BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don’t think Trump can just wave his finger and lower the price of oil. Not overnight and not long term. Oil and gas prices fluctuate for many reasons and most of them are not within a presidents control.

Will to prices be lower under a president with an R by his name? Usually that is the case but it never holds. The prices are manipulated to make people rich not so you can have cheaper eggs.

Besides. What happens to the labor cost? Those people who are being paid more to show up now because they have to pay more for goods and services are not going to accept a cut in pay because gas is cheaper. You start cutting wages people walk off the job.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have returned to the thread to provide just that. Thank you for waiting.

Yes, prices for many durable goods can and will go down with a republican president in office. The reason is that the price of everything in this country is dependent on the cost of oil. There are many actions a president can take that can have an effect on oil prices. Some take time, others can be done instantly with a phone call or the stroke of a pen. Yes, inflation is bad and much damage has already been done, but if the screws were backed off JUST A LITTLE, watch and see what the economy would do. Imagine if the cost of gasoline or diesel dropped one whole dollar or more per gallon, what vast effects that would have nationally and even globally. We just need someone to pull the strangling hands off of our neck - and yes, that someone could be President Trump.

I don’t think Trump can just wave his finger and lower the price of oil. Not overnight and not long term. Oil and gas prices fluctuate for many reasons and most of them are not within a presidents control.

Will to prices be lower under a president with an R by his name? Usually that is the case but it never holds. The prices are manipulated to make people rich not so you can have cheaper eggs.

Besides. What happens to the labor cost? Those people who are being paid more to show up now because they have to pay more for goods and services are not going to accept a cut in pay because gas is cheaper. You start cutting wages people walk off the job.

You nailed the key.

Labor is the single most expensive long-term input to a huge variety of industries.

That genie isn’t going back in the bottle. Nobody is going to clean hotel rooms or stock grocery shelves for $10/hour again.

Rents aren’t going to decrease when half a million+ new illegals need housing every year.

Auto manufacturers figured out how to sell $90,000 SUVs by offering 10 year loans.

Where we may see some small decreases in price are industries where automation and AI are able to step in. If a company can slice a dime off a service and gain a dollar worth of profits through marketshare, why wouldn’t they? It may be more widespread than I imagine but we’re talking in terms of years/decades - not November.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
WHA

WHAAAT? I might change fucking jobs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
WHA
Quoted:
Plus he just said he would stop taxes on tips for service workers. Every waiter, bartender, etc will be voting Trump.

WHAAAT? I might change fucking jobs.
He should also announce no more tipping on OT hours
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 7:38:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You nailed the key.

Labor is the single most expensive long-term input to a huge variety of industries.

That genie isn’t going back in the bottle. Nobody is going to clean hotel rooms or stock grocery shelves for $10/hour again.

Rents aren’t going to decrease when half a million+ new illegals need housing every year.

Auto manufacturers figured out how to sell $90,000 SUVs by offering 10 year loans.

Where we may see some small decreases in price are industries where automation and AI are able to step in. If a company can slice a dime off a service and gain a dollar worth of profits through marketshare, why wouldn’t they? It may be more widespread than I imagine but we’re talking in terms of years/decades - not November.
View Quote

Damn straight.
Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top