BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 11:01:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Aiwa (sound systems)

Gateway Computers

MCI (long distance phone service)

I was gonna say Zubaz but apparently they still exist and operate. Who knew.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 11:10:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Cars:
Kaiser-Frazer
Packard
Hupmobile
Lasalle

Electronics:
Hammarlund
National
Drake
Hallicrafters
Heathkit
Eico
World Radio Labs
Knightkit
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 11:10:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Bud Light

Link Posted: 10/8/2023 11:59:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bell Labs

/thread
View Quote

They sell over priced cheap shit through late night commercials, along with Bell & Howell, oh how the mighty have fallen.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 12:37:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Rupp
Chaparrel
Amf
Champion
Evinrude
Johnson
Ski Jet
Scorpion
Bultaco
Hodaka
Husaberg
Cushman
Buell
Victory
Indian

Lots more I can't remember.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 5:01:37 PM EDT
[#6]
wow this blossomed into five pages. TY
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:50:04 PM EDT
[#7]
"Incredible Universe"  ( was like Best Buy or Circuit City)

"Sky City" ( South Eastern K-Mart Rival )

TYCO Model Train sets, Electric slot car tracks, and US-1 trucking  sets.  https://tycotrain.tripod.com/tycocatalogs/

Life-Like  Model Trains , sets and loads of accessories  priced for affordable families and kids to own build layouts. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life-Like

COX Gas powered R/C (string controlled) and RC (Radio Controlled) Model Planes, Cars, Boats  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cox_model_engine

Centuri  Model Rockets https://plans.rocketshoppe.com/publications.htm or https://archive.org/details/centuri-model-rocket-catalog-1970

Circus World  Toy Stores

N.A.S.D.S. National Association of Scuba Diving Schools

S.S.I. Scuba Schools International.

So many computer companies and all those old  regional and local ISPs that were bought up or hung it up, even the larger one like Mindspring and Earthlink were consumed.  Respct for Tripod and Angelfire still keeping all the early free websites online unlike Yahoo's  Geocities, AOL's Hometown and numerous ISP web hosting tied to their company which was discontinued.

AOL who is/was owned by Yahoo , which is owned now by Verizon... So much for those Anti Monopoly Telecommunication laws  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Defunct_computer_companies_of_the_United_States

Do we count all those  companies  that sadly existed only as a domain .com name only online?   or what is left is so far removed from the original it doesn't even share any resemblance ?  

Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:59:34 PM EDT
[#8]
TG&Y
K&B drug stores
Howard Brothers
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 10:05:03 PM EDT
[#9]
A&P grocery stores.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 10:08:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Delchamp’s
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Continental Airlines. Merged with United, but hard to tell at this point.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 10:36:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Retailers:
TG&Y
VJ Elmore
Big K

Food:
Rally's
Checkers
Lee's Fried Chicken
Western Sizzlin'
5th Quarter

Other:
Alltel - I used to love the claymation commercials that pitted them against the other cell companies, especially at Christmas.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 10:41:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Babbages
Service Merchandise
NY Seltzer Company
K-Mart
1970-1990’s era Pizza Hut
View Quote

https://newyorkseltzer.com/
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 10:42:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Otasco

Super Discount

Kessler's

Rich's

Zayres

Drug Emporium

Goody's

Richway

Treasure Island

Mason's

Link Posted: 10/8/2023 10:44:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
General Foods
View Quote

General Foods (a holding company) was rebranded as Kraft General Foods, then Kraft Foods, then as Kraft.

Now they're the Kraft Heinz Company. Still a holding company.

Link Posted: 10/8/2023 10:57:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Marshall Field's
Carson, Pirie & Scott
Lord and Taylor
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 11:02:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Big Barney and Barnbuster burgers.

Had one across the street from my junior high. Went there every day after school, just to hang out and goof around for an hour before heading home to listen to my mom and dad yell at each other.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 11:04:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Software companies come and go like farts through Joe Biden's diapers, but there were some big ones that got bought up.

Macromedia
Aldus
Deneba
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 11:15:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Rupp
Chaparrel
Amf
Champion
Evinrude
Johnson
Ski Jet
Scorpion
Bultaco
Hodaka
Husaberg
Cushman
Buell
Victory
Indian

Lots more I can't remember.
View Quote

Montesa
Bridgestone
Greeves
BSA
Norton
Buell
NSU
Zundapp
CZ
DKW
Vincent
Crocker
Cleveland
ABC

One slow day at work (motorcycle accessory manufacturer) we sat down and tried to compile a list of all the motorcycle brands that had come and gone.

We have books that list them, but the challenge was to use our memory only. We listed over 150.

Ariel
Adler
Cotton
Fantic
Morbidelli
Bianchi
Brough Superior
Zenith
Sunbeam
Velocette
Rudge...
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 11:30:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Fagoel
Duesenberg

Bridgeport (now just a name Hardinge puts on mills that I'm told are now made overseas)

Montgomery Wards (my 2HP craftsman circular saw has a MW blade still)
View Quote

Hardinge bought Bridgeport. When I was at their factory in Elmira I was told the machine castings were made out of country but final machining and assembly was done in Elmira. That was back in 06-07 time frame so that may not be the case any longer.
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 11:31:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Does Chuck E Cheese still exist?
View Quote

Was Show Biz Pizza
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 3:05:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Otasco

Super Discount

Kessler's

Rich's

Zayres

Drug Emporium

Goody's

Richway

Treasure Island

Mason's

View Quote

From Georgia, and you didn't list "The World of Sid and Marty Krofft" theme park?    Short lived but  they did  all the cool kid shows back in the 1970's. There was national press coverage about, I was crushed to find out it was closed years later when the parents finally caved into going.

It would be long list of all the cool rides closed and go from Carrowinds in NC/SC

That Eastern Airlines Sky Tower  in the background, a long gone National Airline.

They kill off all the old steam trains  rides in the park,  but this oldie ride still luckily survives, although you recognize the area behind it today from this old postcard.

We loss

Eckard Drugs Stores

Harris Grocery stores

Tetter Grocery Stores  well technically they merged into HT  but no one remembers that these days, kinda like no one know what he CVS in "CVS drug store" stands for.

Food Town and Food King Grocery Stores.

BI-Lo Grocery Stores

Piggly Wiggly Grocery Stores

So many cool night clubs and concert venues, it makes you need to find a real  bar, a real one not the current   beer gastrolounge hipster joint crap. Proper sawdust and peanut shells on the floor kind of place.

Walden Books.   Which the staff would act one way when your parents were around, then sell you the good books when by yourself. Keeping secret you were already reading the good authors. Back when it was privilege information to know the alternate pen names of Stephen King and Ann Rice.

Record Bar

Camelot Music.

Spencers Which had the cooler half of the store that was all black light in the mall.

J.C, Penney's

Ivey's

Baskin Robbins - The old 31 flavors of ice cream only store, before they  merged in the 3 Fast food franchise chains into every location

Richway's  Department Store

Richway Dept. Store (1979) Charlotte, NC

Link Posted: 10/9/2023 3:14:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

that's cool    have not seen one in years

do you have one nearby ??  i grew up near one and we would eat there a lot

View Quote

I was going to post Pizza Inn until I did a quick search and found their website.  It seems they're still all over, just not right next to me.  There are even a few here in Houston, just not on my side of town.

I remember going to get dinner at Pizza Inn on the day I brought my first kitty home (the first one that was officially "mine").  We were getting him used to riding in the car, and he was playing and bit me because he didn't know better yet.  Ashes was a great cat, and loved to ride in the car.  We even took him on vacations from Texas to Virginia in the car and he was cool the entire way there and back.  Twice.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 3:16:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Oshman's Sporting Goods

I bought my 2nd pistol even (a S&W 422) there when they had a location in Sharpstown Mall.  Still have it; it's one of my favorites to shoot.  Way too much fun to take boating.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 3:58:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

From Georgia, and you didn't list "The World of Sid and Marty Krofft" theme park?    Short lived but  they did  all the cool kid shows back in the 1970's. There was national press coverage about, I was crushed to find out it was closed years later when the parents finally caved into going.

It would be long list of all the cool rides closed and go from Carrowinds in NC/SC

That Eastern Airlines Sky Tower  in the background, a long gone National Airline.

https://pbase.com/thresholdprod/image/106320605/large.jpg

They kill off all the old steam trains  rides in the park,  but this oldie ride still luckily survives, although you recognize the area behind it today from this old postcard.

https://pbase.com/thresholdprod/image/106320603/large.jpg

We loss

Eckard Drugs Stores

Harris Grocery stores

Tetter Grocery Stores  well technically they merged into HT  but no one remembers that these days, kinda like no one know what he CVS in "CVS drug store" stands for.

BI-Lo Grocery Stores

So many cool night clubs and concert venues, it makes you need to find a real  bar, a real one not the current   beer gastrolounge hipster joint crap. Proper sawdust and peanut shells on the floor kind of place.

Walden Books.   Which the staff would act one way when your parents were around, then sell you the good books when by yourself. Keeping secret you were already reading the good authors. Back when it was privilege information to know the alternate pen names of Stephen King and Ann Rice.

Record Bar

Camelot Music.

Spencers Which had the cooler half of the store that was all black light in the mall.

J.C, Penney's

Ivey's

Baskin Robbins - The old 31 flavors of ice cream only store, before they  merged in the 3 Fast food franchise chains into every location

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnZd2kctmm4
View Quote

Still a Piggly  Wiggly grocery store. There's one near my house in MS.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 4:25:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's still one left not far from me, a stand-alone Baskin-Robbins.

It's the Perkins restaurants that keep disappearing. Unfortunate, because I thought they really were better than either Denny's or IHOP or Village Inn. And better food than Awful House even if they didn't offer the entertainment.

Oh, Denver peeps? Did the Breakfast King move or did it just die? I would do bad things for the souvlaki and eggs right now
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 5:13:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Dahlkempers
Hills department stores
Nichols department store

I lived in the top of a Western Auto
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 6:06:57 AM EDT
[#28]
AutoShack

I worked there in high school. The name didn't last long at all. We got uniform shirts with AutoShack on them and then a month later we got new ones with AutoZone on them. Radioshack sued and won obviously.

From wiki was founded as AutoShack in 1979 and changed their name in 1987 after RadioShack sued and won. I had just started.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 6:44:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 6:53:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Might as well add Dodge to the list after this year.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 6:57:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Trans World Airlines
Continental Airlines
AMF
American Gas Machine
Minneapolis Moline
Oliver
Hart Parr
Brockway
Autocar
Diamond T
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 6:58:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Does Chuck E Cheese still exist?
View Quote

I remember when it was Show Biz Pizza.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 7:00:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Standard Oil

I told the secretary one day I was out the door going to Standard Oil. Later someone told me she told them I was gone to a new refinery and not the Exxon refinery 20 minutes away. After that another guy told her Esso one day and she wouldn't say it, just "he's not here".
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 7:01:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
In Canada,

Eaton's
Simpsons
View Quote

We had a Canadian grocery store chain called National in the STL metro in the 90s.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 7:01:59 AM EDT
[#35]
GM. Herter's. Cabelas. Quality Farm & Fleet. Big R / Stock & Field. Woolworth's. Service Merchandise. Rinks Bargain City. Moore's. Landmark / Countrymark. Texaco. Sohio. etc etc.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 9:05:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Not a company but a product:

Johnson's Paste Wax.

Discontinued. Remaining stock now sells for $75-$100/can.
View Quote
Why???

Link Posted: 10/9/2023 9:12:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://pbase.com/thresholdprod/image/106320605/large.jpg

https://pbase.com/thresholdprod/image/106320603/large.jpg

We loss

Eckard Drugs Stores

Harris Grocery stores

BI-Lo Grocery Stores

Record Bar

Camelot Music.

J.C, Penney's

Ivey's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnZd2kctmm4

At least three around here in SC TN and north AL.

I haven't read the whole thread:  Anyone mention Ontario Knives and Blackjack Knives?  Both are owned by Blue Ridge Knives now.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 9:19:18 AM EDT
[#38]
TG&Y
Zayres
Pic n Save
Not gone, just changed, but I remember when Dollywood was Silver Dollar City
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 9:36:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Compuserve
AOL
DEC
Wang Computor
Datsun
Compac
Sun Microsystems
Pontiac
Borders Bookstores
Pan AM
Netscape Navigator
Saturn
Fotomat
Circuit City
Mercury auto line
Blockbusters
KB Toys
Oldsmobile
Tower Records
Bugle Boy pants

Just to name a few.  Feel free to add more.

View Quote
My dad worked for 3 of those companies.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 10:27:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 10:29:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Not a company but a product:

Johnson's Paste Wax.

Discontinued. Remaining stock now sells for $75-$100/can.
View Quote
Some alternatives are:

1. Minwax Paste Wax: Probably the closest to Johnson's
2. Old Masters Paste wax: Carnauba blend
3. Briwax: Another carnauba blend
4. Renaissance micro-crystaline wax: Developed in the 1950's by the British Museum to treat valuable objects. It is good for wood, leather, and metal objects and protects against moisture better than any of the above. More expensive but a little goes a long way.

Link Posted: 10/9/2023 10:35:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Warshawski Brothers
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 10:37:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Eastern Airlines
View Quote

Still around in a reincarnated form.

Took a chartered flight on them in 2021 and I swear to God they had the absolute hottest stewardesses I've ever seen. Like European airlines level of hot.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Shopper's World
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 11:01:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Sanyo
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 11:01:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
ToysRus.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
ToysRus.

Is Toys R Us coming back 2023?
Now, the toy store's parent company, WHP Global, has a new vision to bring the toy store back to customers who never wanted to stop being a Toys “R” Us Kid. Up to 24 new Toys “R” Us flagship stores will open around the country beginning in 2024, CNN Business reports.4 days ago

FLORIDA — The classic superstore Toys "R" Us has opened in 34 Florida Macy's locations as of Oct. 15. Macy's, in partnership with Toys "R" Us parent company WHP Global, announced plans in July to bring the Toys “R” Us brand to every Macy's store in the country.Oct 17, 2022

This was in the local news not to long ago
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 11:04:01 AM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

Anyone remember Phar-Mor? Shut down after founder got into a wee bit of trouble!
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 11:04:42 AM EDT
[#48]
W.T. GRANTS was like a Kmart of Walmart ceased operating in 1976

W. T. Grant or Grants was a United States-based chain of mass-merchandise stores founded by William Thomas Grant that operated from 1906 until 1976. The stores were generally of the variety store format located in downtowns.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 11:12:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Fontaine Ferry Park was an amusement park in Louisville, Kentucky from 1905 to 1969.

Fontaine Ferry Park
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 11:13:20 AM EDT
[#50]
General Foods
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top