Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 25
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 7:01:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Headed out the door to work today I had a package.  Yay, the new binary mix is here, but wait a minute, what’s this other box?  Aha! It’s from Jeff at F5.

Popped open the box and inside is a launcher with a 13” barrel and a rail.
Attachment Attached File

I’ll have to test it against the other two lengths for distance.

Attachment Attached File

One thing to mention though...  Looking down the tube I see the depth of the can shoulder is set to the same distance from the muzzle as the other two lengths.  That means still no ability to seat longer projectiles all the way in, and still no longer bore travel .

Attachment Attached File

Inside view:
Attachment Attached File

Thinking about it though— it may be the next logical step to try I believe— if being methodical about this.  I was kinda surprised when the 11” launcher had further range than the 9” while only using the same “useable” bore length for can seating.  So it only follows to try an even longer one to see what happens then.  It also might factor in with the heavier blanks.  Getting more gas into the launch tube, but buffering the blast with a larger starting volume under the can.

If the current configuration on the 13” barrel doesn’t provide longer range, then maybe I could try boring the “can” shoulder back further?

Anyhoo- I’m tickled, and got more testing to do!
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:05:16 PM EDT
[#2]
My hypothesis: the 11" launcher got more distance due to having more gas ports on the barrel stem.

This set shoulder depth is really disappointing to learn about. Part of me wants to get a lathe and make an insert for the tube to launch the skinny 8oz cans and up the pressure.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 10:14:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My hypothesis: the 11" launcher got more distance due to having more gas ports on the barrel stem.

This set shoulder depth is really disappointing to learn about. Part of me wants to get a lathe and make an insert for the tube to launch the skinny 8oz cans and up the pressure.
View Quote
Both of my launchers (9” and 11”) had the same ports.  I even used the same upper for testing.  I just screwed one launch tube off, and screwed the next length onto the same upper.  I did that to eliminate as many variables as possible.  Same everything except the actual launch tube itself.

That said— I’m sure location and number of ports likely does play some sort of role in the pressure available.  When the chamber restrictor pin popped out of the upper I normally use, the pressure all but dissapeared.  The next can just plopped on the ground in front of me (about 8’ away).  Just guessing here, but I think the amount of initial restriction in the 5.56 stub plays a part in powder combustion.  I think the crimp in the 5.56 blank is enough to get it started, but without at least some moderate restriction the powder fails to completely burn and drops the amount of pressure generated.

I know you have a different style of 5.56 blank barrel in your upper, and that may equal a different pressure level as well.  Lots of variables at play, so many of them I’m just nipping around the edges.lol

I’m wondering how much grief it’d entail to ream or bore one of the longer launch tubes to the same depth of the 9” launcher.  I‘ve been looking at reamers online the last couple of hours, but without a very expensive piloted reamer, I’m not sure how good the end result would be.  I have access to a lathe (involves a road trip though), but I never got to the inside boring part in machine shop.  Wish I’d have had the money back then to continue the classes.

ETA:  I wasn’t specifically told not to say anything, so I guess it’d be ok to say there is a golf ball barrel and some other stuff they are working on.  Regarding the skinny cans:  Yep, I think a launch tube (or insert) for the 7.5 ounce cans would be neat.  IIRC, they are somewhere around 57-58mm?  Anyway- they might fly nice.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Just wanted to add another positive F5 customer service story. My launcher, like a few others arrived with a loose tube. Hand tightening the tube made the installed rail mount not index properly, annoying but didn't affect function. The blanks I bought from f5 were not feeding from a magazine and would not allow the bolt to go into battery fully. I had to load one at a time and even then sometimes it would still not fire and I had to forcefully remove the unfired blank. An e-mail to Jeff and I received a return label and 3 days later I had a replacement launcher at my door. The replacement launcher is indexed properly and blanks now feed fine. Great customer service.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 5:06:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I see that F5 MFG just came out with a golf ball launcher too

Launches golf balls, nets, smoke devices, and cans

This company is gonna make me go broke!

Attachment Attached File

https://f5mfg.com/product/demo-custom-product-2/
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 3:44:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/464598/2195E3CB-C476-427A-B638-11D60A23FBA1-648825.JPG

View Quote
Cool, does that just attach to the receiver from the other one?  Or does it come with its own receiver.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 4:31:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cool, does that just attach to the receiver from the other one?  Or does it come with its own receiver.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/464598/2195E3CB-C476-427A-B638-11D60A23FBA1-648825.JPG

From what Jeff said, the golf ball launch tube threads into the can launcher tube.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 5:49:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I want to see what type of net and how it launches it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 7:12:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

From what Jeff said, the golf ball launch tube threads into the can launcher tube.
View Quote
Ah I see. I wonder if it will work with the ones we have, or do you need a whole new setup? Probably a different setup, I'm thinking.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 7:48:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ah I see. I wonder if it will work with the ones we have, or do you need a whole new setup? Probably a different setup, I'm thinking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I assume a different setup.  The gold ball/net launcher looks like it threads into the can cannon.

Pretty good price to be able to launch all of the items they listed.

Just ordered one
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 8:44:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I tried to finish the remote firing fixture today, but of course got interrupted a bunch of times.

Ran out of daylight, but got most of it done anyway.

A few more tweaks and it’ll be ready:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 10:01:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Maybe an inflatable bladder and a foot pump for fast loading and firing?
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 11:29:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Maybe an inflatable bladder and a foot pump for fast loading and firing?
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I cannot believe how fast this thing got shipped here!!

I have vacation this week and am going to test it out

Jeff from F5 MFG is the man

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 1:01:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I still haven’t ordered mine but am def gonna get the upgraded one with the optional screw in golf ball launcher.  Seems to be the best of both worlds.  
The golf ball launcher doesn’t have the rail listed as an option?  Can you still get 9,11,13” options with the rail (if you want the golf ball launcher too), or does that limit you to just the one size?

How long is the tube on the new can/golf ball launcher combo?

Standing by for the testing of the:

9” vs 11” vs 13” tubes for cans

F5 blanks

Upgraded blanks

Golf ball launcher with blanks
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 1:24:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I still haven’t ordered mine but am def gonna get the upgraded one with the optional screw in golf ball launcher.  Seems to be the best of both worlds.  
The golf ball launcher doesn’t have the rail listed as an option?  Can you still get 9,11,13” options with the rail (if you want the golf ball launcher too), or does that limit you to just the one size?

How long is the tube on the new can/golf ball launcher combo?

Standing by for the testing of the:

9” vs 11” vs 13” tubes for cans

F5 blanks

Upgraded blanks

Golf ball launcher with blanks
View Quote
As of right now, I assume the size I received is the only size

Jeff from F5 answers all his emails if you want to check with him

Can cannon tube is 12-1/2” long

Golf ball tube is 13-13/16” long

He said they are working on a net launcher right now

Can’t wait!
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 3:48:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Funny. My emails with him a couple months ago I was asking him to make the golfball version.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 8:41:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Funny. My emails with him a couple months ago I was asking him to make the golfball version.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Must be where he got the idea
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 7:41:04 PM EDT
[#19]
So the golf ball launcher screws inside of the standard tube?  I have a NC Star Gold Ball Launcher that is direct thread.

Have we seen side by side tests of the linger launch tubes?

MAHA
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 7:43:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So the golf ball launcher screws inside of the standard tube?  I have a NC Star Gold Ball Launcher that is direct thread.

Have we seen side by side tests of the linger launch tubes?

MAHA
View Quote
Yes, the golf ball tube screws into female threads inside of the can cannon tube
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 8:51:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Okay... tried to do some testing today and it turned into a total goat rope.  Got interrupted and sidetracked all day.  Then ended up at the range with one wrong box = forgot to bring the stronger blanks.

But, I’ll share what I found anyway.

First off, my 13” launcher isn’t 13 inches.  Turns out to be slightly less than 12.5”

Attachment Attached File

The test rig I made worked perfectly for the 9” and 11” launchers, but then when I went to strap the 12.5” launcher in... the rail was in the way and I was bottomed out for elevation on the stand.    I’ll have to carve a notch for next time.  Another problem encountered was the 12.5” launcher was screwed on reeeal tight.  I didn’t have a strap wrench with me, so I had to remove the sights from my regular upper and swap them over.  No longer an exact match.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Sooo....  I started over, shoulder firing all 3.

12oz Soda ranges with M200 blanks

9” ~ 95 yards
11” ~ 105 yards
12.5” ~ 100 yards

Being ticked off at having screwed up the day, I went home and found the correct box with the Atlantic Wall blanks and fired them to see what happened.  Firing in the side yard (100 yards not available), I tried them out just to see what cans would burst with which blanks.  No sabots were used, just getting a feel for base survivability.

9” launcher with Atlantic Wall “Golf lvl 1” blanks = failure right off the bat.  The first 12oz can was frappeed out the gate.lol  With the 9” tube failing the first increment, it was retired for the rest of the test.

11” launcher with Atlantic Wall “Golf lvl 1” blanks = fired fine.  No failures encountered.  Slightly more recoil, but manageable.

11” launcher with Atlantic Wall “Golf lvl 2” blanks = fired mostly fine.  Some failures occured, but when fired at a high to moderate angle most cans survived.  Definitely more recoil.  Really “whomped” the trees when I shot cans at them.

11” launcher with Atlantic Wall “L.A.M.” blanks = failure.  Frappeed cans left and right.lol  A couple survived, but mostly a waste.

12.5” launcher with Atlantic Wall “Golf lvl 1” & “Golf lvl 2” blanks = fired fine.  More recoil, but the cans survived when fired at high to moderate angles.  I might have burst one at low angle, but I’m not sure (my note taker was slacking off..).

12.5” launcher with Atlantic Wall “L.A.M.” blanks = WOW!  Magnum force...  Most cans survived, and it whomped the piss out of the trees when I shot them.  Kinda felt bad for the trees.lol  Recoil was pretty stout.  I have a pretty thick and cushy shoulder pad on this thing and it still let you know you were really “mailing them out”.  I imagine it’d be pretty painful with the wrong stock.

So all said and done I gotta go back and run it again, but at least I know the longer (12.5”) tube 1.) doesn’t have longer range with M200 blanks, but 2.) it can send cans hauling without bursting them over hotter blanks.  What that will translate to in max range I don’t know, but I expect they’ll have to go farther.  I’m really wanting to max range test the 12.5’’ with 12oz cans and “L.A.M.” blanks now.

I have a small quantity of Atlantic’s version of the M195 grenade cartridge, but I didn’t try those as I was almost certain they’d burst the cans.  I don’t have many of them, so I’m hopefully saving them for some kind of sabot testing later.

Since I screwed up, I’ll post some vids to make up for it in the next post.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 9:03:28 PM EDT
[#22]
11” F5 Launcher with Atlantic Wall “Golf lvl 1” blanks and 12oz soda

11” launcher barrel with Atlantic Wall “Golf lvl 1” blank and 12oz soda

11” F5 Launcher with Atlantic Wall “Golf lvl 2” blanks and 12oz soda (ruptured can)

11” launcher barrel with Atlantic Wall “Golf lvl 2” blank and 12oz soda

12.5” F5 launcher and Atlantic Wall “Golf lvl 2” blank, forgot can... oops...  laughing like the tard I sometimes am.  Muzzle flash looks like might light fuses?

12.5” launcher barrel and Atlantic Wall “Golf lvl 2” blank, forgot can... oops...

12.5” F5 launcher with Atlantic Wall “L.A.M.” Blank and 12oz soda putting out a haymaker.

12.5” launcher with Atlantic Wall “L.A.M.” Blank and 12oz soda
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#23]
You are nailing the crap out of that tree. Thanks for the video.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 4:21:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm glad you noted cans fire at high to moderate angle failed less. When you think about it, the gas inside being level creates a bubble that is only separate from the explosion by a thin wall of aluminum. The steel cans I found at the ghetto grocery look promising for that reason.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 9:35:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm glad you noted cans fire at high to moderate angle failed less. When you think about it, the gas inside being level creates a bubble that is only separate from the explosion by a thin wall of aluminum. The steel cans I found at the ghetto grocery look promising for that reason.
View Quote
True, and I agree.  I can’t prove it, but I believe the air pocket in the can is exactly what causes the failures at low angle.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 9:50:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Ok, screw it, I put the circle cutter you guys suggested in my cart. https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-55-Cutter-Adjustable/dp/B00004T7P1/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1535414349&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=adjustable+circle+cutter&psc=1

Attachment Attached File

Reading the reviews and thinking about it— just reverse the blade bevel for cutting out “wheels” with straight edges. It may also be possible to cut without using the center drill bit too—- if I clamp the polyethylene sheet down firmly on the drill press with a wood cutting surface under it.  It looks like it might be sturdy enough to pull it off while just cutting plastic.

Presuming I could cut decent polyethylene discs (cheap cutting board material)...  What foam specifically should I use with the discs?

ETA: I’m looking at polyurethane foam sheet on Amazon, but the stuff I’m seeing so far is kind of pricey.

ETA #2:  Maybe 1/2” thick high density furniture foam like this?  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Upholstery-FoamTouch-Foam-Seat-Cushion-Replacement-24-x-72-24-x-84/283055021464?hash=item41e764dd98%3Am%3AmpkopW4JiH2pRy5ceJLKR0w&var=583442328105
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 12:25:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yes, the golf ball tube screws into female threads inside of the can cannon tube
View Quote
HMMM....  A golf ball and 11" tube is on the short list, now...

MAHA
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 9/3/2018 6:38:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Edit: got back to page 17 and see that PVC has been discussed.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Late to the party but here! Few questions:

1. Man, those "pirate" pistol-grip setups are dead sexy, but how do they shoot? Judging by some of the recoil reports, seems like it would be tough to control...

2. Anybody had luck ordering only a barrel? Would like to go side-charger so I'd rather not have an upper that I won't need...

3. So that last vid of the 12.5" with the LAM blanks is HOT...can I just call and request a 12.5"?

I'm about to get poor...I just want to do it right :)
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 11:07:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Late to the party but here! Few questions:

1. Man, those "pirate" pistol-grip setups are dead sexy, but how do they shoot? Judging by some of the recoil reports, seems like it would be tough to control...

2. Anybody had luck ordering only a barrel? Would like to go side-charger so I'd rather not have an upper that I won't need...

3. So that last vid of the 12.5" with the LAM blanks is HOT...can I just call and request a 12.5"?

I'm about to get poor...I just want to do it right :)
View Quote
I can’t speak to #1 because I don’t have an SCR lower, but I imagine without a buttstock it’d be a little stout on the wrist.lol

#2: As far as I know- no one will sell you just a launch tube.  I (along with others) wanted some that way originally, but to date I believe they only sell them as an upper.

#3:  I’m not 100% sure on that one either.  If I were ordering one now I’d probably call and ask before ordering it.  I don’t have one threaded for the golfball insert, but that’s definitely the one I’d be ordering next if I were getting another one.

I’ve got some more test data to put up on the 12.5” launcher with stronger blanks.  I’ll post it up tonight (wife unit intervening for right now).
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 11:15:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks, Variable!!  Honestly I was a little on the fence about this thing until you posted those vids...that can hitting that tree at 11,000 FPS with the stout blanks really got my attention :)  Really looking forward to your continued results!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 3:39:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Okay, another round of results.  Couldn’t get too crazy today as they were mowing at the range while I was shooting, but since it was cans instead of bullets we hugged the sideline and got a decent number of shots in.

I tested the 12.5” exclusively today, because I wanted to see what kind of longer range we could get with the hotter blanks.

Temperature was 90°, flat range, altitude 1400ft, 57% humidity, 30.2 inHg atmo.   The target (aiming point actually) was a sign stuck in the ground at exactly 100 yards from the firing point with the rounds impacting slightly to the left of the sign in oval groups as before, with the long axis of the groups running parallel to the trajectory.

I shoulder fired the rounds because I haven’t had time to modify the test rig for the rail on the 12.5” launch tube.  I also used Walmart purchased “Sam’s Diet Cola” instead of Krogers.  I had a slightly higher rate of failures, but I’m not sure if it was because of the brand change in cans or if it was temperature related.  We changed the sight setting for max range to 375 meters on the M203 sight because it seems to squeak out another one to two yards over the 350m setting.  I could never tell for sure before (because of bouncing cans) but today we got it figured out.  I had my daughter standing down range with a radio witnessing and reporting the impacts relative to the 100 yard line (and each other) while I dialed the sights back and forwards looking for max.  The maximum range achieved with 12oz cans, M200 GI blanks, and using the 12.5” launcher hovered right at 101 yards.  The 350m and 375m sight setting were really close, but the 375 edged out the win in average.  It might be possible to sqeak another couple feet by filing in another notch between the 375m and 400m settings, but the return would likely be so small I’m not going to bother.

I fired 5 round groups with each level of stronger blank and achieved the following results:

Atlantic Wall Blanks—-

Golf Ball Lvl 1 w/12oz cans = 107 yards
Golf Ball Lvl 2 w/12oz cans = 112 yards
L.A.M. Blanks w/12oz cans = 133 yards
L.A.M. Blanks w/  8oz cans = 153 yards

I encountered a higher failure rate with L.A.M. blanks this time compared to last (as mentioned above) with about 30-40% failures with the 12oz cans, and probably about 25% of the 8oz cans failing too.  Again, I’m not sure if it was because of brand, temperature, or ?.

Moving on the best part (for me at least), I then started firing the 16oz Coors Light aluminum bottles that I had refilled to the very top with water.

Coors Light with M200 blank = right around 70 yards.  A couple shorter and longer, but it was anticlimactic, so I moved on.

Coor Light with L.A.M. blank = 123 yards.  The recoil was pretty intense (some bruising even with my recoil pad.lol), but the launch was damned satisfying.

The fun part was that the cans held up perfectly on launch, and I even refired about a quarter of them— yep, that’s right.  The cans didn’t burst much, and about 25% of them stayed so intact they fit in the launcher for another firing (just little wrinkles).  Less than half popped open, but the majority were deformed.

First near perfect can I recovered
Attachment Attached File

That’s dirt in the threads in the cap, but it was almost perfectly intact.  It had some tiny wrinkles, but they don’t even show in the pic.  It seems to just be chance of how they impact (angle).  The grass and ground density at the range probably played a part too.

I let the guy mowing the range and his son shoot the launcher a while and they had a blast with it until I let the son shoot the 16oz Coors rounds.  He did fine with the regular M200, but he wanted to shoot a L.A.M. and stupid me let him.  I had warned him about the intense recoil and to stay away from the sights, but he crawled too close and got bit really bad.  The sight bloodied his nose and cut the outside of his nose too.  I about had a heart attack when it happened and felt like crap.  The boy shoots high power, and handled everything else okay, but he was a little slight of frame for the jackhammer load.  I figured his dad would want to kill me, but they were cool about it (whew.... sweating on that one.lol).  He stuffed napkins in his nose, and one on the cut outside.  Both stopped bleeding after a bit.

Here is a short vid I grabbed of the poor kid’s dad shooting a Coors with just an M200 blank (pre- nose busting).  The can in that shot did bust.
12.5” launcher, 16oz water filled Coors can, M200 blank

I wish I had got vid of the Coors rounds earlier when I was shooting the L.A.M. blanks, but my daughter was down range then, and when she came back we were letting the other two guys shoot.  When the son got his nose busted I forgot all about vids.  I quickly switched my daughter over to shooting some tennis balls, and when we could gracefully bow out we cleaned up our mess quick, said our goodbyes, and left.

TL/DR:  Stronger blanks did see longer ranges.  Not as far as I’d hoped, but what I got is what I got.  The 16oz Coors with L.A.M. blanks is my new huckleberry for whacking stuff hard.  I’ll be shooting a lot more of those in the future.  I need to start reloading blanks though, as they ain’t cheap and I’ve burned through a buttload of them doing these tests.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 4:02:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Thanks, Variable!!  Honestly I was a little on the fence about this thing until you posted those vids...that can hitting that tree at 11,000 FPS with the stout blanks really got my attention :)  Really looking forward to your continued results!!
View Quote
No problemo, I’m having a blast.lol

Just watch out for your sights if you shoot the heavy loads.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 9:46:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Haha - that pic of the Coors Light 16 and the Baofeng made me nervous...I was like "I know those radios are cheap, but....."
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 4:08:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Has anyone tried using grenade launching cartridges with these? Is there a 7.62mm version (I have a few boxes of launching cartridges in that calibre)?
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 7:03:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Has anyone tried using grenade launching cartridges with these? Is there a 7.62mm version (I have a few boxes of launching cartridges in that calibre)?
View Quote
5.56–  I have some blanks that Atlantic says are M195 equivalent.  I haven’t tried those yet.  I expect burst cans on every shot, so I haven’t been in a rush.  When all the crap I ordered gets here I’ll try making some wads to absorb some of the pressure.  I want to try the M195 equivalent blanks next, but I know it’ll likely splatter even the Coors cans.  I’ll straight up admit I’m intimidated by the thought of the recoil even if a Coors can survived the launch.  The “L.A.M.” blanks from Atlantic are about as hot as I think I ever want to shoulder fire a 16oz can.  I’ll probably go a little higher to check, but I doubt anything heavier will be much fun.lol

7.62–  (all of the following is based off of what I’ve read online because I don’t have a 7.62 launcher) X-Products makes a 7.62 upper, but they say it isn’t for launching soda type cans.  You might get away with some form of wads, sabots, or something like that.  Either that or custom load weaker blanks.  Otherwise expect to just spray soda all over on every shot.

To date— 5.56 has enough energy available to murder any soda can, and we haven’t even scratched M195 performance.  7.62 would likely be useful for launching more heavily constructed items, but the higher you go the heavier the recoil will get too (I say that as a .50BMG shooter who isn’t averse to heavy recoil— if someone would give me ammo I’d shoot my M96 Windrunner all day).

I plan on going crazier over time with loads, and making a “soda mortar” when I get the easier stuff figured out.  I’m just putting in as much homework to try fully understanding what I’m dealing with first.  There is likely nothing I could fire off my shoulder that wouldn’t be fully powered by a 5.56 blank of some type of loading.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 7:10:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

5.56–  I have some blanks that Atlantic says are M195 equivalent.  I haven’t tried those yet.  I expect burst cans on every shot, so I haven’t been in a rush.  When all the crap I ordered gets here I’ll try making some wads to absorb some of the pressure.  I want to try the M195 equivalent blanks next, but I know it’ll likely splatter even the Coors cans.  I’ll straight up admit I’m intimidated by the thought of the recoil even if a Coors can survived the launch.  The “L.A.M.” blanks from Atlantic are about as hot as I think I ever want to shoulder fire a 16oz can.  I’ll probably go a little higher to check, but I doubt anything heavier will be much fun.lol

7.62–  (all of the following is based off of what I’ve read online because I don’t have a 7.62 launcher) X-Products makes a 7.62 upper, but they say it isn’t for launching soda type cans.  You might get away with some form of wads, sabots, or something like that.  Either that or custom load weaker blanks.  Otherwise expect to just spray soda all over on every shot.

To date— 5.56 has enough energy available to murder any soda can, and we haven’t even scratched M195 performance.  7.62 would likely be useful for launching more heavily constructed items, but the higher you go the heavier the recoil will get too (I say that as a .50BMG shooter who isn’t averse to heavy recoil— if someone would give me ammo I’d shoot my M96 Windrunner all day).

I plan on going crazier over time with loads, and making a “soda mortar” when I get the easier stuff figured out.  I’m just putting in as much homework to try fully understanding what I’m dealing with first.  There is likely nothing I could fire off my shoulder that wouldn’t be fully powered by a 5.56 blank of some type of loading.
View Quote
If it starts approaching rifle grenade levels of recoil, rifle grenade techniques for aiming and launching would probably alleviate things somewhat (firing with the butt tucked under the arm or against the ground or some other object).

I wonder if there is a good filler material for cans that doesn't add too much weight but which would aid in durability, at least for one launch, and less mess with any sort of rupture.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 1:51:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Anyone else have trouble with not going into battery sometimes?

My suspicion is that either the pin is a bit short or the blanks are a bit long, but I've had a few that won't chamber.

Next time out I'll try a different bolt, but it was all I had with me this time.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 2:11:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Anyone else have trouble with not going into battery sometimes?

My suspicion is that either the pin is a bit short or the blanks are a bit long, but I've had a few that won't chamber.

Next time out I'll try a different bolt, but it was all I had with me this time.
View Quote
So far all of my blanks have chambered.

I’ve had a few not go fully into battery on the first drop, but they worked when I retried.  I‘ve also had some fired blanks be sticky to extract.  I’m not sure if there’s any rhyme or reason to it, because I haven’t paid much attention.  I need to clean mine and oil it.  Not cycling semi alleviates the dirt, but I still get some brass shavings and stuff.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Attachment Attached File

Just got this, haven't shot it yet. Now Need some sort of sight but I'm to lazy to go back and read all the pages.

Someone want to cliff notes the sight options?
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:54:55 PM EDT
[#42]
It may have been up for a while, but I just noticed there is a .308 launcher now on the F5 site; if anybody talks to the owner, mind asking about it?  The test results here seem to indicate there's no real advantage to go .308 on this thing - maybe they've done something with it we haven't?
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 9:00:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It may have been up for a while, but I just noticed there is a .308 launcher now on the F5 site; if anybody talks to the owner, mind asking about it?  The test results here seem to indicate there's no real advantage to go .308 on this thing - maybe they've done something with it we haven't?
View Quote
Iraq Veteran 8888 has a video of it on YouTube. Didn't look that much better than the ones here. Louder maybe.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 5:16:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2158/IMG_3158-668764.JPG

Just got this, haven't shot it yet. Now Need some sort of sight but I'm to lazy to go back and read all the pages.

Someone want to cliff notes the sight options?
View Quote
Sights:

Airsoft versions, M203 Leaf sight on top (hopefully extended forward somehow) and need a front post added somehow for fine aim (if desired), or M203 quadrant.

I opted for M203 quadrant.  https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/X-Products-Can-Cannon--now-an-F5-thread-/5-2122881/?page=13#i73603975

I bought a quick release adjustable riser to add, but haven’t done pics and put it on yet.  Been sick and got little done.  I’ll add the info when I get time to mess with it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 5:23:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Small update.  I found cheap 87¢ cutting boards at Walmart, so I snapped them all up.  I started last night but got sick and only made 9 wads (one cutting board’s worth).  I also bought a cheap high density foam camping ground pad to cut up and add to the wads, but it’ll be bitch to cut with my chinese hole punch, so I haven’t tried it yet.

Walmart Cutting board:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Here are the wads:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Surprisingly the wads came out perfectly sized to the bore on the first try.  That circle cutter (fly cutter) you guys turned me on to is perfect for this.  It does scare the shit out of me running it though.  Talk about a spinny mangling death whacker.  I pay reeeeally close attention when that sucker is on!
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 7:52:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Small update.  I found cheap 87¢ cutting boards at Walmart, so I snapped them all up.  I started last night but got sick and only made 9 wads (one cutting board’s worth).  I also bought a cheap high density foam camping ground pad to cut up and add to the wads, but it’ll be bitch to cut with my chinese hole punch, so I haven’t tried it yet.

Walmart Cutting board:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/53338/CD9FC266-3A7B-42A3-974C-145D85163182-671059.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/53338/A13C4DE1-66C9-4A91-A287-493AD832721A-671060.JPG

Here are the wads:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/53338/167C16B9-74AA-4B72-B6E5-BA5BA1A7E816-671061.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/53338/F1D9674D-82AC-494B-9833-934E7656687A-671062.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/53338/98B6449D-77A5-4FA3-AEAC-2FD396AC55D4-671063.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/53338/7BE5D776-52B7-4135-A5C3-49800F7454E0-671064.JPG

Surprisingly the wads came out perfectly sized to the bore on the first try.  That circle cutter (fly cutter) you guys turned me on to is perfect for this.  It does scare the shit out of me running it though.  Talk about a spinny mangling death whacker.  I pay reeeeally close attention when that sucker is on!
View Quote
I can only imagine worse case scenarios using a wad that solid

Best of luck
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 8:49:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Best of luck
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Walmart Cutting board:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/53338/CD9FC266-3A7B-42A3-974C-145D85163182-671059.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/53338/A13C4DE1-66C9-4A91-A287-493AD832721A-671060.JPG

Here are the wads:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/53338/167C16B9-74AA-4B72-B6E5-BA5BA1A7E816-671061.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/53338/F1D9674D-82AC-494B-9833-934E7656687A-671062.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/53338/98B6449D-77A5-4FA3-AEAC-2FD396AC55D4-671063.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/53338/7BE5D776-52B7-4135-A5C3-49800F7454E0-671064.JPG

Best of luck
I’ll have zero qualms about it with light cans (8oz’ers), and I doubt the 12oz cans will be a problem either, but I fully intend to test for issues regardless.

I’ll be firing the 16oz Coors Light with M195 equivalent blanks next (without wad).  I’m expecting the can to fail, but we’ll see what happens.  If it fails, the ultimate test would be the 16oz can with a wad and M195.  That one will likely pucker my butt.  If the 12.5” launcher survives that, then I’ll try the 11” launcher (higher start pressure).  If that one turns out okay, then I’ll drop down to the 9” launcher (highest starting pressure).

I figure somebody has to try it before we’ll know what happens.lol  I’ll be lanyard firing from behind cover, so no major risk (to me at least).

That’s why I went through all the trouble with making the static lanyard firing rig.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I’ll just be sure to try getting vid when the test shots are fired.  If anything fails I definitely want to have it recorded.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 10:46:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Standing by for results!
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 11:29:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Heck yeah, Variable!! Really looking forward to your findings!! And I appreciate the cliff notes on the sights - I was going to have to go mining through for that as well!
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#50]
I kind of want to see just a cutting board wad get shot out.  I know it wont go far.

MAHA
Page / 25
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top