Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 8:52:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
i know how to fly. i would not be in the trenches.

Probably wouldn't be in the air for long.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 8:52:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Malaita club, but with a metal edge or maybe 1917 Cutlass, and probably a small sheild, maybe use a helmet as such.

A polearm could work, stand at the top of a trench and hack at the guys below.  

Upon further thought, a Malaita club, but with an attachment point for a 5ft pole.  Though who wants to run across no-mans land with such a thing.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 8:52:54 AM EDT
[#3]
12ga shotty.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's different.  

Get acquainted: http://www.olohe.com/weapons-of-lua.html Some great slicing, dicing, and bashing tools.

I have honestly never heard of an Hawaiian martial arts or weapons before this.  Interesting stuff.  

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 8:53:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Bastard sword!
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 8:53:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Tomahawk and a lead pipe
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 8:53:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Perhaps a kindjal long-knife that the Russian Cossack units used in WWI.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 8:54:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
tomahawk

this
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 8:54:19 AM EDT
[#9]
read somewhere once that the entrenching tool, sharpened is what was used the most. soldiers were issued gut ripping bayonets. the story was if you got caught with one by the enemy you were in for a hard time.

and it strikes me that bayonet might be a bit unwieldy in a trench and a sort handled shovel would be better.

perhaps a war hammer would be a good weapon too..

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 8:54:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 8:55:30 AM EDT
[#11]

I'd use nunchucks and throwing stars.

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 8:58:50 AM EDT
[#12]

That looks really fragile. One or two smacks and you've got a spoon.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 8:59:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:02:00 AM EDT
[#14]
1911 and a trench gun.

What's wrong with doing it the Indiana Jones way and just shooting them?

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:02:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
M1918 trench knife

No way.  It's about useless compared to a good shovel.  I believe there were WWI shovels that were very similar to the Cold Steel version of the Russian infantry shovel.  Good enough for the SPETZNAZ to carry all the time.

The US shovel with that big T handle got in the way too much, a real pain in the ass in the trenches.

IIRC zee germans had straight handled shovels
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:06:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Definitely a tomahawk!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:12:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Tomahawk and M1918 trench knife.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:14:19 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

WW1? Fuck that. I'd say I know how to type, send my ass way back to the rear. That was a stupid war, fought by stupid generals, backed by stupid populations.

But a club of some sort. Simple, works wherever you hit them, doesn't need sharpening.

I'll go with this post.  All of it.  I suppose the shovel could be used as an edged or blunt weapon.

WW1 was an absolute waste of human life.

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:15:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

tomahawk

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:18:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Shovel sharpened to machete sharpness.

All Quiet on the Western Front - this technique was pointed out by the German seargent (Earnest Borgnine).
I believe he also said to not let the Allies catch you doing this or with this on you.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:20:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the first thing I thought of: E-tool sharpened to a chopping edge. I need a short handle if I'm going to be swinging it in trenches, so the short shovel appeals over a tomahawk or something like that. The weight of the shovel blade appeals over the lighter head of the 'hawk as well, for cutting through wool blouses and leather belts, even helmet straps.

Agreed.

Plus, I would NOT want to be anywhere near the trenches in WW1 without having a folding shovel.  You never know when you might get caught out "on the surface" and then you'll wish you could trade everything you ever owned for a toll that will allow you to dig in for even a modicum of cover.

I see your point, but one was RARELY more than a short jump from a shellhole.  The place looks like the moon in places even now.

As for my trench weapon of choice, I'll take this:

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:21:54 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

tomahawk

This.

serves for hacking off parts, an excellent all around tool and a psychological weapon

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:24:43 AM EDT
[#23]
An American red wood baseball bat
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:25:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Another vote for a tomahawk
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:27:48 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

How about the big ass Bone Handled Indian knife depicted in Legends of the Fall?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j48GDZKZTUo

Woooo go brad pit.

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:43:26 AM EDT
[#26]
BAR primary and a 1911 for once I was in the trench. Spare mags in my pockets and a 5 shot j-frame for a NY reload.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:48:49 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is the first thing I thought of: E-tool sharpened to a chopping edge. I need a short handle if I'm going to be swinging it in trenches, so the short shovel appeals over a tomahawk or something like that. The weight of the shovel blade appeals over the lighter head of the 'hawk as well, for cutting through wool blouses and leather belts, even helmet straps.

Agreed.

Plus, I would NOT want to be anywhere near the trenches in WW1 without having a folding shovel. You never know when you might get caught out "on the surface" and then you'll wish you could trade everything you ever owned for a toll that will allow you to dig in for even a modicum of cover.

I see your point, but one was RARELY more than a short jump from a shellhole. The place looks like the moon in places even now.

As for my trench weapon of choice, I'll take this:

http://ncmuseumofhistory.org/images/prss_machinegun.gif

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:51:32 AM EDT
[#28]
SMLE, 1911, and a German E-Tool stuck in the belt
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:57:33 AM EDT
[#29]
I'd take one of these...

or
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 12:17:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

Plus, I would NOT want to be anywhere near the trenches in WW1 without having a folding shovel.  You never know when you might get caught out "on the surface" and then you'll wish you could trade everything you ever owned for a toll that will allow you to dig in for even a modicum of cover.

Sorry no folding shovels back then.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 12:23:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Here is the Austrian version, Germans were similar.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#32]
There are many examples of German "Butcher Blade" bayonets that soldiers would take steel or lead melt and pound/mold on to the end.  This created a club with a heavy end to get lots of velocity with a knife blade, imagine a tomahawk with a continuous edge.  

Here I found a Pic
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 12:23:44 PM EDT
[#33]
A mini excavator.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 12:31:43 PM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 12:31:59 PM EDT
[#35]
I would have wanted one of these.  1917 Trench Knife.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 12:41:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 12:42:06 PM EDT
[#38]
I always thought in a pinch a regular claw hammer would work, but with the curve of the claw, it might get stuck in a skull and it would be a bitch to pull out.

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 12:53:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
M1918 trench knife

No way.  It's about useless compared to a good shovel.  I believe there were WWI shovels that were very similar to the Cold Steel version of the Russian infantry shovel.  Good enough for the SPETZNAZ to carry all the time.

The US shovel with that big T handle got in the way too much, a real pain in the ass in the trenches.

Pretty much why I chose a knife, if my primary and secondary are down I am already in a bad way. a knife is gonna be wieldly in a brawl.

I will replace the shovel with a good gas mask,
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 1:13:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 1:19:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Hawei Practical XL Katana
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 1:24:29 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I always thought in a pinch a regular claw hammer would work, but with the curve of the claw, it might get stuck in a skull and it would be a bitch to pull out.

Check out the Riggers Axe

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 1:29:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Wire cutters in one hand, Sharpened shovel in the other. All of you would get tangled in No Man's Land...
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 1:36:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 1:39:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
A good Machete or a Kukri.

http://i54.tinypic.com/1444eiw.jpg

A challenger appears...

I like the cut of your jib.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 1:42:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

The almost cliche'd turn of phrase about guys caught in the open during a barrage in works like All Quiet on the Western Front, et al was that they wished they had a knife with them so they could cut their buttons off, thus allowing them to get just that much closer to mother earth.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 1:44:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
An American red wood baseball bat

Sergeant Donny Donowitz, The Bear-Jew!

CLACK...........CLACK..............CLACK...........CLACK......CLACK....CLACK....CLACK....CLACK..CLACK..CLACK..CLACKCLACKCLACKCLACK....
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Just like the American Civil War, I am taking a Bowie knife to the trenches. Or trading for a Kukri,

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 1:52:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Ghille suit and a OBR with some NightFotce Horus Vision reticle scope.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 1:55:12 PM EDT
[#50]
E-tool or kukri with a really bright clothing mounted flashlight to blind or disorient my enemy.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top