Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 11:47:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah, I guess that makes sense.
View Quote
And YET, MINSY installed ALL of the Emergency Blow system check valves on my boat backwards

caught it in with radiography.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 11:50:30 AM EDT
[#2]
It's pretty quiet right now. I'm really not worried about it.

I'd rather have them all in port getting polished up and good MX for the future.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 11:51:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

And YET, MINSY installed ALL of the Emergency Blow system check valves on my boat backwards

caught it in with radiography.
View Quote
Well, that was kind of mean.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 11:53:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Because you are dealing with nuclear reactors and nuclear waste and you have to cut holes in the ship to exchange the fuel rods then button everything back up and do a lot of testing.
And there's only one place to do it.

Not like gassing up the family grocery getter.
View Quote
What? No, it's easy. Just pop the hood and put in new fuel elements.

The World Is Not Enough - Final Fight | Submarine (HD)

@1:38

You can even do it while the ship is sinking.

I'm told this scene is funny as hell to anyone who has actually worked around a naval reactor.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 11:57:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Fuckin Obama
View Quote
this

8 years of neglect of our military needs results in the above
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 12:01:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

8 hours a day, 5 days a week minus holidays.

That 4 years also includes the other non nuclear standard overhaul work.  You have to prep the ship, when the reactors are open no other work is being done.
So there's a lot of work getting it into and out of the refuelling facility.
THEN all tge normal stuff.
Because it takes so long there is usually a long list of unfinished maintenance that gets rolled over until the next yard period, delaying it 3 years or so unless something breaks.
There ain't no lollygagging.

Procedures for working on nukes read like, "worker number one torque 4 bolts to some specified spec.  
Worker number 2 torques those same 4 bolts independently to the same spec."
It's very slow and methodical work because there can be no accidents.
View Quote
27,000 people working 24/7 at NNS right now.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 12:13:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

8 hours a day, 5 days a week minus holidays.

That 4 years also includes the other non nuclear standard overhaul work.  You have to prep the ship, when the reactors are open no other work is being done.
So there's a lot of work getting it into and out of the refuelling facility.
THEN all tge normal stuff.
Because it takes so long there is usually a long list of unfinished maintenance that gets rolled over until the next yard period, delaying it 3 years or so unless something breaks.
There ain't no lollygagging.

Procedures for working on nukes read like, "worker number one torque 4 bolts to some specified spec.  
Worker number 2 torques those same 4 bolts independently to the same spec."
It's very slow and methodical work because there can be no accidents.
View Quote
people don't think nuclear work be like it is, but it do

Link Posted: 10/29/2019 12:32:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In CA (San Diego) you can see the carriers in port from the freeway, their ship numbers clearly visible. They aren't exactly small and can't be hidden by parking them around the corner.

Will say that making the details of their status public is a bit WTF worthy though. And while carrier maintenance/refits/refueling are usually planned years in advance, I am sure the sudden onset "Hawk" democrats will bludgeon Trump with our state of military readiness.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And this information is made public
Most adversaries have access to commercial satellite imagery and can count to six.
In CA (San Diego) you can see the carriers in port from the freeway, their ship numbers clearly visible. They aren't exactly small and can't be hidden by parking them around the corner.

Will say that making the details of their status public is a bit WTF worthy though. And while carrier maintenance/refits/refueling are usually planned years in advance, I am sure the sudden onset "Hawk" democrats will bludgeon Trump with our state of military readiness.
sun Tzu -
When you are strong, appear weak. When you are weak, appear strong.

When you are far away, appear near.

All war is deception.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 12:38:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks to Obama for cutting budgets. He even cut SOCOMs/JSOCs budget enough that it was causing training and equipment issues. Yet, he used them more than ever so that there were "less boots on the ground".
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#10]
n/m
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 12:46:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I ought to take you to see one. Its like the tenement housing of the military.

The Navy gave up plenty of personnel and O&M bucks for the GWOT, and this is the result. They are starting to push back on both. This is what you're seeing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
tl; dr

Here's a summary:  Navy: "give us more money.  Terrible things will happen if you don't."
I ought to take you to see one. Its like the tenement housing of the military.

The Navy gave up plenty of personnel and O&M bucks for the GWOT, and this is the result. They are starting to push back on both. This is what you're seeing.
Wasn't the Navy shooting to reduce manning so that they could justify more expensive ships?  I thought that was the point of the LCS program.

Of course, I will freely admit to not understanding the need for 11 carriers right now.  It would seem that the level of force projection that represents is something that is more based on overweening pride than necessity.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 12:47:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
But did the chain of command read the 98 page Commanders Guide to Transgendered Sailors?
View Quote
Of course.  But the old guys that actually did all the planning didn't.  See we had to get rid of them to replace them with our new gender-neutral but utterly incompetent, cluster-fucked leadership.

Trump's fault.  Or Bush's.  Well, some Republican, that is for sure.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm aware. But it still seems wrong.
View Quote
Because people wouldn’t notice 6 aircraft carriers that are docked...
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 12:57:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm sure Schitt for brains already emailed the Chicoms.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The Rocket Man in Korea probably have wet dreams about all those Carriers lined up like that.
View Quote
Rocket Man rattles his saber every now and then to pretend to be relevant or to get some aid/money.

Even if he could hit them, any overt strike on the US would mean he loses China's support (until China decides to step in when we're "weak")... and Best Korea without China is Dead Korea.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 12:59:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Wasn't the Navy shooting to reduce manning so that they could justify more expensive ships?  I thought that was the point of the LCS program.

Of course, I will freely admit to not understanding the need for 11 carriers right now.  It would seem that the level of force projection that represents is something that is more based on overweening pride than necessity.
View Quote
They Navy thinks it will save money or be more efficient by contracting maintenance on LCS to defense companies and have small crews. It isn't working. Shit breaks, no one knows how it works on the boat because it is a contractors job to fix, and it feels like the contractors are getting hired off of craigslist and being handed a maintenance card then turned loose on the boat. Its a shit show.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 1:00:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Flag officer incompetence these days is frankly breathtaking.
View Quote
That's what happens when you promote politicians instead of leaders because there's an agenda getting pushed from the top.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 1:01:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Sounds kinda pearl harbor ish
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 1:27:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
In December 2012 only the Eisenhower was at sea of all the carriers.  And it was returning to port..
View Quote
And Lincoln just pulled into Norfolk for refueling following two back to back 8 month deployments with a 7 month turn around in between...your point?

The 2.0 presence requirement in the Arabian Gulf was extended WAYYYY too long and that had domino effects to maintenance and rotation schedules of the entire carrier fleet.
We can surge carriers forward for ops, but that isn't sustainable.

Lincoln also got caught by the start of OIF.  
They did their standard 8 month deployment in the Gulf in 2002 and were headed home.
They got diverted to Australia where they spent a month to resurface the flight deck, then turned right around to the Gulf for the kickoff of OIF.
So they did two deployments with almost no turn around and were away from home for more than a year.

Ships pull in and out of port all the time.  Since we have so few carriers it's easy to count them.
Nobody is nit picking how many destroyers are at sea vs in port.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 1:27:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is America, not the USSR.
You can drive by the piers and see the carriers parked there.

Google images will have pictures of the base and shipyard updated in a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 1:29:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
27,000 people working 24/7 at NNS right now.
View Quote
How many are wrench turners vs. admin support, finance, inspectors, security, etc.?
How many vessels are they working on?
A pipe fitter isn't a welder isn't a nuclear tech isn't an IT guy...
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 1:31:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thank god we are not facing an eminent war.  Also explains why Trump is eager to get our boys home.  We have our pants down around our ankles at the moment.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 1:36:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
11 gives you ~3 constantly deployable

Since one is still in construction and one is being refueled we really have 9

About 1/3 of the crew turns over every year.  You are constantly training to replace that lost talent.
The critical areas are training the flight deck crew to safely launch and recover aircraft, the bridge watch crews to safely operate and navigate the ship, the self defense crews to safely and effectively operate the sensors and weapons, the DC crews to perform fire fighting, flooding and other emergency response/damage control and the deck and supply teams (including weapons Department) to safely and efficiently conduct replenishment and stores/ammunition handling.

And that is just the ship's company.  Similar turnover rate in the airwing/squadrons.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 1:37:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
this

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuckin Obama
this

Is much of this a result of the Zer0-era sequester? The defense budget has been increased ~$1.5T in Trump’s first two budgets, correct? The carriers have to be in port to to upgrade, right?

Can some of the more knowledgeable members explain the effects the SBCA had on our carriers and what could be happening now with them as a result of the new increase in the defense budget?
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 1:37:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Because it's always a good thing to junk a needed asset.
When it's needed in a few years Trump will be a genius.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 1:39:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Carriers are very complicated. Seems like making them less complicated might help.
View Quote
By God, that's an outstanding idea.
Let start by ripping out that expensive and complicated nuclear reactor and propulsion system for starters.

The space saved can hold coal and then we can hire on thousands of guys to shovel the coal into the fireboxes.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 1:42:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So basically were out of commission as a super power.
View Quote
Being a Super Power was lost a long time ago when people forgot how to use contractions...
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 1:44:39 PM EDT
[#28]
I think F35s are almost good to go for deployment, right?

Edit: They're IOC, but not deployed until 2021
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 1:44:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You guys think this is bad? I suggest not to look at the state of the aircraft that fly on those.....
View Quote
Are the Marines still pulling parts off older aircraft to keep the F18s flying?
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 1:45:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Why in the blue fuck does refueling take 4 years?  If one were to whack the enviroweenie regs out and just do it “normal” safely, how long would it REALLY take?
View Quote
You don't know shit about Aircraft Carrier maintenance or what's involved in working on one.

How do you access the reactor room to remove large components?

I guess in your world you would push the reactor easy button and "poof" it would be done.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You guys think this is bad? I suggest not to look at the state of the aircraft that fly on those.....
View Quote
Wouldn't be so bad if we could just desalinate the oceans.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 1:51:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
But did the chain of command read the 98 page Commanders Guide to Transgendered Sailors?
View Quote
Much respect bro
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
mUh OpSeC

As if any adversary more advanced than ISIS isn’t already able to track the movements of things as big as aircraft carrier battle groups...
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 1:54:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Makes for a cool pic though
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 1:55:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Sounds kinda pearl harbor ish
View Quote
Do you want it to rain W88s? Because that's how you get raining W88s.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 1:59:35 PM EDT
[#36]
lol traffic around NNS must suuuuucck.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 2:09:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You don't know shit about Aircraft Carrier maintenance or what's involved in working on one.

I guess in your world you would push the reactor easy button and "poof" it would be done.
View Quote
When I was on GW years ago, one of the main engines needed a giant ring gear replaced.  (IIRC)
The thing was around 8 feet in diameter, I have no idea how heavy it was, multi tons I'm sure.

They had to build a plywood mockup of the gear the exact size of it, then cut holes in the decks from the hangar bay down to the engineering spaces.
I saw it in the hangar bay.
Then they had to do a dry run moving the plywood replica down to the space and back up to plan how to get it down there, rig and de-rig the cranes as they went.
All that before they pulled out the broken one.
They had to do all that planning and trial so when they actually did it they could get the part in and out safely and didn't get a very expensive, precision machined mutli-ton piece of steel stuck inside the ship or damaged before it got installed.
THEN, after they got the gear installed, they had to repair all the holes they cut in the ship.

And all of that was non-nuclear work.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#38]
I only saw 2 at NOB today and I was out on the harbor.

So 2 there, 2 at Newport News getting worked on, 1 at Portsmouth Navy yard, and the Ford is underway doing sea trials.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 2:10:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
lol traffic around NNS must suuuuucck.
View Quote
Understatement of the millennium.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 2:14:23 PM EDT
[#40]
That article is a great piece on why the Navy needs moar MON$Y.

One of the issues that it doesn't address is:  The cyber warfare they mention is not a defined activity of the Navy or really of any service.  Yet every service is trying to be the one that fights it.

It is of particular interest to me since I am trying to transfer over to Cyber Operations.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 2:14:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why in the blue fuck does refueling take 4 years?  If one were to whack the enviroweenie regs out and just do it “normal” safely, how long would it REALLY take?

They can't do this?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
They Navy thinks it will save money or be more efficient by contracting maintenance on LCS to defense companies and have small crews. It isn't working. Shit breaks, no one knows how it works on the boat because it is a contractors job to fix, and it feels like the contractors are getting hired off of craigslist and being handed a maintenance card then turned loose on the boat. Its a shit show.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda sounds like what we are going through in my civilian job.  Contract is changing hands and the winner is offering pay cuts to work the same job . . . anywhere from 20% to 43%.  Haven't gotten a letter saying how much they want to pick my pocket, but I am sure it is being written up.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 2:31:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Maybe preparation for something big we don't yet know about.  It isn't as if it is easy to hide something that big.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 2:37:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Were doin better than anyone else.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 2:39:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Till the money runs out.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 2:44:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Till the money runs out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Till the money runs out.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 2:45:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

How many are wrench turners vs. admin support, finance, inspectors, security, etc.?
How many vessels are they working on?
A pipe fitter isn't a welder isn't a nuclear tech isn't an IT guy...
View Quote
9700 according to the unions website.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Maybe preparation for something big we don't yet know about.  It isn't as if it is easy to hide something that big.
View Quote
If I were getting ready to get sporty I’d want all my gear fresh.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 2:49:37 PM EDT
[#49]
From an dummy outsider looking in....it doesn’t seem like a great idea to have that many carriers sitting in one place....it looks like a pretty juicy target to someone wanting to start some shit.

It does make for a pretty cool picture though.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm glad I'm not in that traffic anymore!
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top