BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 11:02:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Use your harvest right freeze dryer and pack with ground beef.  Maybe a little change up and a few snickers.

I have a friend who climbs mountains.  He has summited Kilimanjaro He pretty much just packs snickers.
View Quote

I'd like to have one of those freeze driers. Although,  after watching steve1989 fiddle with one, I'm not sure how practical they are on an individual scale.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 11:31:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Actually the plastic bottle(s) pint of jack daniels is ideal for this type of camping.  You can burn them when you are done.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A 30 pack of beer and fill the gaps with slim jims

Actually the plastic bottle(s) pint of jack daniels is ideal for this type of camping.  You can burn them when you are done.

That's what flasks are for
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I've done 5 days in a bear can. It was mostly various freeze dried meals (Backpackers Pantry, MH, Peak), tuna packets, various energy/protein bars, electrolyte drink packets, some jelly belly's, and a 1lb bag of beef jerky. I'm sure I could of figured out how to get another 2 days in
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 4:42:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sardines in olive oil w/ some hot sauce, beef jerky, and a bunch of assorted nuts mixed with chocolate coated espresso beans.  Sweet potato tots in a zip-loc bag are also a secret weapon of mine for high-output physical activity.  All of these foods provide a ton of usable energy to the body, and will allow you to feel full and satisfied while making it pretty easy to also stay in a calorie deficit.  Honorable mention for the whole avocado too, but that might be a tough food to bring backpacking due to how fast they go bad and how messy they are to cut up and eat.  Insanely good fuel for the body though!  High protein is good, but high protein + high fat + high potassium = moar better.
View Quote

That's why pemmican is nearly the perfect food for outdoor ventures where weight, space, calorie density, fat/protein content are important. Once  you get used to the taste and texture, it will carry you far. It's not like gorp or snickers bars where you'll eat it just because they're tasty even if you're not hungry.

For all of the modern food technology, the old timers had some shit figured out. Pemmican, parched corn, compressed dried peas, masa, hard tack are all simple, lightweight(per calorie) shelf stable, easily digested, easily eaten foods that sustain hard activity.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top