Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/2/2019 9:37:08 AM EDT
https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-asia-china-46733174

... if it was me, nukes would be flying the minute PRC Marine sets one foot on taiwan's beach.

But no, I bet when the day comes we will just sit there and watch just like we did with Hong Kong.
What a ridiculous world we live in

Eta
... I'm just tired, tired of it all, I care far too much, what a ridiculous hell I'm forced to live in.

Big pony and I need to move out to the country.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:40:01 AM EDT
[#1]
China has been saying this for decades. Many decades.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh, another thing. Nuke China over Taiwan?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:42:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not even sure China could beat Taiwan in a straight up fight. I don't think China is either, else it would have already been attempted.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:43:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Hong Kong was a 100 year British/Chinese treaty.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:43:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Blame the Brits for Hong Kong they are the ones who gave it up.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:43:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't they have a fairly decent military ?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:44:54 AM EDT
[#7]
If the ex-pats could move to Taiwan, why can't they move farther?

Evac anyone who doesn't want to live under Chinese rule, blow up anything valuable, and let China have it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:47:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
The British rent expired in Hong Kong, so, they moved out according to the lease agreement.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:47:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I wonder if Taiwan has missile long-range enough to reach Three Gorge Dam.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Like crimea.....
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:49:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Did they not get the word that Hillary didn't win?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:49:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
You're damn right, they have to be stopped, if it was me the whole Mainland would be embargoed, I would even Ally with the Russians to make that happen

Their government is soon-to-be ingsoc incarnate, they must be stopped.

Eta, I'm a defacto Taoist, so perhaps I have more skin in the game then most @NickGunar
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:49:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Too many people and the island will flip over like Guam.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:50:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Peak Wolf Gold?

Reminds me, I need a T91 upper.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:51:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The British rent expired in Hong Kong, so, they moved out according to the lease agreement.
View Quote
The minute the PRC fully took over they should have ignored everything but no, fucking cowards, is anything if they didn't want to be in the area they should have just given it to us
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:52:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not doing so could (legit) be considered a foreign occupation.

On the other hand handing over 'free' people to a despotic dictaorshit is never justified and the people of HK should have demanded the Brits leave them with a robust strategic nuke arsenal.

Guess liberty or death thingy doesnt trump a quick buck.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:53:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Like crimea.....
View Quote
... When good men and women do nothing ...
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:56:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Not doing so could (legit) be considered a foreign occupation.

On the other hand handing over 'free' people to a despotic dictaorshit is never justified and the people of HK should have demanded the Brits leave them with a robust strategic nuke arsenal.

Guess liberty or death thingy doesnt trump a quick buck.
View Quote
Indeed
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:57:09 AM EDT
[#19]
HK was handed back at the end of the lease in 1999.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 9:57:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You're damn right, they have to be stopped, if it was me the whole Mainland would be embargoed, I would even Ally with the Russians to make that happen

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for your well thought out military / political strategy.

Not sure how this is in our national interest.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
National interest? Yes and no.

For the interest of freedom for all Humanity? It is, tyranny has to be stopped at every level no matter where it is in the world, at least when tyranny is the second most powerful Nation on Earth
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:01:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
And more recently they've been on a massive Navy building program. And saying they want to take Taiwan by 2020.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:03:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sure you aren’t Neville Chamberlain reicharnated?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:07:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Eta, I'm a defacto Taoist, so perhaps I have more skin in the game then most @NickGunar
View Quote
I sure am happy your not running the show. Do you understand the ramification of tossing nuclear weapons around?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:07:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Xi badly needs emotionally charged foreign policy stuff to rally the Chinese around so he doesn't have to talk about how fucked their economy is while justifying his ascension to emperor.  I think he'd welcome a cheap land war to both bind together and thin out the ranks a bit, but they're in a bad neighborhood for cheap, successful land wars.  An air and sea war against somebody semi-competent or better would be hyper expensive without getting enough cannon fodder killed, and would invite intervention and probable defeat by the Japanese and Americans.

But it wouldn't be the first time that rhetoric and pride and domestic politics led a cocky up and comer into a foreign policy cul-de-sac that he thought he had no choice but  to try to fight his out of.  So much of this is reminiscent of Japan-US in the late 30's.  The resentment, the rapidly rising empire hemmed in by greater powers, the incestuous relationship between the Chinese military and government pushing them along a confrontational path, the US slapping them down for pushing too far hoping for a logical reaction, the inability of the Chinese to fold a bad hand and negotiate in good faith.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:13:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Back in the 1990s I had a visiting professor from the University of Beijing for couple of weeks in a class. The regular prof asked us before she showed up to stick to topic at hand (international aviation law) and not get off track into issues around Taiwan. Anyway, I'm not sure how it happened but one day the topic veered into Taiwan. One of my fellow deplorables asked her the question, "When was the last time the PRC collected taxes from or enforced a law over the people of the ROC?" The answer of course is "never" and the implication is how can you reunify that which has never been unified. She started sputtering and screaming "ONE CHINA!" at the guy until most of us walked out. She completely cracked up like a broken robot or Marco Rubio in that one debate. It was one of the most bizaare moments of my life. I'll never forget that shit and how these people are essentially programmed to say "One China!" and that's the extent of the argument.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
And more recently they've been on a massive Navy building program. And saying they want to take Taiwan by 2020.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
China better get busy, because I seriously doubt Taiwan ends up in Chinese rule next year.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I sure am happy your not running the show. Do you understand the ramification of tossing nuclear weapons around?
View Quote
You think I Don't?

Of course I do.

The bear was shown where its influence ends with the Cuban Missile Crisis, the gold dragon with red paint must be shown the same thing.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:16:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pretty mushroom clouds and fallout?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:18:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Is Taiwan part of NATO or a protectorate of the USA?

Why are we always the worlds policeman?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:24:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Like crimea.....
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:34:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Come, take.

Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:37:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

... if it was me, nukes would be flying the minute PRC Marine sets one foot on taiwan's beach.

But no, I bet when the day comes we will just sit there and watch just like we did with Hong Kong.
View Quote
We may not be cool with starting WW3 over Taiwan.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#34]
if Taiwan doesn’t have nukes, it needs them.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:59:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is going to have to be dealt with diplomatically or give Taiwan weapons that are not nukes and let them deal with it.

I don't think you'll find much support in sacrificing potentially half our population or more in a nuclear conflict over Taiwan, sorry.

To protect our 50 states, sure different story.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:00:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

National interest? Yes and no.

For the interest of freedom for all Humanity? It is, tyranny has to be stopped at every level no matter where it is in the world, at least when tyranny is the second most powerful Nation on Earth
View Quote

Are you willing to sacrifice your sons in a war over Taiwan?  I'm not.  Are you aware the majority of the population in Taiwan sees reunification with China as a good thing?

It's not up to us to be the world's policemen and it will accomplish nothing but the downfall of the USA.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#38]
China is like the psycho ex boyfriend who can't accept being dumped.

We should arm Taiwan, but not go to war over it.  It's not Poland 1939.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:35:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Are you willing to sacrifice your sons in a war over Taiwan?  I'm not.  Are you aware the majority of the population in Taiwan sees reunification with China as a good thing?

It's not up to us to be the world's policemen and it will accomplish nothing but the downfall of the USA.
View Quote
I am, but most of America is not,, Vietnam is proof of that

Is immaturity there believe it is a good thing than they are foolish, they will come to regret feeling the iron hand of the PRC

Sometimes I hate that the Dao does nothing.

@BlueJames
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:37:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:39:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Infiltration etc.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:39:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm not even sure China could beat Taiwan in a straight up fight. I don't think China is either, else it would have already been attempted.
View Quote
China has been worried about USA commitment to defend Taiwan. Half Chinese news on Taiwan yesterday was “USA stay away”
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Don't they have a fairly decent military ?
View Quote
Taiwan? No
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:46:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I am, but most of America is not,, Vietnam is proof of that

Is immaturity there believe it is a good thing than they are foolish, they will come to regret feeling the iron hand of the PRC

Sometimes I hate that the Dao does nothing.

@BlueJames
View Quote
I'm not sure my words had much impact on you.  You would seriously see your sons dead for some fruitless war overseas?  Are your sons aware that the freedom of people you don't know, who are unwilling to fight for their liberty is more important to you than your son's lives?  As a father I am absolutely stunned and bewildered by your comments.  Maybe the rest of us have caught on to something that you have not.

Just out of curiosity when and where is it that you served?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:46:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Reuniting Xi Jinping with mother earth would be a fine start.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:47:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Since 1949.  It's part of mainland tradition.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:48:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Could Chinese military really invade Taiwan if US was neutral? Part 1/2

Could Chinese military conquer Taiwan within a year? Part 2/2
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If the ex-pats could move to Taiwan, why can't they move farther?

Evac anyone who doesn't want to live under Chinese rule, blow up anything valuable, and let China have it.
View Quote
Brilliant, so are you volunteering the USA to accept them?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:55:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Back in the 1990s I had a visiting professor from the University of Beijing for couple of weeks in a class. The regular prof asked us before she showed up to stick to topic at hand (international aviation law) and not get off track into issues around Taiwan. Anyway, I'm not sure how it happened but one day the topic veered into Taiwan. One of my fellow deplorables asked her the question, "When was the last time the PRC collected taxes from or enforced a law over the people of the ROC?" The answer of course is "never" and the implication is how can you reunify that which has never been unified. She started sputtering and screaming "ONE CHINA!" at the guy until most of us walked out. She completely cracked up like a broken robot or Marco Rubio in that one debate. It was one of the most bizaare moments of my life. I'll never forget that shit and how these people are essentially programmed to say "One China!" and that's the extent of the argument.
View Quote
'Programmed' is the word. The true believers will froth at the mouth if challenged on any aspect of their faith.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top