User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Genuinely asking an honest question in a GD outrage thread?  What kind of lunatic are you?

Since you are being genuine I'll give you my honest answer. First you are in part correct.  Holding heat evenly is a quality of thick cast iron and there are situations where that is extremely desirable.  However there are plenty of situations were thickness does not add any advantage at all.  For example most anything that is cooked inside the oven, be it baking, roasting, or braising, a pot or skillet is going to saturate to the oven temperature regardless of thickness. In that role thicker is just heavier.  And Weight is what led to cast iron falling by the wayside. Another advantage of thinner over thicker is when you are in a hurry.  Crank the burner up and the thinner one comes up to cooking temperature faster. Lastly, casting iron thinly is difficult and leads to a much higher failure rate at the foundry.  Consequently thin cast iron has an association with quality and skill.

When aluminum cookware hit the market in the late 50's the women who were predominantly doing the cooking in American kitchens were thrilled to no longer have to heft heavy cast iron pots and pans.  Cast iron all but disappeared from the American marketplace.  The problem with Aluminum cookware (aside from giving you Alzheimer's) is that it does not take seasoning the way cast iron does.  Everything sticks to that shit.  Teflon coating was then the magic answer to that but it scrapes off too easily and recent years have revealed a lot of negative side effects to ingesting Teflon.  That's why you see things like 'copper coat', green coating and a variety of other enamel coatings being pushed in infomercials.  A thin cast iron pan properly seasoned actually gives in realty what those snake oil solutions promise on TV.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't you want cast iron skillets to be thick? Their whole purpose is retaining heat. If you go thin you might as well go regular shit. Am I wrong? Genuinely asking

I love most yet stuff, have coolers, tumblers, dog bowls and even their actually fantastic dog beds. But 400 for a cast iron is insane to me

Genuinely asking an honest question in a GD outrage thread?  What kind of lunatic are you?

Since you are being genuine I'll give you my honest answer. First you are in part correct.  Holding heat evenly is a quality of thick cast iron and there are situations where that is extremely desirable.  However there are plenty of situations were thickness does not add any advantage at all.  For example most anything that is cooked inside the oven, be it baking, roasting, or braising, a pot or skillet is going to saturate to the oven temperature regardless of thickness. In that role thicker is just heavier.  And Weight is what led to cast iron falling by the wayside. Another advantage of thinner over thicker is when you are in a hurry.  Crank the burner up and the thinner one comes up to cooking temperature faster. Lastly, casting iron thinly is difficult and leads to a much higher failure rate at the foundry.  Consequently thin cast iron has an association with quality and skill.

When aluminum cookware hit the market in the late 50's the women who were predominantly doing the cooking in American kitchens were thrilled to no longer have to heft heavy cast iron pots and pans.  Cast iron all but disappeared from the American marketplace.  The problem with Aluminum cookware (aside from giving you Alzheimer's) is that it does not take seasoning the way cast iron does.  Everything sticks to that shit.  Teflon coating was then the magic answer to that but it scrapes off too easily and recent years have revealed a lot of negative side effects to ingesting Teflon.  That's why you see things like 'copper coat', green coating and a variety of other enamel coatings being pushed in infomercials.  A thin cast iron pan properly seasoned actually gives in realty what those snake oil solutions promise on TV.  

I have Lodge cast iron for those times you need heavy and thick heat retention, and I have carbon steel pans for when you don't.  They both get seasoned and release food the same.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 3:01:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yeti has proven over.  And over.  And over again.  That people are that stupid.
View Quote

20 to 1 its made by Lodge
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 3:03:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Total production cost for that including packaging can’t be more than five bucks.

Yes, people are dumb enough to buy it … because it comes with a sticker.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 3:09:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Someone insert the watch face for the Redneck Rolex.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 3:17:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

For everybody wondering if people are really that stupid...

It's sold out!

https://i.postimg.cc/YqgWFcxs/Screenshot-2023-06-13-135053.png
View Quote

A lot of us had no doubt people are that stupid.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 3:19:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've never understood why people get so mad when someone sets the price for selling something they want to sell where they want to set it.

Would I buy that? No. But it simply being available for $400 doesn't bother me.
View Quote

I have no problem with a company separating stupid people from their money. Good for them. It's almost a public service.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 3:20:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

100 to 1 says you’re wrong. Read the thread and you would have known who made it. Hint: it isn’t lodge.

As I stated. Two more ordered. Can anyone flex and prove they ordered a skilllet?
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 3:24:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

100 to 1 says you’re wrong. Read the thread and you would have known who made it. Hint: it isn’t lodge.

As I stated. Two more ordered. Can anyone flex and prove they ordered a skilllet?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77421/IMG_0347-2851369.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does Butter Pat have their own foundry or is it made for them. I would think they would have to sell a LOT more than they do to support their own foundry.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 3:31:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Does Butter Pat have their own foundry or is it made for them. I would think they would have to sell a LOT more than they do to support their own foundry.
View Quote

They claim their own foundry and 41 employees.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 3:36:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OOS
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 4:25:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't you want cast iron skillets to be thick? Their whole purpose is retaining heat. If you go thin you might as well go regular shit. Am I wrong? Genuinely asking

I love most yet stuff, have coolers, tumblers, dog bowls and even their actually fantastic dog beds. But 400 for a cast iron is insane to me

Hey, thanks man, learned something
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:06:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have Lodge cast iron for those times you need heavy and thick heat retention, and I have carbon steel pans for when you don't.  They both get seasoned and release food the same.
View Quote

That's an outstanding gameplan. No argument from me.  And I will readily admit part of my love of cast iron is aesthetic.  I like the row of cast iron pans hanging in the kitchen.  Aesthetics matter and any married man knows women decorate with expensive crap far less practical than cast iron cookware.  

Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:19:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's an outstanding gameplan. No argument from me.  And I will readily admit part of my love of cast iron is aesthetic.  I like the row of cast iron pans hanging in the kitchen.  Aesthetics matter and any married man knows women decorate with expensive crap far less practical than cast iron cookware.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife has fancy French tinned copper cookware hanging from the ceiling in our kitchen.  It gets used only rarely because we have stainless stock pots and sauce pans in addition to all of the cast iron stuff.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Smooth cast iron is over rated. I was once in the smooth camp. I took a 30 dollar Lodge and
spent a couple hours max. I found out after seasoning that it does not prevent food from sticking
and in fact seems to stick more. But instead of paying 400 pay 30 and use it like you want.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/241846/IMG_3567_png-2848891.JPG

I have a good amount of their stuff, and genuinely do like what they make. This is a bit special, though.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 9:04:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll buy RTIC's version for $100 when it comes out.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 9:04:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Are people really that stupid?
View Quote
yes, yes they are.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 11:09:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Smooth cast iron is over rated. I was once in the smooth camp. I took a 30 dollar Lodge and
spent a couple hours max. I found out after seasoning that it does not prevent food from sticking
and in fact seems to stick more. But instead of paying 400 pay 30 and use it like you want.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126641/Resized_20210108_122455_jpg-2851695.JPG
View Quote

i sanded a walmart pan.  then tried to sell it on fb mp for 10-20 more.  no takers.  couple tire kickers... maybe i messed up by not asking $300.  there is the "right price" for everyitnng

and yes, it looks funny like that initially.  cook bacon on the grill a couple times

then some other stuff.   then bacon again.  maybe some corn bread in there.  by 4th or 5th cook....
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

OOS
View Quote

@Porkchop_Sandwiches

Red buckets back in stock.

I have the green, grey, blue, and tan already.

Red will be here supposedly by Saturday.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#20]
What’s the selling point of the bucket besides the branding?  Is there some specialized nautical use, like it’s better for holding fish guts or something?
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 6:02:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

@Porkchop_Sandwiches

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OOS

@Porkchop_Sandwiches

The bucket is actually good for bucket things (boat work being a big one)

I was wanting to get the pan, make some chili with beans in it, then run it through the dishwasher
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 6:07:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Lodge makes the same thing (and has forever) for 29.99 on amazon
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 6:44:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I was wanting to get the pan, make some chili with beans in it, then run it through the dishwasher
View Quote

I use mine for various things. But if you’re waiting for the pan… dooo it. Just for the lulz.

Apparently my order shipped next day air. I have these now.

I have one of the blue ones setup just as the camp cook bucket. It’s full of cooking equipment for car camping. Butane canisters. Plates. Stoves. Bowls. Etc. I have been thinking about getting one of the yeti 60 gear carriers and moving it over to that. Use the divider and make 2/3rd for equipment and 1/3 for dry goods/food. Then use the purple yeti cooler for the cold stuff. Should work great for long excursions into the back yard where my hammock and fire pit is.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 7:09:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I use mine for various things. But if you’re waiting for the pan… dooo it. Just for the lulz.

Apparently my order shipped next day air. I have these now. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77421/IMG_9773-2852694.jpg

I have one of the blue ones setup just as the camp cook bucket. It’s full of cooking equipment for car camping. Butane canisters. Plates. Stoves. Bowls. Etc. I have been thinking about getting one of the yeti 60 gear carriers and moving it over to that. Use the divider and make 2/3rd for equipment and 1/3 for dry goods/food. Then use the purple yeti cooler for the cold stuff. Should work great for long excursions into the back yard where my hammock and fire pit is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently my order shipped next day air. I have these now. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77421/IMG_9773-2852694.jpg

Just the rope handle makes the buckets worth it.

I also found that they are much more accurate measuring out 5 gallons
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 3:39:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

The fact that you're trying to flex on people by your bucket purchases is really, really funny. Order the cast iron bro, or are you poor?
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 3:54:38 AM EDT
[#26]
I spent my pan money on a Eley Hose reel that showed up today---after learning on this site it's Tier One status. Not sure if that's a flex or not, but my son put it together and it reels a hose....for $321.....
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 4:06:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Nope. I seasoned those pans at least a half dozen times. The surfaces are rough, period. They need to be machined, or sanded down with a flap wheel to get smooth enough to even come close to comparing to the older stuff.

Season it all you want, it will be well-seasoned but still rough. I prefer my cast iron to be glass-smooth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The pic looks awesome, but GTFO with the price tag.

Lodge is a pile of rough-surface shit.

You're better off getting a $10 flea market pan that's 100 years old with a glass-smooth surface.

I bought a whole set of Lodge, but then got a couple old pans from my grandmother when she passed. I gave away most of my Lodge stuff.

You know what the difference is between that 100 year old stuff and the "crap rough lodge" stuff you gave away?

About 50 cents worth of vegetable oil.

Nope. I seasoned those pans at least a half dozen times. The surfaces are rough, period. They need to be machined, or sanded down with a flap wheel to get smooth enough to even come close to comparing to the older stuff.

Season it all you want, it will be well-seasoned but still rough. I prefer my cast iron to be glass-smooth.

It's your money, bro.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 4:31:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The fact that you're trying to flex on people by your bucket purchases is really, really funny. Order the cast iron bro, or are you poor?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's pretty eye opening. A fucking bucket.

My grandfather would skin me alive if I spent 80 dollars on a bucket.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 4:59:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yeti has proven over.  And over.  And over again.  That people are that stupid.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/17/2023 5:13:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Are people really that stupid?
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/17/2023 6:54:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Lol
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 6:59:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

JFC you guys can’t read but can talk shit. It’s not just a normal homer bucket nor is it $80….he bought 2

The bucket has the handle which is way different and great when carrying a full bucket. The bottom is weighted keeping it up right in wind or rolling seas, the bottom is also rubberized helping keep it in place, and it is much more heavy duty and scratch resistant.

It has its place but like many expensive great things Returns are incremental and may or may not make sense based on usage and ability to spend.

Yeti has an excellent product person - they know the exact point where it’s annoying how much it is but for the people who it matters to will pay it. Any more and no.

Everyone can talk shit but honestly yeti makes REALLY good product. Yea it’s annoying how much it is but all of my yeti stuff looks like the day it was made and most of it is 5-10 years old and has been through hell.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 12:37:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

JFC you guys can’t read but can talk shit. It’s not just a normal homer bucket nor is it $80….he bought 2

The bucket has the handle which is way different and great when carrying a full bucket. The bottom is weighted keeping it up right in wind or rolling seas, the bottom is also rubberized helping keep it in place, and it is much more heavy duty and scratch resistant.

It has its place but like many expensive great things Returns are incremental and may or may not make sense based on usage and ability to spend.

Yeti has an excellent product person - they know the exact point where it’s annoying how much it is but for the people who it matters to will pay it. Any more and no.

Everyone can talk shit but honestly yeti makes REALLY good product. Yea it’s annoying how much it is but all of my yeti stuff looks like the day it was made and most of it is 5-10 years old and has been through hell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Forgive me.

I should have said: My grandfather would skin me alive if I spent 80 dollars on two buckets.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 12:49:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Forgive me.

I should have said: My grandfather would skin me alive if I spent 80 dollars on two buckets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Forgive me.

Link Posted: 6/17/2023 1:07:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just find it hilarious that people can’t understand an actual quality made bucket. The pan is tempting though. The stargazer ones have my attention too. Granted I have more lodge pans than I know what to do with that I don’t even use. Most kitchens at home can be served with 4 lodge pans to cover most things. The yeti pan would be fun to get.

If I wanted to flex about wasting money I just put in an order for pvc patches in the Walrus the Cat thread to give away that cost more than that pan does.

Shit. I need to go put a yeti sticker on my lifted jeep that doesn’t ever go off-road beyond a dusty gravel road. I’ll step away for a little bit to go do that. Want a picture as proof? Or is my internet bro flex enough to do that for ya?
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 1:16:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126641/Resized_20210108_122455_jpg-2851695.JPG
View Quote

I have ne I haven’t sanded down and it’s smooth. It took seemingly forever to get it to be like that. I’ll have to sand one down with an orbital and see how it turns out.

Quoted:

Forgive me.

View Quote

He’d probably also shake his fist in the air at the price of a truck or a full tank of fuel. Get past your boomer tendencies and then maybe you’ll understand. You strike me as the standard cab manual transmission, crank windows, no AC, steel wheels, pickup truck kind of a person who can’t understand why manufactures don’t make vehicles like that anymore.

I thought the bucket was a joke too till I handled one. Go try one. You may like it. The insulated cups cost about the same as the bucket. Or are you still using your grandpas 1940 broken thermos because it holds coffee fine.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 1:24:00 PM EDT
[#37]
More people cooking with cast iron is a good thing. It’s taking us back to our American roots and away from the microwave or drive-thu.

Shrimp last week on Topsail Island in my grandmother’s cast iron pan.

Link Posted: 6/17/2023 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I've had one for several years.  It was another thrift store find.  The seasoning was toast and it had a small amount surface rust. After tax I was out the door with it for under $15. The Field brand hadn't been out for long so my best guess is it was a gift for someone who didn't understand cast iron so one try at cooking and off to the donation pile.  After stripping it down and reseasoning, it is now my most used pan.  It's about a pound lighter than a similar sized modern Lodge. The cooking surface has little tiny spiral micro ridges that make a satisfying zip sound under a turner.  The handle is longer than a Lodge or most vintage and has a groove on the underside for air flow.  That means it stays cooler and you can hold it farther from the actual hot surface.  I can cook eggs on low without needing a mitt or a potholder.  It has a curled edge instead of pour spouts.  Without pour spouts a 10 inch Pyrex lid seals mine nicely. The lid was a $3 pick up at the same thrift store.

I like it quite a lot and would consider paying the price for a new one were I to be buying it as a gift for someone getting into cast iron cookware. After my thrift store score I looked Field Co up online to see what they go for and then signed up for their newsletter.  They do go on sale once in a while. The last sale was for the cast iron lid to my pan but I'm happy with the Pyrex lid I have.

Field Co isn't the only modern American made cast iron in that price range. In the higher than standard Lodge cast iron world your options are the following.

A variety of Asian imports such as Pioneer Woman, Emil, Benjamin Medwin, or Cabela's house brand.  I don't recommend any of those. Stick with American or French made.

Next level would be Blacklock.  It's Lodge's premium brand. They sell in the $60 range for a #8 skillet It's lighter weight than standard Lodge and has a much improved handle.  It's main drawback is that it has the same raised pebble rough surface of the standard Lodge. If you're a guy who's willing to hit it with a sander its the cheapest way to a new cast iron pan that's lightweight with a smooth cooking surface.

In the $100-200 range for a #8 skillet there is Field, Smithy, Finex and Stargazer.  Each of them have design elements unique to them so read up and take your pick. After my Field pick up I thought real hard about buying a new Stargazer to have a side by side comparison.  I really like it's handle design.  In my reading I noticed many purchasers of Stargazers complained they could never get a truly nonstick surface to form. Made me shy away from it.

Then there's the real high end of the group with Butter Pat and the French import Le Creuset.  New prices are way to expensive for me but I do have a couple enameled Le Creuset pans I have scored used.  I use them when cooking anything tomato based.

I'm sure I missed a brand or two but that's what I'm aware of.
View Quote

This guy knows his cast irons.  I’m going to make an alternative recommendation.  

DeBuyer mineral b pro skillets.  

3mm thick carbon steel. Smoooooth and indestructible. Thick enough to be used on piece of shit electric cooktops although if I had electric I’d probably just use cast iron.

Check out uncle Scott’s pan cast for good seasoning tips and reviews.  I will recommend something you won’t see many places:  use canola oil for seasoning. It won’t flake up near as easy as some of the other oils.  But don’t use that disgusting stuff for cooking, just seasoning.

Seasoning is the oil being heated above its smoke point to where it turns into a plastic like material.  

Anyway, enjoy.  You’ll never cook eggs on anything else ever again.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 1:54:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Our Yeti blanket kicks ass.

eta: it was a gift.
View Quote

It's always a gift.

The yeti equivalent of "asking for a friend".
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 2:03:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Forgive me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Forgive me.

You no math good while it’s just one word it means 2x

But your point is taken - shaking fist in the air because we like nice shit and gramps wouldn’t approve.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 2:59:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I wouldn't pay $200 for it.
View Quote

"I wouldn't give one camel"
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 4:08:45 PM EDT
[#42]
All YETI tumblers and coolers are made in CHINA, IN THE  SAME FACTORY AS ALL THE OTHER STAINLESS STEEL TUMBLERS SOLD IN THIS COUNTRY. RTIC...CHINA ,WALMART...CHINA, from the same factory. Some dumbass mother fuckers that buy YETI CRAP.

At least the cast iron skillet is made in the USA ! I wouldn't buy one because $400 for a skillet is stupid.

Years ago on this site, a bunch of us did research and found out that most all stainless tumblers come from the same factory, anyone remember the thread ?
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 4:42:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
All YETI tumblers and coolers are made in CHINA, IN THE  SAME FACTORY AS ALL THE OTHER STAINLESS STEEL TUMBLERS SOLD IN THIS COUNTRY. RTIC...CHINA ,WALMART...CHINA, from the same factory. Some dumbass mother fuckers that buy YETI CRAP.

At least the cast iron skillet is made in the USA ! I wouldn't buy one because $400 for a skillet is stupid.

Years ago on this site, a bunch of us did research and found out that most all stainless tumblers come from the same factory, anyone remember the thread ?
View Quote

You seem butthurt. They make a powder for that.

My Tundra coolers are made in The USA.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top