Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 9:32:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless you spend a lot of time as a saturation diver, the 300 meter rating and helium release valve is a complete waste of money.  That being said, its your money, spend it as you wish.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 10:26:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Unless you spend a lot of time as a saturation diver, the 300 meter rating and helium release valve is a complete waste of money.  That being said, its your money, spend it as you wish.

A quality watch is like a quality firearm or any other quality item.  You may not need all of the features but the craftsmanship that went into making it lets you know that it will last a lifetime.  I plan to pass my watch on to my son just like I will my firearms.
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 10:54:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a sundial.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 10:57:21 PM EDT
[#4]
The Bell and Ross and the Marathon are great looking watches to my eye.  They make me want to dig in the safe for my watches that I take out for an hour or two once every 5 or 10 years.

Anybody else not even wear a watch anymore?  Not even when diving?  Still, damn, a Bell and Ross Hydromax sure would be fine on the wrist.  OP, see what ya started?
Link Posted: 5/4/2010 11:28:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 2:31:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The Bell and Ross and the Marathon are great looking watches to my eye.  They make me want to dig in the safe for my watches that I take out for an hour or two once every 5 or 10 years.

Anybody else not even wear a watch anymore?  Not even when diving?  Still, damn, a Bell and Ross Hydromax sure would be fine on the wrist.  OP, see what ya started?

Only thing the Hydromax is it's quartz.

I can't cope with ticking anymore.

Link Posted: 5/5/2010 6:53:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Maybe it will take 2.5 times longer to fall apart compared to my 200m water resistant Luminox.

And maybe Luminox customer service will be 2.5 times faster to refuse to fix it under warranty.

http://www.545ar.com/luminox.jpg

This. Luminox is a crap company. Their watches are a joke. After my experiences with them, I won't own another.
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 7:35:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The thing I never understood about these Luminex watches and their tritium vials is, why would a Navy SEAL want to walk around with a small spotlight on his wrist in a tactical situation? Those things shine all the time, there's no turning it off.

I have often wondered about that too...any SEALS or other military here that can confirm what the deal is with that?
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 7:55:34 AM EDT
[#9]
My Timex was $30.  Original battery and band over 5 years old.  I can dive just fine with it....

even off the high dive or a bridge
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 8:08:02 AM EDT
[#10]
My luminox 3100 SS has been ticking along just fine for 5 years now.  The only problem I had was when I got saltwater inside after the crown had come loose.  The little crown protector thingy on the new one above is pretty neat to prevent this.  I do agree their customer service sucks.  Having to send the watch to that jewler up north (saltzmans or something like that) is bullchit.

Of course I do really like the Tag Formula 1 my sis gave me for my 40th bday much better!  Not practical at work in the field.  I'd hate to fuck it up on some concrete or something.

Link Posted: 5/5/2010 8:15:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

missed the chance to buy a type demineur a while back...

still regret it.

Link Posted: 5/5/2010 8:22:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I still always wear a watch when diving. I do some mixed gas decompression diving and I always carry a watch and a set of tables to use as a backup in case my computer(s) fail. Gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling knowing they're there.

Link Posted: 5/5/2010 8:25:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 8:32:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I would not pay that for a Luminox watch.

Heck, I wouldn't pay 1/3 of that for a Luminox watch.
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 8:35:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
2 friggen grand? I got a nice used Sinn UX with braclet for less than that. And this is an actual good watch from an actual good watch company... and its rated to 5000m

+1

too much money for an avg-at-best movement.

$1,800 buys a lot of watch from other more reputable companies.

Link Posted: 5/5/2010 8:39:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The thing I never understood about these Luminex watches and their tritium vials is, why would a Navy SEAL want to walk around with a small spotlight on his wrist in a tactical situation? Those things shine all the time, there's no turning it off.

I have often wondered about that too...any SEALS or other military here that can confirm what the deal is with that?

No SEAL here, but my understanding is that they're issued G-Shocks.

Link Posted: 5/5/2010 8:42:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I would not pay that for a Luminox watch.

Heck, I wouldn't pay 1/3 of that for a Luminox watch.

after all the bad stuff i hear about them, i wouldn't pay 1/10th of what you would pay.

Link Posted: 5/5/2010 8:46:13 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not expert either... however, from a common sense perspective, "tactical" is the last word I would use to describe a watch with tritium lume.

Link Posted: 5/5/2010 8:51:14 AM EDT
[#19]
WTF? They finally come out with another automatic and it's 4x the price of the 1600 series? And 5x uglier?

I hope mine lasts a while, at least long enough for me to find an Omega or whatever is the Arfcom approved automatic of the month. Since I just blew my savings on a new Colt, I'm stuck with this Luminox
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 2:29:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not expert either... however, from a common sense perspective, "tactical" is the last word I would use to describe a watch with tritium lume.  

I thought sleeves would solve this problem.

Tritium really isn't that bright anyway.

That being said, if I was 'operating' I wouldn't want even the minor chance of an automatic being out of sync with other good guys, especially the ones launching the ordinance.

The G-Shock would he a good choice.
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 2:54:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Here's my Tutima DI300 watch.  They retail for $1800.00 but I've seen them discounted to $1350.00.

• Swiss ETA 2836-2 25 jewels automatic movement.

• Day/date calendar  

• Satin finish titanium 2 piece construction (core, back)  

case.

• Sandblasted finish titanium ratcheted, unidirectional rotating,
    0-60 elapsed-time  

bezel.

• Screw-down sport style  

crown.

• Sapphire flat profile  

crystal.

• Black color super-luminova 5 minute/hour markers arabic printed
    numbers  

dial.

• Baton style super-luminova luminous filled  

hands.

• Screw-down style  

case back.

• Satin finish titanium  

band..

• 300 meters  

water resistance.

• 43mm X 50mm X 12mm  

case size.

My Zodiac Super Sea Wolf 1000m Watch.  Retailed for $1950.00 when you could get them.  

Swiss ETA 2824-2 automatic movement

Case is 43mm X 46mm X 15mm

1000m (100Atm) water resistance

Date

Screw down crown

Sapphire crystal

Link Posted: 5/5/2010 4:37:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Damn, I love these watch threads.
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 9:10:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Cold Water Diving:

I got a lot of bony growth damage in the ears from diving in cold water.  It doesn't go away.  Be careful.
Link Posted: 5/5/2010 9:28:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
For $700 I can get this
http://www.countycomm.com/gsarfront12.large.jpg

This.

Link Posted: 5/5/2010 11:27:28 PM EDT
[#25]
That watch looks as sweet as this tattoo:

Link Posted: 5/6/2010 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Ok, thanks to this thread I just ordered the Marathon MSAR with the Maple Leaf, and a soft band for $687 delivered.

How do you owners like yours?

I need something I can beat up more than my Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean, and I love the look, and I really like the tritium illumination.
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 10:26:09 AM EDT
[#27]
I honestly had no idea when I started it that this thread would go this long, wow...
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 10:44:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of the PJ's I know of are issued Suuntos and hate them.  Too big, too many features, and small buttons and they just want to know the time.  A friend of mine was in training with some of them and one broke his Suunto and said "they break pretty often, I wish I could just use a G-shock or an Ironman".
Link Posted: 5/7/2010 7:54:27 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Tritium really isn't that bright anyway.

I dunno... this stands out pretty well in the dark, IMO.

Link Posted: 5/7/2010 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
mine's beat to shit and still works

so does my casio calculator watch.
Link Posted: 5/7/2010 8:07:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Maybe it will take 2.5 times longer to fall apart compared to my 200m water resistant Luminox.

And maybe Luminox customer service will be 2.5 times faster to refuse to fix it under warranty.

http://www.545ar.com/luminox.jpg

NO doubt. Considering it was supposedly designed for Navy SEALS, mine has broken too many times and I have never done a HALO drop OR a helo insertion....
Link Posted: 5/7/2010 8:08:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Over priced piece of garbage.
Link Posted: 5/7/2010 8:11:40 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I still always wear a watch when diving. I do some mixed gas decompression diving and I always carry a watch and a set of tables to use as a backup in case my computer(s) fail. Gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling knowing they're there.

I do the same thing when I dive, except it involves a $40.00 Timex watch set on chrono that way if I lose it no big deal.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top