Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/5/2023 9:30:48 PM EDT
What food do you put in there?

At one end of the spectrum, we have real pemmican. Just pounded jerky and tallow. That gives us about 5200 calories and 2.2 lbs per liter.

Not sure I would want to live exclusively on that. And 5200 calories gives us a little room to dial back for some fluffier,  tastier calories...like the occasional snickers bar. and still hit a close to required calories per day and stay within the 1L per day volume limit.

Fwiw, the vid I just watched with the boy listed the 7L container as a 4-5 day per person container, to which I said BS. (I realize that calorie to weight ratio can have you chasing "lighter" foods but that is largely misunderstood. You can look up the vid "how heavy is your food". )

Whatchya takin'?
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:34:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Obviously you have never been on a fly in Dall sheep hunt in Alaska.

Every ounce counts. And you don’t get your bucket
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:37:18 PM EDT
[#2]
7l of butter. Or olive oil, whichever.

That's 57000 calories, more than enough for a week or more. Bonus, if I kill any meat I can fry the shit out of it and preserve it in the butter or oil.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:38:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't get it ?

You are carrying a bucket backpacking for 7 days

Just haul the food up a tree in a scent proof pack
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:41:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Fresh food for the first two days, mountain house and shelf stable stuff for the rest.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:42:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Backpacking and a bucket don't seem to make sense.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#6]
One or two protein bars, and when you get dropped off track the bear down and steal his kill.

This is the way.

Oh...please take video.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:43:17 PM EDT
[#7]
cheesy poofs
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:43:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Backpacking and a bucket don't seem to make sense.
View Quote

Some places it’s a requirement if you’re overnighting.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Get rid of the bucket, that’s stupid.

https://ursack.com/

I use a ursack. It’s easy and convenient.

That or use the PCT method with a bag of some sort. 550 cord, a carabiner, and your sleeping bag stuff sack is all you need.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:45:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Obviously you have never been on a fly in Dall sheep hunt in Alaska.

Every ounce counts. And you don’t get your bucket
View Quote

Where we're going, the bear bucket is required.

Yes, every oz  counts.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:46:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Have you looked at one of these?

UR Sack

Edit:

Missed by 2 minutes.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:46:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:47:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't get it ?

View Quote

Requirement.

It isnt about saving your food. It is about idiots not teaching the bears that people are a source of food.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Where we're going, the bear bucket is required.

Yes, every oz  counts.
View Quote

Where are you going?

I’ve never heard of a place where a “bucket” is required. Maybe just something IGBC certified.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:48:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't get it ?

View Quote

A lightweight bag is a more efficient container.

An actual 'bear proof' container is just extra weight.  Over two pounds for the BearVault (I'm guessing that's the one the OP is referring to).   You're better off spending those two pounds on something else.

Plus, a bag is much easier to pack oddly shaped stuff into. A rigid bucket means wasted space, unless you're going bulk. Pemmican? Sure, it will keep you alive, but after 7 days you're going to be dreaming of a nice juicy steak - or at least a bowl of Ramen.

Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:48:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Fresh food for the first two days, mountain house and shelf stable stuff for the rest.
View Quote

MH is good but fluffy. Really fluffy. Like you get maybe 4 days in 7L and at a calorie deficit (which I could use a little of)
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:48:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Bear canister not a bucket I assume.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:49:36 PM EDT
[#19]
That canister's going to fill up faster than you think.  7 days means some forethought.  You're going to be packing that thing down with a fist.

I usually eat instant oatmeal, freeze-dried coffee, and Emergen-C for breakfast.
"Bars" for lunch --  Clif bar, Luna bar, PRO bar, that kind of thing.  Pay attention to the calories and protein you get.
Dinner is always freeze-dried food.  I want to eat and then relax.
Electrolyte powder.
For 7 days, I'd bring a packet of freeze-dried hamburger patties for when I wanted the extra protein.

Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:49:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:49:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Requirement.

It isnt about saving your food. It is about idiots not teaching the bears that people are a source of food.
View Quote

I get that but you can't use a scent proof bag of pack ? Might be easier to carry
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:50:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Fuck I hate using a bear vault.

I repackage my freeze dried meals into quart freezer bags. I take one or two of the empty pouches to reheat in.

Eta: some national parks, like Grand Teton, require a bear canister. Can’t hang food there.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:50:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That or use the PCT method with a bag of some sort. 550 cord, a carabiner, and your sleeping bag stuff sack is all you need.
View Quote
A number of National Parks will require hard sided containers for hikers.  Climbers can get exemptions for soft sided bags like the Ursak, but there's an expectation of being well above treeline.

And even then, with a soft sided pack, there are plenty of places where it simply can't be secured, and a bear can run off with it, whereas the bear can only kick around the hard sided container, unable to pick it up and make off with it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A number of National Parks will require hard sided containers for hikers.  Climbers can get exemptions for soft sided bags like the Ursak, but there's an expectation of being well above treeline.

And even then, with a soft sided pack, there are plenty of places where it simply can't be secured, and a bear can run off with it, whereas the bear can only kick around the hard sided container, unable to pick it up and make off with it.
View Quote

Interesting didn't know that.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:52:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Looked at the ursack. Still limited on volume. Save about 1.5 pounds. Not universally recognized. Some places don't have trees.

Hell, we struggled to find a damn horizontal limb 12 ft off the ground in Red River Gorge KY one night.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:53:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Requirement.

View Quote
This.  Absolutely this.

For all of the stupid shit on this forum about this that and the other caliber for bears, proper food security is the single most important thing we can do to mitigate the risk from bears.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:54:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Interesting.

I don’t hang out much in National Parks, just NF/BLM.

One person shits everyone wears diapers I guess.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:54:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.
View Quote

At my age, I don't know if I'm up for that good of a time, still.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:56:49 PM EDT
[#29]
  • 2lbs Pre-cooked bacon,
  • 5lbs eye-round beef dehydrated in the oven on low(should be under 2 after),
  • dehydrated peppers and onions
  • a bunch of dehydrated noodle soups you can add the meat+veg to.  
  • minute rice (saves fuel/time in cooking) also can throw in soup
  • quick oatmeal, dried fruit, some nuts, brown sugar.
  • tea
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:57:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Spoken like someone who doesn’t go backpacking much.  Not trying to offend, but fresh food (raw meat, fresh vegetables/fruits) is very heavy, and most freeze dried foods are shit for calories per weight.  They are poor choices when trying to maximize calories per weight and volume.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:59:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That canister's going to fill up faster than you think.  7 days means some forethought.  You're going to be packing that thing down with a fist.

I usually eat instant oatmeal, freeze-dried coffee, and Emergen-C for breakfast.
"Bars" for lunch --  Clif bar, Luna bar, PRO bar, that kind of thing.  Pay attention to the calories and protein you get.
Dinner is always freeze-dried food.  I want to eat and then relax.
Electrolyte powder.
For 7 days, I'd bring a packet of freeze-dried hamburger patties for when I wanted the extra protein.

View Quote

I saw a documentary about some underwater cave explorers. They were gonna be down there for like 2 weeks, so volume and weight were huge. They took MH meals out of the package. Ground them up and pressed them into a puck. Pretty small for each meal, surprisingly so.

I'm sure it'd get real old, real fast.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:59:46 PM EDT
[#32]
If you backpack in Yellowstone or The Tetons they require a bear proof vault to be shown at check in before you pick up your permit. Anywhere else just stick to hanging it. It has to be on a pre approved list. Guessing they get a lot of backpackers that would show up and eat in their tent and such.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:00:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
  • 2lbs Pre-cooked bacon,
  • 5lbs eye-round beef dehydrated in the oven on low(should be under 2 after),
  • dehydrated peppers and onions
  • a bunch of dehydrated noodle soups you can add the meat+veg to.  
  • minute rice (saves fuel/time in cooking) also can throw in soup
  • quick oatmeal, dried fruit, some nuts, brown sugar.
  • tea
View Quote

Search “freezer bag cooking” for the above. Add some “Chicken of the Sea” pouches.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Can I shoot and eat the bear?  

7 liters isn't a lot when you are working that hard, you are likely going to need to unpackage freeze dried food and put it in thin bags to make it fit.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:05:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Fuck I hate using a bear vault.

I repackage my freeze dried meals into quart freezer bags. I take one or two of the empty pouches to reheat in.

Eta: some national parks, like Grand Teton, require a bear canister. Can’t hang food there.
View Quote

I guess this is pretty common.

The mountain house chicken and rice cans were easy to get cheap ($20 at one point) and season to taste. Then you can shake off a lot of the excess salt with a strainer before putting them in bags.

I’ve heard of bears pushing bear vaults off cliffs and breaking them open

https://andrewskurka.com/bear-canister-failures/
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:06:34 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

Awesome video.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:07:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If you backpack in Yellowstone or The Tetons they require a bear proof vault to be shown at check in before you pick up your permit. Anywhere else just stick to hanging it. It has to be on a pre approved list. Guessing they get a lot of backpackers that would show up and eat in their tent and such.
View Quote

That's sad. I've spent decades backpacking on the east coast with no requirements.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:07:39 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm 140lbs.  My food typically clocks in at 1.0 pounds per day.  And that's as-packed in a Ursak.

The Ursak is, indeed formidable.  I've had marmots and pikas chew on the sack all night long, in vain.  But, let me tell you, there were a lot of minutes during the course of those nights where I wish I had a hard sided container, so they couldn't chew on it at all.  But, then again, hard sided containers really suck when volume is critical, and I can't think of too many times where volume isn't critical.  But, then again, a good night sleep without some Nihilist ferret chewing on a soft sided sack would be nice, too.

There's no free lunch.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:07:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Ribeyes and ice
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:10:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Personally I would go with the Counter Assault or the bigger BearVault (both around 9-10 liter). The smaller 7 liter BV would be too small for me for 7 days. (Yeah, you could fill it with pemmican or some kind of boring goop, but why?)

The Counter Assault will actually hold enough food for a normal-large size dude for a week. If you're gonna go with Mountain House or Backcountry Pantry for your main meal, then be sure to supplement it with some extra calories.  Peanut butter in heavy duty ziplocks is a good space filler for the voids in the can. I'd also go with nuts and other small stuff in bags.

Yeah the can is gonna weigh 3.5 lbs or so, but sounds like you're stuck with the weight of a hard can anyways.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:11:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That's sad. I've spent decades backpacking on the east coast with no requirements.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We don't have grizzly bears on the east coast.  This affords us the luxury of substantial laziness that just doesn't fly when out west.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:12:30 PM EDT
[#42]
How many calories in the bear?
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:13:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
7l of butter. Or olive oil, whichever.

That's 57000 calories, more than enough for a week or more. Bonus, if I kill any meat I can fry the shit out of it and preserve it in the butter or oil.
View Quote
You will shit your guts out, be my guess.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:13:26 PM EDT
[#44]
A 30 pack of beer and fill the gaps with slim jims

Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:14:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
A 30 pack of beer and fill the gaps with slim jims

View Quote

Void_Fraction ... has entered the chat.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:15:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Nice thing about canister is you can use it as a stool or small table.  And yes,  they are required in several National Parks

Edit for spelling
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:16:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
How many calories in the bear?
View Quote

How many calories are you ?
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:18:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm 140lbs.  My food typically clocks in at 1.0 pounds per day.  And that's as-packed in a Ursak.

The Ursak is, indeed formidable.  I've had marmots and pikas chew on the sack all night long, in vain.  But, let me tell you, there were a lot of minutes during the course of those nights where I wish I had a hard sided container, so they couldn't chew on it at all.  But, then again, hard sided containers really suck when volume is critical, and I can't think of too many times where volume isn't critical.  But, then again, a good night sleep without some Nihilist ferret chewing on a soft sided sack would be nice, too.

There's no free lunch.
View Quote

I have a friend who carries this in a smaller spray bottle and swears by it.  He got into serious rodent proofing after a mouse ate the gaskets out of his drysuit on the first night of a multiday class IV-V whitewater trip.

https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Mint-Peppermint-Rodent-Repellent/dp/B07HYP6D5C
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:19:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Day 1, bucket of KFC
Day 2, leftover biscuits and semi congealed coleslaw
Day 3, chew on tendons from bones, slurp honey packets
Day 4, boil bones for chicken soup
Day 5, boil bones more and eat soft bones and marrow
Day 6, starve
Day 7, leave. Out of KFC.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:20:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
We don't have grizzly bears on the east coast.  This affords us the luxury of substantial laziness that just doesn't fly when out west.
View Quote

I've Hunted and spent the night on the dentist populated brown bear island in the world. Nothing changes.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top