Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 3:55:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Biden should have said Taiwan alone gets to decide if, when, and how Taiwan joins with the mainland, and that the US is committed to supporting freedom for all people - freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of the press, freedom of assembly, freedom to protest and petition the government, independent judiciary, and the inherent right of self-determination. If China doesn't commit to supporting those principles, they can suck an egg.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

This debacle smells more and more like when the U.S. stalled on returning the German gold stored with ours.  Funny how the bars changed purity percentage (downward) while stored.   What did we do, drag it out 8 years from when it was demanded?
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 3:57:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
how would China take taiwan if taiwan fortified their island?

I mean, anti sub and ship mines, AA guns...arty...etc.

View Quote

U serious?

Taiwan is an island with a 1st world economy.  Easiest thing would be to blockade them and starve them into submission.  Failing that they can completely saturate the island with conventional ballistic and cruise missiles.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:00:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
Cruise and ballistic missiles hit air defenses, Air force establishes air dominance, Paratroops secure the harbor, RO/RO pull up, drop ramp, heavy shit rolls out.  Rinse and repeat as needed.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:02:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm pulling this out of my ass, but if I wanted to take over Taiwan I'd try pounding the fortifications down with a crapton of artillery and missiles fired off the coast. Then zerg rush with landing craft. Don't think it would be a very good plan but it's all I can think of. If all else fails, maybe nuke them and they'd surrender similar to WWII Japan? I don't think NATO would want to get involved in starting WW3 over a tiny island.

EDIT: It would look similar to Russia's invasion of Ukraine but with even less care about soldier's lives. I think Taiwan would run out of soldiers before China does.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pulling this out of my ass, but if I wanted to take over Taiwan I'd try pounding the fortifications down with a crapton of artillery and missiles fired off the coast. Then zerg rush with landing craft. Don't think it would be a very good plan but it's all I can think of. If all else fails, maybe nuke them and they'd surrender similar to WWII Japan? I don't think NATO would want to get involved in starting WW3 over a tiny island.

EDIT: It would look similar to Russia's invasion of Ukraine but with even less care about soldier's lives. I think Taiwan would run out of soldiers before China does.

That little island is where the chips that all out best tech uses come from. If China captures the fabs it will boost their tech while emasculating our own MIC.  They cannot afford to let Taiwan fall.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:02:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Biden should have said Taiwan alone gets to decide if, when, and how Taiwan joins with the mainland, and that the US is committed to supporting freedom for all people - freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of the press, freedom of assembly, freedom to protest and petition the government, independent judiciary, and the inherent right of self-determination. If China doesn't commit to supporting those principles, they can suck an egg.
View Quote

Amen  
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:04:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Should have never played nice with the commies.  And CERTAINLY should have never removed the real China from the permanent security council seat.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:04:48 PM EDT
[#8]
We should threaten to halt all Buick exports to them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:05:27 PM EDT
[#9]
This is another case where we need to be in or out.  Either we are in, and we basically turn Taiwan into SK, or we are out and we spend our time and efforts replacing both China and Taiwan in our economy.

Half measures in either direction will be a disaster.

I think we have a good group of allies in the region and we should take option A.  The asian economy will be wrecked wholesale if China takes taiwan.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#10]
The response should have been a cold look straight in the eyes with the comment: “you can try.” Then stand up and walk out of the meeting.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:10:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The importance of Taiwanese chips is probably enough to drag in the US, but Japanese trade lanes are proper fucked if the Chinese Navy can turn Taiwan into a base, so they're very likely to join the fighting if Taiwan is at risk but not immediately defeated.  The US is even more probably in if Japan is in, but if Taiwan/Japan hold their own initially the US might attempt half measures with another proxy war, try to avoid direct combat.  That's the way we roll.

Could go something like:

Massive surprise Chinese missile attack on Taiwan
Chinese invasion fleet is probably not particularly competent, gets mauled, turns back
China declares blockade, begins attritional bombing campaign
US dithers, but promises support for Japan
JMSDF engages PLAN to break blockade, US forces based in Japan limited to more or less defensive role
If Taiwan/JMSDF wins at sea, war peters out.  If Taiwan/JMSDF gets rekt, US either 1) engages directly and the PLAN is rekt in open sea but the USN can't approach the Chinese mainland and they have too many factories to cruise missile them all and the war peters out in a counter-blockade and five year global economic shitstorm, or 2) US sells out Taiwan (and Japan) for peace in our time and the second invasion fleet succeeds in taking Taiwan, China cripples Japan within a decade, yadayada Pearl Harbor II, WWIII 2035.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What I wonder is if China goes after Taiwan if the US will be drawn into war.  With out current involvement with Taiwan, I'm afraid that would be the case.
The importance of Taiwanese chips is probably enough to drag in the US, but Japanese trade lanes are proper fucked if the Chinese Navy can turn Taiwan into a base, so they're very likely to join the fighting if Taiwan is at risk but not immediately defeated.  The US is even more probably in if Japan is in, but if Taiwan/Japan hold their own initially the US might attempt half measures with another proxy war, try to avoid direct combat.  That's the way we roll.

Could go something like:

Chinese invasion fleet is probably not particularly competent, gets mauled, turns back
JMSDF engages PLAN to break blockade, US forces based in Japan limited to more or less defensive role
If Taiwan/JMSDF wins at sea, war peters out.  If Taiwan/JMSDF gets rekt, US either 1) engages directly and the PLAN is rekt in open sea but the USN can't approach the Chinese mainland and they have too many factories to cruise missile them all and the war peters out in a counter-blockade and five year global economic shitstorm, or 2) US sells out Taiwan (and Japan) for peace in our time and the second invasion fleet succeeds in taking Taiwan, China cripples Japan within a decade, yadayada Pearl Harbor II, WWIII 2035.

Before he was assassinated, Shinzo Abe said a Chinese invasion of Taiwan was an existential threat to Japan and they would act accordingly, and they expected the US to get balls deep in with them.

If we screw Taiwan/Japan I would expect our alliance with Japan would end, we’d be kicked out and Japan would suddenly become a nuclear power and work to form an alliance with other states that don’t want to be Chinese client states that we will not be invited to join.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:10:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

If we didn't have a dementia-addled pedo as POTUS, a real POTUS would have "bluntly told Xi" that mainland China will be re-integrated with Taiwan under the legitimate government headquartered in Taiwan. And, followed up by a comment along the lines of the CCP is a terrorist organization that will be eliminated by the legitimate government of China and the only way Xi avoids swinging from a lamppost is to facilitate the transition to the democratic republic located in Taiwan.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:11:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Could go something like:

View Quote

I have repeatedly predicted here that China's first move will be a massive missile attack on the chip fabs in addition to strikes on military targets.  The Chinese know they will not be able to take these chip fabs intact.  However, by destroying them, China will reduce the U.S. incentive to defend Taiwan.  What would follow would be a blockade of Taiwan by China, either initiated immediately or after a short period of time, maybe even a year or two.

I would remind those here of China's response to COVID, which was to shut down internal travel but to invite the infected to travel throughout the world.  Similarly, China is undergoing an economic contagion right now that (the breadth of which the West in general fails to understand) which it will need to spread around the world lest it be at a competitive disadvantage.  This can be done by eliminating much of the worlds semiconductor manufacturing and nearly all of the most advanced semiconductor production through attacking Taiwan. While China wants to achieve victory in Taiwan politically and not militarily, the economic misery that will prevail in China for at least the next five years makes that absolutely impractical.

Also, just like an embargo of the key goods at the time of WWII, oil and steel, caused action by Japan, so will the U.S.'s embargo of advanced chips to China (particularly with regards to AI) cause the same result.  Please note that I support this embargo, but we do need to be aware of the consequences.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:13:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This is another case where we need to be in or out.  Either we are in, and we basically turn Taiwan into SK, or we are out and we spend our time and efforts replacing both China and Taiwan in our economy.

I think we have a good group of allies in the region and we should take option A.  The asian economy will be wrecked wholesale if China takes taiwan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

As long as we all understand that Option A will most certainly be bloody for everyone involved. I'm in agreeance with you, but we should be ready (and willing) to employ nukes as a result.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Preparing the moronic American public for a war with China to further the interests of the ultra wealthy elites.

I don't doubt that China will try to take Taiwan. I doubt that the coming war with China is an organic thing. I bet the outcome has already been struck in deals made and being made right now.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Biologic warfare.  Commies don't give a fuck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Biologic warfare.  Commies don't give a fuck.

They'd probably prefer that route. Then they have their own commies move in and enjoy all the free buildings and infrastructure.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:18:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well China we will flatten your cities, so you decide if it's worth it.
View Quote

lol.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:18:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

It’ll be a battle of attrition.  China wins.  Everytime.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#19]
this is a long time coming

we will not fight when they take taiwan

clown world will continue to get more clownier.

Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:19:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:19:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I have repeatedly predicted here that China's first move will be a massive missile attack on the chip fabs in addition to strikes on military targets.  The Chinese know they will not be able to take these chip fabs intact.  However, by destroying them, China will reduce the U.S. incentive to defend Taiwan.  What would follow would be a blockade of Taiwan by China, either initiated immediately or after a short period of time, maybe even a year or two.

I would remind those here of China's response to COVID, which was to shut down internal travel but to invite the infected to travel throughout the world.  Similarly, China is undergoing an economic contagion right now that (the breadth of which the West in general fails to understand) which it will need to spread around the world lest it be at a competitive disadvantage.  This can be done by eliminating much of the worlds semiconductor manufacturing and nearly all of the most advanced semiconductor production through attacking Taiwan. While China wants to achieve victory in Taiwan politically and not militarily, the economic misery that will prevail in China for at least the next five years makes that absolutely impractical.

Also, just like an embargo of the key goods at the time of WWII, oil and steel, caused action by Japan, so will the U.S.'s embargo of advanced chips to China (particularly with regards to AI) cause the same result.  Please note that I support this embargo, but we do need to be aware of the consequences.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could go something like:

The chips embargo is not as effective as in WW2 when we embargoed Japan of oil and resources. China is still getting the chips and gpus through third party countries that are not banned by the US
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

U serious?

Taiwan is an island with a 1st world economy.  Easiest thing would be to blockade them and starve them into submission.  Failing that they can completely saturate the island with conventional ballistic and cruise missiles.
View Quote

The only way that Taiwan could defend itself is through nuclear weapons.  Incidentally, China is a declared nuclear power, which is a very interesting fact when it is considered that Taiwan is ostensibly a part of China.  It almost is as if a solution suggests itself.  Let's see if China wants to trade Beijing for Taiwan.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:22:07 PM EDT
[#23]

It irritates me a lot. The MIC is acting like we're still in the 1990s, living in Peace Dividend times. From my outsider perspective anyway.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:24:31 PM EDT
[#24]
And we will hand over Taiwan gladly. Something something taiwain corruption, both china and taiwan pee pee po poo
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:26:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Naw. China won't invade.

China is a house of cards. Even more than us. The interruption of oil and food would collapse their system. Saber rattling is all they'll do. It's mainly for domestic consumption.

One thing everybody knows about the Chinese is that they'll spy for money in a hearbeat. That'll go both ways. I'd bet the CIA has some high up guys in China on their payroll waiting on tickets to the land of the big PX. I think we'd know about a build-up way before it happens and that'd give Navy time to reposition. Their carrier killers won't be.

Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:27:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The chips embargo is not as effective as in WW2 when we embargoed Japan of oil and resources. China is still getting the chips and gpus through third party countries that are not banned by the US
View Quote

China is getting a trickle of AI chips relative to what it would like.  Also, of note, the Secretary of Commerce told Nvidia that the U.S. would ban any AI chip that Nvidia made for the Chinese market.  The battle over chips has heated up immensely in the last month or two.

Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Bluntly?

How about,he was just advising?
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:28:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Naw. China won't invade.

China is a house of cards. Even more than us. The interruption of oil and food would collapse their system. Saber rattling is all they'll do. It's mainly for domestic consumption.

One thing everybody knows about the Chinese is that they'll spy for money in a hearbeat. That'll go both ways. I'd bet the CIA has some high up guys in China on their payroll waiting on tickets to the land of the big PX. I think we'd know about a build-up way before it happens and that'd give Navy time to reposition. Their carrier killers won't be.

View Quote

China has been stockpiling food, oil, and commodities IMMENSELY for the past few years.  This is a sign of an impending conflict.  China knows its vulnerabilities.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:29:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Cruise and ballistic missiles hit air defenses, Air force establishes air dominance, Paratroops secure the harbor, RO/RO pull up, drop ramp, heavy shit rolls out.  Rinse and repeat as needed.
View Quote

If the Taiwanese are half as tenacious as Ukrainians. They could quickly cut off any airborne force dropped in.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:35:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
No we won't. We'll do fuck all.

Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:38:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Are they training the Taiwan Ass Bandits yet?
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:39:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My response would have been ...

" What about their nuclear weapons?"

Mic drop
View Quote
Well maybe we would use ours to defend Taiwan but if we did, you know they'd use theirs
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:41:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

By signed legislation, yes. That's not to say that the particular statute can't be repealed. It can be, if the US chooses to.

https://www.congress.gov/96/statute/STATUTE-93/STATUTE-93-Pg14.pdf

https://i.imgur.com/t9LUjwh.png
https://i.imgur.com/vq4FE5F.png

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What I wonder is if China goes after Taiwan if the US will be drawn into war.  With out current involvement with Taiwan, I'm afraid that would be the case.

By signed legislation, yes. That's not to say that the particular statute can't be repealed. It can be, if the US chooses to.

https://www.congress.gov/96/statute/STATUTE-93/STATUTE-93-Pg14.pdf

https://i.imgur.com/t9LUjwh.png
https://i.imgur.com/vq4FE5F.png

Problem is, we gave away all that shit to Ukr
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It irritates me a lot. The MIC is acting like we're still in the 1990s, living in Peace Dividend times. From my outsider perspective anyway.
View Quote

Pretty much but to be fair it’s a reflection of Congress / Presidents and voters since 1992 Americans have a long history of gutting their military after wars hence we get the Task Force Smith
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:44:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Had the opportunity to nuke China 70 years ago....only thing MacArthur was ever right about
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thank you, good points.  China performing a global economy murder-suicide is a real possibility.

Possible de-incentivization pre invasion bombing if China despairs at capturing the fabs
If Taiwan is falling the Taiwanese would probably blow the chip fabs themselves
If the Taiwanese don't the US probably will bomb them
If the Taiwanese are winning the spiteful last act of the Chinese would be to bomb them

Thus the chip fabs are almost certainly toast if there's a war, regardless of outcome.  They're toast if there's anything more dramatic than a bloodless two hour coup.  Plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Biden probably just stared blankly with his mouth open! Blinking!

Thinking? Where am I and who are these people!

Before digging into his bowl of ice cream.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That little island is where the chips that all out best tech uses come from. If China captures the fabs it will boost their tech while emasculating our own MIC.  They cannot afford to let Taiwan fall.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really true, Taiwan is actually behind China in chip manufacture. S Korea is Number 1, China 2 Taiwan 3
My son works for a company that makes chip implanters. Has done so for the last 8 years. He travels to Asia to set up these machines in the FAB.
He has been to S. Korea 14 times, China 8, Taiwan 2, Germany 2, Utah 1. That means out of the 27 machines they sold (that he was involved with China bough about 30%).

FYI there are only a handful of companies who make these. Most are in the states. Only 1 is in Japan.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fixed fortifications are a monument to the stupidity of man.

- George Patton
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

You really think so?
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:49:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You really think so?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You really think so?

We will nuke the ghost cities
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Maybe we can get Rodman to fuck him as well if we pay him enough.

I'll bet Kim would give him a reference too. Lol
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:51:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

- George Patton
View Quote

“A ships a fool that fights a fort”
Lord Admiral Nelson
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:51:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Attachment Attached File

Current joe Biden picture.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:53:38 PM EDT
[#45]

The piffifications of that are unreal. Dubious AF
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

- George Patton
View Quote
That was a propaganda quote to reporters as the Allies prepared to attack Germany through the Hurtgen Forest/Siegfried Line.  Turned into the longest battle in US Army history, which the Germans won.  The defenses held and inflicted disproportionate losses until the German Ardennes Offensive failed, leaving them exhausted.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 4:58:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Probably start with a blockade and a shit ton of short range missiles to starve their economy and take out their defenses. Then send in the anti mine crews. And a few hundred thousand troops.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Not really true, Taiwan is actually behind China in chip manufacture. S Korea is Number 1, China 2 Taiwan 3
My son works for a company that makes chip implanters. Has done so for the last 8 years. He travels to Asia to set up these machines in the FAB.
He has been to S. Korea 14 times, China 8, Taiwan 2, Germany 2, Utah 1. That means out of the 27 machines they sold (that he was involved with China bough about 30%).

FYI there are only a handful of companies who make these. Most are in the states. Only 1 is in Japan.
View Quote

China makes older less complicated chips, South Korea and Taiwan make the advanced chips. You’re mixing products and technologies up.

Netherlands is also a big player in the industry

https://www.forbes.com/sites/katharinabuchholz/2023/01/13/advanced-microchip-production-relies-on-taiwan/amp/
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 5:10:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
That was a propaganda quote to reporters as the Allies prepared to attack Germany through the Hurtgen Forest/Siegfried Line.  Turned into the longest battle in US Army history, which the Germans won.  The defenses held and inflicted disproportionate losses until the German Ardennes Offensive failed, leaving them exhausted.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- George Patton

You can find many examples of fixed defenses being completely useless in military history.

With modern technology and Taiwans specific circumstances, who knows for sure,  but they could only hold out so long against a full Chinese invasion force without constant resupply as they are a relatively tiny isolated island.

Also,  couldn't China just blockade them for as long it takes to force a surrender with no actual combat?
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Taiwan doesn't have much for fortifications. What they have going for them is they are a mountainous island that is naturally difficult to attack.
They do have quite a few hidden tunnels with weapons, so there is that.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top