Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 7/26/2020 11:28:22 PM EDT
Updated with link because AzAgLover is the only person on Arfcom who can’t find PSA

Here’s why:

1. PSA is a site sponsor, and that’s the best kind of sponsor. Support PSA.
2. Bored with ARs and AKs? Want a different and interesting gun?
3. Fewer and fewer milsurp rifles hit the market every year and the US may have reached peak gun ownership (at least within the past few generations). Your kids may never get to experience cosmoline!
4. They’re Chinese rifles and there’s been a moratorium on importing Chinese arms for about 30 years.
5. As China and domestic Marxists continue to attract our attention over the coming years, a quintessential Chicom gun may have some appeal, kind of like K98 after WWII.
6. They’re old school fighting carbines! Hard wood, blued steel, and milled parts. They’re stout like an M1 Garand but in a small package.
7. Much nicer than an AK47. The trigger housing, dust cover, receiver, and gas tube are all milled steel, not sheet metal. Hammer forged, chrome lined barrel. Chromed bayonet. Unless you mess something up “gunsmithing,” the only part that should ever need replacing is the recoil spring.
8. Unlike other milsurp rifles you might find (like the currently available 6.5 Carcano), these use Ammo that’s still in production, inexpensive, and widely available. (7.62x39)
9. It’s an auto-loader that holds 10 rounds. Stripper clips are fuckin cool. Bolt actions are boring and AK mags and STANAG mags are so overplayed.
10. For under $400 shipped, this is probably the only bargain gun currently available. You won’t find a cooler gun for anywhere near this price.
11. You need more bayonets in your life.
12. Even though this is a “cool” and “fun” and “cheap” gun, you could legit war with this gun.
13. Good lord, that spiker bayonet does not fuck around. There is no way that thing isn’t going all the way through.
14. It is, in fact, pleasant to shoot. It could easily become one of your “range regulars.”
15. Of the 3 I purchased, they were all matching numbers (other than 1 dust cover that didn’t match).
16. Albania’s loss is your gain.
17. “But I remember when these were $89 when George HW Bush was President.... I’ll pass.” With inflation, these are cheaper now than they were then. Also, they were much more plentiful then. Also, these will only appreciate in value.
18. Perfect if you live in a shithole state that prohibits things like standard capacity magazines, drinking straws that work, and meritocracy.
19. There is no cheaper, more reliable rifle on the market today.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:30:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Nah I’ll continue shooting steel case in my AK’s, my next gun will be a PCC in 10mm
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:31:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought one when they were $299. Spent 2 hours cleaning cosmoline and it probably needs 2 more hours. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:32:25 PM EDT
[#3]
"Here's why you should buy this thing I'm not going to include a link to."

Fucking fail, rated troll.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:32:54 PM EDT
[#4]
They were $600 at the fun show this weekend.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:34:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Item 10 is the only one that beats a field grade from CMP.

ETA: buying from the CMP isn’t providing a market for  chicoms.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:35:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Funny you should mention that, I was just looking at those. I even had the urge to get into AKs.....because, why not.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:36:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Why buy them when the Chinese will leave all kinds of guns on the ground when they attack us.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:37:33 PM EDT
[#8]
They got more? I thought they were sold out weeks ago
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:40:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I've already got one. (Well, an SKS anyway)
Monty Python and the Holy Grail - The Insulting Frenchman

Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:41:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:42:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I would but they don't accept a C&R and I'm not driving to the lgs to transfer an sks.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:42:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They were fun at $89-$99, for $400 I'll build another AR.
View Quote

Join date, post count. Checks out.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:44:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would but they don't accept a C&R and I'm not driving to the lgs to transfer an sks.
View Quote

“It would require me to drive to a gun store” is a stupid reason to not own a gun.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:47:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

“It would require me to drive to a gun store” is a stupid reason to not own a gun.
View Quote

The c&r lets me hide my shame when buying things such as sks's. I buy good guns at gun stores.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:48:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is what I like hearing my NOS SKS from the 90's continues to get more valuable...  $1k here i come...
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:48:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I love SKSs.   Solid, overbuild, fun, and accurate enough.

Mine is Chinese with the blade bayo.   For random shooting I prefer it over all of my AK's and some of my AR's.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:50:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This is what I like hearing my NOS SKS from the 90's continues to get more valuable...  $1k here i come...
View Quote

Wonder what my like new Tula is worth.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:51:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought mine from classic last year. Sold my Russian years ago and missed it. OP you are right.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:51:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn good deal.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:51:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I love SKSs.   Solid, overbuild, fun, and accurate enough.

Mine is Chinese with the blade bayo.   For random shooting I prefer it over all of my AK's and some of my AR's.
View Quote

Back in the day when I could get a used one for $69 I loved em and when a new one could be had for less than $100 I was good with them, but honestly there's other stuff I can spend my money on at the $300 and up price point.

Plus I have been there done that after owning appx 30 plus SKS rifles there's other more interesting stuff out there.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:52:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Wonder what my like new Tula is worth.
View Quote

Refurb Russians have been commanding 500 and 600 so with the spike in demand you may get more.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:55:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Rather spend $400 at RMR bullets than own a SKS again.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:55:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Not worth adding another caliber to my list of ammo to buy.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:57:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Eh,....that might end up being a deal.  After Sandy Hook I went to a 'show and my old (Gun dealer) boss had a few tables set up.  On one of the tables was the most BEAT-TO-SHIT SKS I'd ever seen and he had an $800 tag on it.  I told him "Jerry, nobody but nobody is going to give you eight hundred bucks for that thing".  I was still talking to him 5 minutes later when a couple of guys walked up and bought it.....
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:57:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I have one that I paid 169 for.
It's Russian and CCCP marked.

I'll pass on a chicom one.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:58:57 PM EDT
[#26]
lol link is broken
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:01:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Owned a few Yugo's I always sell them.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:03:22 AM EDT
[#28]
I didn't buy one when they were $70 I sure as shit ain't spending $400 on one.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:03:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Pricey but given the current environment

Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:04:40 AM EDT
[#30]
I also recommend the SKS.  I bought a Yugo SKS from a guy on the FALFiles many moons ago for $125.  I spent nearly that much to have ADCO thread the barrel for a QD FH for the can.  It's one of my favorite guns.  It's my favorite centerfire rifle to shoot with irons.  On second thought, it's my only centerfire rifle I shoot with irons, but I still enjoy shooting it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:07:39 AM EDT
[#31]
The only reason to pick an SKS over a homebrew AR15 is when you live in a shithole state.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:07:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Back in the day when I could get a used one for $69 I loved em and when a new one could be had for less than $100 I was good with them, but honestly there's other stuff I can spend my money on at the $300 and up price point.

Plus I have been there done that after owning appx 30 plus SKS rifles there's other more interesting stuff out there.
View Quote

You've made the rounds.   Someone younger than us that's never owned a heavy, well made, rifle from that era should experience it.

I'd liken it to the FAL/G3/M14.     Not in quality of course but it's designed and built in the same philosophy of that time frame.

No, it's not the ultimate in efficiency, but it's a breath of fresh air from the latest uber aluminum and plastic fantastic plaguing the firearm world today.

Of course you can scratch the itch other ways, but it's still the most affordable and possibly the most indestructible.    

I've sworn for years the post nuke apocalypse Earth will be populated by radioactive cockroaches driving Buick LeSabres armed with SKSs.  

Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:09:07 AM EDT
[#33]
My brothers best friends dad, former Navy SEAL, sold my brother this for around $200 a couple of months ago. It's communist equipment, but it feels solid.

Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:09:11 AM EDT
[#34]
I have 2 in my safe, absolutely SATURATED in cosmoline, that I have yet to shoot.

All because I don’t want to spend 2 days removing said cosmoline.

I do, though, have a 3rd, that is a FANTASTIC shooter.

I use it as a progression step for new shooters.  Newbs shoot the SKS, then move up to AK/ AR.

It’s a joy to shoot.  Damn near zero felt recoil (for a .30 round) or muzzle rise.  Chicks dig it.  

Seriously, women love shooting the thing. That counts for something quite a bit.

ETA:  none of my SKS’ were from PSA.  They were bought years ago.

That said, I will agree - the PSA offering is as good as we’ll ever see again.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:09:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol really?
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:09:36 AM EDT
[#36]
I got one.  Took a couple weeks to get the cosmoline out of it.  
The things have seen some action and does have some rust on them.  
After removing the crap from the barrel, the bore was nice and shiny with no marks.  

So now it just sits in the safe.  
Would I get another.   I don’t think so.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:10:26 AM EDT
[#37]
thats 400 towards night vision

you already have enough guns. get the other important shit.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:12:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Particularly if you don't already have a decent stash of 7.62.39 - which is another item that isn't nearly as cheap as it used to be, BTW.

The main appeal of SKS's was that they used to be cheap, reliable guns that shot cheap, readily-available ammo.

Neither the gun nor the ammo is particularly cheap nowadays.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:13:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Ew no
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:14:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Bought one for the he'll of it, it will go with my yugo
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:14:58 AM EDT
[#41]
12. Even though this is a “cool” and “fun” and “cheap” gun, you could legit war with this gun.

LOL...you could legit dead with it too.  There is no way the SKS is my primary battle rifle these days.

14. It is, in fact, pleasant to shoot. It could easily become one of your “range regulars.”

It actually is nice to shoot.  Much better than the AK, mainly due to the longer barrel I'd wager.  The AK is just loud.  The machining is also far superior (on my SKS vs. my AK).

I paid $200 for mine, but that was many years ago.  Good part of a collection imo.

Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:15:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Particularly if you don't already have a decent stash of 7.62.39 - which is another item that isn't nearly as cheap as it used to be, BTW.

The main appeal of SKS's was that they used to be cheap, reliable guns that shot cheap, readily-available ammo.

View Quote

...and the cost of the ammo kinda made up for it's maybe not always particularly awesome performance if it did manage to hit something.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:16:59 AM EDT
[#43]
I would but I have no place to shoot rifles any more.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:17:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The only reason to pick an SKS over a homebrew AR15 is when you live in a shithole state.
View Quote

Of course! Shithole states! Another good reason to own one. I’ll update the OP.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:19:38 AM EDT
[#45]
If someone just wants a shooter to blast with or Tapco-fuck, then those would be an OK buy.  If looking for a fully matching and decent condition military rifle, you take a big chance of getting that, or a mismatched, broke stock, fucked over rifle.  All the same price.  I learned many years ago to not buy military surplus weapons unless I can handle, field strip and fully inspect before purchase.  Shit, even new weapons can be fucked up so buying sight unseen is not really recommended in my book.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:19:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

...and the cost of the ammo kinda made up for it's maybe not always particularly awesome performance if it did manage to hit something.
View Quote

$89 for 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 was certainly nice.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:20:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

It’s not reliable or cheap to shoot... compared to what?! Please, point me in the direction of a cheaper, more reliable firearm. I’ll buy a dozen!!
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:21:51 AM EDT
[#48]
They're still pretty fuckin reliable.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:23:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You've made the rounds.   Someone younger than us that's never owned a heavy, well made, rifle from that era should experience it.

I'd liken it to the FAL/G3/M14.     Not in quality of course but it's designed and built in the same philosophy of that time frame.

No, it's not the ultimate in efficiency, but it's a breath of fresh air from the latest uber aluminum and plastic fantastic plaguing the firearm world today.

Of course you can scratch the itch other ways, but it's still the most affordable and possibly the most indestructible.    

I've sworn for years the post nuke apocalypse Earth will be populated by radioactive cockroaches driving Buick LeSabres armed with SKSs.  

View Quote

I am happy to help a young man live that dream too they just need to save up that walter mitty money ...   I did the FAL thing for years when kits and IMBEL gear logo receivers were cheap and plentiful , oh and all that wonderful cheap South African , Aussie and British 7.62 Nato could be had at $119 per 1000 rounds.

In fact there were quite a few years where I did not load any ammo because I couldn't load it as cheap as the surplus. What wonderful times those were.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:25:41 AM EDT
[#50]
LOL , no I love the SKS but not at that price. Im not going to back in my day they were 79.99, but at Damn near $400 with shipping and transfer thats a hard pass.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top