Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 7:07:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Klein for rough work. Klein and Wiha 1000V for live work.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:24:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:37:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I had one of those clear handled snap-on ratcheting screw drivers. Special edition, came with a bear mug? I still have the mug, the screw drive was in my tool bag in the back of a plane and I think the interior shop guys that stripped everything out took it with them. That was like 25 years ago
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:43:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Looks like a lot of the Brownells screw driver kits are made by Zephyr Tool who also makes some of Snap On's driver/ power bits. Any bit with a Z in a circle is Zephyr.
Good stuff we used them when I was in the Marine industry and I still buy them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:47:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:49:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Matco, SnapOn and SK all work well for me.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Wiha for work.  Recently I found new American made Kobalts at a discount store and bought a few for home use/abuse.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 9:06:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Dang. I’m in a snap-on collectors group on Facebook and I’ve seen people offering $150 for one. Mine’s a keeper though.
View Quote

Does a 5 piece 80th anniversary white handle screwdriver set ever come up?

How about the 5 piece cranberry handle screw drivers set? They came as two 5 piece matching set. A coworker and I split the set and costs so I only have the one set.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 9:10:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Klein for rough work. Klein and Wiha 1000V for live work.
View Quote

How about mortar removal 20 feet in the air when the device you are trying to mount will not fit flush???
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 9:13:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 9:14:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My screwdrivers are almost exclusively Snap-On. For hand tools there’s not a giant difference, so I just stick with what I’m used to. I probably have 50 or 60 Snap-On screwdrivers.
I made a living with my tools for about 30 years, so cost wasn’t as much of an issue.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/146/IMG_7893-2827871.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/146/IMG_7888-2827872.jpg

I did 12v for a long time. I see you do too. No standard nut drivers?

Clean the grease off those tools!!!!!!
One emoyer would inspect our tools regularly. He was a douche though.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 9:25:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have Craftsman screw drivers I've been using since the early 60's.
View Quote

Were they a retirement party gift?
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 11:15:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Wera.

If I'm dicking around on a car then Snap-off or Craftsman or even sometimes Pittsburgh are all fine.

If I'm doing something important that actually utilizes something other than a hex head.....Wera.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 1:43:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I dumped all my Craftsmen for Harbor Freight a few years ago.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 1:50:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I got a Snap-on ratcheting screwdriver for Christmas, and I use that thing all the time. Highly recommended.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 8:19:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Wera and Vessel, with some older USA craftsman and a few Wiha items. Wera is readily available (Amazon, KC Tool, Chad's Toolbox, Haus of Tool, and more) and very well-priced, IMO. A great value versus almost anything else, IMO. Plus their stuff is unique enough that it doesn't look like a re-branded/re-handled cookie cutter item.

I do emergency vehicle upfitting, some minimal light automotive stuff, guns, RC, bicycles, and general homeowner stuff.

Wera is the best I've ever used, but doesn't cover all bases; I use Vessel for JIS. Wiha's folding Key sets are nice. I have some Bonhus also. Wera's Hex+ stuff is the best hex key system I've ever used and almost eliminates cam-out and stripped heads. Wera's laser tip on the screwdrivers is the best non-magnetic retention / fitment / anti-slip system I've seen or used. The ergonomics of the handles is the best for me, and I have huge, meaty hands. Their adjustable torque screwdriver is fantastic and more economical than fix-it sticks. The Craftsman USA stuff is mostly nostalgic, but I do like the handles. Haven't found or really wanted better nutdreivers than the classic Craftsman, though. Not shown is a complete with foam Wera precision driver set I have in another drawer. Storage shown is all Toolbox Widgets.

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#18]
What Wera set is the set to get. Basic screwdriver needs - house hold, car, atvs etc?

I can’t make heads or tails of their product lines
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 9:17:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't know what you call it, I only know the sound it makes when it boogers up a screw head.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 9:24:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Wera isn't too hard to figure out. A look at their catalog would help make sense of it. They have several different, complete series. I have a set of stainless (light blue and black) a set of their "standard" (green and black) and a set of their insulated (red and yellow). If I was doing it for home use, I'd go with the insulated for those minor electrical handyman jobs. Not really any downside to it, other than the blades might not fit in tight areas. Otherwise, the standard are a very good value.

Here are some nice options to get started:

Good basic set

Similar set in limited USA colors

Expanded set with Torx

Custom variety set for general use

Insulated set

Excellent all-purpose homeowner set

KC Tool employee designed set

Another more hobbyist employee set

Honestly, you can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 9:26:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 9:48:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wera isn't too hard to figure out. A look at their catalog would help make sense of it. They have several different, complete series. I have a set of stainless (light blue and black) a set of their "standard" (green and black) and a set of their insulated (red and yellow). If I was doing it for home use, I'd go with the insulated for those minor electrical handyman jobs. Not really any downside to it, other than the blades might not fit in tight areas. Otherwise, the standard are a very good value.

Here are some nice options to get started:

Good basic set

Similar set in limited USA colors

Expanded set with Torx

Custom variety set for general use

Insulated set

Excellent all-purpose homeowner set

KC Tool employee designed set

Another more hobbyist employee set

Honestly, you can't go wrong.
View Quote

Thanks for that. Any value to the stainless? Notice they are smaller sets? What about the 900 vs 300?
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 9:55:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Thanks for that. Any value to the stainless? Notice they are smaller sets? What about the 900 vs 300?
View Quote

Depends. I work with a lot of stainless fasteners and that's why I have a large set of the Wera stainless. Most folks don't think about it, but using a non-stainless tool on a stainless fastener can lead to corrosion or at least the appearance of surface rust that shouldn't be there. Otherwise and for homeowners, probably no real need. I would not use stainless generally, but that's me.

IIRC, the 900 series is designed to be hammered/chiseled with. If you do construction or demo, they might be a better choice. Some other variations have a hex section on the shaft/blade for use with a wrench, similar to what Snap On offers. I have never really found that useful, but I can imagine some would.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 9:57:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:23:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Wera or Wiha.
View Quote

Wera for general sizes

Wiha for small/precision.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:24:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Depends. I work with a lot of stainless fasteners and that's why I have a large set of the Wera stainless. Most folks don't think about it, but using a non-stainless tool on a stainless fastener can lead to corrosion or at least the appearance of surface rust that shouldn't be there. Otherwise and for homeowners, probably no real need. I would not use stainless generally, but that's me.

IIRC, the 900 series is designed to be hammered/chiseled with. If you do construction or demo, they might be a better choice. Some other variations have a hex section on the shaft/blade for use with a wrench, similar to what Snap On offers. I have never really found that useful, but I can imagine some would.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for sharing your insight
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 11:56:40 PM EDT
[#28]
I may have a sickness.

Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:02:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Love my wera
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:13:13 AM EDT
[#30]
I've been loving my new Wera 1000V set. They go nicely with my Knipex 1000V pliers / strippers / cutters.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:20:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Xcelite was the go-to brand for electronics technicians 50 years ago.  They still make screwdrivers today.  I have a 7 pice screwdriver/nut driver set from 50+ years ago my dad gave me when I was a kid.  I used it for years and finally retired it because I didn't want to lose them.

Now my favorite is a Snap-On ratcheting screwdriver.

Link Posted: 5/26/2023 4:14:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I used to, not anymore. I still have the majority of my personal tools though. There are a few standard nut drivers in that lineup, the other standard sizes were ones I didn’t use much so they’re in a different drawer/different box.
There’s no grease on my tools, I wasn’t sure what you were talking about at first but I guess it’s the discoloration on the green handles where they’ve been rotating in and out of a red tray for +/-25 years.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did 12v for a long time. I see you do too. No standard nut drivers?

Clean the grease off those tools!!!!!!
One emoyer would inspect our tools regularly. He was a douche though.

I used to, not anymore. I still have the majority of my personal tools though. There are a few standard nut drivers in that lineup, the other standard sizes were ones I didn’t use much so they’re in a different drawer/different box.
There’s no grease on my tools, I wasn’t sure what you were talking about at first but I guess it’s the discoloration on the green handles where they’ve been rotating in and out of a red tray for +/-25 years.

The 12v biness in Dallas in the 80's and 90's had the worst mom and pop places. Low life criminal level shit.
Some national retailers came and went. Best Buy and Car Toys survived. They have some strange business practices.
*CT doesn't allow tool boxes. They give you an unlockable shelf area for tools.*

Best Buy was bolt in only last I heard.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 4:23:07 AM EDT
[#33]

As a coworker, I would have tolerated, even encouraged your sickness.
What pissed me off was the "no tool buying" pieces of shit that tried to borrow tools constantly. I cut them off at places that I decided to stay. Short term employment places,,, I did not loan tools out to scum that didn’t buy tools constantly.

ETA; The magnetizer is a nice touch. I bought a couple that got jacked.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 4:52:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Milwaukee M12

If for some crazy reason I can't go electric, I use SK comfort grip. Same as craftsman professional from the early 2010's that I failed to get a full set of while they were available.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 6:14:40 AM EDT
[#35]
No Chapman fans here?
That little ratchet that comes with the set has been a lifesaver many times over. It gets into tight places.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top