Page / 9
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 7:59:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Good org.  Here..

http://www.team-x-treme.org/#/home/4553127912
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:01:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Maybe they should ask the wounded warriors if they approve of this BS!

Because they are not important. What is important is that celebrities get their photo ops.  That is why we have wounded warriors after all, duh.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:09:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess things are changing, they were part of the Silencer Shoot years ago had a OIF vet who was blinded speak there, and shoot, and managed to raise close to 100k one of the years.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:10:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I was actually kind of surprised. Guess this has been going on for some time.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:15:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Sad and bullshit. I will not give them my money ever again. Sad thing is I know a couple guys who have benefited from WWF but not to the level they should be getting.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:18:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Is the goal of the charity to help wounded veterans or to placate your personal beliefs?
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:20:32 PM EDT
[#7]
They didn't mind taking procedes from Trijicon retail sales either...

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/community/whats_new_archived_item.php?whats_newID=news_51

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:23:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I already wasn't a fan due to their overhead costs.  

What does their overhead run, percentage wise?

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:25:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Wounded Warrior Project Email Exchange
by Gun Talk on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 9:56am ·

After Sunday's show, we've gotten many emails about Tom's remarks after WWP declined an interview request on Gun Talk Radio because it's a firearms-related show. We've also seen the forums that are suggesting many things that are not true. So, I'm going to lay it all out right here.

We thought it would be great to book the WWP on the Veteran's Day show to promote the organization, so I contacted them. I was flabbergasted when their PR contact, Leslie, sent me an email saying they could not participate because our show dealt with firearms. Knowing that WWP has a booth at SHOT show and various gun shows across the US, takes wounded warriors on hunts and range days, raffles guns and accessories as fundraisers, etc., their policy didn't make much sense. I forwarded the email on to Tom to get his take.

-Sarah

The following is the complete email exchange:

====================

Hello, Leslie:

Sarah forwarded me your email after I asked her to invite the Wounded Warriors Project to join me on "Tom Gresham's Gun Talk" radio show.

I'm stunned at your email saying that the WWP doesn't participate in an interview or activity related to firearms. Inasmuch as there are 90 million gun owners and most of them support wounded veterans, I think they would be shocked to hear that they are, by way of their hobbies, somehow not worthy of helping with the Wounded Warriors Project.

Does your policy apply also to police agencies and the military, since they are "related to firearms?"

I'm hoping that we have misunderstood your email. Can you confirm that it is, in fact, an official policy of the Wounded Warriors Project to not do interviews with or participate in any activity related to firearms?

Thank you.

Tom Gresham

============

Good afternoon ––

While we appreciate your interest in Wounded Warrior Project® (WWP) you are correct that we decline the media opportunity.

Please note the following notice that appears on our website which also applies to WWP public awareness policy and inquiries from media outlets:

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/additional-opportunities.aspx

WWP does not co-brand, create cause marketing campaigns or receive a percentage or a portion of proceeds from companies in which the product or message is sexual, political or religious in nature, or from alcohol or firearms companies.

Thank you for your inquiry.

LESLIE A. COLEMAN

public relations director

O: 904.405.1433

M: 904.654.8138

F: 904.296.7347

Wounded Warrior Project

4899 Belfort Road, Suite 300

Jacksonville, Florida 32256

====================

Thanks for confirming that, Leslie. It was a simple opportunity to promote the WWP on a national program in an effort to send donations your way.

I'll pass along the info that you don't want or need the help of America's gun owners.

Best regards,

Tom Gresham

=====================

Good morning ––

This policy is not a judgment on those who own and use firearms – clearly every member of our armed forces has been trained in the use of firearms and then called on to use them in the course of their service to this country.

Our position regarding firearms and alcohol is in response to the struggles that many injured service members face with substance abuse and suicide and the roles those items often play in those issues.

Thank you.

LESLIE A. COLEMAN

public relations director

=============================

Hello, Leslie:

Thank you for that explanation.

I do think –– and I'm being as kind as possible –– that it's the nuttiest thing I've heard in years. Suicides are not linked to firearms. Japan has a much higher rate of suicide than does the U.S., and they have essentially no firearms. Suicide is a serious issue irrespective of the methodology used.

This explanation doesn't pass even the most simple "does this make sense" test.

Your policy does, in fact, brand firearms and the companies which make them as undesirables, and by association, you are saying that those who own and use firearms for recreation, hunting, self protection, and other safe and legal uses are to be avoided.

It's certainly your option to ostracize the firearms industry, the 90 million gun owners in America, and the media which support firearms safety training.

At this point, I feel an obligation to make sure the millions who listen to my radio show and watch my two national television series know about your policy.

I cannot fully express how much I feel you are doing a disservice to our wounded veterans, and how disappointed I am to discover this bias at the Wounded Warriors Project.

Sincerely,

Tom Gresham
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:26:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Quoted:

82.8% is not overhead according to WWP, 55% to program expenses and 44.8% to fund raising and admin. according to Charity Navigator.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:27:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Official: Thunder Ranch will no longer be doing any fundraising for Wounded Warrior. This due to the main reason is they will do not want support from the guns period because guns are used by our military to kill themselves. What do they save themselves with? Nerf guns? Also the fact that very little of our money is actually getting to the families that need them. We will find charities in the coming months to help us all give but for now all money raised with our current DVD sale will go to our Seal team family... the Reece Petersen Trust fund. Thank you as always for your support. We will continue to do the best job we can to put as much money as we can to helping our military. Clint and Heidi

On Thunder Ranch Facebook page.

There is a new group being formed called Combat Warriors,Inc. They set up hunting/fishing trips for veterans/active duty who have been to combat. No need to have been wounded. They are VERY 2A friendly ( lots of suppressed weapons). They are very good dudes, as far as I can tell so far. Lot's of older era guys involved, as well as some more recently retired guys.  I just went hunting with them this past weekend. Right now, they are mostly involved in Eastern NC/ Southern VA because of the amount of vets/ active duty, but have plans to expand as able.

Fantastic group of guys and gals.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I read about that here  

+1

Last I checked, it was spending only about 60% of donated funds on programs. The rest went to salaries, overhead, fundraising, etc.

My wife was in fundraising and she told me that anything more than 30% on overhead and expenses was a poorly run non-profit.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is the goal of the charity to help wounded veterans or to placate your personal beliefs?

You are quite correct, however, now that WW has been accepted by the glitterati as a cause célèbre, the actual WW have been taking a back seat around here.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:30:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

At 55% throughput, it seems they may be about doing well instead of doing good.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:30:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:30:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

82.8% according to WWP, 55% to program expenses and 44.8% to fund raising and admin. according to Charity Navigator.

their offices in Jacksonville, FL really don't say "non-profit"

I would like to pressure them out of this stance. It's fucking retarded. their goal should be to raise the most possible
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I give to Gary Sinise' charity... The gary sinise foundation.  The man is a patriot.

Much better than WWP.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:32:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

At 55% throughput, it seems they may be about doing well instead of doing good.  

I think Fisher House is a much better run charity, but more to my point I well and truly don't care if a veteran's org has a silly rule against gun advertising.

Anti 2nd amendment? Hardly.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Official: Thunder Ranch will no longer be doing any fundraising for Wounded Warrior. This due to the main reason is they will do not want support from the guns period because guns are used by our military to kill themselves. What do they save themselves with? Nerf guns? Also the fact that very little of our money is actually getting to the families that need them. We will find charities in the coming months to help us all give but for now all money raised with our current DVD sale will go to our Seal team family... the Reece Petersen Trust fund. Thank you as always for your support. We will continue to do the best job we can to put as much money as we can to helping our military. Clint and Heidi

Why are y'all still giving to the WWP?  It's gone Susan g komen miss a biz
Give to Special operations warrior foundation.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Unbelievable.   Like many here, I've donated several times to WWP and find this to be a completely irrational policy.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:33:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Truly sad.

Just find another charity for veterans boys and girls. We have a local one that just built a house for a wounded warrior. Stack your money there.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:34:02 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

82.8% according to WWP, 55% to program expenses and 44.8% to fund raising and admin. according to Charity Navigator.

I was assuming that the 55% program expenses was the money that was going to vets and that their overhead was 45%, am I reading that wrong?

17.2% throughput is fucking criminal if I am reading it incorrectly.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:34:44 PM EDT
[#23]
60% throughput jives with what I've heard before.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:35:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

their offices in Jacksonville, FL really don't say "non-profit"

I would like to pressure them out of this stance. It's fucking retarded. their goal should be to raise the most possible

Non-profit is a tax issue, not a revenue generation issue.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:36:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

My club just hosted a WW shoot. They came in a WW bus and shot the place up with all kinds of reactive targets.

We host several hunts a year for WW's. Many have never been deer hunting and most are thrilled just to sit in a stand for a few hours and relax. We even have ground blinds with ramps for wheelchairs etc. Matter a fact I got a thank you for my lobby last week from Ft Gordon for helping out with the project. IIRC the WWP logo is even on it.

I don't really care who runs it as long as they get the guys up here and they have a good time we will continue to have them.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was assuming that the 55% program expenses was the money that was going to vets and that their overhead was 45%, am I reading that wrong?  

The 82.8% is the amount WWP claims to give out to vets. I have edited my original to make sure that is clarified.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Huh.

There aren't many charities out there I care for, and they were on a short list. I guess the list just got shorter.

This genuinely makes me sad, because the basic premise of their charity is an EXCELLENT idea.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:38:40 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The 82.8% is the amount WWP claims to give out to vets. I have edited my original to make sure that is clarified.

That would be excellent in that case and model to be emulated. 17.2% costs with over 80% throughput is excellent.

Which is it?
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:39:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I heard Tom Gresham say essentially the same thing on Gun Talk this weekend.

We're on the auto plan, but probably will find another way to give.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:39:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Truly sad.

Just find another charity for veterans boys and girls. We have a local one that just built a house for a wounded warrior. Stack your money there.

Hey Semper Fi fund, enjoy the $260 a year that I was giving to WWP. Good thing I hadn't done my CFC pledge sheet yet.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:40:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:41:15 PM EDT
[#32]
And I just gave $100 for the raffle. Very pissed at WW
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:42:27 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
That would be excellent in that case and model to be emulated. 17.2% costs with over 80% throughput is excellent.  

Which is it?

82.8% goes to vets according to WWP, 55% goes to program expenses and 44.8% goes to fund raising and admin. according to Charity Navigator. The two may not be mutually exclusive depending how you consider certain expenditures.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:44:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Back to primarily donating to Fisher house then....

This sucks as we had put wwp as a "make donations to" at my father's funeral 10 days ago.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:44:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Which is it?

82.8% goes to vets according to WWP, 55% goes to program expenses and 44.8% goes to fund raising and admin. according to Charity Navigator. The two may not be mutually exclusive depending how you consider certain expenditures.

Uh, no.

REVENUE
Total Contributions$70,145,724
  Program Service Revenue$0
Total Primary Revenue$70,145,724
  Other Revenue$3,912,624
TOTAL REVENUE$74,058,348

EXPENSES
  Program Expenses$31,782,076
  Administrative Expenses$4,669,208
  Fundraising Expenses$21,306,030
TOTAL FUNCTIONAL EXPENSES$57,757,314

Payments to Affiliates$0
Excess (or Deficit) for the year$16,301,034

Net Assets$30,357,444
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
$31mil out of $74mil went to veterans.

$16mil stayed in the bank.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:44:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Wow, another Recoil magazine moment....

How ironic in every sense... They even accepted money from LaRue Tactical(a gun Co.) for recoils anti 2nd amendment comments.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1364300_Recoil_Magazine_is_Anti_Gun_Apparently_UPDATE__TSAI_RESIGNED_.html&page=37
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:45:41 PM EDT
[#37]

Other ones are
Semper fi fund (some of you marines might remember gen al gray, he heads up sff)
Wounded warrior regiment (actual marine corps unit dedicated to marine and fmf naval wii)
Aw2 (army wounded warrior)
Navy safe harbor

Wwp went full retard awhile ago.  They even have batteries of lawyers who go after anyone who uses "wounded warrior" while engaged in charitable endeavors, like they have a lock on the words "wounded warrior". shit, even their logo is stolen from dod pics...

It's a family scam, you should check out the "officers" salaries sometime!

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:46:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:47:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Sounds like WWP just gave a big Zumbo-slap to the gun community.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:47:16 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Uh, no.

REVENUE

Total Contributions$70,145,724

Program Service Revenue$0

Total Primary Revenue$70,145,724

Other Revenue$3,912,624

TOTAL REVENUE$74,058,348

EXPENSES

Program Expenses$31,782,076

Administrative Expenses$4,669,208

Fundraising Expenses$21,306,030

TOTAL FUNCTIONAL EXPENSES$57,757,314

Payments to Affiliates$0

Excess (or Deficit) for the year$16,301,034

Net Assets$30,357,444

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

$31mil out of $74mil went to veterans.

$16mil stayed in the bank.
I went off the published performance metrics. You would seem to be correct mathematically.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

One could ask that of the WWF as well, seeing as they have turned down fundraising and publicity opportunities due to their anti-gun policies.

As a demographic, gun-owners are probably the most likely, by a large majority, to be pro-military or pro-vet. Alienating a large group of donors for silly reasons is just plain dumb.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:50:36 PM EDT
[#42]
So, if Wounded Warriors started committing suicide with Under Armour polo shirts, would WWP sever ties?
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:50:56 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
They didn't mind taking procedes from Trijicon retail sales either...
http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/community/whats_new_archived_item.php?whats_newID=news_51

So is Trijicon lying, or is WWP?

Quoted:
WWP does not co-brand, create cause marketing campaigns or receive a percentage or a portion of proceeds from companies in which the product or message is sexual, political or religious in nature, or from alcohol or firearms companies.

Wow. So if a church made a contribution they would refuse it?
Bloody hell.... how did I miss this opportunity? I could have hung out with Michael Knight!!!

But it's ok.. Playboy has nothing to do with sex... how do they explain this:

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:53:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Official: Thunder Ranch will no longer be doing any fundraising for Wounded Warrior. This due to the main reason is they will do not want support from the guns period because guns are used by our military to kill themselves. What do they save themselves with? Seal team family... the Reece Petersen Trust fund. Thank you as always for your support. We will continue to do the best job we can to put as much money as we can to helping our military. Clint and Heidi

Was that written by a drunk, or am I having a stroke?
Seriously - need an answer. Think the lights are starting to dim......

I couldn't make any sense of it.    

If the Wounded Warrior Project? Ive wondered how much of the money they brin in goes back out. Its become very "commercial". Or is it Army Wounded Warriors (AW2)?

Aw2 is the army unit dedicated solely to army wounded ill and injured. Counterparts are navy safe harbor, usmc wounded warrior regiment, and usaf afw2.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:54:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Back to primarily donating to Fisher house then....

This sucks as we had put wwp as a "make donations to" at my father's funeral 10 days ago.

Fisher House is one of the few charities I donate to.  Their expense ratio is just about unmatched, and they do a lot of good.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:55:05 PM EDT
[#46]
WWP helped me out after getting wounded, I haven't heard of these other organizations.  YMMV
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:56:55 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Aw2 is the army unit dedicated solely to army wounded ill and injured. Counterparts are navy safe harbor, usmc wounded warrior regiment, and usaf afw2.

I know what AW2 is... I deal directly with them and have a rep that has been very helpful.

The original post didn't make the distinction. There are a lot of "wounded warrior" charities... just wanted to know which one. I figured it out as I read further though. Thanks.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:56:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Funny thing is that Trijicon is both weapons and religion related.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:57:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Sent them a nice email stating they've lost any future donations from me!  I hope, with enough pressure, they'll change this asinine position wrt firearms.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#50]
This thread needs to be tacked.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top