Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/12/2020 6:14:42 PM EDT
I own a lot of boots to include Solomon, Vasque, Danner, Merrill, etc. but the ones I keep coming back to are the old school Danner USMC RAT boots.
I have literally worn them every week for 10 years. Hunting, fishing, hiking, ranch work, mowing, yard work, tactical training, gun range, and on and on.
They are tough, comfortable, light, breathe well and offer good protection.
I change the laces every so often and use boot grease on them once a year.
Mine even sport a pair of Kuba Kickz for dealing with Antifa Scumbags.
What are your favorite?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 6:19:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Thorogood Wedges /thread.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I like my Whites boots but they will probably have to change their name
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 6:21:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thorogood Wedges /thread.
View Quote

This.

Moc safety toe with wedge.

Everything else is gay.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 6:23:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This.

Moc safety toe with wedge.

Everything else is gay.
View Quote

Das Racis
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 6:44:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I like a nice round full C. B's are ok if they are shaped nice on a small frame woman. There is no excuse to have A's in todays society.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Danner all leather, I think they’re called recon?
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#7]
kennetrek
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 6:54:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Thorogood 6" Moc (non-safety) Toe. Made in the USA, wear them everyday, they look great with some neutral polish.

https://www.thorogoodusa.com/product-category/work/
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 7:05:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Ive got a set of Asolo's that Ive had resoled that seem to be the long running boots.
I really need to get a new set of something.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thorogood 6" Moc (non-safety) Toe. Made in the USA, wear them everyday, they look great with some neutral polish.

https://www.thorogoodusa.com/product-category/work/
View Quote

Steel-Toe Version

I wear these or my old pair of Ariat Sierra wide square-toe pull-ons. The Ariats are four years old, have been with me countless miles over the road, walked all over the Bay Area, and waded in the Pacific Ocean. The Thorogoods are my motorcycle boots when I'm not at work, but I'll wear them with cargo shorts when going to the grocery store.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Danner Acadia... most comfortable winter duty boots..waterproof

Bates Rat boots...most comfortable summer duty boots.. not waterproof

Danner combat hikers. Most comfortable summer  boots. Waterproof. I don't work in these...casual use, but they are super durable.

Bates combat hikers. same as above.

Redwing 4200's.. most durable summer work boots... these are my go to summer boots. Electric shock hazard, steel toe.

Danner quarry..
comfortable winter work boots, waterproof, extreme traction.

All above are USA made.

Sorel pack boots...made in Canada version.  14 inch tall... use for shovelling snow and winter recreation.

Link Posted: 6/12/2020 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Danner Acadia... most comfortable winter duty boots..waterproof

Bates Rat boots...most comfortable summer duty boots.. not waterproof

Danner combat hikers
. Most comfortable summer  boots. Waterproof. I don't work in these...casual use, but they are super durable.

Bates combat hikers. same as above.

Redwing 4200's.. most durable summer work boots... these are my go to summer boots. Electric shock hazard, steel toe.

Danner quarry..
comfortable winter work boots, waterproof, extreme traction.

All above are USA made.

Sorel pack boots...made in Canada version.  14 inch tall... use for shovelling snow and winter recreation.

View Quote

I have those as well. They're nice.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:02:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Danner Supper Rainforest in the winter and early spring and Light/II the rest of the year.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:08:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Nick's rough out hot shot steel toe.  

https://nicksboots.com/hot-shot-nfpa-mto-v2/

There are a lot more styles available now. I have been wearing these for over 10 years.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:11:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Rockey Bear Claw....  As long as they make them...  I'll buy them....
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:14:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I might need to look at some of these suggestions.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:16:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a pair of Justins {not Ropers} that I have had since 94...well worn in and very comfy.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:18:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Redwing Iron Rangers
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Ariat makes some nice boots.

I have the Ariat Men's Terrain H2O Hiking Boot, and it's a bit lower on the ankle than what you posted, but they are pretty comfortable.  After 2 years, they are all beat up and discolored, but still serviceable and feel like a big sneaker.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:24:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a friend with some RATS. They look new because his nickname is “blister”....
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:25:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Allen Edmond Normandy Boots

Made in the USA

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know if the non-safety toe Thorogoods are the same, but my steel-toes were murder to break in for a few weeks. Now they're my favorite shoes to wear, despite the fact that they weigh a ton compared to my Asics sneakers. It took a good saddle-soaping to strip off the preservative they shipped with, and then rubbing in Neat's foot oil, plus a lot of climbing in & out of my tractor/trailer.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:29:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Damn, I like those.

I always wanted a pair of Alden 405 boots, but finding a pair in 14W would be expensive and probably a custom job.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:32:58 PM EDT
[#24]
5.11 Taclite 6in

Wore them to my wedding, wore them on my honeymoon, wore them for 3 years after until they ripped apart.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:34:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I've been needing new boots.

My Timberlines are dying.

Going to look into some of the Danners. The Fullbore and Downrange look interesting.

Any suggestions on a low/mid height boot for general use (walking, yard work, range, etc.)?
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:36:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Damn, I like those.

I always wanted a pair of Alden 405 boots, but finding a pair in 14W would be expensive and probably a custom job.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Damn, I like those.

Alden 405's are my go to, do anything boots.

They're worth every penny.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:40:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don't know if the non-safety toe Thorogoods are the same, but my steel-toes were murder to break in for a few weeks. Now they're my favorite shoes to wear, despite the fact that they weigh a ton compared to my Asics sneakers. It took a good saddle-soaping to strip off the preservative they shipped with, and then rubbing in Neat's foot oil, plus a lot of climbing in & out of my tractor/trailer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought my redwing 4200's just to drive/work in.
for the first whole week, I rubbed them down daily with redwing boot grease and put them on my boot dryer to get the leather warm and melt in the grease.  Then on my off days I wore them. I think I wore them 2 or 3 whole days, but not at work.  Then I wore them half days at work for a week.  then I started wearing them full days.

Good leather durable boots take time, but once they are broken in, they fit great.

I like Thorogoods, but I need to have a heel.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:42:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've been needing new boots.

My Timberlines are dying.

Going to look into some of the Danners. The Fullbore and Downrange look interesting.

Any suggestions on a low/mid height boot for general use (walking, yard work, range, etc.)?
View Quote

leather boots or the tennis shoe types?
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:43:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Danner.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:44:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Danner.
View Quote

My son wears those.  Says they are a great boot.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Nancy Sinatra - These Boots Are Made for Walkin'
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:48:14 PM EDT
[#32]
White's Bounty Hunter lace to toe in olive waxed flesh.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:51:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Ahhh....   Late 1960's music.....
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:53:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Ariat paddock boots
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 9:30:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Really either would be fine. I'm leaning more shoe style but I normally wear a boot type.

So far I dig this two:

Link Posted: 6/12/2020 9:52:20 PM EDT
[#36]
OP, I agree with what you said about the RATs except the "light" part. They are anything but. I wore RATs for a good 6 years but have switched over to Danner Reckonings. They are actually light weight, durable (not as much as RATs, obviously), good traction. I've worn them in hot and humid places, hot and dry places, and cold to include snowy places. Feet were a bit cold in the snow but quality wool socks and waterproofing the boots helped a ton. This was all on the same pair over two years - I still wear that pair daily. Bought some replacements a year ago but haven't needed them yet.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 9:55:54 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a pair of MOAB 2 Tactical mids that I wear a couple times a week with jeans or khakis.  I got that particular style in spite of the name because they were the only hiking style boot  (as opposed to work boot) that I could find in plain monochromatic tan.  I love them.  I’ll probably buy another pair for stock as a hedge again them being discontinued. That seems to happen to me with statistically improbable frequency.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:05:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Attachment Attached File

First pair of Thorogood for me.  I will continue to get these for years now.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:07:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I own a lot of boots to include Solomon, Vasque, Danner, Merrill, etc. but the ones I keep coming back to are the old school Danner USMC RAT boots.
I have literally worn them every week for 10 years. Hunting, fishing, hiking, ranch work, mowing, yard work, tactical training, gun range, and on and on.
What are your favorite?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/241166/IMG_20200531_183535_918_jpg-1459002.JPG
View Quote

I have the same boots. Love em.  Cost me $30 when they were recalled.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:19:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Been wearing Chipewa loggers last 4 or 5 years like these.

Attachment Attached File

I ordered a pair of Hoffman boots the other day to try for work.   I think they are made by Danner for Hoffmans.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:25:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Back in my climbing days, Hall’s lineman boots were my go-to.

Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:27:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Favorite boots are sneakers and sandals or flip flops.

Fuck boots.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:28:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Not boobs...
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:28:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
What are your favorite?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/241166/IMG_20200531_183535_918_jpg-1459002.JPG
View Quote

Man, I’ve been wanting a pair of those forever.  We have a new requirement for tan boots at work and I’m wondering if the Danner RATs will pass muster.  

Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:31:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Really either would be fine. I'm leaning more shoe style but I normally wear a boot type.

So far I dig this two:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/485060/13864_P-1459279.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/485060/20512_P-1459280.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So far I dig this two:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/485060/13864_P-1459279.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/485060/20512_P-1459280.jpg

those are more for trail walking.  What kills me is that Danner wants like 150 for them and they are Chinese.  Thats a dealbreaker.

I would get a real boot.

You an get Bates Combat Hikers in specific sizes on Amazon for 125. Here They are not made anymore.  These were military boots.  Danner, Bates and Wellco made them.
Danner now sells the same boot to civilians and now calls them Crater Rims and they are around $400

These boots are awesome for yard chores and durable enough to dig with a shovel and it wont hurt your feet. I can spend all day at the range and be comfortable. Waterproof too.  No insulation.  I have had mine for a decade.
I only wear once a week, so they ook great.

Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:34:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Lowa Zephyrs. I never had a boot fit my foot so well from minute 1 on my feet.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:48:34 PM EDT
[#47]
It took me forever to find the perfect boot for hot weather in the humid South.

Then I tried the Belleville 990 Hot Weather Combat Hiker.

It was perfect and I wore them everyday for eight years.

When I needed a new pair, I discovered Belleville discontinued them.

I tried a pair of the Bates version and they don't fit the same and aren't as comfortable.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:49:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Kenetrek scrabble hikers!
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:50:20 PM EDT
[#49]
I thought it said “boobs”

I am loving my Salomons. I miss my Danner Strikers. Best I had.

I need some good hiking boots for Maine.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:51:04 PM EDT
[#50]
anyone know of any leather boots with vents?  I love the look but my feet sweat a lot, bad mix with sealed up leather.

I’ve gone through 5+ pairs of RATs, soles keep coming off after 2ish years.  Never ponied up for danners though, bates are 1/2 the price.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top