BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 5:33:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m not sure about the RPG -7 idea.  The life span of the poor bastard carrying one of these with a back pack full of rockets has got to be short.  Like, real short.  Think about it:  a dozen dudes  coming at you armed with AK’s and maybe PKM or two plus one asshole with a rocket launcher.  Who do you shoot first?
View Quote
Except now the squad is organized around the RPG in 3 man firing groups, every soldier is wearing a rocket carrier and the assault element is giving most of theirs to the overwatch element to rain into your position that they are about to storm.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Dedicated man portable recoilless rifles in the rifle squads of an assault company would have completely changed the manner in which the US Army or Marine Corps conducted its assaults.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
RPG-7, Carl Gustav, or some sort of man portable explosive similar.

Anything explosive, simple, (reasonably) accurate, and lightweight would've made the largest differences.

Small arms are sweet, but stuff that knocks out armor, and buildings makes more sense to me in an infantry context.

In terms of infantry rifles though: MAS 49/56.
View Quote
This. Except I'd vote AR15/AR18 for the rifle. A compact, low-recoil, lightweight(Sub-8 pound) carbine carrying 20/30 rounds per magazine, with an effective range of 500/600 yards? And highly effective at putting dicks in the dirt? Not to mention, limited F/A capability for suppressing fire?

It would have outdone every other infantry-issued weapon of the day.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 6:20:03 PM EDT
[#4]
For an infantry rifle, I would try and convince them to build a cross between an AR15, and the new Mutant rifle that shoots 7.62x39 because of the stronger bolt and barrel extension of the Mutant...and I would have the rifle shoot a cartridge similar to the 6.5 Grendel.  More accurate and harder hitting at longer ranges than the 5.56x45, with less recoil than the 7.62x39.

With that said, a smaller Carl Gustav recoilless rifle makes a lot of sense for attacking armor and buildings.  I suppose it could be argued that a 40mm grenade launcher is a "rifle" as the bore does have some rifling in it.  Without more information about the mission the weapon would be expected to fulfill, there are too many good possibilities.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 7:49:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Ultimax 100, but with wood furniture
http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/3/33/U100_Mk3_Stock.jpg/450px-U100_Mk3_Stock.jpg

Chambered in a modified .30 carbine using a Zinc diecast 85gr Spitzer projectile at 2200fps. This would further reduce recoil, improve penetration, and give a projectile that would more rapidly tumble. Cartridge weight would be 11 grams, a bit less then 5.56, and less then 1/2 the weight of .45 acp or .30-06. Zinc die cast was a popular method of manufacturing toys at the time, and would allow simple mass production of lightweight projectiles. The round would be effective to 200 yards.  
http://www.oldammo.com/30CarbProofB.JPG

The Ultimax would serve to replace 3 weapons - the Thompson, the BAR, and the M1 carbine. With it's constant recoil full auto, and extended capacity magazines (100rd drums and 45rd box magazines) it would offer superior firepower and full auto accuracy then any individual weapon used in the war. It would be the ideal weapon for fighting in the Pacific, as well as urban combat and assaulting positions in Europe.
View Quote
An M1 Carbine weighs a little over 5 pounds. That thing weighs over 10...
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 8:45:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Kevlar. They were close to it already.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 8:56:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
skip a step, and step on John Garand's toes.........take the plans for the M14 back in time. It would not be too bizarre for the DoD to consider, they were already familiar with detachable mags on rifles, consider the B. A. R., it could have been produced to fire the '03 cartridge, and it had a wood stock which would have made the procuring department comfortable.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 9:06:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Dedicated man portable recoilless rifles in the rifle squads of an assault company would have completely changed the manner in which the US Army or Marine Corps conducted its assaults.
View Quote
The US Army had man portable recoilless rifles during World War II, and they proved very effective. They later proved effective
in Korea as seen here.

Link Posted: 11/6/2017 9:08:51 PM EDT
[#9]
W88.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 9:18:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The US Army had man portable recoilless rifles during World War II, and they proved very effective. They later proved effective
in Korea as seen here.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e7/Soldier-firing-M18A1-recoilless-rifle-korea.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
in Korea as seen here.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e7/Soldier-firing-M18A1-recoilless-rifle-korea.jpg
Huh, did not know that, always thought the recoilless rifle missed combat in WW2. I know it and the super bazooka were loved for infantry combat in Korea for bunker busting HE work.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 9:20:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The M1 was supposed to be chambered in a 270 cartridge. But Macarthur said no because we had enough 30-06 to fight 6-12 months at WWI levels.
View Quote
The more important factor is that when decision for the Garand in .276 came across McCarthur’s desk, we were in the middle of the Great Depression and we didn’t have the money to buy all new ammo, rebarrel MGs, etc.

According to a strict interpretation of the OP, as it seems has so far been noted, we would need to also take manufacturing capabilities of the time into consideration. So no stamped receiver guns, the tech wasn’t there yet.

So we need .30-06 in a gun that could have been made in the ‘30s, which brings us back full circle to the M1 IMHO.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 9:24:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd take them an FN P90 with a red dot sight. They'd shit themselves.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 9:39:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Huh, did not know that, always thought the recoilless rifle missed combat in WW2. I know it and the super bazooka were loved for infantry combat in Korea for bunker busting HE work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
in Korea as seen here.

The famous Carl Gustav?
Did you know there was a 1942 model?

check this out!!

Carl Gustav m/42: A 20mm Recoilless Antitank Rifle
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 9:46:31 PM EDT
[#14]
modern BODY ARMOR
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 12:30:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

According to a strict interpretation of the OP, as it seems has so far been noted, we would need to also take manufacturing capabilities of the time into consideration. So no stamped receiver guns, the tech wasn’t there yet.
View Quote
I've been looking into it, and stamped steel was very much a part of 1930's manufacturing in the US - first employed in bicycle manufacturing around the turn of the century, then in the automobile industry, then in commercial small products.

Here's a Rickenbacker 1930s Model 59 stamped sheet steel guitar - if they could make this, they should be able to make a basic stamped steel box receiver:

And of course, the 1942 Greese Gun was almost entirely stamped sheet metal:

What's also interesting is that Bakelite plastic manufacturing was also pretty advanced by the 1930's - here's a 1930's era hair dryer. So it wouldn't be out of line to expect the ability to form rifle furniture and magazines:
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 12:42:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 12:53:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That's definitely an interesting answer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Ultimax 100, but with wood furniture
http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/3/33/U100_Mk3_Stock.jpg/450px-U100_Mk3_Stock.jpg

Chambered in a modified .30 carbine using a Zinc diecast 85gr Spitzer projectile at 2200fps. This would further reduce recoil, improve penetration, and give a projectile that would more rapidly tumble. Cartridge weight would be 11 grams, a bit less then 5.56, and less then 1/2 the weight of .45 acp or .30-06. Zinc die cast was a popular method of manufacturing toys at the time, and would allow simple mass production of lightweight projectiles. The round would be effective to 200 yards.  
http://www.oldammo.com/30CarbProofB.JPG

The Ultimax would serve to replace 3 weapons - the Thompson, the BAR, and the M1 carbine. With it's constant recoil full auto, and extended capacity magazines (100rd drums and 45rd box magazines) it would offer superior firepower and full auto accuracy then any individual weapon used in the war. It would be the ideal weapon for fighting in the Pacific, as well as urban combat and assaulting positions in Europe.
That's definitely an interesting answer.
Well, I chose the Ultimax in .30 carbine improved for several reasons:
1. It could have been manufactured at the time
2. It provides a unique and tremendous capability that was lacking in the War (a one man portable base of fire suitable for both defense and the assault.
3. I could have sold it to the War Department

#3 is really the ticket. The War department in the 1930's was coming from a crop of WW1 veterans, whose combat experience involved trench warfare. And so they were looking for basically two types of weapons - a long range, full power rifle suitable for shooting hundreds of yards across no mans land, and close quarters "trench brooms" suitable for the assault.

I think if I had showed up with FAL - they would have said, "eh, that's pretty cool, but we don't need high capacity magazines for long range fire, and it will encourage soldiers to waste ammo. And since it's uncontrollable in full auto, it doesn't work as well in that role as the BAR."

But the Ultimax - any WW1 vet who had to go over the top, storm across no mans land, and then clear trenches would see the utility of a 45-100rd, controllable bullet hose. This would have been further impressed upon their minds by the extensive use of the Thompson SMG by both sides of the law during the Roaring Twenties.

So, they love the Thompson, and now here's a gun that weighs the same, but has 2x the capacity, 3x the range and power, with ammo that weighs 1/2 as much and with 1/4 the recoil.  

I'd have been rich
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 1:47:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
modern BODY ARMOR
View Quote
I have mixed feelings about that one.

Body armor is one thing when you’re a motorized or mechanized infantry dude working a neighborhood and trying to survive sniper attacks, IEDs, and quick ambushes. But marching across countries, storming beaches, and maneuvering under fire from an opposing army? I’m not sure I’d want that 40+ pounds of extra weight on my body.

If your goal is to reduce the casualty count, improving the “golden hour” response time is probably the best way to do that. Medical advances have been huge, but I think no other development has played a bigger role than transport helicopters.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 1:59:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 2:03:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
No detailed plans but an exploded diagram and an understanding of how it works.  Something like this:  https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Pub/schematic/SKS_Type45_schem.jpg
View Quote

Actually I agree this would be the best choice.

An AK *would* be better, but the procurement powers of the time would be too short-sighted to accept it. They didn’t even want a detachable mag for the Garand.

The hinged bayonet probably would’ve sold them on the SKS
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 2:09:26 AM EDT
[#21]
AK 47

The people in charge would be too old and dumb to realize how useful it would be though. They'd wonder why it wasn't 30-06
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 2:27:35 AM EDT
[#22]
30-06 VEPR
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 4:18:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have mixed feelings about that one.

Body armor is one thing when you’re a motorized or mechanized infantry dude working a neighborhood and trying to survive sniper attacks, IEDs, and quick ambushes. But marching across countries, storming beaches, and maneuvering under fire from an opposing army? I’m not sure I’d want that 40+ pounds of extra weight on my body.

If your goal is to reduce the casualty count, improving the “golden hour” response time is probably the best way to do that. Medical advances have been huge, but I think no other development has played a bigger role than transport helicopters.
View Quote
I'm curious if the metallurgy of 1930's-1940's could have produced an AR500 armor steel equivalent to what we have today?

If it could, an interesting option would have been issuing a single, front chest plate (Rhodesian style.) Weight for a single plate and nylon/canvas carrier would have been 7-9lbs, and it would have been very useful for charging machinegun nests, storming beaches, and other assault actions where you are charging the enemy.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 4:49:08 AM EDT
[#24]
PKM
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 8:06:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The French had a true intermediate cartridge, the 8x35mm, and a selective fire assault rifle feeding from high capacity detachable magazines in 1918.
It died with the end of the war due to unacceptable accuracy past 400 meters.

The Americans never even recognized the German 7.92x33mm Kurz or StG44 as anything but a poorly conceived last ditch weapon inferior to
the M1.

That's how far out of touch US Army ordnance was until introduced to the AK47 in Vietnam......
View Quote
@Gunwritr

Did the 8x35 have issues feeding due to the rim?

Weren't the French very open-minded during this period of time with regard to firearms design?
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 8:35:30 AM EDT
[#26]
It's not what to give them, it's who to give it too....

Who would be the right person to run with the design you take back.....
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 8:45:10 AM EDT
[#27]
AR-10
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 4:37:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

@Gunwritr

Did the 8x35 have issues feeding due to the rim?

Weren't the French very open-minded during this period of time with regard to firearms design?
View Quote
I would expect the rim to have caused problems, they should have spun it off.

Yes, the French were very forward thinking, from bullet design to semi-auto rifles.

Garand kept a French Mle 1917 semi-auto rifle in his office.....
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm curious if the metallurgy of 1930's-1940's could have produced an AR500 armor steel equivalent to what we have today?

If it could, an interesting option would have been issuing a single, front chest plate (Rhodesian style.) Weight for a single plate and nylon/canvas carrier would have been 7-9lbs, and it would have been very useful for charging machinegun nests, storming beaches, and other assault actions where you are charging the enemy.
View Quote
The US Army bought steel body armor plates during World War I, tens of thousands of them with carriers.....but never issued them
due to the weight. The soldiers of the time typically carried 65 pounds of gear going over the top as it was.

plate carriers are not new, but the quality of today's steel plates are much better

WWI US soldier with front and back plate, arm guards and helmet which were developed but did not see issue
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#30]
This rifle, along with the plane that attaches to it.

Link Posted: 11/7/2017 5:55:16 PM EDT
[#31]
mini 30 is the answer    enough wood and 30 caliber   magazine fed   and dont go to the arsenal or procurment   do like stoner did ,demonstrate your rifle to the people that actually will be using it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 7:12:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Whatever you present had better be chambered in .30-06, because that's all that's getting built.
View Quote
This is absolutely correct.  After WWI, there were enormous stocks of 30-06 in the US military.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 7:15:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This rifle, along with the plane that attaches to it.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e7/GAU-8_Avenger_contrast.jpg
View Quote
How about a Viet Nam vintage DC-3 Magic Dragon?
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 7:23:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 7:24:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Chambered in 6.5 Grendel-
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 7:25:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 7:28:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Wood furnatured AR10. 

But i would be an ass and bring one with me. Why?  Because All I would need to prove my point would be a magazine of full auto after blatantly tossing it and a garland into a vat of mud.

garand: BANG- click

ar10- BRAAAAP 
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#38]
totally useless to them.

They would have lacked the ability to manufacture the fissile material.

something useful would be the gas defuser schematics, the magnetron schematics and the steps for uranium hexafluoride production and how to make plutonium without poisoning the reactor.

that would shorten the war.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 7:37:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
This is absolutely correct.  After WWI, there were enormous stocks of 30-06 in the US military.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whatever you present had better be chambered in .30-06, because that's all that's getting built.
They could have retired all of that to the National Guard/ home Defense/ Navy etc. Think of the damage they would have done with a mag fed M1 Garand in .260 Remington! And a scaled down M2 for that too! the horror. For Nazis!
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 7:41:04 PM EDT
[#40]
AKM, RPK, and M92 submitted to Maj. Gen William C Lee. Sell them as the perfect paratrooper's weapon with enough firepower from every man to hit far above their weight. If you could get them ensconced there they'd spread everywhere else. Get them to either adopt a 7.62x39 with a true .308 bullet, or appeal to the War Department's range and accuracy fetish by swapping for a 6.5x39 loading.

But if you *really* want to change the course of WW2, take back a post war T2 Tanker that had been converted to a container ship. Implementing palletized/intermodal cargo handling methods would have drastically cut down on the Allies' logistical strain.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 7:44:03 PM EDT
[#41]
For small arms, what would have made the biggest impact remains what has already been posted,

a 4x scope

A compact, easy to manufacture, rugged and robust design with a wide FOV would have dramatically
increased hit probability. Carl Zeiss had invented the illuminated reticle in 1922, so it could have
illumination for low light use. This would have been a big deal. The biggest issue would be sealing it
against moisture.

BDC reticle for the M2 ball load
A 7 degree FOV
A large easy to see aiming point for close range shots
BDC marks going to 1,000 yards to satisfy the thinking of the day
Once zeroed, put the caps on and never touch the knobs.
Battery powered illumination similar to a PSO-1

Design it for easy and simplicity of manufacture with a minimum of parts.

The value of a optical sights on individual rifles at the squad level was lost on everyone
during the war except the Soviets. It was a game changer on the Eastern Front and they fully
embraced the concept afterwards.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 8:09:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You think they’d accept anything but a wood and metal gun in the 30s?
View Quote
Would love to see Wood SCAR
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#43]
The PKM.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 9:04:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
For small arms, what would have made the biggest impact remains what has already been posted,

a 4x scope

A compact, easy to manufacture, rugged and robust design with a wide FOV would have dramatically
increased hit probability. Carl Zeiss had invented the illuminated reticle in 1922, so it could have
illumination for low light use. This would have been a big deal. The biggest issue would be sealing it
against moisture.

BDC reticle for the M2 ball load
A 7 degree FOV
A large easy to see aiming point for close range shots
BDC marks going to 1,000 yards to satisfy the thinking of the day
Once zeroed, put the caps on and never touch the knobs.
Battery powered illumination similar to a PSO-1

Design it for easy and simplicity of manufacture with a minimum of parts.

The value of a optical sights on individual rifles at the squad level was lost on everyone
during the war except the Soviets. It was a game changer on the Eastern Front and they fully
embraced the concept afterwards.
View Quote
I don't think they had the capabilities to mass produce optics like that, or doing so would have exceeded manpower capabilities at the time. I think much early optics work was very labor intensive, though I'm by no means an expert in the field... whatever field this would be. I do know that the Navy sent out a call to mooch Binoculars off the populace when the war started up here, so they weren't flush with optics.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 10:39:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Why the M1 Carbine was already a superior design; lighter, handier, superior sights, and used detachable magazines

You could argue what the carbine needed was a better round.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No detailed plans but an exploded diagram and an understanding of how it works.  Something like this:  https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Pub/schematic/SKS_Type45_schem.jpg

Why the M1 Carbine was already a superior design; lighter, handier, superior sights, and used detachable magazines

You could argue what the carbine needed was a better round.
Welcome to my other thread.  

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/If-the-M1-Carbine-had-been-chambered-in-7-62-x-39-300-Blk-5-56-would-we-still-be-using-it-/5-2047608/
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top