Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/27/2022 1:25:50 PM EDT
https://www.yahoo.com/news/worlds-largest-cargo-aircraft-destroyed-162948202.html

Cargo plane Anotov AN-225 Mriya was destroyed, according to Ukraine's minister of foreign affairs.

A defense reporter for the Kyiv Independent made similar comments on Sunday.

US-funded media Radio Liberty posted a picture purporting to show the plane in flames.

The world's largest cargo aircraft, the An-225 Mriya, has been destroyed during a Russian attack, according to Ukraine's minister of foreign affairs, Dmytro Kuleba.

Kuleba tweeted on Sunday: "Russia may have destroyed our 'Mriya'. But they will never be able to destroy our dream of a strong, free and democratic European state."

"We shall prevail!" he added.

The plane was based at the Antonov Airport – also known as Hostomel Airport – according to Scottish publication The Herald. The paper reported Thursday that the airfield was struck by missiles prior to the attack.

On the same day, Aviation24.be published a report saying a source had confirmed the aircraft was in Georgia.

Insider was not able to independently verify either publication's claims.

However, Illia Ponomarenko, a defense reporter for the Kyiv Independent, said on Sunday that the aircraft was ruined "amid a Russian attack."

And the US-funded media Radio Liberty shared a satellite picture purporting to show the aircraft in flames.

The aircraft, which first took off in 1988, was used to transport large amounts of humanitarian aid around the world, especially at short notice. It was also used to transfer the Soviet spacecraft.

Russian flights have been banned from many European countries as part of the sanctions imposed by the EU and the US, as Insider reported.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/27/2022 1:27:48 PM EDT
[#1]
This is utterly devastating if you're into planes. Nobody can even build another one anymore.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 1:28:57 PM EDT
[#2]
It was destroyed.

It wasn't destroyed.

This changes every minute.

Which is it?
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 1:29:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Has this actually been confirmed? Been hearing rumors.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 1:31:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Has this actually been confirmed? Been hearing rumors.
View Quote

Their transportation minister said damaged. Not destroyed. And that they intend to repair it.

Until I see photos of it destroyed I’m not buying into the statement that it was destroyed.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#5]
It was just a little bit destroyed.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 1:35:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This is utterly devastating if you're into planes. Nobody can even build another one anymore.
View Quote

Why can’t they build another one? We are living in the most technologically advanced time in history.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 1:37:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Why can’t they build another one? We are living in the most technologically advanced time in history.
View Quote

It's probably more like "no one would find it profitable to build another one" with one off tooling, the sheer size of it and material costs relative to sale price or profit margins.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 1:37:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It was destroyed.

It wasn't destroyed.

Which is it?
View Quote

It got better.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 1:39:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
There is a huge difference between "can't" and "not going to".
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 1:41:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 1:42:08 PM EDT
[#11]
They should have flown it out of there like they do before a hurricane.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#12]
If you don't want your giant cargo plane destroyed,
maybe you should move it out of country
before the Russians decide to visit
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 1:46:21 PM EDT
[#13]
They should have flew that thing to Poland when this first started.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 1:56:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Mostly peacefully destroyed.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#15]
They had weeks to prep the plane and collect fuel.

WTF
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 2:08:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Little bit of minor, peaceful, fireyish, destruction adjacent.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 2:28:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Build it back better?
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 2:32:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 3:22:39 PM EDT
[#19]
It would be a shame if it's severely damaged or destroyed but why in the world didn't they move it???
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 3:26:28 PM EDT
[#20]
So the cost to ship something that can only be flown using that airplane just went from (insert expensive price), to (whatever it costs to get a new super large plane into production, or make shit smaller).
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#21]
What is the insurance policy terms and payout?
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 3:32:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Air and Space magazine article on the AN-225 from last year:
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/air-space-magazine/dream-big-180977305/
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 3:34:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Everyone keeps saying it was destroyed but they’re not showing the pictures.

The only picture I’ve seen is a picture of a screen showing a burning hangar…or it could be a laundromat.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 3:37:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Everyone keeps saying it was destroyed but they're not showing the pictures.

The only picture I've seen is a picture of a screen showing a burning hangaror it could be a laundromat.
View Quote
or a video game
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 3:37:26 PM EDT
[#25]
That’s a real loss to aviation.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's no way to make it pay.  IIRC they weren't even making much on the existing one after having essentially inherited it for nothing from the USSR.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 3:39:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So the cost to ship something that can only be flown using that airplane just went from (insert expensive price), to (whatever it costs to get a new super large plane into production, or make shit smaller).
View Quote

Eh.. Cost for the load just went from "holy shit HOW MUCH?" to "No."
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 3:40:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Down for maintenance, it's been flying a lot for the past few years. Big thing is what does the rest of the plant look like?
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 3:43:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/worlds-largest-cargo-aircraft-destroyed-162948202.html

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/jtG2uf2XOWqvVRLnKjdEeg--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTk2MDtoPTcyMDtjZj13ZWJw/https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/7xHYCrQTdOQl7WqMfRElBw--~B/aD0yNzk0O3c9MzcyNTthcHBpZD15dGFjaHlvbg--/https://media.zenfs.com/en/business_insider_articles_888/50a8b66a8833f16b42072dec1b542446

Cargo plane Anotov AN-225 Mriya was destroyed, according to Ukraine's minister of foreign affairs.

A defense reporter for the Kyiv Independent made similar comments on Sunday.

US-funded media Radio Liberty posted a picture purporting to show the plane in flames.

The world's largest cargo aircraft, the An-225 Mriya, has been destroyed during a Russian attack, according to Ukraine's minister of foreign affairs, Dmytro Kuleba.

Kuleba tweeted on Sunday: "Russia may have destroyed our 'Mriya'. But they will never be able to destroy our dream of a strong, free and democratic European state."

"We shall prevail!" he added.

The plane was based at the Antonov Airport  also known as Hostomel Airport  according to Scottish publication The Herald. The paper reported Thursday that the airfield was struck by missiles prior to the attack.

On the same day, Aviation24.be published a report saying a source had confirmed the aircraft was in Georgia.

Insider was not able to independently verify either publication's claims.

However, Illia Ponomarenko, a defense reporter for the Kyiv Independent, said on Sunday that the aircraft was ruined "amid a Russian attack."

And the US-funded media Radio Liberty shared a satellite picture purporting to show the aircraft in flames.

The aircraft, which first took off in 1988, was used to transport large amounts of humanitarian aid around the world, especially at short notice. It was also used to transfer the Soviet spacecraft.

Russian flights have been banned from many European countries as part of the sanctions imposed by the EU and the US, as Insider reported.
View Quote

View Quote
Wow the largest after only having the title for 1 day.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 3:46:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Was it not possible to move before all this?
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 3:49:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
They should have flown it out of there like they do before a hurricane.
View Quote
Can't fly it is being retrofitted.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 3:50:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

If it's not profitable to build another one (like everyone is saying) how profitable (or not) has it been to build/keep this one?

But insurance probably doesn't pay war damage
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 3:53:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If it's not profitable to build another one (like everyone is saying) how profitable (or not) has it been to build/keep this one?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was built for the Soviet space program, when prestige rather than profit was the motive.  It never would have been built as a commercial venture.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 3:57:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Now they'll be no remake of "2012".
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 3:59:12 PM EDT
[#36]

Nope on lotsa big and heavy stuff like locomotives/gas turbines. AN-124s were built at the same place.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 4:00:44 PM EDT
[#37]
I can’t even remember which airport I saw it at but the Russian Antonov that I saw was an incredible sight to see.

ETA: it was Minneapolis
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 4:14:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 4:16:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It got better.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It was destroyed.

It wasn't destroyed.

Which is it?

It got better.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/27/2022 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#40]
It hauled in at least one of the Tesla Giga Presses from Italy to the Tesla factory in Austin.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 4:18:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

After the Haitian earthquake in mid 20teens they flew through Fairbanks, I believe they had 6 , d8 cat dozers on it going to help.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 4:19:10 PM EDT
[#42]
I love aircraft, but I'm not getting the serious concern here.  If it got blowed up, it got blowed up.  It's not like they attacked the Smithsonian and destroyed the Spirit of St. Louis or the Wright Flyer.

A little bit of a shame, yes.  As far as moving it before this conflict, I'll bet that's easier said than done, and that's assuming it wasn't in some condition of service or repair.  I worked in aviation for a bit as a young man, and I can't imagine the logistics for service and flight operations even under ideal conditions for that behemoth.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 4:22:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 4:28:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I love aircraft, but I'm not getting the serious concern here.  If it got blowed up, it got blowed up.  It's not like they attacked the Smithsonian and destroyed the Spirit of St. Louis or the Wright Flyer.

A little bit of a shame, yes.  As far as moving it before this conflict, I'll bet that's easier said than done, and that's assuming it wasn't in some condition of service or repair.  I worked in aviation for a bit as a young man, and I can't imagine the logistics for service and flight operations even under ideal conditions for that behemoth.
View Quote

Except for the C5, there aren't too many aircraft with the capability of the -124/225.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 4:39:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Antonov has had a partially completed one for decades that they determined was not worth completing at a cost of $450M. If the original was in fact, completely destroyed, I'll be curious to see if they finish building it.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 4:45:03 PM EDT
[#46]
I saw a AN124 in Baghdad. Can't imagine how big the 225 is, err, was.

Link Posted: 2/27/2022 5:31:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/27/2022 5:33:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Haven’t even WE the us contracted those planes to move .mil shit in the past ?
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, we have.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 6:23:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

MAR 7, 2011
The Antonov An-225 touched down at Camp Bastion, Afghanistan, March 7.
The largest and heaviest aircraft in the world, the one-of-a-kind An-225 is currently operated by Ukraine’s Antonov Airlines and contracted to carry large cargo and supplies around the world.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top