Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/30/2010 8:12:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What maximum speed would a U-Haul truck be capable of attaining? Are these vehicles governed?
I have an itching to get my hands on a truck and then shoplift a 12 pack of beer from a gas station and lead police on a high speed chase across 2 counties

From the sound of a previous post, at least 95 in Georgia overdrive. A good tailwind and you'd be at 105 plus, easy. That's nucking futz.

Rob
Link Posted: 6/30/2010 8:22:05 PM EDT
[#2]
don't tell people to fuck you up and whine when you get the equivalent of a noogie from your uncle.
Link Posted: 6/30/2010 8:52:22 PM EDT
[#3]
In 2006, I moved my SO from North Carolina to PA and we discovered ABF UPack movers. SO MUCH WIN!!! It was about the same price as a renting a truck and paying for gas and WAAAAY cheaper than pods, they dropped off the trailer, I filled it with her shit, they picked it up and dropped it off in front of  her place in PA, I unpacked it  and they picked it back up the following day! It truly was that simple. I cannot imagine doing a long distance move any other way. We paid approx. $900 to move a 2 bedroom apartment. The only issue with Upack is that they charge by the foot so if you go over your allotted space by an inch, they charge you an extra fee. Overall, the whole process was very painless. I didn't have to worry about neither driving a shitty Uhaul long distance nor paying for gas. For about the same money, I would definitely prefer not to have to drive a Uhaul.

Three years ago, I rented a Uhaul to move into my current home. The old early 90's Ford 24' was simply old, beat to hell and probably had some awesome war stories. Having driven an early 90's Ford, with a totally shitty power steering pump, one NEVER forgets that sound, I knew the pump was fucked as soon as I started that elderly bastard and heard that old, familiar, whirring sound. I asked the Uhaul guy about the pump and he said either take that truck or I would have to wait until the following day for another truck. Having planned this move for over a month and needing to be out of my place that day, I took that crusty old bastard and prayed the frigging pump would last one more day! While attempting to three point turn that old girl into my driveway, I knew that old sumbitch was gone, as I needed both arms and legs, in order to wrestle her old ass into the driveway of my new (to me) house. I've wrestled some old, fat, ornery, steers in my lifetime but usually I was drunk and it was after 2am..... However, I was thankful that she held herself together long enough, that I was able to get her home, so I could unload my stuff.

I called Uhaul and told them to send a hearse because that ancient girl finally kicked the bucket, and they told me they were sending a mechanic that evening. That fucking truck sat in my driveway for two days before a mechanic finally showed! When the mechanic finally showed at 9PM on the 2nd day (yes... 9pm), he was kind enough to leave a large pool of power steering fluid all over my driveway. The mechanic finished up after midnight, and the Uhaul people rang my phone demanding that I return their truck early the next morning.

I vote with my feet, I will never use Uhaul again.........
Link Posted: 6/30/2010 11:28:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ummmm.    Gau5-A-A.  

You said that you "put it in neutral down a 6% grade"?????????

Ummmmm , Yeah,.............Wow............

OK.  I bashed U Haul earlier in this thread BUT you FUCKED UP    !!!!!ROYALLY!!!!!   K????????

You NEVER, and I repeat _______––––––––-________ NEVER_________––––––––-________

put a big truck in neutral going down a hill.   K????

Your ignorance could very easily have killed an innocent motorist.  K????

Wow.

Perhaps I should clarify.   I didn't start down a 6 degree slope and shift into neutral.

On top of the mountain, the road was about a 1 degree slope downhill, and I had it in 4th gear to maintain 55mph.
As the slope slowly increased, I put it in neutral and coasted quite a ways at 55, to give the tranny a break and save some gas.   As the slope started to increase to 3 degrees, and I saw the road sign indicating 6 degrees ahead, I tried putting it in gear for engine braking, but no go.   Shortly thereafter, the road dropped to 6 degrees, and that's when the "fun" began.

It was hard to shift from the start, and it got worse as the trip progressed.

Guessed I missed the U-Haul safety briefing.

Link Posted: 7/1/2010 12:05:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I once rented a trailer from Uhaul and it was great.

Then I went back to rent a truck from uhaul and the damn thing moved all of my stuff!! The radio did not work, neither did the radio in my DD.

Link Posted: 7/1/2010 2:47:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Considering I plan on moving in two weeks, looks like I will have to pass on using a Uhaul. Thanks for the war stories!
Link Posted: 7/1/2010 3:39:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Good timing on this thread,  the neighbor has a dead U-Haul trailer in his driveway.  He called them to come pick it up two days ago. Frame is cracked right in front of the box.
Link Posted: 7/1/2010 6:29:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Where is the OP? He created this thread and hasn't even addressed a damned issue? Then he runs off. WTF?

I rented a trailer (it was actually new) and took it across country. Worked fine. Had a heart racing moment when it lost traction during a blizzard and had my car swaying lane to lane on the interstate. Other than that, I did as high as 95 MPH with that thing. 55 is just a mere suggestion.
Link Posted: 7/1/2010 3:33:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Where did the OP disappear to?  There are at least a few legitimate questions in these posts

Maybe is is hanging out with Shawnofthedead?
Link Posted: 7/1/2010 3:57:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Luckily I have a 3/4ton Suburban, I might get 8mpg (down from 14 ) with the 6x12 trailer but at least I'm not sitting in a shit-stain from when the brakes died on the last renter. Thankfully I haven't had to rent anything bigger.

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/1/2010 4:37:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/1/2010 4:38:34 PM EDT
[#12]
YOU CALLED DOWN SYSTEM MESSAGE? WELL NOW YOU'VE GOT IT!
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top