Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:10:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:10:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Arrrrrrrrrrrr………
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#3]
When I was in high school in the '90s, my friends and I would jokingly threaten to report each other to 800-388-PIR8 any time a petty crime was mentioned.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I do see your point. Just saying its more like that sort of petty theft then stealing a car.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can try to rationalize it however you want, but of course it's stealing.

Yes I wouldn't compare it to stealing a car. Stealing a car is a serious crime, grand theft.

Pirating a movie or some songs would be more like petty theft. More like working at the gas station and not paying for your drinks from the cooler.

Theft yes.

I'd say the gas station scenario is worse. In that case, the gas station has a realized loss (stolen drinks) whereas the studio lost no property. Before you claim lost revenue, the person pirating the music/movie/etc may not purchase from a legitimate source even in the absence of the black market.

I do see your point. Just saying its more like that sort of petty theft then stealing a car.
still not the same. stealing tangible physical objects denies their use to the owner; distributing digital copies does not  
remember, book publishers and movie studios consider sharing books and movies that you purchased with a friend to be illegal  
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:15:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:16:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Intellectual property is not property
View Quote

Correct, and it's refreshing to see that opinion posted here.

Genuine piracy - is theft of property. Intellectual property isn't property. You can't own ideas.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:17:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Fun fact of the day, the music they used in that ad was pirated. Go figure
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So is it a crime akin to stealing a car?
Or is it a "victimless" crime?
Along those lines, is borrowing a friend's movie to watch it without paying the content provider stealing?
Is it stealing if you never intended to buy said media anyway?

I never intend to buy a Lambo but that doesn't mean I can take one without the prospect of prison time.
View Quote

You can borrow your friend's Lambo with their permission.

Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Here is another way to look at it...

Suppose you spend a lot of time and effort and invent something revolutionary.
You have hopes of marketing it and selling it to pay for all the effort you spent on it.

But then someone comes along and copies all your design plans and then produces the item and
either gives it away or sells it without giving you any money for the time you spent developing it.

Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:25:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You have hopes of marketing it and selling it to pay for all the effort you spent on it.

But then someone comes along and copies all your design plans and then produces the item and
either gives it away or sells it without giving you any money for the time you spent developing it.

View Quote

Its something that's been going on for a long time. That kind of thing dates back to the earliest days of Hollywood. If you watch the original Birth of a Nation you might notice D W Griffith's name all over the speech cards.

Or we could consider Rollin White's innovation of a bored through cylinder in a revolver. As part of his licencing agreement with S&W he had to defend his patent in court out of his own pocket which ate up all of his time and all of his royalties from said idea.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:26:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Its something that's been going on for a long time. That kind of thing dates back to the earliest days of Hollywood. If you watch the original Birth of a Nation you might notice D W Griffith's name all over the speech cards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does that make it right?

Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:27:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Bold of you to assume I wouldn't steal a car.

Nick
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:28:22 PM EDT
[#13]
So let me get this right.

Are you saying a copy of Photoshop which is on a CD-RW and has the word 'Photoshop' written in Black Sharpie is not a legitimate copy?
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:29:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sinister, just darned sinister.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:29:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Does that make it right?

View Quote

The best answer I can give you is that I'm probably not a person you want to debate over what is right and what is wrong.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:30:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I spend zero time worrying over how many people download Hollywood IP.

View Quote

I’m all excited because I opened this thread up thinking there was discussions about Blackbeard, Kidd, Baldridge, Roberts…

Instead I get Hollywood… and record labels…

Gay

But while I’m here, Hollywood can get fucked. Why are they upset anyways? They push for communist ideas. Their shit is my shit. They should be proud.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:30:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did they steal your physical design plans? If so, theft of the physical property.

Did you broadcast the plans on the internet? Not theft.

Many people think of patents as a way to protect an inventor. I see them as the State telling me what I can or cannot produce from my own property.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:31:32 PM EDT
[#18]
What makes you think I won’t steal a car ?
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:32:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Did they steal your physical design plans? If so, theft of the physical property.

Many people think of patents as a way to protect an inventor. I see them as the State telling me what I can or cannot produce from my own property.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I said they COPIED the plans.

You still have the originals.

Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:34:39 PM EDT
[#20]
The music industry had it coming, they colluded to illegally inflate the price of CDs for decades.

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/cd-price-fixing-suit-settled-for-143-million-74008/

No business in $cAmerica is above board, why would consumers be above board?
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:35:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have a ripoff of a major band's logo as your avatar. Did you pay to license the appearance of that logo?

Talk about glass houses
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:35:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I give it the same amount of thought as doing 10 over the speed limit, or passing in the HOV lane because some a-hole is doing the speed limit in the passing lane.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:38:56 PM EDT
[#23]
I have IPTV that takes everything from cable, subscription services and newly released movies within a week of release or some times even a head of release.
I don't care what any body calls it
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:39:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Making a copy of a movie you purchased, for your own entertainment is illegal.
View Quote

I think the courts have said that making a movie BACKUP copy for your own use is legal. Same for software.

Doing it and giving it to a friend is not.

HOWEVER, If you BUY a DVD movie and loan it or give it to a friend, that is fine.  Same for books.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:40:01 PM EDT
[#25]
In the case of hollywood we should be all for piracy. That industry is a cancer and could use a reset.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:42:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You have a ripoff of a major band's logo as your avatar. Did you pay to license the appearance of that logo?

Talk about glass houses
View Quote

You're right.

Thank you for pointing it out I just deleted it.

Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:42:52 PM EDT
[#27]
The IT Crowd - Series 2 - Episode 3: Piracy warning
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Pirating is such a boomer term.
Boomers don't have servers.
Boomers have OTA antennas and Rokutarded TV's.
While philosophy exchanges are great, this is not even a current issue.
Maybe we can have self-confessed 'pirates ' adopt a new shame symbol.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:45:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

So is borrowing a dvd without paying a crime?
View Quote

No, we have a durable goods law in the United States and that DVD can be lent out or sold as part of that fact that it is a physical object.

That's why content producers are all so hot to get you to "buy" online content. Then it is licensed only to you and cannot be transferred or lent out.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:46:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I think the courts have said that making a movie BACKUP copy for your own use is legal. Same for software.

HOWEVER, If you BUY a DVD movie and loan it or give it to a friend, that is fine.  Same for books.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. The discs all come with an encryption layer. To make a copy you have to defeat the encryption, and that is a crime. No backups. No personal use.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:54:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

No. The discs all come with an encryption layer. To make a copy you have to defeat the encryption, and that is a crime. No backups. No personal use.
View Quote
How is it a crime to defeat encryption on a physical product that you own?
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 10:03:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Well it’s a moot point since they shut down Napster and limewire and made Pirate Bay a backwater of viruses.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 10:05:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please describe this "decryption layer" to me...
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 10:07:13 PM EDT
[#34]
record companies and movie studios also got a cut of the selling price of every blank DVD (and maybe hard drives too) sold to make up for the inevitable copying of content
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 10:11:45 PM EDT
[#35]
There be monsters in them waters. Arrrggg
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 10:19:46 PM EDT
[#36]
This is not the piracy I was thinking of.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 10:20:17 PM EDT
[#37]
I consider piracy justified payback for the racist manipulation of my youth and then telling me I am wrong for saying words and joking around about race because they take no responsibility for the racist enculturation of their movies and tv shows
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 10:28:37 PM EDT
[#38]
I still buy the ones I like
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 10:29:44 PM EDT
[#39]
I think piracy involves selling it, making an unauthorized copy is copyright infringement.

It's probably wrong on some level, but on the same level as jaywalkiing imo
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 10:31:37 PM EDT
[#40]
I used to tape my favorite songs from the AM/FM radio onto cassettes and play them back all the time.  When the tapes wore out, sometimes I'd use my allowance money to buy the tapes of my favorite bands.  But I was 8 and my allowance was $2/week.  

I know the radio had licensed the music to be broadcast over the air.  But I taped it.  

Was that wrong?

I still have many of those tapes somewhere.  Should I turn myself in?  Does anyone want to hear Cindi Lauper or Madonna or Men At Work from the mid and late 1980s?  
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 10:33:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmZm8vNHBSU

They never saw today's aremica. All that shit is so commonplace there days it doesn't even register anymore to the masses.

This should be good for getting some jimmies rustled.

So is it a crime akin to stealing a car?
Or is it a "victimless" crime?
Along those lines, is borrowing a friend's movie to watch it without paying the content provider stealing?
Is it stealing if you never intended to buy said media anyway?

I never intend to buy a Lambo but that doesn't mean I can take one without the prospect of prison time.
So what are your thoughts? It's one of those slippery slope things to me. Technically a lot of things "stealing" if you aren't they one paying to consume it.. Right?
View Quote

The Lambo analogy falls apart with digital media. First and formost, a copy of the lambo is created out of thin air. No material was stolen. No manpower was usurped to build the copy. Every argument now rests on intellectual property rights and how the creator expects to recoup their manhours by selling multiple copies/subscriptions/tickets.

What this argument usually doesnt take into account is whether or not the pirater would have have bought a copy/subscriptions/ticket to begin with. If the answer is no and theyre just a drive by, thats a net zero. The creator wouldnt have gotten that return anyway.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 10:37:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Meh, I downloaded and burned a shit ton of DVD's back in my college days in the early '00's.

I can honestly say that I never would have paid full price for any of those movies at that time, so it want really coating Hollyweird anything.

ETA: Didn't sell them or anything.  Just copies for myself and wife (GF at the time).  We watched a lot of movies back then.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 10:37:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Would I capture a ship on the high seas, maroon the crew, and steal the cargo?  

Probly not.  

Would I download a free song/movie from some commie fuck that hates me?  

Sure.  I assume that RATM wants me to steal their work, since they have more money than I do.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 10:41:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Relax Lars, you and Hetfield got Napster shut down 20 years ago.  Nobody’s going to keep you from buying your fourth vacation home now.
View Quote

But, but...I want another gold plated Ferrari!
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 10:42:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I used to tape my favorite songs from the AM/FM radio onto cassettes and play them back all the time.  When the tapes wore out, sometimes I'd use my allowance money to buy the tapes of my favorite bands.  But I was 8 and my allowance was $2/week.  

I know the radio had licensed the music to be broadcast over the air.  But I taped it.  

Was that wrong?

I still have many of those tapes somewhere.  Should I turn myself in?  Does anyone want to hear Cindi Lauper or Madonna or Men At Work from the mid and late 1980s?  
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/3/2023 10:44:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Why do you assume I won’t steal a car?
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 10:54:56 PM EDT
[#47]
The irony regarding the film industry in Hollywood and piracy/copywriting infringement is that the industry moved to an area in LA (in the 1920s) to circumvent paying royalties on the patents owned by Edison and Latham.

That said, piracy is bad.  I created a successful piece of entertainment and it was copied to circumvent paying me for creating it.  That sucked and it ended up becoming a legal mess because these people were lazy and wanted to cash in on someone else's work and ideas.

Those saying IP doesn't exist is exactly why China is fucking us over economically.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 10:57:59 PM EDT
[#48]
What if Mohammed gave me a killer deal for the movies at the souks?
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 11:00:21 PM EDT
[#49]
It’s stealing plain and simple.
Link Posted: 7/3/2023 11:06:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Bold of you to assume I wouldn't steal a car.

Nick
View Quote

came to post something similar

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top