Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I run a jail, I don't worry about them, it is the one crazy motherfucker walking among us I worry about
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Not a state prison, hell not even a county jail.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 7:19:47 PM EDT
[#3]
You also gotta consider that if you live near a prison, there's likely to be Corrections Officers living in the area.  Only guys you'll ever see buying cell phones five at a time and looking for the model with the smoothest corners.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 7:20:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#5]
We live about a mile from the big house.  Only one inmate haa escaped in its history and he was found a few yards away, hugging a tree.  He hadn't seen a tree in 30 years.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 7:31:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 7:31:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I run a jail, I don't worry about them, it is the one crazy motherfucker walking among us I worry about
View Quote
This.

I would live next to one without issue.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 7:42:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This is a pro Leo website mister!
View Quote
I'm a Capricorn.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 7:45:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I used to own a house for a warden of a jail.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
All depends as to whether I can sell the prisoners cigarettes and alcohol through the fence for cash.
View Quote
Detroit used to have (They use them for different things now) two state prisons right in the middle of residential neighborhoods. Like the fence went to the sidewalk and there were houses across the street. Great plan.

There was an area under construction that had a breach in the fence. Inmates were going through the hole, visiting the liquor store in the neighborhood, and going back to prison.

They had a prison break where somebody walked up and lofted a shotgun over the fence to a waiting inmate. Ah, that Detroit efficiency.

https://www.nytimes.com/1994/08/23/us/5-escaped-prisoners-sought-in-detroit.html
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 7:55:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I worked hard my entire life and I invested carefully just so I don’t have to live anywhere near a prison.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I live in New Jersey. It IS a fucking prison.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
jail is worse IMO. People are coming and going constantly, usually when people are released from jail they just open the door and let you out. It's a little different for a prison generally, someone is usually there to pick them up or the prison drops them off at a bus station.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A jail yes a prison no
jail is worse IMO. People are coming and going constantly, usually when people are released from jail they just open the door and let you out. It's a little different for a prison generally, someone is usually there to pick them up or the prison drops them off at a bus station.
You are probably right. The only prison experience I have is when my mom went there.

The day she got out I was drunk.

On the way to go get her in my truck she was killed by a train.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 8:14:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I used to live near one in Oklahoma, no issues from the inmates.

The problem is their family, though. They tend to move close so they can visit regularly which doesn’t do much for the local culture.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You are probably right. The only prison experience I have is when my mom went there.

View Quote
That was a rainy day, IIRC.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 11:38:19 PM EDT
[#18]
... live about 35 miles, as a crow flies, to one of the largest federal prisons in the country
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 11:50:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I work in one everyday.....but I live an hour away
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 11:51:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I used to live near a max security in upstate NY.  Never had any issues.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 11:53:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My wife and I looked at a house once that I was going to get for a steal. The owners were just divorced, the place was a mess, just the kind of house a man who buys Indian hatchets is looking for.

wife: "What's that way over there?"
me: "Huh who knows, hey look it comes with a mailbox"
realtor: "oh that's Arkham Asylum"
me: "fuck"
wife: "let's go"

I saw a max prison recently that had houses (mostly abandoned now) that were just down the hill from the prison walls. I assume the warden and his top henchmen got to stay there for free? One appeared to still be occupied.
View Quote
Prisons usually have state housing attached nearby for officers.

There's nothing to worry about, if someone escapes, they want to get as far away as they can as quickly as they can, they're not going to screw with your property.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 11:54:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Did it in Airway Heights, WA. Was never an issue
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 11:57:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Used to help out in the jail here.  No problems for me.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 11:58:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Lived a mile and a half from Macomb County Jail.

ETA: AND now that I think about it, I now live a mile and a half from Washtenaw County Jail
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 11:58:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeah I would, especially a cool looking place like Waupon(where my grandpa served his 6 year sentence ).

The only problem with living near Waupon Correctional is it's in the middle of town, fuck living in town, and you get all the shitbag inmate families moving into the area to be close to their shitbag inmate family members.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 12:05:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Wouldn't be my preferred location to live
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 3:42:22 AM EDT
[#27]
If you are within sight of it....they aren't stopping at your house...they are going to keep on going.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 4:19:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Not a problem.

I have a city and county jail about 2 miles away, and Arizona State prison including death row and SMU about a mile away.

Never bothered us, heck when they’d have an escape a lot of the locals would load up their coolers and rifle racks and make a party of it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 4:21:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
We lived outside of town but I went to elementary, middle and high school in Florence AZ in the 90’s
Prison town USA is what we called it then.
View Quote
@2005cbr1000rr Probably went to school with my wife’s brothers.

Heck, I probably met you.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 4:32:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

@2005cbr1000rr Probably went to school with my wife’s brothers.

Heck, I probably met you.
View Quote
Very possible. It was an even smaller town back then.
I haven’t been around there in close to 20 years now.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 4:35:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

Hell, the closer the better.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 4:37:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
County jail is about 3 miles from my house
View Quote
Three miles is fine.  I wouldn't want it closer than a mile, mile-and-a-half, though.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 4:46:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm not worried about escapees.  I dont want their families and other trash near my house.
View Quote
This.  And most do eventually walk out on parole and such.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 5:25:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Nope.

Trash is burned, or dumped far away.

Trash draws flies.

Half the traffic going towards any prison or jail, could be shotgunned with #6's and not a single pellet would hit anything but a defective.
The same holds for the community around any prison or Jail.

It's no accident that most rural counties, have their Jail right next to the courthouse, and in the county seat.
Folks like thier garbage in neat piles, political, and otherwise, where it can be managed safely, and at a distance.

Dipshits buy houses near airports and prisons, then bitch about their choices.

Just sayin...
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 5:28:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Come to think of it, yes it was
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top