View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except for the first 20 minutes to get to cruising altitude, and the last 20 minutes, to descend... So 2/3 of the flight there's no reclining. And if they are serving drinks during that 20 minutes, it's not going to be much of a nap.

No.  It's nowhere near that long.  Maybe 5-10 minutes from takeoff to altitude.

Takeoff restrictions end at 10K feet.  I was on two flights las week that hit that fast since there were only 25 people on a Max 8 and the pilots were having some fun.  Very steep attack angles coming out.

There is no recline restrictions once the wheels leave the ground.

https://media1.giphy.com/media/3oz8xLd9DJq2l2VFtu/200w.webp?cid=ecf05e478epm0hwm64024v2juc5dta38auuxjwhj1h4zyzpd&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200w.webp&ct=g

8900.1,Vol.3,Ch33,Sec3

https://i.imgur.com/t2xCvzP.png

The takeoff phase does not end when the wheels leave the ground.

Did you even read what you posted?
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Most domestic flights are less than 2 hours and I'm not an asshole.

If I'm sitting in front of a kid or fairly short person, maybe, but I usually don't bother either way.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

There are zero instructions for passengers about when they can recline. You had to look up rules that are not given or enforced to try and win an argument you already lost. Grow up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I had to check:

"Interestingly, the FAA regulations actually mandate that the pilot must not takeoff until all seats are upright, while the passengers are only commanded to obey flight attendant instructions in the matter.FAR 121.311

no certificate holder may take off or land an airplane unless each passenger seat back is in the upright position. Each passenger shall comply with instructions given by a crewmember in compliance with this paragraph.

Takeoff is defined in 25.111 as

The takeoff path extends from a standing start to a point in the takeoff at which the airplane is 1,500 feet above the takeoff surface, or at which the transition from the takeoff to the en route configuration is completed and VFTO is reached, whichever point is higher.

So technically, after climbing 1500 feet (in most cases) you are out of "takeoff" and should be able to recline your seat. But guessing your distance climbed is difficult, so the chimes at 10,000 are probably your best guide, as mentioned by @Johns-305. Frequently these days I have also heard an announcement that larger electronics such as laptops can now be used, as those are restricted below 10,000 feet"

So, you are the one who is full of shit, ok.  
You have been calling people liars and idiots when you don't know the rules yourself.  
What an arogant dolt you are.  

There are zero instructions for passengers about when they can recline. You had to look up rules that are not given or enforced to try and win an argument you already lost. Grow up.

Everyone with an IQ above room temp knows recline is permitted when the seat belt chime goes off, generally in conjunction with completion of the after takeoff/climb checklists. The flight attendants aren't in the cabin making people sit up on takeoff because they are required to sit down and buckle up like everybody else.

I referenced the rule above, you can quit making shit up now.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Everyone with an IQ above room temp knows recline is permitted when the seat belt chime goes off, generally in conjunction with completion of the after takeoff/climb checklists. The flight attendants aren't in the cabin making people sit up on takeoff because they are required to sit down and buckle up like everybody else.

I referenced the rule above, you can quit making shit up now.
View Quote

What was my assertion?

That the moment you lift off you can recline. So far no one has shown anything different. You sure as fuck failed.

No one with an above room temperature IQ would assert something then post proof that said  nothing to support the assertion.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 5:24:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What was my assertion?

That the moment you lift off you can recline. So far no one has shown anything different. You sure as fuck failed.

No one with an above room temperature IQ would assert something then post proof that said  nothing to support the assertion.
View Quote

Read it again smart guy.

Seats upright for takeoff and landing. The takeoff phase does not end when the wheels leave the ground.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Read it again smart guy.

Seats upright for takeoff and landing. The takeoff phase does not end when the wheels leave the ground.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What was my assertion?

Read it again smart guy.

Your last sentence is not in the proof you posted. You made that shit up and keep acting like it is part of a rule. It is not part of the passenger instructions so it is not a rule.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 5:32:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Your last sentence is not in the proof you posted. You made that shit up and keep acting like it is part of a rule. It is not part of the passenger instructions so it is not a rule.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What was my assertion?

Read it again smart guy.

The burden of proof is on you to support your assertion that the takeoff is over when wheels are off the ground.

Hint: it isn't.

"The flight attendants didn't make me" is not valid supporting evidence.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 5:40:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's basically the point of the "non-recline" faction. They couldn't squeeze the seats closer together even if they removed reclining. That's why recliners get bumped, kicked, seatback used as a grabrail etc. There just isn't enough room for people who aren't manlets.

Soon, we'll be able to pay extra for the high-row, non-fart option and boarding will take 3x as long while we all wait for boomers to clamber up into their luxury deck.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F5JOufxWgAEPsVh?format=jpg&name=large
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
the airlines are stupid for keeping the reclining option instead of just running fixed/no recline exit row seats all through coach.  Taking the recline mechanisms out would reduce weight, saving fuel over the entire fleets (and reduce carbon footprints! all that carbon!!!), also reduce maintenance costs, and fixed seats streamlines movement in the plane (especially unloading).

Of course, the airlines being what they are would use taking the reclining out to force the seats even closer together so that my knees are pre-jammed into the row ahead.  They are all about customer love that way.

Exactly right.

No Recline, not the fault of the guy in front of me.

But the Airlines would screw that up too.

"Hey, we can get an extra row in now!!!!!!!"

That's basically the point of the "non-recline" faction. They couldn't squeeze the seats closer together even if they removed reclining. That's why recliners get bumped, kicked, seatback used as a grabrail etc. There just isn't enough room for people who aren't manlets.

Soon, we'll be able to pay extra for the high-row, non-fart option and boarding will take 3x as long while we all wait for boomers to clamber up into their luxury deck.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F5JOufxWgAEPsVh?format=jpg&name=large
You mean fat asses....
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 5:45:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The burden of proof is on you to support your assertion that the takeoff is over when wheels are off the ground.

Hint: it isn't.

"The flight attendants didn't make me" is not valid supporting evidence.
View Quote

Your new rule is not in the flight attendant instructions therefore it isn't a rule. You can't just make shit up.

I'm out. You no reclining idiots are far worse than any democrat.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Cannot believe this thing is still going. . .

OP, reclining the seat is your prerogative. From a dude that is 6'5", go slow man. My knees will thank you.

C-suite gets the leg room. The proles have to fly in steerage.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 6:04:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I had to check:

"Interestingly, the FAA regulations actually mandate that the pilot must not takeoff until all seats are upright, while the passengers are only commanded to obey flight attendant instructions in the matter.FAR 121.311

no certificate holder may take off or land an airplane unless each passenger seat back is in the upright position. Each passenger shall comply with instructions given by a crewmember in compliance with this paragraph.

Takeoff is defined in 25.111 as

The takeoff path extends from a standing start to a point in the takeoff at which the airplane is 1,500 feet above the takeoff surface, or at which the transition from the takeoff to the en route configuration is completed and VFTO is reached, whichever point is higher.

So technically, after climbing 1500 feet (in most cases) you are out of "takeoff" and should be able to recline your seat. But guessing your distance climbed is difficult, so the chimes at 10,000 are probably your best guide, as mentioned by @Johns-305. Frequently these days I have also heard an announcement that larger electronics such as laptops can now be used, as those are restricted below 10,000 feet"

So, you are the one who is full of shit, ok.  
You have been calling people liars and idiots when you don't know the rules yourself.  
What an arogant dolt you are.  

I am not the one who needs to "grow up" here. Some rules are lightly enforced, we get that, thank God.  But you are wrong.  FAA says so.  It does not take long to meet the requirement, but it is not "when the wheels leave the ground".  You cannot afford my hourly, but I had some time to kill.  But enough now, piss off.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 6:52:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Bingo. Geez, seats barely recline anymore to begin with. Makes me wonder how many people in this thread travel much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I travel for a living and never give a second thought to a person reclining their seat. They pay for the seat and the space it occupies. Pretty simple.  You can utilize the same option if you so choose.

I don't recline simply because I don't find it comfortable.

Bingo. Geez, seats barely recline anymore to begin with. Makes me wonder how many people in this thread travel much.

This. Prior to this last year I rarely flew anywhere, but since January I’ve already lost track of how many commercial flights I’ve been on. It’s almost impossible to tell if the seat in front of me is reclined unless a seat next to it is fully forward, so I can see the slight 1-2” difference in seat back location.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:50:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:54:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 12:10:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You've flown thousands of flights, and somehow don't have enough points to get upgraded to a bigger seat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In thousands of flights, it's bothered me once.

Nobody believes you've flown 1000s of commercial flights.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/idgas_zpsiohwxh7k_GIF-112.gif

You've flown thousands of flights, and somehow don't have enough points to get upgraded to a bigger seat.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/5/2023 12:29:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You’ve flown thousands of flights, and somehow don’t have enough points to get upgraded to a bigger seat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You’ve flown thousands of flights, and somehow don’t have enough points to get upgraded to a bigger seat.

Sometimes I do. Mostly not.

Did you not have enough points or money to upgrade to a bigger seat from Germany?

Weird how math works.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:52:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Still going huh...

Now we have a nice segue into an argument over when takeoff ends lol

2023 thread of the year!
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 2:01:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Still going huh...

Now we have a nice segue into an argument over when takeoff ends lol

2023 thread of the year!
View Quote

Start another thread! We'll need new bait to bring in the college-educated landing-gear actuators.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 7:23:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 7:52:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What if I told you, you can regain the exact same spacing between your seat back and the one in front of you................by reclining your own seat?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Only assholes recline their seats.  No concern for anyone but themselves.

What if I told you, you can regain the exact same spacing between your seat back and the one in front of you................by reclining your own seat?  

Show your work… lol

For most of us the problem isn’t the seat back, it’s the loss of legroom. If my knees are already providing you lumbar support with your seat up, imagine how it will be with it mashed back.

Link Posted: 9/5/2023 8:02:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you have some personal problem that my reclined seat causes you then you need to either find some other mode of travel or pay for a section of the airplane that gives you more room.
View Quote

oh brother

muh seat, muh right ?
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 8:18:59 AM EDT
[#22]
OP,

I may not decide whether you recline your seat or not, but you don't get to decide how you wake up.
Everything in life is a trade-off.

Sleep well
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 8:58:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Recline / don't recline.....I don't care as long as you're not fat.  Fat fucks should be shoved into pens in the cargo hold.....don't worry we'll throw some slop in bucket for you.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:03:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
OP,

I may not decide whether you recline your seat or not, but you don't get to decide how you wake up.
Everything in life is a trade-off.

Sleep well
View Quote

You won’t do shit when someone in front of you reclines.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 2:28:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I just don’t care.  My six foot, 190 pound body was perfectly happy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sometimes I do. Mostly not.

Did you not have enough points or money to upgrade to a bigger seat from Germany?

Weird how math works.

I just don’t care.  My six foot, 190 pound body was perfectly happy.

So you like being jammed in a seat close to other dudes?

Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:54:32 PM EDT
[#27]

I'm guessing we will get a "OMG that's assault, he's going to jail!" In less than 10 posts.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:55:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Only assholes recline their seats.  No concern for anyone but themselves.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 9:46:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Sixteen pages for this difference:

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 10:44:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:12:21 PM EDT
[#31]
One time, some.years ago, Mitt Romney physically manhandled a rapper that had leaned his seat back on the plane. They ended up squaring off, shit got dicey. Mittens said the Grammy nominated rapper swung at him, but nobody went to jail.
Simpler times.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:15:14 PM EDT
[#32]

WHAT KIND OF FUCKING MONSTER
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:16:52 PM EDT
[#33]
But your knees brah! They're crushed now and you can't walk!
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#34]

It's been a hot minute since I've flown, but I seem to recall the seats going back a little further than that...
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 6:07:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It's been a hot minute since I've flown, but I seem to recall the seats going back a little further than that...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The "It's muh civil rights to recline duh seat however I want, it's in the Constitution..." club doesn't even know what a fully reclined seat looks like.

But they want to argue that it's the norm.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 6:50:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/6/2023 9:22:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It depends.  Long overseas flights normally go back farther.  The other part of the equation is "sliding pan" seats.  The bottom of the seat slides forward some so the back doesn't go as far back.  Economy plus/premium/etc is usually not that expensive when available if someone really needs it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 9:27:58 PM EDT
[#38]
@bronsonburner

1. I’m not stroking out. These fucks are my entertainment. I don’t have cable or streaming services after all

2. Is it still a super fun, parody thread?
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 9:31:14 PM EDT
[#39]
My knees say otherwise lol
Page / 16
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top