Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:59:34 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

The guys posting that they want swords make me laugh.  Swords are utterly worthless when you have to crawl around in ditches, over and under barbed wire, etc.  But to each his own.

So your saying you'd go with Nunchaku?

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:00:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Trench knife and shovel.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:43:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Skip the melee weapon.  

MP-18 and extra mags.

This. That weapon was devestating in it's purpose.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:48:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:
The guys posting that they want swords make me laugh.  Swords are utterly worthless when you have to crawl around in ditches, over and under barbed wire, etc.  But to each his own.

No, I am saying have some common sense.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:55:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I am saying have some common sense.

your in GD...that is asking alot
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:58:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I am saying have some common sense.[/]

Not all swords are long and unwieldy. Most machetes and short swords are under 30 inches. Probably pretty close in length to the aforementioned e-tools.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 9:14:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#8]
A tomahawk sounds good. Either way you're in a bad position if you're fighting with tomahawks and clubs.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 9:25:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

FYI, the japanese short short (wakizashi) is has a blade of between 12 inches and 24 inches, and was partly intended for fighting in more enclosed spaces.  I could see how a short blade like that, with a curved edge but also good for stabbing, could be useful in a trench.

Might well be.  How do they stand up to abuse and lack of maintenance?  Are they especially delicate?
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 9:26:33 AM EDT
[#10]
A 14"-18" club with metal studs on the thumpy end.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 9:41:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My grandfather was in WWI. He said the most effective tool for killing in the trenches was his shovel. He carried a Chauchat, a 1911, a trench knife/knuckles combo, but it was the shovel that did the most damage. That was the one war, if I had to pick one, that I would not pick to fight in. The stories I have been told are just unbelievable.

My grandfather would never talk about his time over there. I do recall one reference to an outbreak of influenza on the boat trip over. Apparently  quite a few died.

79th Infantry Division

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 9:41:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Trench warfare?  WonderTwin powers activate!  Shape of... a honey badger. Form of...I don't give a shit.

Thanks...I needed that laugh!

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 9:47:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Tomahawk.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:29:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Trench Gun w/ bayonet , 1911, Grenades, Brass knuckle knife and 3-4 shots of a good single malt scottish whisky before entering said trench!
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#15]
M1918 trench knife

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 12:04:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I always thought in a pinch a regular claw hammer would work, but with the curve of the claw, it might get stuck in a skull and it would be a bitch to pull out.

Check out the Riggers Axe

I already have the camp axe, but that's more for general zombie use, not trench warfare.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A mini excavator.

How about a "KILLDOZER".
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 2:56:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

FYI, the japanese short short (wakizashi) is has a blade of between 12 inches and 24 inches, and was partly intended for fighting in more enclosed spaces.  I could see how a short blade like that, with a curved edge but also good for stabbing, could be useful in a trench.

Might well be.  How do they stand up to abuse and lack of maintenance?  Are they especially delicate?

Oh, I'm not recommending it at all - I was just clarifying that the category of "japanese sword" does include a shorter one that would technically be useful in close quarters.

A traditional japanese blade would require quite a bit of cleaning and maintenance to avoid rust.  Definitely NOT something you'd want in a trench.  

That said, I could see some of the modern variants of a wakizashi, made out of modern steel and with a better handle, being a pretty effective and viscious weapon for close quarters.

But me, I'm sticking with the SHOVEL, for the reasons that myself and others have articulated in this thread.  Screw all this fancy shit.  

Aah, gotcha.  I really don't know a thing about Japanese swords.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:03:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Is there a place to purchase trench clubs or cogged mauls as a collectible?
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:13:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Mouthful of angry bees.  Gonna scare the shit out of them Hun bastards when I start spittin' bees.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shovel sharpened to machete sharpness.

This is the first thing I thought of: E-tool sharpened to a chopping edge. I need a short handle if I'm going to be swinging it in trenches, so the short shovel appeals over a tomahawk or something like that. The weight of the shovel blade appeals over the lighter head of the 'hawk as well, for cutting through wool blouses and leather belts, even helmet straps.

Agreed.

Plus, I would NOT want to be anywhere near the trenches in WW1 without having a folding shovel.  You never know when you might get caught out "on the surface" and then you'll wish you could trade everything you ever owned for a toll that will allow you to dig in for even a modicum of cover.

+3

WW1 was the death factory.  If ever there was a real meat grinder for human flesh that was it.  Someday someone should do a movie about WWI that doesn't pull any punches, but it would probably be rated NC17 for extreme violence.

How did any combat vet make it through that war at all without being messed up for life?
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:16:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
How about the big ass Bone Handled Indian knife depicted in Legends of the Fall?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j48GDZKZTUo

so why does he stab his dead friend?
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Too bad LaRue doesn't make their paint mixer anymore.

That on a cordless drill would be fun

And easier to use than a FUBAR
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about the big ass Bone Handled Indian knife depicted in Legends of the Fall?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j48GDZKZTUo

so why does he stab his dead friend?
It's his brother and he removes his heart.. It's some kind of native american thing.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:16:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:24:32 PM EDT
[#28]
two new GAGE TACTICAL GLADIUSES
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:25:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

a 16"bladed gladius is short and thick...
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:41:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A mini excavator.

How about a "KILLDOZER".

Not nimble enough.  Besides, grabbing a filthy hun by his britches and repeatedly swinging him into the side of a bunker is way more fun than making him play Rachel Corrie.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:57:07 PM EDT
[#31]
This may be useful:

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top