non-physical.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 10:51:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Thank you!  She is crazy flexible!  Taking to park in a couple hours to try out our spots.  Thanks to a great forum member BenP and some sweet black steelies he sent me, I picked up some new RC4WD Super Swamper 1.9 x 4.75" shoes yesterday and going to try this footprint before my Hot Racing 15mm wheel extensions arrive for this one next week.  Got some nice and ballasted action now!

Thanks again BenP!!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#16]
You bet my man!!

That looks really awesome!

And I agree 110% with the above poster about the crazy flex.  That's incredible.  

I'm seriously considering one for next season.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#17]
So, got the Bender back in action last night after receiving some new old stock in package upgraded(slightly thicker) Tamiya axles.  These new ones seem slightly more robust at area I broke and started twisting off on other side, lol.  This was on rear axle only and I think because the rear was only locked for so long they got a bit of heavy use.  Heck, somehow I even managed to obround the damn C-clips!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 10:54:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Here was the break.  I basically just jumped on ebay after I broke, bought every Tamiya 9804177 A&B axles set I could find from GB to Australia to LA, CA.  So I have five extra sets/pairs, us this 6th new set I just installed in rear axle housing.  Got spares now!  Break away!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 10:58:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Got some cruddy cellphone stills last night but will try for some video later today.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 12:13:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Some pics from the local park last weekend I think.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 12:22:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh yeah, got some 2.2 Chinese DJX brand "beedrocks" in the other day off ebay too.  Not bad for $40 bucks shipped.  Going to get some soft foam inserts for my Axial Rock Lizard tires here instead of these mediums today and get em swapped over for some trial runs if my 12mm Hot Racing hub extensions arrive today.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Kind of started something something rock trackish in my backyard.  Will definitely improve and develop along the way.  But here is the first stretch so far and I already have ideas to alter it before long.  I think it will be going a bit away from momma's request to.... "keep it looking like part of the yard."

And actually crossing bridge section on way back, ha!

Link Posted: 12/12/2020 2:57:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Geesh it's a bit cool out.  Got a run in earlier and this little project is really only so I can try new setups without going all the way to the park then wrench for hour or so while there.  I am tossing around idea of making a climbing section or are in different section of yard for those tire/suspension setups.  The Bender Jeep takes up more room and has less turning capability than the NH.  That one spoils you.  This one a bit more like walking a bison down a house hallway and turning around.  I guess I could always setup the rear steering though if I wanted, just figured it would be more stuff to break faster than solidly setting up the rear.

Link Posted: 12/12/2020 4:39:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Having a course at home is awesome for test and tuning.  Looks great!

Great description of the Bison walking down the hallway!
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 1:50:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Lol, it's no joke either!  I put the bigger 6" Maxxis tires back on this morning and it just bounces over everything but need waayyy more track for it for certain. Next week's fun.

Back onto the NCSE....

Here are a couple shots of the new aluminum rims all mounted up to the Rock Lizards.  Spacers still in usps limbo with about 6 other items and she rubs slightly so will be patient till next week when hopefully they arrive and I can get this setup out there.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 2:33:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 5:51:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Little backyard testing site is growing slightly bigger each day, lol.  Got a couple weeks off work coming up for Holidays so will be farting around with it a bit more.  Trying to make the area in lower portion of pic more like a hill of rocks so thats going to progress a bit slower as I fill in till I reach ht. I want then hit with weed whacker to clean edges up!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 2:03:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Evolving.

Attachment Attached File

And trying to put in some elevation changes here and there, too.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 9:06:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Added the last load of rocks for a couple weeks and shot some video of a quick run since my hub extensions came in.  I might break down and go for some more rocks while on vacation...maybe.

Link Posted: 12/19/2020 3:41:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Some shots while sipping coffee this morning in daylight with the Bender on the lil rock hill.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 5:28:38 PM EDT
[#31]
And a quick two part set of vids showing the Bender running it in both directions.

Link Posted: 12/21/2020 10:33:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Strapped the gopro on the hood and got some Shagg n Scoob views of the course.  Why not, lol.

Link Posted: 12/21/2020 8:48:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Your course looks really good!!!

Sooooooooo many different lines.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 11:37:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Thank you!

Like we were chatting about earlier today, here is what this little trainer trail has done.  It was showing still weak areas in the steering links.  Today, bent the smaller diameter link encased in fuel tube and toed the front wheels in right away.  A buddy at work had given me a Nitro Tmaxx chassis with quite a few usable/salvageable parts.  Some of which were the two front steering links that were much bigger in diameter and were same dim, center to center and a Savox TG high speed servo.  Lost the nasty creaking from the old link, too.  Win, win, win.  Saved a few bucks and re-purposed before I tossed the rest of the chassis in the track as a hazard.  Threw a bunch of other parts I am scattering around the course, too.  Probably get some pics or another gopro vid to see how they all show up.  Bunch of broken axles, driveshafts, bent shocks and tires/rims for now.  Burnt up the Traxxas servo I had so using a spare Spektrum again and I miss having decent steering, or at least faster/stronger.  You and I have talked though and I know what I need to do, just keep going through these free servos first, lol!

Here's today's damage/fix and parts find/salvage:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Merry Christmas!

Started getting bored of the 2x4 bridges, so dressing them up with some trimmings.  May add a wider section at the other end for different lines crossing it.  Then off to the other few 2x4 croasings for the same kind of treatment.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/28/2020 12:08:01 PM EDT
[#36]
I’ve been running Traxxas Slash trucks around the yard with my kids for the past year or so, and we’ve been having a blast.   Planning on building a dirt track in the spring to have races with the neighbors kids.  This post has me thinking of getting a crawler, and putting the pile of rocks in the corner of our yard to use
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I’ve been running Traxxas Slash trucks around the yard with my kids for the past year or so, and we’ve been having a blast.   Planning on building a dirt track in the spring to have races with the neighbors kids.  This post has me thinking of getting a crawler, and putting the pile of rocks in the corner of our yard to use
View Quote

That's the model my cousin has two of, the Slash 4x4 and what got my wheels turning again to begin with.  Super tough and fast trucks.

Kind of couldn't go wrong with all this free rock and a bunch more I'll be adding bit with a bit more traction.  Figured if it didn't work out, I could distribute throughout yard with no issues.  A guy with more time, tools, money, help and imagination could do much worse than I, lol!  I think you'd like the results in your case.

Also found a $10 Vaterra Suburban top with light buckets day after Xmas with a proline roof rack/light bar mount and weights glued up front locally and figured I'd post some pics of the old school look now.  I added some stickers, modified a steering link for a Losi as a rear bumper, the tow rope and of course a skeleton, or could be a scaleton, ha!

Finally the Spektrum servi became so slow, it was like a half second delay and no good on fast reactions.  So put in a simple but effective for this project Traxxas 2255 400 and its so much better for reactions and climbing even!  Sometimes squeezing all the juice from a lemon is unnecessary.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 10:45:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Couple bridge runs at night tonight with front lights mounted back on the chassis with new body.  Bright enough and projects a bit better than Jeep body did with clearances I had to work with.

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:38:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Well, once again Arfcom cost me money.   Picked this guy up today after reading this thread

Attachment Attached File

Axial SCX10II

Link Posted: 12/30/2020 10:58:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Well, once again Arfcom cost me money.   Picked this guy up today after reading this thread

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/119774/D0FE3B69-B968-4BE5-B1A3-AB157BF8E508_jpe-1755987.JPG

Axial SCX10II

View Quote

Well heck yeah!  And already got dirt on the tires!  Way to go!  I'm digging the Hella style lights.  I'm going back and forth but think the ones like yours may fit the look on my Suburban body over the standard lightbars.

Looking good!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 12:31:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Ok, I got impatient yesterday and wanted lights so I just put a RC4WD Stealth bar on 2s in the roof rack yesterday. Actually not too bad, but still want the round, old school looking ones but no one local had the kit I want.  So, lightbar it is for now!

I like how the rack protects the bar as I rolled a few times last night and it didn't change angle or scuff it up.  Kind of like the poster's roof rack a couple up, too.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 6:31:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Well heck yeah!  And already got dirt on the tires!  Way to go!  I'm digging the Hella style lights.  I'm going back and forth but think the ones like yours may fit the look on my Suburban body over the standard lightbars.

Looking good!!
View Quote

Got it used, so the tires were pre-dirtied for me
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:46:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Well, that's still good it's a proven rig then!  Alright, time to get on building you a little test run area, or better in the back!

Got some chunks of a bit more grabby rock today to close the course loop and added another hill climb section with the stuff, too.

BenP hooked my cousin up with some nice aluminum rear shock towers so we put those on and his light kit installed last night.  Did some runs today with the additional rocks added this afternoon.  TRX4's just get it.  Thanks again Ben!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 4:32:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Ok, I got impatient yesterday and wanted lights so I just put a RC4WD Stealth bar on 2s in the roof rack yesterday. Actually not too bad, but still want the round, old school looking ones but no one local had the kit I want.  So, lightbar it is for now!

I like how the rack protects the bar as I rolled a few times last night and it didn't change angle or scuff it up.  Kind of like the poster's roof rack a couple up, too.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/228253/20201231_214058_jpg-1758558.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/228253/20201231_214730_jpg-1758559.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/228253/20201231_214509_jpg-1758561.JPG
View Quote

I love the look of the rack that came with the Cherokee, but it’s metal, and puts a lot of weight up high on the truck.   I can climb a lot more without the body on than with.   Might have to lose the rack
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:59:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Mine is metal, too.  Definitely a lot more weight.  I also notice mine climbs much better with no body at all.  Just looks kind of lame and I get bored of looking at it like that if that makes any sense.

Well, msg me if your looking to lose the rack.  I like how it looks and don't mind the extra weight.  I have that 4-door wrangler body still new unpainted and would throw another metal rack in the mix on it.

I just picked up a new/unused Proline rear rollcage system yesterday for $20 locally and looking at the 1972 Vaterra K10 front cab section to bolt up to it.  Once painted, it should be a cool top combo.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:33:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Mine is metal, too.  Definitely a lot more weight.  I also notice mine climbs much better with no body at all.  Just looks kind of lame and I get bored of looking at it like that if that makes any sense.

Well, msg me if your looking to lose the rack.  I like how it looks and don't mind the extra weight.  I have that 4-door wrangler body still new unpainted and would throw another metal rack in the mix on it.

I just picked up a new/unused Proline rear rollcage system yesterday for $20 locally and looking at the 1972 Vaterra K10 front cab section to bolt up to it.  Once painted, it should be a cool top combo.
View Quote

Thinking of painting up a new body, and keeping this one to change things up once in a while.  Trying to find a unimog body, but none locally so far

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:57:11 AM EDT
[#47]
True.  The more bodies I get collected up, the more I like all the different options as well.  Always have to change body mounts around a little but a small price to pay for the feeling of a "new" rig anytime.

I like that Unimog Axial body, too.  In fact, it got me thinking of a diesel truck tractor cab and the roll cage part I just got as a combo, too.  Then I can just swap the cage from K10 body to tractor cab body.  Here's the Proline model 6322 I just got, without the accoutrements shown here in pic.  Looking for that stuff next.  I have a spare tire/rim already.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:49:04 AM EDT
[#48]
I keep reading your posts and looking at your pictures and saying ....dont buy a rock crawler, dont buy a rock crawler....

The wife will kill me if I end up with more toys.

My daughter and I did drive our Arrma out at my buddies farm.  It was muddy as hell and we had some awesome full speed smashes, flips, and crashes.  I was shocked we still havent broken anything.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:14:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Ha-ha!  Soooo, what I am reading in your first part is, "more pics....more pics!"

I know how it goes.  I got the "look" when she saw the Nightcrawler and realized it was another one.  Then she saw how much I got it for vs retail and said, "You got lucky this time."  I said, "What, it's not like I bought another TJ or JK and brought it home!"  So there is a safe way to do this little crawler hobby stuff. Ya just got to be an opportunist, patient or stupid-lucky.  I was the stupid part this time as usual.

I have been hoping for some good rain so we can try some nearby washes and areas that muddy up real good around here with all the new building.  It is always a great time when you can run and no breaks!  I was thinking of digging in the center of my test course to integrate a mud-zone, but not sure yet with the dogs and all.  One already takes my sticks off my bridge and runs off with them, the other drops his ball in front of our rigs constantly on the course.  So if I do the mud thing and I have a feeling they will want to show me what mud looks like on the inside of my house, too.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:16:38 AM EDT
[#50]
I do keep my eye out on Facebook and some of the boards.  If I find a decent local deal I might pick something else up.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top