Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 6:10:39 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Any US Fast Battleship would have handled the Bismark easily, and the Yamato slightly less easily.

The Iowa's were the best of them, but from a Fire-Control standpoint... It's not close.  We'd be getting hits in numbers and at ranges neither the Japanese nor the Germans could even dream of.  

Yamato at least has the advantage that her shells would hurt more than ours would.  Bismark doesn't even have that.

(If Tirpitz would have come out while Washington was operating with the UK's fleet in '42, it would have saved the Brits a -lot- of trouble)
View Quote

Not true. The Mark VIIs/50 cals on the Iowa could actually punch harder then the Yamato's 18" guns.

Link Posted: 8/6/2013 6:11:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
 In every case of a surface action involving those units, RN victory was only achieved by use of overwhelming numbers.

View Quote

There may be a lesson here.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 6:15:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Not true. The Mark VIIs/50 cals on the Iowa could actually punch harder then the Yamato's 18" guns.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any US Fast Battleship would have handled the Bismark easily, and the Yamato slightly less easily.

The Iowa's were the best of them, but from a Fire-Control standpoint... It's not close.  We'd be getting hits in numbers and at ranges neither the Japanese nor the Germans could even dream of.  

Yamato at least has the advantage that her shells would hurt more than ours would.  Bismark doesn't even have that.

(If Tirpitz would have come out while Washington was operating with the UK's fleet in '42, it would have saved the Brits a -lot- of trouble)

yep, higher velocity and better designed shells. I think that point is getting missed here, it's not just the guns, it's also the shells that dictate the effectiveness of the weapon system.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 6:21:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In every case of a surface action involving those units, RN victory was only achieved by use of overwhelming numbers.

LOL

Link Posted: 8/6/2013 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
<snip>
Still, with the last test, even though the round didn't fully penetrate, it still holed the armor. Now imagine what would have happened if it had an explosive charge too. Spalling would have most likely occurred making the turret an very unpleasant place to be.

And that was the thickest part of the Yamato-class' armor!
View Quote

I read an analysis somewhere to the effect that the Yamato class armor wasn't very good metallurgically.  I think it said in essence that it was WW I grade even though it was very thick (Krupp cemented?  not sure).

In any case, the turret face was thicker than any other armor on the ship so it seems pretty clear that the Yamatos weren't proof against 16" AP from an Iowa.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 6:35:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That isn't really true... The Yamato had various radars, including several for gunnery use. She also had a fire control computer which could work off the radar.

That said, both her radar, and the fire control computer were vastly inferior to ours, and would have had great difficulty making hits at distances that were, comparatively, easy for us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Without digging out my book on WW II battleships, didn't the Yamato have 18-inch guns?

Doesn't do you much good to have big guns when your radar and fire control are outclassed.

No radar on the Japanese ship.

Missouri probably could have taken both on at the same time and STILL won.

Axis ship's first clue that we were anywhere around would be when 16"AP rounds started dropping on them form high arc trajectories.

The chance of them getting an accurate shot off with optical systems at a ship that was BVR is negligible.

Nick

That isn't really true... The Yamato had various radars, including several for gunnery use. She also had a fire control computer which could work off the radar.

That said, both her radar, and the fire control computer were vastly inferior to ours, and would have had great difficulty making hits at distances that were, comparatively, easy for us.

I did not know that.

Thanks for the schooling!

Nick
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It would have easily handled the Fuso and Kongo classes - so long as the Japanese could be restrained from slinging those Long Lances around - as the class had a torpedo defense scheme in name only.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well we strayed a little from the original three ships so I will ask this other than the Yamato class, how would the Alaska class battle cruisers have done against any remaining Japanese battleship?

It would have easily handled the Fuso and Kongo classes - so long as the Japanese could be restrained from slinging those Long Lances around - as the class had a torpedo defense scheme in name only.

I'm actually a little doubtful about the ability of the Alaska class to go head to head with something like Fuso or Kongo.  They seem a little on the lightweight side for me in terms of guns and armor...

I really wish we had completed the Montanas.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 6:55:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm actually a little doubtful about the ability of the Alaska class to go head to head with something like Fuso or Kongo.  They seem a little on the lightweight side for me in terms of guns and armor...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well we strayed a little from the original three ships so I will ask this other than the Yamato class, how would the Alaska class battle cruisers have done against any remaining Japanese battleship?

that would have been pretty cool.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 7:51:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We would have been better off completing the rest of Iowa's.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 8:01:09 PM EDT
[#10]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What if we put nuke reactors in the Iowa's?  

Nice try.

Would have had no effect other than range at speed.  

Fuel was a consideration for the BBs but it wasn't something that hobbled them.

Increased storage for ammo and consumables would be worthwhile.

On a nuke powered vessel,  at-sea endurance is limited by human tolerance of being cooped up on board the stinking boat,
food supplies (always available via unrep), and consumables needed by other ship's systems.  Lubricating oils being a prime concern,
but also suitable for unrep.   (That's Underway Replenishment)

If you had a crew that never got cabin fever and wanted to stay on the boat indefinitely,  there's no reason that a nuclear powered
vessel would have to return to port at all until it needed nuclear refueling or something broke that could not be repaired at sea.

Or, underway replenishment of particularly heavy consumables wasn't possible.  

I have no idea if the 16" shells could be replenished underway.   Something tells me that it was probably something that would
only be attempted under calm seas and with the supply ship moored to the recipient,  and transferred by crane.

Certainly you wouldn't be replacing gun barrels at sea.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yffII9kdOwI

Holy shit!  Moving two 16" projectiles with a pallet jack on a rolling deck is not my idea of safe.  Sounds like a great way to get maimed or killed.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 9:09:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get BOTH!
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 10:00:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Get BOTH!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get BOTH!

I'll admit that twelve 16" guns and a twenty 54 caliber 5" guns makes the Montana really stand out for fire support.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 4:13:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'll admit that twelve 16" guns and a twenty 54 caliber 5" guns makes the Montana really stand out for fire support.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get BOTH!

We'd all drool over the Montana BBs if they'd been built, but honestly, the Iowa (sorry, my brain farts quite often...four letter

state name with I and O in it...how close could it be? ) class was more than sufficient for any Naval

engagement in history so the Montanas would have been extreme overkill.

A superweapon with nobody to use it on.

In truth, the Iowas never actually got into the battleship-to-battleship slugfest that they built for.  I believe only one of them

actually traded rounds with a Japanese boat and it was FAR from the pitched battle that an Iowa was built to withstand.

The BBs saw plenty of action but very little of it was in their primary intended role, sinking other capital ships.

Was it worth it?  Did the investment in manpower and materiel that the BBs represent actually justify the results in terms

of how much they contributed to wartime victory?

I can't answer that question.

I do know that I'm glad four BBs were built and all four of them survived and all four of them are open for tours.

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 5:24:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We'd all drool over the Montana BBs if they'd been built, but honestly, the Ohio Iowa class was more than sufficient for any Naval
engagement in history so the Montanas would have been extreme overkill.

A superweapon with nobody to use it on.

In truth, the Iowas never actually got into the battleship-to-battleship slugfest that they built for.  I believe only one of them
actually traded rounds with a Japanese boat and it was FAR from the pitched battle that an Iowa was built to withstand.

The BBs saw plenty of action but very little of it was in their primary intended role, sinking other capital ships.

Was it worth it?  Did the investment in manpower and materiel that the BBs represent actually justify the results in terms
of how much they contributed to wartime victory?

I can't answer that question.

I do know that I'm glad four BBs were built and all four of them survived and all four of them are open for tours.

View Quote

If we hadn't been so lucky in the aviation department, we very well could have needed them.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 6:41:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Disclaimer: I'm going off of memory here, so I might be off a bit.

It wasn't to guarantee penetration, it was to guarantee a hit. That way they didn't need to put the armor plate 20 miles out on the Potomac River and fire all day trying to hit a relatively small section of armor plate.  The actual pieces of armor they were shooting were rather small. This was so they could test different velocities/angles.

So what they did was place the armor plate close to the gun and then use reduced charges to simulate the velocity the projectiles would have at long range. The normal muzzle velocity of the 16"/50 was about 2400 to 2500 feet per second. The tests in that link had an impact velocity of 2,000 and 1,700 feet per second. That last velocity probably equates to about 18 nautical miles of range.

Now look at the angle of impact "oblique angle." You can see it was less than 1 degree. That's to represent an armor plate set at 45 degrees and an AP shell descending at about the same angle.

Those velocities and angles weren't chosen by accident. They Navy was testing what they believed to be representative of ranges and trajectories likely to be found in combat.

Now pay attention to the projectile used. They used AP rounds that were Blind, Loaded, and Plugged (BL&P). AP rounds had explosive charges. The test rounds did not. They were loaded with some sort of inert material, probably sand, that simulated the weight and density of the explosive filler without the benefits of an explosive.

Still, with the last test, even though the round didn't fully penetrate, it still holed the armor. Now imagine what would have happened if it had an explosive charge too. Spalling would have most likely occurred making the turret an very unpleasant place to be.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WRONG .
Read the article

The US Navy deliberately did those tests at point blank range and 0 degree inclination so they would be guaranteed penetration ( a failure test using deformation and penetration to measure strength )
The author concludes that with the usual oblique impact angles and the 45 degree mounting of the plates, a US 16" gunned ship would not have penetrated at any range.

http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-040.htm

It wasn't to guarantee penetration, it was to guarantee a hit. That way they didn't need to put the armor plate 20 miles out on the Potomac River and fire all day trying to hit a relatively small section of armor plate.  The actual pieces of armor they were shooting were rather small. This was so they could test different velocities/angles.

So what they did was place the armor plate close to the gun and then use reduced charges to simulate the velocity the projectiles would have at long range. The normal muzzle velocity of the 16"/50 was about 2400 to 2500 feet per second. The tests in that link had an impact velocity of 2,000 and 1,700 feet per second. That last velocity probably equates to about 18 nautical miles of range.

Now look at the angle of impact "oblique angle." You can see it was less than 1 degree. That's to represent an armor plate set at 45 degrees and an AP shell descending at about the same angle.

Those velocities and angles weren't chosen by accident. They Navy was testing what they believed to be representative of ranges and trajectories likely to be found in combat.

Now pay attention to the projectile used. They used AP rounds that were Blind, Loaded, and Plugged (BL&P). AP rounds had explosive charges. The test rounds did not. They were loaded with some sort of inert material, probably sand, that simulated the weight and density of the explosive filler without the benefits of an explosive.

Sleeping on this and re-reading the article plus other stuff, I agree with you that the quoted author is wrong and at somewhere under 18 miles the Yamato would have started to get holed.
USN didn't pull that 1700 FPS test velocity out of a hat when max was 2,500 FPS

Overall, in a daytime engagement, the Yamato would have needed to get lucky to win and the Iowa just needed to have a good day to win.
But, I still think it would have been a closer run slug fest than many Iowa fans here would like to admit.

Night time, the Yamato probably would have been sunk without scoring a single hit on it's attacker.

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 7:11:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Sleeping on this and re-reading the article plus other stuff, I agree with you that the quoted author is wrong and at somewhere under 18 miles the Yamato would have started to get holed.

Overall, in a daytime engagement, the Yamato would have needed to get lucky to win and the Iowa just needed to have a good day to win.
But, I still think it would have been a closer run slug fest than many Iowa fans here would like to admit.

Night time, the Yamato probably would have been sunk without scoring a single hit on it's attacker.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WRONG .
Read the article

The US Navy deliberately did those tests at point blank range and 0 degree inclination so they would be guaranteed penetration ( a failure test using deformation and penetration to measure strength )
The author concludes that with the usual oblique impact angles and the 45 degree mounting of the plates, a US 16" gunned ship would not have penetrated at any range.

Don't forget daytime weather conditions.

The Yamato is basically totally fucked in anything but ideal daylight conditions... Even in perfect conditions, her chances are poor, and basically depend on some kind of failure on the part of the Iowa.

I might be the first to point out the Yamato had radar, including gunnery radar and some respectable fire control systems... But it just doesn't cut it. Without visual on target, she'd be lobbing shells into the Iowa's zip code... The Iowa will be dropping shells through her mailbox.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 7:12:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Was one or the other really just over-gunned?

Which one had the most firepower?

Which was biggest?
View Quote

Which one hosted the signing of a surrender?  /thread
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 7:12:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 7:28:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yamato, Battleship.  Displacement:  73k tons.  18 inch primaries.  27 knots.

http://battleshiplist.com/battleships/japan/yamato/images/001-battleship-yamato.jpg

Missouri, Battleship (Iowa class).  Displacement: 57k tons.  16 inch primaries.  31 knots.

http://www.hawaiiforvisitors.com/images/oahu/attractions/uss-missouri-02-usnavy-400x302.jpg

Bismark, Battleship (AKA Pocket Battleship).  Displacement:  50k tons.  15 inch primaries.  30 knots.

http://www.warcovers.dk/greenland/bismarck_pic.jpg
View Quote

Bismarck was not a pocket battleship.  Perhaps you are thinking of the Deutschland class.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 7:38:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WRONG .
Read the article

You have to remember that with the Iowas superior speed, she had the capability to dictate the time and range of the engagement, ensuring a night engagement I'd they wished and not withstanding any tactical/operational considerations that may have required a less optimal engagement.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:09:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Iowa class  for sure.

Its armor was proof against ALL other guns.   Yes, even against the 18" guns of the Yamato.

But,  the Mk VII 16" 50 caliber guns of the Iowa class were also equally able to defeat even the heaviest armor on
the Yamato or Bismarck.  

The Yamato front turret armor was 26" thick and in post-war testing,  the MK VII rounds ripped through it like cardboard.

No other armor could withstand the Iowa class big guns.

No other guns could defeat the Iowa class armor.

Iowa class wins,  hands down,  not even close.

CJ  
View Quote

Agree completely. AND the Iowa class was faster than the other two so it could pull away from the other two at will if it ever got into trouble.

Keep in mind that the Bismarck was designed as a LARGE commerace raider. it was not designed to fight against other battleships. That's why it RAN from the Hood and the other ships that were looking for it. The Bismarck only fought when they had no other choice.

The Yamato seems top have been designed by "the bigger is better" philosophy! A ruinous decision by a country with as few resources as WW II Japan!  They worked on it for years and never had the resources to complete it.

But in a face to face confrontation, there's no guarantee who would win. Battles are frequently lost by the first one to make a mistake and not necessarily by the weaker opponent.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:20:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The Bismarck and Tirpitz along with the u boats almost brought down the The Royal Navy. The other two ships mentioned in this thread didn't nearly do as much damage to any other fleet.
View Quote

That's just completely false! The Bismarck and Tirpritz brought down almost nothing!   They spent their entire time afloat hiding from the Allies and RARELY even put to sea!  When the Bismarck did put to see it spent the entire cruise running from the allies! They fought the Hood when corned and managed to get in a one in a million shot that blew the Hood sky high, then they went on the run again. Both ships consumed far more material and labor than they were worth!  The U-boats OTOH were a completely different story!  They did severe damage to Allied shipping but that's a completely different discussion from what's being asked here. Germany had smaller commerace raiders that were FAR more effective than the Bismarck and Tirpritz and that costs far less to build and used far smaller crews and use far less resources. The Bismarck and Tirpritz were designed to be big and impressive looking to display national honor but as war ships they were a disaster!
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:29:02 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
  That's just completely false! The Bismarck and Tirpritz brought down almost nothing!   They spent their entire time afloat hiding from the Allies and RARELY even put to sea!  When the Bismarck did put to see it spent the entire cruise running from the allies! They fought the Hood when corned and managed to get in a one in a million shot that blew the Hood sky high, then they went on the run again. Both ships consumed far more material and labor than they were worth!  The U-boats OTOH were a completely different story!  They did severe damage to Allied shipping but that's a completely different discussion from what's being asked here. Germany had smaller commerace raiders that were FAR more effective than the Bismarck and Tirpritz and that costs far less to build and used far smaller crews and use far less resources. The Bismarck and Tirpritz were designed to be big and impressive looking to display national honor but as war ships they were a disaster!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The Bismarck and Tirpitz along with the u boats almost brought down the The Royal Navy. The other two ships mentioned in this thread didn't nearly do as much damage to any other fleet.

They were actually more useful as a fleet in being.  The threat of the Bismark and Scharnhorst class ships forced the Allies to deploy valuable capital ships, including battleships and aircraft carriers as convoy escorts.  

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:38:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It also could have been Prinz Eugen.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:39:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

They were actually more useful as a fleet in being.  The threat of the Bismark and Scharnhorst class ships forced the Allies to deploy valuable capital ships, including battleships and aircraft carriers as convoy escorts.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:57:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

BIG and expensive ships are too vulnerable to cruise missiles and other modern weapons. The US clearly learned that lesson from the British in the Falklands. That's why they finally decided to retire the New Jersey. It would have been a PR disaster if a ship like the NJ had been taken out by a single shot from a cheap weapon like a cruise missile! And with nukes now widely available it would been a sure target for terrorist groups or a rogue nation!  Besides with modern precision guided weapons and high wield warheads it doesn't take a BIG ship with lots of heavy guns to destroy a target!  I'm sure that you'll seen plenty to the one-shot one-kill results on bridges, buildings, aircraft and other targets in the last couple of wars.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 9:05:06 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
   BIG and expensive ships are too vulnerable to cruise missiles and other modern weapons. The US clearly learned that lesson from the British in the Falklands. That's why they finally decided to retire the New Jersey. It would have been a PR disaster if a ship like the NJ had been taken out by a single shot from a cheap weapon like a cruise missile! And with nukes now widely available it would been a sure target for terrorist groups or a rogue nation!  Besides with modern precision guided weapons and high wield warheads it doesn't take a BIG ship with lots of heavy guns to destroy a target!  I'm sure that you'll seen plenty to the one-shot one-kill results on bridges, buildings, aircraft and other targets in the last couple of wars.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

wat?
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 9:12:18 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

wat?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

wat?
+1

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 9:14:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, what about the big, expensive carrier I was on for 6 years?
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 9:22:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

BIG and expensive ships are too vulnerable to cruise missiles and other modern weapons. The US clearly learned that lesson from the British in the Falklands. That's why they finally decided to retire the New Jersey. It would have been a PR disaster if a ship like the NJ had been taken out by a single shot from a cheap weapon like a cruise missile!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BIG and expensive ships are too vulnerable to cruise missiles and other modern weapons. The US clearly learned that lesson from the British in the Falklands. That's why they finally decided to retire the New Jersey. It would have been a PR disaster if a ship like the NJ had been taken out by a single shot from a cheap weapon like a cruise missile!

1: The Iowa's were upgraded with CIWS for just this reason (well, that and aircraft threats).
2: The Sheffield didn't immediately sink... She sank after considerable time. A larger ship wouldn't have lost so many critical systems to a single hit, and would have better damage control/fire suppression as a result.
3: I'd be really surprised if a single sea-skimming cruise missile could sink an Iowa class fully crewed, ready for battle and with acceptable damage control training. Not saying it isn't possible, and for sure enough hits could sink her... But one? Not so sure I think that's realistic. They are big, tough sonsofbitches.
4: I would think we operated Iowa's with a screening force... Could be wrong though.

And with nukes now widely available it would been a sure target for terrorist groups or a rogue nation!

Wat?

Nukes aren't widely available... And good luck targeting a ship with one.

Warships, especially battleships, are actually pretty nuke resistant... Going to need a good hit to get a kill... Can't just lob it in the general vicinity.

Besides with modern precision guided weapons and high wield warheads it doesn't take a BIG ship with lots of heavy guns to destroy a target!  I'm sure that you'll seen plenty to the one-shot one-kill results on bridges, buildings, aircraft and other targets in the last couple of wars.

Lobbing PGMs is expensive.

Lobbing melted down Volkswagen at your enemy with an overly glorified catapult... That is cost effective.

That said, obviously Battleships are obsolete for their intended role, and damned expensive to operate as a shore bombardment only asset.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 9:23:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a clever illusion.  You were really on an OHP, but via skillfull use of mirrors and such you thought you were on a carrier.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 9:27:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 9:35:09 AM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes

From that article:

Therefore, these plates are the only warship armor plates that could not be completely penetrated by ANY gun ever put on a warship when installed leaning back at 45°, as they were in the actual turrets
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 9:42:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:the bismarck, by US standards fell somewhere between a battleship and a heavy cruiser.
View Quote

No.

Bismark class was larger than all U.S. battleships except the Iowas and the never-built Montanas.  It was a true battleship - albeit a poorly engineered one.

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 9:47:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 12" on the Alaska class were excellent guns, and regarded as being equivalent to WWI-era 14" in performance.  Plus she had real good fire control, as well.  

They are light on armor - they would have to engage and get disabling hits before they came under crushing return fire.  However, neither the Kongos or Fuso had well armored ecks - they were designed in the same era as HMS Hood, and had the same flaws.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 9:51:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Biz and Tirp tied up massive Allied air and naval assets that otherwise would have been escorting shipping being victimized by pocket battlehsips, Q ships, U boats, etc.

They functioned as a "fleet in being".
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 9:52:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure we run around a bunch of LARGER ships, chock-full of aviation fuel and ordnance.  What will a cruise missile do to them?
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 11:34:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

A "fleet in being" doesn't sink a single ship!  The entire goal of the Axis during the battle of the Atlantic was to stop allied supply ships from reaching England and Russia.  They didn't succede!   They tied up additional resources and perhaps prolonged the inevitable, that's all. The ships and AC that were used to hunt for the Bismarck and Tirpritz could have been used to guard convoys or they could go out and look for the hunters which they did. It's six-to-one of half-dozen-to-the-other as to which was more effective. But the fact of the matter is that the Allies had enough ships and AC to do both so Bismarck and Tirprit had no discernible effect on the outcome of the war!

The Bismarck and Tirpritz and similar ships used up enormous German resources and there were German weapons that were much more effective. If Germany had put those resources into more fighters, or their jet fighters, or the V1 and V2 or into more Panzer tanks or just into more submarines then the outcome of the war may have been far different! I think that in terms of the war overall, the Bismarck and Tirpritz counted for nothing but an interesting footnote!
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

A "fleet in being" doesn't sink a single ship!  The entire goal of the Axis during the battle of the Atlantic was to stop allied supply ships from reaching England and Russia.  They didn't succede!   They tied up additional resources and perhaps prolonged the inevitable, that's all. The ships and AC that were used to hunt for the Bismarck and Tirpritz could have been used to guard convoys or they could go out and look for the hunters which they did. It's six-to-one of half-dozen-to-the-other as to which was more effective. But the fact of the matter is that the Allies had enough ships and AC to do both so Bismarck and Tirprit had no discernible effect on the outcome of the war!

The Bismarck and Tirpritz and similar ships used up enormous German resources and there were German weapons that were much more effective. If Germany had put those resources into more fighters, or their jet fighters, or the V1 and V2 or into more Panzer tanks or just into more submarines then the outcome of the war may have been far different! I think that in terms of the war overall, the Bismarck and Tirpritz counted for nothing but an interesting footnote!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 11:56:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Battle of the Bismark is a really cool story.....

It took a lot to sink that ship........I wonder if the Missouri could take that kind of pounding and stay afloat as long???

View Quote

GOOD post!

Was it not ONE hit, that put SD out of action???

H
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 12:00:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

GOOD post!

H
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Battle of the Bismark is a really cool story.....

It took a lot to sink that ship........I wonder if the Missouri could take that kind of pounding and stay afloat as long???

GOOD post!

H
No.

That night, an error in engine room switchboards left South Dakota powerless: without her radars, she no longer had a grasp on the complicated tactical situation.[6] South Dakota, under fire from at least three ships, took 42 hits, causing considerable damage.[7] Her radio communications failed, radar plot was demolished, three fire control radars were damaged, there was a fire in her foremast, and she had lost track of Washington. As she was no longer receiving enemy fire and there were no remaining targets, she withdrew, met Washington at a prearranged rendezvous, and proceeded to Nouméa.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 12:42:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You cannot just change one paramater - they all have effects on each other.   For example., the U-boats and suirface raiders were more effective because air and naval assets were tied up in case the German heavy units tried to break out into the Atlantic or bounce a Murmansk convoy.

Perhaps one of the Navy warriors reading this can comment on "fleet in being" influence at the strategic and operational level?
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 12:55:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Except Hood was a leftover obsolete early WW1 design, with a major design flaw.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whoever got the first solid hit.

This.  See HMS Hood for details.

Yep, and since Bismark sank her with only 3 salvos, Bismark had some pretty damn good fire control, especially considering it was her very first action. Still, I think Iowa could knock Bismark's dick in the dirt sea.

Except Hood was a leftover obsolete early WW1 design, with a major design flaw.

True, but so was the plane that caused the Bismark to go down.  One lucky shot.  That's all it ever takes.  How hard it is to GET that lucky shot varies, and our battle wagons did a good job of making it a tall order.  They weren't invulnerable though.  Nothing is.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 1:00:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You have to remember that with the Iowas superior speed, she had the capability to dictate the time and range of the engagement, ensuring a night engagement I'd they wished and not withstanding any tactical/operational considerations that may have required a less optimal engagement.
View Quote

You are assuming - like many others there - an open Ocean, fair Weather, Radar picks up Enemy at max distance scenario.

This CANNOT be guaranteed!

Close Range, Surprise encounter, ( around Savo Island or thinking Radar Contact is a Transport ) - and all bets are off!

And, IMHO, the Iowa´s were often criticised for their weak Armor, often called "Battlecruisers".

Only in ARFCom GD they got supernatural Powers!

Hermann
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 1:05:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Keep in mind that the Bismarck was designed as a LARGE commerace raider. it was not designed to fight against other battleships. That's why it RAN from the Hood and the other ships that were looking for it. The Bismarck only fought when they had no other choice.

The Yamato seems top have been designed by "the bigger is better" philosophy! A ruinous decision by a country with as few resources as WW II Japan!  They worked on it for years and never had the resources to complete it.

But in a face to face confrontation, there's no guarantee who would win. Battles are frequently lost by the first one to make a mistake and not necessarily by the weaker opponent.
View Quote

BS on first claim, and on second one, too!

Bismarck´s Captain ( Admiral ) had the ORDER to Break Through, and avoid fight, if possible.

BS # 2: Japan KNEW it had inferior resources. Therefore EACH class, and EACH ship was designed to be Top Dog in the respective class. This was to reduce necessary numbers, so to preserve resources!

Agree on last conclusion, though:

There´s NO Substitute for Alertness and pure, dumb LUCK!

Hermann
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 4:01:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

And, IMHO, the Iowa´s were often criticised for their weak Armor, often called "Battlecruisers".
View Quote

Cite, please?
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Holy shit!  Moving two 16" projectiles with a pallet jack on a rolling deck is not my idea of safe.  Sounds like a great way to get maimed or killed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Now we can't be having people getting maimed or killed on a WARSHIP now, can we?

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 4:51:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Now we can't be having people getting maimed or killed on a WARSHIP now, can we?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Getting your own people hurt is stupid.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 5:08:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Cite, please?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cite, please?

I've read criticisms of its underwater protection. My understanding is that is largely a byproduct of needing to fit in the Panama Canal.

The other criticism I've read is that its armor isn't proof against its own guns. Considering there wasn't armor afloat proof against the 16/50, I'd say that's a poor argument.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 5:11:17 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed.

Still, I don't think a pallet jack is particularly unsafe.  Not in sea conditions as shown in that video.

If you run into problems with a pallet jack, you just squeeze the handle, it drops, and motion stops.  Anyone who's qualified

to run a pallet jack loaded with 2 16" HE shells on it should be OK.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top