Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:19:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hong Kong was a 100 year British/Chinese treaty.
View Quote
Jesus Christ am I the only one that did the required reading and watched Rush Hour 2 prior to commenting?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#2]
If someone's grasp of geography,let alone knowledge of international treaties,is so poor that they have to ask if Taiwan is in NATO
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:25:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, let’s start a nuclear war and essentially destroy our own country, over some other country taking over an island on the other side of the world.

It sucks if they ever do it, but starting a nuclear war over it would be crazy. It’d be like us nuking the USSR because they invaded Afghanistan...which would’ve been utterly insane.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:28:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This ^ is where I get pissed off.

Now I have no idea of Taiwan's military strength or lack thereof but suffice to say that imho, we should NOT be obligated to protect those who don't take their own safety and well being seriously.

I have a similar issue with regard to Seoul when people get all weak in the knees about the amount of carnage NK can inflict on the city.

They have had 60+ years to mitigate the issue of having such a large portion of their people and industry being in range of artillery or short range rockets and have continued to expand in the area under the expectation that we would be their "trip wire".

Now I won't knock them as they seem to be actively trying to defend themselves BUT, the whole Seoul thing baffles me.

It puts us in an incredibly bad position when they have basically left their collective ass hanging out over Grand Canyon.

Am I wrong?
View Quote
I was stationed there and from what I saw, the ROK army trains very hard. Outnumbered or not I think they can more than handle North Korea in a conventional fight.

We moved a lot of our units/posts south over the past few years. These days, our continued presence is more to show that we're serious about our commitment to treaty allies, and to maintain a presence in the region.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:29:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Saying something again and again doesn't make it true.  China stopped being communist about the same time the Soviets did.  They are a totalitarian state with virtually zero freedoms, yes.  But they are not communist.  They only extend their citizens the freedoms that ultimately are of benefit to the state.  They don't have any consideration for the morality of freedom.

Do they still call their themselves "The Communist Party"?  Sure, but democrats are supposed to support and defend democracy here at home and we all know how much they love that one man, one vote thing.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:30:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Trump signs Taiwan Travel Act to China''s dismay
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:32:53 PM EDT
[#7]
NEED MOAR
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:34:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

And what if the aftermath is worse like is so often is? Groing up back in my hometown I had Vietnamese and Cambodian Neighbors, the stories I've heard ... war is brutal, and yet people don't learn from it most of the time, people just want power over others.

I hate the price of freedom, its so damn High, sometimes costing hundreds of millions of people, is it worth It? ... it has to be.

However there's one thing that always depresses me, we don't seem to change, I mean this in the regards of humanity, ever since we as a species discovered agriculture, we have been on this ride of never ending insanity, with either four outcomes in the end, either we finally win and freedom mostly wins over the Earth, or tyranny wins and all is under an Iron Fist of a few, or somehow we keep chugging along the way we are now for the next million years, perhaps the worst outcome, we completely destroy each other and the planet along with it.

What bothers me most, is that I don't know, I will never live long enough to see the end of this, the outcome is still so far away, perhaps another ten thousand years.

I can only think in silence
View Quote
There is no end to it.  Tyranny is the language most of the world speaks.  That's just how it is.  Democracy and limited government only works when there is a culture of freedom to support and defend it.  Be grateful that you live somewhere relatively peaceful where you can have a good life.  Why sacrifice what we have here to give freedom to people overseas that don't even want it?  It's pure insanity!
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:35:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No, China isn't communist and hasn't been for decades.  Plus we know how well that worked out for us last time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wouldn't be a war over Taiwan, it would be a war against communism.
No, China isn't communist and hasn't been for decades.  Plus we know how well that worked out for us last time.
May I ask what your ethnicity is?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:35:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Saying something again and again doesn't make it true.  China stopped being communist about the same time the Soviets did.  They are a totalitarian state with virtually zero freedoms, yes.  But they are not communist.  They only extend their citizens the freedoms that ultimately are of benefit to the state.  They don't have any consideration for the morality of freedom.

Do they still call their themselves "The Communist Party"?  Sure, but democrats are supposed to support and defend democracy here at home and we all know how much they love that one man, one vote thing.
View Quote
You’ll have to convince quite a few US Congressmembers, think tanks & Bill Gertz. None of them seem to think it’s a fake news label https://www.cruz.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=4087 Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:35:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Oh, another thing. Nuke China over Taiwan?
View Quote
This is arfcom, the answer is always nukes
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:38:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I’m no geopolitical strategist, but neither are the bulk of other posters. It’s incredibly important on the world stage that our word is our bond, especially when it comes to people we say we protect. Whenever we leave them to the wolves we look like shit, and we’ve done that a good bit recently. Other groups see that. Both groups we claim to protect, and people that would do them harm. Once both see our word is no good, our international interests are going to falter.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:40:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There is no end to it.  Tyranny is the language most of the world speaks.  That's just how it is.  Democracy and limited government only works when there is a culture of freedom to support and defend it.  Be grateful that you live somewhere relatively peaceful where you can have a good life.  Why sacrifice what we have here to give freedom to people overseas that don't even want it?  It's pure insanity!
View Quote
... and because of that fact, we collectively as a species might be doomed, I can only say that for you, if the day comes, get the hell off of that Island

I guess China's Last Hope really did die with the premature death of Sun Yat-sen, then again what could he even do?

What a world.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:44:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I’m no geopolitical strategist, but neither are the bulk of other posters. It’s incredibly important on the world stage that our word is our bond,
View Quote
-I'd be content if it was simply true on the national stage.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:46:00 PM EDT
[#15]
No bluejames is right, to quote 1984

"Now I will tell you the answer to my question. It is this. The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power, pure power. What pure power means you will understand presently. We are different from the oligarchies of the past in that we know what we are doing. All the others, even those who resembled ourselves, were cowards and hypocrites. The German Nazis and the Russian Communists came very close to us in their methods, but they never had the courage to recognize their own motives. They pretended, perhaps they even believed, that they had seized power unwillingly and for a limited time, and that just around the corner there lay a paradise where human beings would be free and equal. We are not like that. We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now you begin to understand me."

you can slap any label new label to the word evil, or tyranny.

It is almost alive, it uses anything to its own gain no matter what it is.

The word communism is just a tool, it is the illusion that is shown, it is not the reality of what is said behind closed doors

All for power, everything else is irrelevant

@CarmelBytheSea
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:48:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

... and because of that fact, we collectively as a species might be doomed, I can only say that for you, if the day comes, get the hell off of that Island

I guess China's Last Hope really did die with the premature death of Sun Yat-sen, then again what could he even do?

What a world.
View Quote
The global trend is less violence, more peace and prosperity.  I don't buy the pessimists view of humanity considering things now are better than they were 50 years ago, better then they were 100, 200, 500 years ago.  People live longer healthier lives and as a percentage less and less of us are killed in wars, famines, natural disasters, etc.  Governments also lessen their grip more and more on the whole.  500 years ago it was all monarchies the world over and now it's mostly democracies.  In another 500 years there may not even be governments.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:48:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm not even sure China could beat Taiwan in a straight up fight. I don't think China is either, else it would have already been attempted.
View Quote
China couldn't even make a dent in Vietnam when they invaded it in 1979. Got their asses handed to them by border guards.

And that didn't involve an opposed amphibious landing, the most difficult type of military operation known to man.

If the Taiwanese are willing to fight, the ocean will run bright red with PRC blood.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:49:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hong Kong was a 100 year British/Chinese treaty.
View Quote
Chicoms had rights
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:49:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The global trend is less violence, more peace and prosperity.  I don't buy the pessimists view of humanity considering things now are better than they were 50 years ago, better then they were 100, 200, 500 years ago.  People live longer healthier lives and as a percentage less and less of us are killed in wars, famines, natural disasters, etc.  Governments also lessen their grip more and more on the whole.  500 years ago it was all monarchies the world over and now it's mostly democracies.  In another 500 years there may not even be governments.
View Quote
So let it be written, so let it be done.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:50:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I think you need to reread what I posted previosuly.  Simply calling it the "Communist Party" does not make it so.  They are communist in name only.  By your logic North Korea is a democracy since they call themselves the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:51:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What a world.
I'm guessing you missed the memo that WWI and WWII killed more people than all wars killed in the 500 years of European Monarchy.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:52:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The British rent expired in Hong Kong, so, they moved out according to the lease agreement.
View Quote
The only thing that expired was the 99 year lease on the New Territories, the UK was under no obligation to return Hong Kong Island or Kowloon.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:53:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I think you need to reread what I posted previosuly.  Simply calling it the "Communist Party" does not make it so.  They are communist in name only.  By your logic North Korea is a democracy since they call themselves the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
You're right, the PRC isn't really Communist. What it really is, is the Nazi Reich: Hungry Five Minutes Later Edition.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:59:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
wonderful  here on arfcom we get a   "well thats not REAL communism" argument
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 2:01:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The only thing that expired was the 99 year lease on the New Territories, the UK was under no obligation to return Hong Kong Island or Kowloon.
View Quote
Washington didnt honor agreements with France once the King  was unassed.    England could have and should have said the same.  "We did not have a lease with the  new communist gov of china"
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 2:03:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm guessing you missed the memo that WWI and WWII killed more people than all wars killed in the 500 years of European Monarchy.
View Quote
I'm guessing you missed the memo where European monarchies didn't start 500 years ago but thousands of years ago.  How about the Punic Wars, what percentage of Europe's population died then?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 2:07:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm guessing you missed the memo where European monarchies didn't start 500 years ago but thousands of years ago.  How about the Punic Wars, what percentage of Europe's population died then?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So now the Roman Republic is a Monarchy?

Thank you for proving my point that the period of European Monarchy was the most peaceful.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 2:08:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Washington didnt honor agreements with France once the King  was unassed.    England could have and should have said the same.  "We did not have a lease with the  new communist gov of china"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I spend quite a bit of HK and have friends that live there, most everyone who lived there before the handover hates the CCP and mainlanders. I took this photo at the Remembrance Day ceremony at the Cenotaph a couple months ago. Most protest events these days feature the Union Jack and colonial flag.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 2:10:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If someone's grasp of geography,let alone knowledge of international treaties,is so poor that they have to ask if Taiwan is in NATO
View Quote
Turkey is neither Atlantic or Northern.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 2:10:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In what alternate reality has "Governments also lessen their grip more and more on the whole" ?

Even here in the US the government has to approve of my gas can, my light "bulbs", my toilet, and thousands more things it used to have no say in.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 2:12:23 PM EDT
[#31]
I'd be far happier in a world of "The sun never sets on the British Empire" than I am where their influence has waned, and in almost every case despotism and dogshit has taken their place.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 2:12:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

wonderful  here on arfcom we get a   "well thats not REAL communism" argument
View Quote
Prior to 1990 it was socialism, prior to 1976 it was communism.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Meanwhile...

China Bans "Winnie the Pooh" - Looks Too Much Like President Xi
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 2:18:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Thank you for proving my point that the period of European Monarchy was the most peaceful.
View Quote
Rome was a Monarchy for the majority of its existance, not a republic.  It was a republic for only about 500 years and a Monarchy for 700.

As time has progressed less people on average die throughout history.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 2:20:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

In what alternate reality has "Governments also lessen their grip more and more on the whole" ?

Even here in the US the government has to approve of my gas can, my light "bulbs", my toilet, and thousands more things it used to have no say in.
View Quote
When did you last give your sons up for involuntary military campaigns to your feudal lord?  Did he threaten to kick you off his land if you refused to comply?

ETA: How much time have you spent in the stocks recently for speaking ill of your vassal?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 2:25:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
China has been saying this for decades. Many decades.
View Quote
this. aint happening.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 2:36:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

No bluejames is right, to quote 1984

"Now I will tell you the answer to my question. It is this. The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power, pure power. What pure power means you will understand presently. We are different from the oligarchies of the past in that we know what we are doing. All the others, even those who resembled ourselves, were cowards and hypocrites. The German Nazis and the Russian Communists came very close to us in their methods, but they never had the courage to recognize their own motives. They pretended, perhaps they even believed, that they had seized power unwillingly and for a limited time, and that just around the corner there lay a paradise where human beings would be free and equal. We are not like that. We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now you begin to understand me."

you can slap any label new label to the word evil, or tyranny.

It is almost alive, it uses anything to its own gain no matter what it is.

The word communism is just a tool, it is the illusion that is shown, it is not the reality of what is said behind closed doors

All for power, everything else is irrelevant

@CarmelBytheSea
View Quote
Yeah, I’ve seen the academic “what is communism” arguments for forever and a day. Often North Korea brings out the arguments over it
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 2:37:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Re-read mine, parse each word
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 2:41:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I sure am happy your not running the show. Do you understand the ramification of tossing nuclear weapons around?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're damn right, they have to be stopped, if it was me the whole Mainland would be embargoed, I would even Ally with the Russians to make that happen

Their government is soon-to-be ingsoc incarnate, they must be stopped.

Eta, I'm a defacto Taoist, so perhaps I have more skin in the game then most @NickGunar
I sure am happy your not running the show. Do you understand the ramification of tossing nuclear weapons around?
Agree, once that Pandora's Box opens, it won't be just China that has an afterglow.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 2:41:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I spend quite a bit of HK and have friends that live there, most everyone who lived there before the handover hates the CCP and mainlanders. I took this photo at the Remembrance Day ceremony at the Cenotaph a couple months ago. Most protest events these days feature the Union Jack and colonial flag.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/338306/Rem_Day_JPG-793773.JPG
View Quote
@Agent_Funky
Chris Patten: UK risks ''selling its honour'' on Hong Kong - BBC Newsnight
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 2:49:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Is Taiwan part of NATO or a protectorate of the USA?

Why are we always the worlds policeman?
View Quote
Because no one else will do it on the same scale.  But it needs to be done.  And to think we don't benefit from that is foolish.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 2:57:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Xi badly needs emotionally charged foreign policy stuff to rally the Chinese around so he doesn't have to talk about how fucked their economy is while justifying his ascension to emperor.  I think he'd welcome a cheap land war to both bind together and thin out the ranks a bit, but they're in a bad neighborhood for cheap, successful land wars.  An air and sea war against somebody semi-competent or better would be hyper expensive without getting enough cannon fodder killed, and would invite intervention and probable defeat by the Japanese and Americans.

But it wouldn't be the first time that rhetoric and pride and domestic politics led a cocky up and comer into a foreign policy cul-de-sac that he thought he had no choice but  to try to fight his out of.  So much of this is reminiscent of Japan-US in the late 30's.  The resentment, the rapidly rising empire hemmed in by greater powers, the incestuous relationship between the Chinese military and government pushing them along a confrontational path, the US slapping them down for pushing too far hoping for a logical reaction, the inability of the Chinese to fold a bad hand and negotiate in good faith.
View Quote
The party has the military.  The country doesn't.

That is going to make a whole bunch of socio-political effects like that.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 2:59:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Then thank god you aren't in charge of anything but fixing Kia's.

So let me get this straight.....you would be willing to kick off WWIII and instantly sacrifice millions of American lives and cities, our economy, basically our entire way of life and country as we know it for an attack against Taiwan?

That's beyond bat shit crazy and in no way a defensible or logical position.....
View Quote
So what then?

"peace in our time"?

"Why die for Danzig?"?

You have to do something you can't sit on your ass, the only difference from then and now is there is these things called nuclear weapons, if outright nuclear war can be prevented, then at least embargo or something, anything to deter them., at least now we're putting tariffs on their goods
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 3:04:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Re-read mine, parse each word
View Quote
Done.  Your argument is based solely off the official party line and not any objective evidence.  The term "socialist market economy" was first used during the 14th National Congress of the Communist Party of China in 1992 to describe the goal of China's economic reforms.  By their own words they are not communist despite not changing the party name.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 3:08:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I’m no geopolitical strategist, but neither are the bulk of other posters. It’s incredibly important on the world stage that our word is our bond, especially when it comes to people we say we protect. Whenever we leave them to the wolves we look like shit, and we’ve done that a good bit recently. Other groups see that. Both groups we claim to protect, and people that would do them harm. Once both see our word is no good, our international interests are going to falter.
View Quote

Ask the Kurds how well our "word is our bond".
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 3:25:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Ask the Kurds how well our "word is our bond".
View Quote
That's as well is another Monumental debacle to deal with
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 3:33:29 PM EDT
[#47]
... I'm just tired, tired of it all, I care far too much, what a ridiculous hell I'm forced to live in.

Big pony and I need to move out to the country.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 3:51:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
... I'm just tired, tired of it all, I care far too much, what a ridiculous hell I'm forced to live in.

Big pony and I need to move out to the country.
View Quote
You’ve been quoting a lot of people lately so I figure I’d do the same

“Welcome to the desert of the real”

“All the world’s a stage, and all the men and women merely players. They have their exits and their entrances, and one man in his time plays many parts”
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 3:59:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Trump https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3608137 The bill also reaffirms the U.S. position that cross-strait disputes must reach a "peaceful resolution acceptable to both sides of the Taiwan Strait."

Upon signing the Act Trump issued a statement declaring that his administration will commit to carrying out the provisions outlined in the ARIA Act which will see increased U.S. engagement across the Indo-Pacific.

"My Administration will treat these provisions consistent with the President's exclusive constitutional authorities as Commander in Chief and as the sole representative of the United States in foreign affairs," President Trump was quoted by CNA.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 4:02:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Rome was a Monarchy for the majority of its existance, not a republic.  It was a republic for only about 500 years and a Monarchy for 700.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Roman monarchy lasted from 753 BC to 509 BC. Please name the big, high casualty Roman war that occured during this time (hint: there isn't one).

The Roman monarchy was followed by the Roman Republic, and that is when the bloodlust began.

The Republic was followed by the Empire. If you are claiming the Roman Empire was a monarchy, you are sufficiently ignorant of the history of government structures that everything you say should be disregarded.

As time has progressed less people on average die throughout history.
From disease, yes.

From government actions like war, intentional starvation, execution and genocide? Hell no. Only a someone completely ignorant of the 20th century death toll would claim that.

People do not become better with time. Our tools and institutions become more efficient at murder with time though.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top