Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 8:40:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A strong US President would then sell Taiwan some top notch US military equipment for their own defense against China.
View Quote

Come next year the USA will owe Taiwan close to 40 billion in weapons sales
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 8:45:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Taiwan is not the major provider.
FYI TSMC has 2 FABS in mainland China, One in The US out of 12 total.
All Taiwan Semi companies have FABs in mainland China

View Quote

Those in China do no manufacture 5nm or 3 nm. China currently boasts a domestic break of 7nm. China makes old tech, South Korea and Taiwan provide new shit. I find it strange that you’re trying to characterize China as a leader in microchips. No nation - Germany, Netherlands, Britain, USA, Japan or anyone shares what you’re describing. No authority subject matter experts such as Chris Miller agree with what you’re claiming

From the pro China newspaper SCMP:

https://amp.scmp.com/tech/tech-war/article/3236528/chinese-chip-making-lack-advanced-lithography-systems-becomes-focal-point-wake-huaweis-breakthrough

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/20/2023 8:48:03 PM EDT
[#3]
stock market will take a huge hit whenever this happens, china controlling most of the worlds chips is not good
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 8:54:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Biden should have said Taiwan alone gets to decide if, when, and how Taiwan joins with the mainland, and that the US is committed to supporting freedom for all people - freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of the press, freedom of assembly, freedom to protest and petition the government, independent judiciary, and the inherent right of self-determination. If China doesn't commit to supporting those principles, they can suck an egg.
View Quote

biden doesn't even support those things
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 8:55:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well China we will flatten your cities, so you decide if it's worth it.
View Quote

Pedo Joe won't do shit about it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 8:56:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well China we will flatten your cities, so you decide if it's worth it.
View Quote

Will we though?
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 8:59:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
how would China take taiwan if taiwan fortified their island?

I mean, anti sub and ship mines, AA guns...arty...etc.

View Quote

China doesn't care if it ends up a meat grinder, they've got a lot of disgruntled, lonely, military-age men with zero prospects of ever having families that the government wouldn't mind losing.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Naw. China won't invade.

China is a house of cards. Even more than us. The interruption of oil and food would collapse their system. Saber rattling is all they'll do. It's mainly for domestic consumption.

One thing everybody knows about the Chinese is that they'll spy for money in a hearbeat. That'll go both ways. I'd bet the CIA has some high up guys in China on their payroll waiting on tickets to the land of the big PX. I think we'd know about a build-up way before it happens and that'd give Navy time to reposition. Their carrier killers won't be.
View Quote

If I recall correctly, US Humint in China was sold out some years back. They were never easy to penetrate in the first place, and our assets got wrecked. Was it the Snowden affair? I forget who did it, but we have less intel on China than we've ever had on anyone. IIRC.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 9:53:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Good.  US ain't going to do shit.  Remember, US signed official agreement affirming Taiwan is part of China back in the days?  Or does that agreement matters no more?  Just like the promise to the Russians back in the 1980's of "not an inch eastwards".
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 10:06:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If I recall correctly, US Humint in China was sold out some years back. They were never easy to penetrate in the first place, and our assets got wrecked. Was it the Snowden affair? I forget who did it, but we have less intel on China than we've ever had on anyone. IIRC.
View Quote

https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/08/15/botched-cia-communications-system-helped-blow-cover-chinese-agents-intelligence/
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 10:50:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Ahhh, China threads in GD are such a treasure. So much doom and gloom
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 11:09:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ahhh, China threads in GD are such a treasure. So much doom and gloom
View Quote

Don’t forget people pontificating on topics they know nothing about.
The TRUE hallmark of GD Arfcom.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 11:10:37 PM EDT
[#14]
96 hours
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 11:18:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I vote for an overwhelming nuclear first strike.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 11:25:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Biden is a weak, spineless dementia ridden pedo who projects zero strength.

Xi will do whatever the fuck he wants and knows the US won't do shit.
View Quote

That Blinken character is a candy ass too.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 11:38:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Idk enough about Chinese navy to make much of an educated comment, but I don't think they've got the assets for that.

Anyone more knowledgeable care to chime in?

I'm gonna look up what Taiwanese ports are the busiest too now that I'm interested
View Quote

1.  They don’t need a massive fleet of naval warships, just enough for a beachhead, and to capture some ports. China has a massive merchant fleet that could haul troops and supplies.

2.  Chinese Air superiority would be a given without American air support.  Given the distances it would be a massive undertaking to support Taiwan if they were under full assault given the distances in the region.

3.  Bad news for china is that there’s only a few good spots to make an amphibious landing, and Taiwan has those fortified. Lots of artillery would make for a pretty bloody invasion.

4.  Japan, SK, Australia, the Philippines, and the US all have a major interest in preventing this.  Let’s not forget the entire western world gets more advanced computer chips from Taiwan than they get oil from Saudi Arabia.

5. Big unknown how many Taiwanese would rather remain independent or embrace their new Chinese overlords.

6.  Big unknown if the Chinese could actually pull off an invasion. Russia has more war fighting experience than china and they still can’t pull off a victory vs Ukraine across flat land. Amphibious ops are much more complicated and dangerous.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 11:38:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Basically yes.

Democrats do not understand that you can't run foreign policy with authoritarian dictators, like you do domestic policy. They don't care about bad PR, getting cancelled, mean words on twitter, CNN headlines. They're way out of their league 'negotiating' with these guys like Xi and Putin.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/21/2023 1:55:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So a lot of that money went to a company Biden used as an example (don't remember which but I could look it up)
That same company already had plans to build a new FAB with non-taxpayer money
After they got taxpayer guarantees of if I remember 20billion, they delayed the project indefinitely.
Kind of like 123 solar. Got money from Obama and left for China
View Quote

I've read a few articles now from within the last month that indicate otherwise. Including this one. Seems some companies had plans already to expand, and some are expanding because of the incentive.

https://www.electronicsweekly.com/news/business/has-the-us-chips-act-been-a-success-2023-12/
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 2:08:12 AM EDT
[#20]
We should have space-based kinetic weapons. Maybe lasso a few minor asteroids. Need that barbarian energy of just dropping a rock on someone.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 2:09:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 2:13:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That is my take as well, they are living well and not preparing for the coming storm.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It irritates me a lot. The MIC is acting like we're still in the 1990s, living in Peace Dividend times. From my outsider perspective anyway.
That is my take as well, they are living well and not preparing for the coming storm.

It's ramping up. There are several issues preventing immediate and apparent progress. Fiscal years and planning. Shit that happens this year was probably planned last year, using the information available then. Going from 5 of something to 50 of something, or however you want to scale it, is difficult if historically the expectation has been 5. Introducing the capability, expanding the infrastructure whatever to increase production will take time. This trickles down too. Not only are you expecting 10x final product, but every source of material to fab it is getting hammered with increased demand. Now that next link that provides the prime with materials is taking additional time to up their production, a year after the requirement was funded.

It's ramping. I doubt we will see anything substantial before 2025 though. Some surprises exist, like the Coyote C-UAS system that the Army funded. Expected delivery FY25, so essentially calendar year 2026 will be first deliveries, and the contract goes to 2029 for full delivery of the order.

Now imagine if the war in Ukraine didn't happen and this expansion started only after China started a war with the United States.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 2:30:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Here's a good video on the Chinese Navy and the Taiwan war scenarios:
Why the US is NOT afraid of the largest Navy in the world, yet
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 2:33:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Here's another one from the US Naval Institute that is a bit more dry and technical:
The Decline of Russia and China
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 3:24:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
how would China take taiwan if taiwan fortified their island?

I mean, anti sub and ship mines, AA guns...arty...etc.

View Quote

"Elections".  Much cheaper and even has the collateral benefit of many retards still believing "it was someone else's fault that they lost, but they will primary the opposition out next time."

Link Posted: 12/21/2023 3:30:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Which  is why the US has been more hawkish than ever before right? LOL
View Quote

Hawkish? What are you talking about?

Pulling out of Afghanistan? Slow walking aid to Ukraine? (Compare it to the help we sent Israel during Yom Kippur). Letting the Houthis shut down global shipping lanes without response? Telling the Israelis to have a ceasefire? Letting our troops be attacked by Iranian proxies a hundred times and our response is to occasionally hit an empty warehouse?
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 3:37:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Fuck China
View Quote

Yeah, that'll do it. Just like the people that say fuck cancer, has or will that ever stop anything you don't like from happening?

Realize the position we are in and prepare accordingly, that's all you can do for either.

May as well say fuck gravity, oxygen or some other stupid shit.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 4:31:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A strong US President would then sell Taiwan some top notch US military equipment for their own defense against China.

Maybe China wants to wait for those arms deliveries to Taiwan before they annex them. This admin is bluntly stupid enough to enable that plan.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 4:59:21 AM EDT
[#29]
in 2023 the CSIS did war games on this and in 24 out of 24 scenarios the US Navy and their allies beat China's navy and protect Taiwan but the US Navy also loses 2 supercarriers (and all the 5000 soldiers and 60-90 aircraft per carrier) in 24 out of 24 scenarios:
https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4775256

This is because the US has 2 supercarriers within the Chinese coast strike range at all times, they know where they are, and can overwhelm the carrier strike group's missile defense magazines. This brings the full gravity of the US Navy, air force, and it's allies into the fight but at tremendous losses. China probably will even attack Guam... and remember Hawaii wasn't a state before Pearl Harbor.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 5:31:41 AM EDT
[#30]
If Xi thinks Taiwan would "surrender" to China peacefully then why not "surrender" to the USA instead.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 7:41:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It's ramping up. There are several issues preventing immediate and apparent progress. Fiscal years and planning. Shit that happens this year was probably planned last year, using the information available then. Going from 5 of something to 50 of something, or however you want to scale it, is difficult if historically the expectation has been 5. Introducing the capability, expanding the infrastructure whatever to increase production will take time. This trickles down too. Not only are you expecting 10x final product, but every source of material to fab it is getting hammered with increased demand. Now that next link that provides the prime with materials is taking additional time to up their production, a year after the requirement was funded.

It's ramping. I doubt we will see anything substantial before 2025 though. Some surprises exist, like the Coyote C-UAS system that the Army funded. Expected delivery FY25, so essentially calendar year 2026 will be first deliveries, and the contract goes to 2029 for full delivery of the order.

Now imagine if the war in Ukraine didn't happen and this expansion started only after China started a war with the United States.
View Quote
That's the one positive I see from the Ukraine situation.  It have us more runway to get production up to speed.  Of course we'll dick it up politically somehow.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 10:12:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That's the one positive I see from the Ukraine situation.  It have us more runway to get production up to speed.  Of course we'll dick it up politically somehow.
View Quote

Of course.

If budgets don't get passed by congress then it all stalls out, if a CR is being passed long enough then planned acquisitions just have to be moved to the following FY. I think that is the largest risk, followed by inappropriate acquisitions. I don't know yet how the Navy makes decisions, but sometimes it feels like they have kindergartners deciding what weapon systems we should procure.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 10:14:51 AM EDT
[#33]
BS

I seriously doubt that ever happened.

Put the sanctions currently on Russia on China and Xi is long gone.

China cannot feed, fuel, or power itself without massive imports.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 1:12:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Possible when the USA is weak, in decline, compromised and behind..

The world will no longer respect or fear the USA and adversaries and others will take full advantage of the global power restructuring.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 12:28:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

@Zoinks always told me "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence." Honestly I have no idea, the bottlenecks could be due to the pandemic that didn't subside until 2022 and it the labor issues we have or poor planning or prioritizing certain shared components for Ukraine. At this time I can say with certainty anything but Taiwan is buying 19 billion MORE weapons from us in 2024 on top of the past 19 billion owed. Unless China never attacks or takes it's sweet time, this doesn't bode well and due to air defense shortage now Japan may end up assisting Ukraine because our own air defense situation for Patriots is I adequate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@CarmelBytheSea

The question is, Do you think the weapons delay is intentional?

@Zoinks always told me "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence." Honestly I have no idea, the bottlenecks could be due to the pandemic that didn't subside until 2022 and it the labor issues we have or poor planning or prioritizing certain shared components for Ukraine. At this time I can say with certainty anything but Taiwan is buying 19 billion MORE weapons from us in 2024 on top of the past 19 billion owed. Unless China never attacks or takes it's sweet time, this doesn't bode well and due to air defense shortage now Japan may end up assisting Ukraine because our own air defense situation for Patriots is I adequate.
Thank you, Brother Carmel, for the opportunity! LOL (I can't find your politics thread, so I'm @ you in the Taiwan thread later.)

Anyway, it is hard to say what is exactly going on with any of the weapon systems manufacturing in this Country as a whole. DOD isn't getting their orders in on time or on budget as well.

That's going to have a cascading effect in any weapons that were supposed to be transferred from US hands to other countries, for example. Everything is pretty much a fuckin' mess as it relates to manufacturing in this country as a whole. The Clinton years was all about "off-shoring," but those Obama years really changed everything.

As the question is specifically asked of Taiwan, I will say with 100% surety that it's very convenient for the Biden Admin to be able to say "sure, we sell weapons to them...that'll take years to deliver!" This way they can placate the PRC while showing the less powerful Countries that the US can have their backs...sort of.

Saudi Arabia has already started buying weapons from the Euros and the Russians due to its lack of trust of the US. I expect more Countries to do the same to do the same especially if there's another dem in the White House. I would figure that Taiwan would like to do the same as the Saudis, but they don't have the money or clout like the Saudis do to make a deal with the Europeans and risk the petty anger of the US.

Link Posted: 12/22/2023 12:35:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#38]
That has to be one of the more punchable faces I've seen lately.

Link Posted: 1/2/2024 2:52:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
in 2023 the CSIS did war games on this and in 24 out of 24 scenarios the US Navy and their allies beat China's navy and protect Taiwan but the US Navy also loses 2 supercarriers (and all the 5000 soldiers and 60-90 aircraft per carrier) in 24 out of 24 scenarios:
https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4775256

This is because the US has 2 supercarriers within the Chinese coast strike range at all times, they know where they are, and can overwhelm the carrier strike group's missile defense magazines. This brings the full gravity of the US Navy, air force, and it's allies into the fight but at tremendous losses. China probably will even attack Guam... and remember Hawaii wasn't a state before Pearl Harbor.
View Quote

Kinda pointless exercise. If we have two carriers sunk we are destroying all Chinese military infrastructure….not just navy (aka Nukes fly).
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 4:48:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Kinda pointless exercise. If we have two carriers sunk we are destroying all Chinese military infrastructure….not just navy (aka Nukes fly).
View Quote

Maybe. Maybe not. But the Chinese know this and "Rear Admiral Lou Yuan has told an audience in Shenzhen that the ongoing disputes over the ownership of the East and South China Seas could be resolved by sinking two US super carriers." "'What the United States fears the most is taking casualties,' Admiral Lou declared. He said the loss of one super carrier would cost the US the lives of 5000 service men and women. Sinking two would double that toll. 'We'll see how frightened America is.'"

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/sink-two-aircraft-carriers-chinese-admirals-chilling-recipe-to-dominate-the-south-china-sea/HO5JSM3GSEYPF43NXV3BOJTR3E/

So, clearly our deterrence posture hasn't deterred all military minds in China.  They also would likely attack Guam, and remember Hawaii/Pear Harbor wasn't a state before getting attacked.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 7:34:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Those in China do no manufacture 5nm or 3 nm. China currently boasts a domestic break of 7nm. China makes old tech, South Korea and Taiwan provide new shit. I find it strange that you’re trying to characterize China as a leader in microchips. No nation - Germany, Netherlands, Britain, USA, Japan or anyone shares what you’re describing. No authority subject matter experts such as Chris Miller agree with what you’re claiming.

View Quote

Absolutely 100% correct.

It's been proven China cannot make the top of the line microchips.

Reason #5 they will never physically invade. Their economy depends on Taiwan's chips as much as anybody else.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 5:10:34 PM EDT
[#43]
“There’s Potential For A World War” Former NATO Commander On Potential Of Totalitarian Regimes
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 6:01:04 PM EDT
[#44]

Thanks for posting this, CarmelBytheSea. A solid and highly relevant analysis. I can't disagree with the former NATO commander's opinion.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 7:34:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
DPP is the one that Xi doesn't want to win correct?
View Quote
Correct
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/taiwan-presidential-election-results-china-polls-trfkffvl2

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 8:00:53 AM EDT
[#49]
How does the election work?  Simple most votes wins or does one have to get over 50%?  Likely requiring a runoff.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 8:20:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
How does the election work?  Simple most votes wins or does one have to get over 50%?  Likely requiring a runoff.
View Quote

Most votes
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top