Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 10:49:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have a friend like that. He works construction, and every Friday night he hits the strip club, etc., and he’s broke by Monday. He spends the rest of the week borrowing lunch money. He rode a bike for a long time, peddling his ass to and from work, but eventually bought a car - at very high interest, financed by Santander.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I grew up with a guy who would get his pay check and go straight too the titty bar and blow the whole thing. He was always trying to sell crap and bum money to pay his bills and feed his kids..

I have a friend like that. He works construction, and every Friday night he hits the strip club, etc., and he’s broke by Monday. He spends the rest of the week borrowing lunch money. He rode a bike for a long time, peddling his ass to and from work, but eventually bought a car - at very high interest, financed by Santander.

I've heard of a few construction outfits that pay on Monday instead of Friday, just to help curb the borrowing and payday advances after they blow it all over the weekend.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 10:50:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Analysis: True.

I can resist anything.  Except temptation.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It's a training and culture issue.
Once a person is raised a certain way it is very difficult to get their head rewired in a way that is more useful and less chaotic(exciting).
View Quote

I tend to agree, but if one used the circumstances under which they're raised as what NOT to do, they can break free. I was lucky to have a jarring moment in my upbringing to prevent me from following in my parents footsteps.

My parents have always been impulse buyers, spending as fast as it comes in, and have had more things in debt collection than probably most "credit criminals." I grew up watching them go through many "boom bust cycles" where dad would get a good job, run up debt, lose job, have it all taken again.

The jarring moment for me, which still guides me to this day, was waking up one morning to the repo man taking our shiny new ATVs back.

To this day, my mom will have to work until she dies. She's 64 and a travel nurse so she's clearing 6 figures these days, but my dad spends HER money faster than it comes in. (He's been on SS disability for over a decade following a liver transplant). Because their credit is trash, he'll open up a shit credit card with a 300 dollar limit at maximum APR to buy something he wants NOW. He has a fuckin "Amish built" shed in his yard that he bought RENT TO OWN! When I did the math, it's something like 150% interest. And it is mostly his spending, but she's an enabler.

Now they have chickens, and what I call the Taj Mahal of chicken coops. These fuckin chickens live better than I remember living at some points in my childhood. We had a dirt floor kitchen at one point because we could only afford to live in a hunting cabin. These fuckin chickens have heated floors, classical music playing 24/7, automatic doors, etc. This thing has to be 4 figures at least. They won't tell me how they afforded it because they know I'll lecture them about the fact that they're going to die in debt.

I used that jarring moment in my childhood to vow to never be like my parents, and thankfully, I've broken free of the chains that bind my parents. Even though I know deep down I shouldn't have, I did pay off their mortgage which they've had since 1990 at something in the range of 10-15% interest. I just figured it would unburden me of having to buy them gifts for the rest of their lives.

My sister, unfortunately, has fallen into her upbringing. She's 35 or 36 with no savings to her name. She's also a travel nurse, so she's easily making 100k+, but she just refuses to get serious about saving for her future. I keep sending her calculations of the small changes she could make now and still be a millionaire in 30 years. It falls on deaf ears. She just posted a photo of another tattoo she just got, because this artist was "special."

Anyway, no one cares about me airing grievances with my families poor habits, the TLDR is that one can break free from that upbringing, but it may take a jarring moment that imprints itself to do so.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 10:52:30 AM EDT
[#4]
And to think he could have had as much fun with a $15 handle of vodka and some bottle rockets.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 10:53:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Rants about inflation.

Then rants about the dam kids spending their money on hard assets.

Boomer thread lol.
View Quote

more like a GenX thread...since when are fireworks and alcohol hard assets?
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 10:54:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Stupid I can feel bad for, lots of people are born dumb, they simply can't make good choices.

Lazy though, I just don't get it. On a Monday morning, if you don't want to get your ass up and go make some money, there's something wrong with you. Not a single person alive doesn't want nice things, but will say they don't to justify not having bust ass for them. It's extremely gratifying to work hard at reaching a goal and watching that vision kind of bloom. Seems like it takes forever though, and people hate that.
View Quote
You are wrong there. I don't desire nice things. Through out my 50 years I have gradually learned that nice things have no part in whether or not I am happy or content with life. They often do the opposite of bringing contentment.
When I was busting ass at a good job making way more money than I could spend I wasn't buying nice things, I had already learned the truth. I saved that money to buy my place so I wouldn't have to work hard anymore not to buy nice things that do fuck all for my happiness.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 10:55:04 AM EDT
[#7]
well, people are stupid

Attachment Attached File

remember you're always someone else's idiot
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 10:57:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Real men drive trucks that get 12mpg.
Any less and you are a woman.

I have work with a guy that burns through 70k trucks every two years and whines about credit card debt.
View Quote

Yep, I have never owned a new vehicle despite the ability for many years. The most I have paid for a truck is $32k ( used ). Im sure they will change with prices they way they are now, but unless you are making $200k+ I just cant see the justification for it. ( maybe if its for business, but I dont buy brand new machines either ).

Link Posted: 1/2/2022 10:57:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Our society and government enable this bullshit.  Fucked up priorities and wanting to impress strangers.......

People wearing $300 jeans, $500 shoes, driving a Lexus, and smoking $8 a pack cigarettes, but don't actually have a pot to piss in.  

I worked with a guy that went out and bought whatever he wanted. When it was time to pay his mortgage, I would buy his toys from him for pennies on the dollar.  Guns, bows, treestands, TVs, you name it.  Still have a bunch of the stuff to this day.

A guy I currently work with was in debt up to his eyeballs.  Huge house, new car every two years, season passes to multiple amusement parks, fancy vacations multiple times a year....He finally knocked the shit off and paid off all of his debt.  His now EX-wife ran them back up to almost $30K in debt within 6 months.  Fuck that!

Link Posted: 1/2/2022 10:57:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You are wrong there. I don't desire nice things. Through out my 50 years I have gradually learned that nice things have no part in whether or not I am happy or content with life. They often do the opposite of bringing contentment.
When I was busting ass at a good job making way more money than I could spend I wasn't buying nice things, I had already learned the truth. I saved that money to buy my place so I wouldn't have to work hard anymore not to buy nice things that do fuck all for my happiness.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stupid I can feel bad for, lots of people are born dumb, they simply can't make good choices.

Lazy though, I just don't get it. On a Monday morning, if you don't want to get your ass up and go make some money, there's something wrong with you. Not a single person alive doesn't want nice things, but will say they don't to justify not having bust ass for them. It's extremely gratifying to work hard at reaching a goal and watching that vision kind of bloom. Seems like it takes forever though, and people hate that.

I didn't mean fancy things, I meant nice things.

You said you worked hard to buy your place, there is a reason you bought it I'm sure. You probably really enjoy it there wanted to own it outright.

Do you not buy well made tools and clothes when needed?

My place isn't fancy, but it's comfortable, and it's well placed. Same with my shop, it's not large, but it's functional. They are nice things, and worth working for.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 10:58:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I wish I could live a little more like that.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 10:58:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I wonder how many smart people decided they could only afford two children, and sent their daughters to college - or how many decided they couldn't afford children at all.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:00:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Most of the problem is mindset .

When I got divorced I was fuckin A poor . Second jobs to get by , I only ate dinner when my kids were here.

Hell there were two winters I heated my house with a kerosene heater only . (Coldest My House would get is 42 )

Working 6 days a week and waking up to a house that’s 42 makes for a grumpy motherfucker I’ll tell ya

I didn’t buy Shit , and I mean nothing except food . Took a few years but slowly and surely I made progress .

I was angry at the world, but I told myself , no motherfucker can defeat me , nothing will stop me from making a better life .

It pays off but you have to want it , and want it badly .

Most poor people are stupid and lazy . Those that aren’t won’t be poor forever
View Quote

Thats a real man right there. ^
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:01:29 AM EDT
[#14]
More often than not, yes, being poor/in debt is a choice. If things go sideways, those that want to not continue to be poor find ways to improve their situation.

We have the entitlement/“I wants it now!” mentality running through the US plus the heavy advertising that pushes thoughtless consumption.

“be the envy of your friends…get the new widget first!”

They also learn that having more us never enough and they keep going in debt.

Most Americans do not see the long game nor understand how to truly build wealth .
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:01:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I cry when I have to swipe my card twice to fill up the work truck.

I wish I could still get something like my '94 Nissan XE hardbody. That thing would get me through the week on like $10 worth of gas (at the time). Not that it would do me any good for work, but as a personal vehicle it would be awesome.
View Quote
I still own my 1995 Nissan Pathfinder SE. The fuel economy isn't that great. It gets 19-20 mpg and I that's with all new filters, plugs, rotor and cap. It has a fuel tank the size of a kidney bean so I have to fill up every 200-250 miles, 15 gallons. It's reliable but it's retired as my primary driver after 20 years of service, it's my grocery getter now.

Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:03:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I wonder how many smart people decided they could only afford two children, and sent their daughters to college - or how many decided they couldn't afford children at all.
View Quote

We stopped after two and both got snipped.

At the time we couldn't afford three, and our house only has 3 bedrooms.

I told the urologist when he asked me if I really wanted to give up a chance of having more children (I was 29) that if I really felt I wanted another in the future, we would consider adoption. Seems like there is enough children that need a home that it would be reasonable.

Plenty of people around here just keep cranking them out though, and they don't make any more money than we do. I have no idea how they afford it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:05:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I still own my 1995 Nissan Pathfinder SE. The fuel economy isn't that great. It gets 19-20 mpg and I that's with all new filters, plugs, rotor and cap. It has a fuel tank the size of a kidney bean so I have to fill up every 200-250 miles, 15 gallons. It's reliable but it's retired as my primary driver after 20 years of service, it's my grocery getter now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish I could still get something like my '94 Nissan XE hardbody. That thing would get me through the week on like $10 worth of gas (at the time). Not that it would do me any good for work, but as a personal vehicle it would be awesome.

4 or 6 cylinder?

I had this truck, with the 4 cylinder. It was like impossible to run out of gas. That thing was so cool.

Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:11:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Sounds like a guy I use to work with. He hadn't grown out of high school mode yet.
View Quote

Whole lot of them walking around in public. Millions upon millions.
Edit to add: Had a guy at work like that years ago. He would sell his vacation check right after New Years. Used to carpool with 4 other guys, not real bright guy but likeable.
One day on their way into work he had a heart attack. The carpool dropped him off at the hospital and proceeded to work. He died at the hospital. Sad life, he was in his early 40's.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:12:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Think about that when the $250-$300 Child Tax Credit Advanced Payment ended Dec 15.  Plenty of people around here are already anticipating what to spend their tax refunds on.  Already had some talk about going to Jackson Hewitt and H&R Block to get an advanced loan on their tax refunds already.

Plenty are generally stupid.  For the past 6 months you can see people in my area whooping it up after the 15th of the month when the $250-$300 credit per child shows up in their account.
View Quote

Wait till they realize that 250/month was a big part of their tax refund paid out through the year. And they already blew it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:12:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

I still drive a 2000 jeep Cherokee that I bought in 2013 lol. At that time the wife needed a new car and I wasn’t about to have 2 payments. Paid $5200 for it 8 years ago and have put maybe $1200 into it since repairing it myself. Find a good older used car. Doesn’t have to be nice or cool, just needs to be solid and known for reliability. Bonus points for cheap and easy to fix.

@Wolverine1776, the key is to take a close look at what you spend and see where you can trim the fat. This is all temporary. Make small goals that you can achieve reasonably quick. 1-2 years.

How often do you eat out? That’s probably one of the most expensive things people do. Cooking for yourself is very easy and cheap. We are a family of 3 and our grocery fund is $200/week. Sometimes we don’t spend it all lol. If we got to McDonald’s and get 2 meals and a happy meal, it costs $25-30. That’s insane. We can make a full meal with left overs for less than half of that.

Do you get coffee in the mornings on your way to work? $3-6 a day adds up. You can get store brand coffee for $6-8 in tub that will last you a month.

It’s really easy. Just start writing down everything you spend money on. It’ll blow your mind when you see how much money you spent on something you didn’t even think about.  

The place Americans, particularly men, destroy their finances is in their cars.

Most wouldn't buy a 50k beemer, but a 50k truck that costs big bucks to fill the tank? Nobody batts an eye.

I have an 07 Ranger that is paid for.....hardly ever drive it because it gets around 19 mpg....instead I drive a Nissan Versa, also paid for, it gets 40 mpg.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:15:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This is me. I suck with money. I'm 32 and have never had more than $1,000 between paychecks. Usually down to under $100.

My parents had overwhelming debt and it killed my mom at 46 from a stroke, and my dad is currently dieing of liver failure.

I tried to avoid that but have around $3k in outstanding medical bills that the doctors still haven't figured out what's wrong with me. So that's cool, I'm in debt forever and I don't even know how to fix it. Awesome

View Quote

Is that your new Bronco in your avatar?
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:17:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Got an employee who was whining today asking for an advance for next weeks pay (I paid early Thursday for New Years).

Seems like the individual had impulse spending problem and blew $300 on fireworks and $200 on liquor for New Years.  Problem is that he did not have enough money to cover his rent for Jan 2022 that is due Monday.and is also short for diaper money.

Sometimes I just wonder about society.
View Quote

As stupid as that is, how much does he make? THAT has just as much to do with his status as a "poor" than poor impulse control.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:18:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yeah I can't pay that. I'm already stretched to the limit.
I'm stupid and have a $450 car payment, $1k for rent. $200 for insurance. And a bunch of other shit.

So an extra $3k in medical bills is kind of an inconvenience. But jUsT gO wOrK mOrE. I can barely get by doing my normal job, I'm in so much pain and discomfort every day.

I'll be paying $50/mo on these bills for the rest of my life, and still not know what is wrong with me that won't let me live a normal fucking life.
View Quote
If you can afford $50 a month every month that's 5 years of debt. 50x60=$3k
6012=5
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:20:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thats another thing people get spun up about. Paying for their kids college. Its another “if I could do that AND meet my retirement goals” I would, but I can’t.

I’ve never felt it was my duty to pay for my kids college, but I will help as much as possible with whatever they chose to do. Hopefully not college unless necessary.

My parents had a little money set aside for me which was a pleasant surprise, but I still had to take out 40k in loans.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:25:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Fireworks and booz??? Nah… ammo and a suppressor??? Yes.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:27:28 AM EDT
[#26]
OP is right.

People have very poor impulse control. I know I'm guilty of it, and I do end up buying shit I end up not needing more often than I'd like. It really does take some discipline not to click "buy it now" on Amazon.

The good thing is I don't do it so much that I screw myself out of my other financial responsibilities, and enough that I can pay off anything relatively quickly.

I'm trying to get in the habit of waiting a day or two, then thinking "do I really need this thing?"
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:30:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I know of a couple who lived in a trailer park. They bought a couple of thousand dollar cats - then they got booted from the park for non payment of lot fees.
View Quote

We’ve seen people denied credit for a $450/mo house payment because they were in debt with a $700/mo car payment.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:35:32 AM EDT
[#28]
I loved my my mother dearly (may she RIP) but she was an awful money manager. Constantly late or failing to pay bills and bouncing checks all over town. As a kid we had vehicle repossessed, power shut off, threatened foreclosures, and tax sales. I vowed I would never be like that and with the help of a good woman I can proudly say I have never been late, missed a payment or bounced a check.

I had related my mothers financial failures to my wife early in our marriage but I could tell she thought I was exaggerating. The truth hit home when we visited my parents for the first time after getting married. I took three weeks leave and we headed to NV from WA. My wife had gathered all our bills that would be due while we were away in preparation of paying them when due. Payday rolled around and we sat in my mothers kitchen writing checks (pre-internet) and stuffing envelopes. My mother came in and asked "what are you doing?" "Paying bills" my wife replied. My mother looks at her incredulously and said "you can take a vacation and pay bills?" My wife replied "yes we saved money to take vacation, don't you?" My mother replied "no, I decide what bills are not important and use that money to take vacation."
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:36:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I don't have a family so my expenses are low, but I also don't make a huge income.  I'm in the National Guard, I make a little in dividends, and I have an online business, and all in all I make about 30k net per year.  That's equivalent to about 16 dollars an hour at 40hrs/week.  But I budget everything I spend, and I keep spending below $1000 per month, sometimes under $900.  That includes everything - utilities, insurance, property tax, food, gasoline, and $100 for extra stuff.

With that extra money I saved up and then bought outright 34 nice acres in the country for about 60k, saved up some more and bought outright a small house, and then worked on designing a house (the design itself took me about two years to complete), and then built the house almost by myself.  It was a 10+ year process, and I only moved into the house I'm building last January.

Now I have a small 1000sf house worth about 80k that I need to sell, and a new 3800sf house on 34 beautiful acres that's probably worth 450k+ that I only spent 250k to buy/build, and no debt.  It takes long-term plans, enormous flexibility, and goals.

I spend money when it should be spent and pay for quality, but if I don't need it I don't buy it.  When I was younger I spent about $350/month on food.  Now I make my own food and barely ever eat out, and I only spend $125/month on better food.  I spend a month of hard labor cutting down trees and splitting them, giving me enough wood for two years, saving me about $1000/year in propane.  There are so many ways to save money, and so many things that you simply don't have to spend money on.  A budget helps, it helps you realize how much you're really spending.  I personally was very surprised years ago when I began budgeting and realized that just going to fast food once a day and buying premade food for half my meals cost me $350/month.  I had no idea - a fast food meal doesn't seem expensive, but it is.

I worked at Kroger when I was younger.  I noticed that the poorest people bought the worst "food."  prepackaged crap, sugar drinks, sugar cereal, etc.  With habits like that no wonder they're poor.  Just spend an hour a day making your own food and you'll have hundreds of dollars extra at the end of the month!
View Quote
An hour a day is expensive. Roughly $1500 of my time over a month...

Do you just not like working for someone else? With .mil experience you can probably find an $80k/yr job with a bit of effort. Add in ~6k/yr from the NG and after taxes you're taking home an extra $40k/yr.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:37:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What businesses? Is that how you run yours? That’s not how I do it, nor anyone I know.
View Quote

Employers and suppliers I have played spreadsheet games with over the years, formerly in food service, retail and logistics. It's an incendiary blanket statement that doesn't apply everywhere, of course, but it's frightening experiencing greedy MBA types and six sigma cultists pushing cash-poor short-sighted JIT crap for margin today at the expense of a functioning business tomorrow.

Just extrapolating the concept beyond the individual poors is all
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:40:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Got an employee who was whining today asking for an advance for next weeks pay (I paid early Thursday for New Years).

Seems like the individual had impulse spending problem and blew $300 on fireworks and $200 on liquor for New Years.  Problem is that he did not have enough money to cover his rent for Jan 2022 that is due Monday.and is also short for diaper money.

Sometimes I just wonder about society.
View Quote

In many cases yes this is exactly true. People are poor because they take having a new phone every year or more (or even more frequent because they treat their technology like it’s unbreakable), think all the streaming services and home delivery of not-inexpensive meals and meal kits are a Basic Human Right, lease vehicles they really cannot afford (or worse, Uber everywhere)… To say nothing of expensive clothing, makeup, spa days, etc.

It’s appalling to those of us who actually care about our money and spend it wisely.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:42:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Thats another thing people get spun up about. Paying for their kids college. Its another “if I could do that AND meet my retirement goals” I would, but I can’t.

I’ve never felt it was my duty to pay for my kids college, but I will help as much as possible with whatever they chose to do. Hopefully not college unless necessary.

My parents had a little money set aside for me which was a pleasant surprise, but I still had to take out 40k in loans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If my kids choose a good program, and complete it, I will help them out afterwards.

It's their burden though, not mine. My job is to encourage them to choose a path that will actually pay out. If they are going to go to college for something stupid, it's my job to tell them it's a massive waste of time and money.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Smart people have no problem affording kids.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:43:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
OP's EE ratings check out
View Quote
EE ratings aren't a reliable indicator of anything beyond someone had x number of deals go good/bad where the other guy bothered to leave a plus or minus
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:44:19 AM EDT
[#35]
I see it all the time at work and I don't really know how to relate.

I grew up in a poorer family. That's what you get raising a family on just a carpenter's salary. We had a little 2/1 house on the rougher side of town that was an REO from the bank, compact foreign economy car in the drive, and a work van dad bought second hand from a general contractor friend. Most of our stuff was bought used and when we updated it was always 2+ generations behind. I think my dad still has an Iphone 5. No vacations except for the yearly family reunion and maybe a hunting trip.

It wasn't a glamorous life, but I don't remember ever wanting for anything important. Even though the house was bought "as is" the interior was immaculate once dad remodeled it.  We never missed a bill or had anything repo'd. There wasn't any financial stress since we never carried any debt except for the house and econobox.

My parents didn't know how to create wealth though. That was their problem. Any excess money just went into a savings account. Now they're dependent on a dad's pension and SS.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:48:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Had an apprentice 6 years ago(right before Trump got elected) and he couldn't understand why he was late on payments for his power bill.

"Damn dude, you go to the gas station at break and lunch spending anywhere from $8-12 each trip.  Are you stopping for breakfast too?"

He inherited a couple million from a never married uncle that passed away from cancer about a year back.

I tried to tell him how to invest or set up a trust so he doesn't burn through it.  I don't hear from him too much anymore (money windfalls can change people) but I heard he was having continued marriage issues and some guys from work saw him driving a new convertible camaro 2-3 months back.

Hopfully he can learn to manage things.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:48:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
One more thing about Dave Ramsey: I disagree with him on a few things but I think his program is a great start for a lot of people.  I'm kind of running out of patience with posts saying people should take advantage of this or use credit to build that, bla bla.  All that stuff can come later as people continue to learn.  Seeing family members continue to struggle with choices that keep them poor has softened my stance on the dude, warts and all.  His product and approach is sound and we'd all be better off if more people used it.
View Quote

When my Nephew turned 18, my dad gave him like $12k he had been saving for him since birth, along with classes that had something to do with Ramsey (not sure exactly what these classes were).

Now my nephew is 22. He has his own place, $30k in the bank and works and goes to college. Whatever Ramsey taught him fucking worked.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:49:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
An hour a day is expensive. Roughly $1500 of my time...

Do you just not like working for someone else? With .mil experience you can probably find an $80k/yr job with a bit of effort. Add in ~6k/yr from the NG and after taxes you're taking home an extra $40k/yr.
View Quote

$1500/hr for you time?! Wtf?!

He seems completely content with his lifestyle.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If my kids choose a good program, and complete it, I will help them out afterwards.

It's their burden though, not mine. My job is to encourage them to choose a path that will actually pay out. If they are going to go to college for something stupid, it's my job to tell them it's a massive waste of time and money.
View Quote

That’s our stance as well
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:53:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You seem to employ a lot of people who make very poor decisions.
View Quote

one could argue employing such people is a poor decision
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:56:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

When my Nephew turned 18, my dad gave him like $12k he had been saving for him since birth, along with classes that had something to do with Ramsey (not sure exactly what these classes were).

Now my nephew is 22. He has his own place, $30k in the bank and works and goes to college. Whatever Ramsey taught him fucking worked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One more thing about Dave Ramsey: I disagree with him on a few things but I think his program is a great start for a lot of people.  I'm kind of running out of patience with posts saying people should take advantage of this or use credit to build that, bla bla.  All that stuff can come later as people continue to learn.  Seeing family members continue to struggle with choices that keep them poor has softened my stance on the dude, warts and all.  His product and approach is sound and we'd all be better off if more people used it.

My parents have been budgeting with an envelope system for decades. Wife and I have been doing the envelopes since we started our budget. It’s too easy.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:59:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It's a training and culture issue.
Once a person is raised a certain way it is very difficult to get their head rewired in a way that is more useful and less chaotic(exciting).
View Quote

Some truth to this. Many inmates have the same mentality on this and other things.  We recognize this in corrections and have instituted programs that deal with this over the past few years with some success.  

We call it moral recognition therapy with sub programs to deal with peoples thinking patterns.  

Have better success than we thought when we implemented the programs. We were hoping for a 5-10 percent success rate and have been having a 28-35 percent success rate on changing bad thinking habits.  

Even some hard core staff who thought these programs were a waste a time have commented that these programs actually work after seeing them in place over several years.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:59:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Nothing wrong with blowing all your money on fireworks and booze.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dude.... I'm in the wrong business.

Please tell me this is gross not net so I can feel less shitty about myself.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 12:03:19 PM EDT
[#45]
No im poorer because the government steals my money
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 12:03:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would also like to know because that's like 3,120,000 a year.

Link Posted: 1/2/2022 12:03:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I know of a couple who lived in a trailer park. They bought a couple of thousand dollar cats - then they got booted from the park for non payment of lot fees.
View Quote

My mom lives in a trailer park. She borrows money from both my brother and me constantly. She just "saved up" enough money to buy a $1200 dog and take the road trip to Oregon, including hotel rooms, to pick it up. She's the most manipulative human I've ever met.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 12:10:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Its kind of funny, this is often something attributed to millennials but I have seen it become more and more prevalent across all ages as time goes on.

I mean lets not pretend that we don't all see the old people working fast food or jobs at Walmart. Some of it is unfortunate circumstances sure, but there was also a lot of this same mentality by boomers, Gen X'ers and so on. The party and buy shit now, save later catches up to a lot of people fast.

Its really sad to see people I work with live like that. Guy's in their 60's working 60 hours a week because he can't afford to stop doing it because that Duramax and Bass boat won't pay for themselves. Guy's in their 40's who won't accept that they can't afford a 6 bedroom house on 10 acres on the 40-50k a year they make. And young guys who just started working at 18, making 300-400 a week at most who still live at home, but somehow only have 30 bucks left at the end of each week. One kid was bragging about his 2,000 buck tire and rim package he smartly financed, whose also the same kid who bails on work every other week because his truck "broke down" and eats out every lunch, and has on average 13-20 bucks left each week. He's now brilliantly added yet another bill to his budget for tires and rims.

My wife's friend has a ghetto sister who is living in a hotel right now with her baby daddy, neither of them working with kids who are all "disabled". They promised the kids they were all going to get gaming laptops and had everyone get their kids accessories for those said laptops.. Sadly I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up actually getting the laptops too. They'll get a bunch of high dollar laptops and likely end up pawning them to pay for food or the hotel bill.

So many people would finance a hotdog for 36 months if it was an option. We all laugh at the "finance this pizza with 4 easy payments" because it seems ridiculous. But just about everything now has financing available. Hell a few T shirts I ordered last week had that option.

People by and large are losing all impulse control.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FBwWaUNXoAg1Vld?format=jpg&name=900x900
View Quote

holy fuck it's real
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 12:11:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I didn't mean fancy things, I meant nice things.

You said you worked hard to buy your place, there is a reason you bought it I'm sure. You probably really enjoy it there wanted to own it outright.

Do you not buy well made tools and clothes when needed?

My place isn't fancy, but it's comfortable, and it's well placed. Same with my shop, it's not large, but it's functional. They are nice things, and worth working for.
View Quote
I paid cash for my place because it was land, which I suppose qualifies as a nice thing to me.
My house is a single wide because that is all I need, 4 walls and a roof. Anything more than that will mean less happiness, as I learned living in my stick built house, it felt like a fucking anchor.
My place I can do what ever I want with it to make into what I want and need without giving one fuck about market value or what a future buyer will find acceptable. There is very little invested so I don't have to care(obviously I care to maintain it).

Yes, that is true about buying quality, but that's just so I don't have to buy something twice and ending up costing more in the long run. Good enough for my needs is all I need, nice doesn't factor in. Sometimes Harbor Freight tools will work sometimes higher quality is needed, Snap-On is never required.

Lol, full disclosure: If I listed my reloading and shooting related equipment you would call me a fucking liar. But all that nice, unneeded shit is for efficiency, saving time and precision. I don't own or want anything Dillon so there's that.

Link Posted: 1/2/2022 12:13:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think most prostitutes work full-time
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top