Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Posted: 4/14/2019 11:39:06 AM EDT
why are they a thing?  serious question.

i know it's been researched to death and that's what the public wants... but why?  seems like all the practicality of a sedan but with the utilitarian looks to satisfy the midlife crisis soccer mom urban cowboy.

some sort of virtue signaling?  i dunno.  most construction sites i notice haul gear in a standard cab 8' bed.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:41:16 AM EDT
[#1]
They're good for homeowners that just want to carry bulky stuff once in a while.  They make them because people buy them.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:41:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Brodozer.

Being able to haul plywood and 2x4s without shit hanging out the back is why you buy a truck, IMHO.

Much like fire extinguishers, AR15s and CCW pistol, better to have and not need, than need and not have.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They're good for homeowners that just want to carry bulky stuff once in a while.  They make them because people buy them.
View Quote
This.

9 out of 10 truck owners are just in it for the bro feelz.

You'll never see a rancher, or construction worker with a tiny bed truck.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh Jesus Christ, again?

Yes they are expensive, yes you dont want to pay for one.

Yes, some people have multiple trucks, trailers and other equipment to use if they need a bed larger than 6 ft.

Yes, some people like fancy shit in a truck, these people are typically the people that use one every day.

No, the 1970s bare bones trucks are not better in any conceivable way.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:44:29 AM EDT
[#5]
My crew cab f150 has a 6.5' box...
That's the shortest I'd ever go.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:44:55 AM EDT
[#6]
LOL, been days I've wanted a 12' bed.

Just got it's 3rd bath since 2005!
Pressure washer.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Brodozer.

Being able to haul plywood and 2x4s without shit hanging out the back is why you buy a truck, IMHO.
View Quote
that's another thing..  the brodozer crowd.  if a truck has even a minor lift, it's that much more difficult to grab the kids soccer gear out of the bed.  kind of kills the point of having a open bed to begin with.  jmho.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#8]
You dont need length when you got straps. Just stack it high!
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:46:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Long bed is best bed.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I would say a good quantity of people with crew cab and short beds probably own a trailer as well.

I see your point though with those crew cab full size and  midsize trucks. The bed is maybe 5 foot and seems valueless.

6.5 foot bed is a good size.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:47:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

i know it's been researched to death and that's what the public wants... but why?  seems like all the practicality of a sedan but with the utilitarian looks to satisfy the midlife crisis soccer mom urban cowboy.

some sort of virtue signaling?  i dunno.  most construction sites i notice haul gear in a standard cab 8' bed.
View Quote
Why do you care?

My friend tows a 40ft 5th wheel toy Hauler with a ‘07 MegaCab shortbed.
I tow a 36ft 5th wheel toy Hauler with a ‘00 QC long bed. His truck is much more comfortable and he carries 4 adults easily.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:47:55 AM EDT
[#12]
They are like the supposed SUVs that are really minivans.  The car companies sell them to "men" that want to pretend their wife has not castrated them.

I have a crew cab, 8' bed, Chevy 2500.  PITA in tight parking lots, but I can haul anything I want.  Even though it is a 3/4 ton, I've hauled a ton of rip-rap on numerous occasions.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:47:57 AM EDT
[#13]
You can’t add cab space to a truck, but you can always add cargo space.

Overall length has to stop at some point so you don’t end up driving a bus.

A surprising amount of stuff can be securely carried in the bed. The bed is also good for carrying things you don’t want to haul inside an enclosed vehicle.

Trucks are cheaper than comparable SUVs by a significant margin.

Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:49:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Took this the other day. Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:49:24 AM EDT
[#15]
If there's less sheet metal ahead of your rear wheels than behind, you're doing it wrong.

And 6.5' beds aren't long.beds.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:52:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Smaller trucks are better on tight trails and hunting roads up here in the mountains as well as small parking lots while in towns. Combine that with needing 4 doors and a place to put dead things in the back and I’m not sure if there is a better truck for the mountain west.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#18]
In this thread OP reveals his intelligence level.

*Spoiler it ain’t much guud.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:52:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Some people are just retarded.

That board could most likely be easily carried across the bed diagonally.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:52:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is why I bought an access cab.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:54:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Obviously "Stop liking things i don't like." comes into play here.

Until someone gives me $50k to buy the truck THEY like, Ill buy the truck I like.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You dont need length when you got straps. Just stack it high!
View Quote
that's actually a pretty good point.

if i were in the market for a crew cab short bed, my first accessory would probably be one of those over the cab lumber racks.  seems like a good enough compromise.  accessibility restrictions due to it's height would kind of suck though.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:55:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Is there something about seeing short bed trucks that gives a small number of people a room temperature IQ? I can't believe that natural selection would allow this much stupidity into the world, yet we still have people too stupid to comprehend that people can do everything they want with a short bed truck.  It's really impressive the lengths some people will go to to broadcast their ignorance.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:57:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Drive whatever you want.

I own a construction company drive 5’ bed trucks. Mostly for off roading and in baja. A long bed is not manueverable and cant get to certain spots- easier to get high centered.

If I need to haul stuff for the projects i have employees and a flat bed. No Pick up is gonna haul pallets and ballets of block or 20’ bar around.

5’ bed is perfect for off-road truck.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:57:38 AM EDT
[#25]
My F-150 crew has a 5'5 bed with a Leer topper. It's surprising what you can hall in it. Now I'm not hawling 20' sections of pipe, or 16' two by's, but I have been know to hall some 10 footers angled out the back. I was looking at a rig that would tow my trailer, hold 5 or 6 people and fit in a regular parking space. If I need to haul something bigger, I can borrow or rent a flatbed trailer.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#26]
I blame australia
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Because I couldn’t care less about hauling lumber in the bed of my truck. I have trailers for that if it ever comes down to it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#28]
This may be hard for the OP to imagine, but I use my crew cab, short bed truck as a pickup truck every day. I’m not a contractor so I’m not hauling 12’ lumber and I don’t own horses so it doesn’t need to pull a fifth wheel stock trailer.

But it hauls my garbage cans to the transfer station every Sunday, tows my race trailer full of bikes to the track every weekend, it hauls 8’ lumber and cinder blocks for my Johnny Homeowner projects just fine, it tows my fishing boat to the lake with no problem, it hauls my surf fishing crap onto the beach all summer, it just had my walk behind Scag in the bed, etc etc etc.......

And it does it all with my entire family along for the ride.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:58:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
In this thread OP reveals his intelligence level.

*Spoiler it ain’t much guud.
View Quote
enlighten me, oh wise one.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Smaller trucks are better on tight trails and hunting roads up here in the mountains as well as small parking lots while in towns. Combine that with needing 4 doors and a place to put dead things in the back and I’m not sure if there is a better truck for the mountain west.
View Quote
Compromise, as in all things.
Even here, I do a lotta 100 pt turns with a CC and 8' bed, while running  trapline.
Plus, I sleep in the bed a lot, and I aint a midget.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:00:05 PM EDT
[#31]
I drive a sedan and rent a pickup from Home Depot when I need one. I can’t wait to get a long bed single cab like I had growing up. But I would rather keep driving the sedan and rent from Home Depot than buy one of those giant rancheros.

ETA
Don’t have a pickup right now cause I gotta wait till I have another garage
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:02:36 PM EDT
[#32]
I have one. Actually I have two pickups, one (97 F150 extra cab 4×4) is/was my work truck, the other (2017 F150 supercrew 5.5' bed) is my go on vacation and general casual driver. I don't need a long bed to haul suitcases or groceries and my truck is infinitely more comfortable than a car for long trips. Why does it bother you guys so much what other people drive or the clothes they wear?
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:04:02 PM EDT
[#33]
You might be surprised to learn that people buy trucks for a variety of reasons some of which might not actually include hauling full sheets of plywood and drywall.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:06:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What. The. Fuck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Stupid on a new level.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:06:56 PM EDT
[#35]
I bought a SCrew so my dog would have more room and she's not riding in the bed.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:07:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't need to haul huge truckloads of stuff around on a common basis. I need a truck that I can move furniture, lumber, rocks, soil, etc around with when I need it. Something I can throw a deer or elk in the bed of. Something I can toss a bunch of fishing or camping gear in, and get me anywhere I want to go while still having enough room inside for my wife and son to be comfortable.

Is this really that difficult? If you don't see the difference in utility between a sedan and a small pickup, you're a little .

Have I ever seen a construction worker or ranch owner driving a short bed truck? Nope. But I've never seen a longbed truck sitting at a lakeside that's only accessible by driving 20 miles on a rocky,confined offroad trail, either. Different uses.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Lol, ask somone?
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#38]
does anyone have experience with a lumber rack on a truck bed 6.5' camper shell?  seems like a good practical compromise.  i don't see this combo out in the wild very often.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:10:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This.

9 out of 10 truck owners are just in it for the bro feelz.

You'll never see a rancher, or construction worker with a tiny bed truck.
View Quote
Lol. I'm in construction and I have two trucks, a half ton and a 3/4 ton both with short beds.

I haul trailers with all my supplies and sheet goods. It's weather tight, lockable, and I can leave it on a job site when I need to leave and not unload the bed.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:10:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Compromise, as in all things.
Even here, I do a lotta 100 pt turns with a CC and 8' bed, while running  trapline.
Plus, I sleep in the bed a lot, and I aint a midget.
View Quote
Roof top tent fixes the sleeping problem. Also gives you time in a possible bear scenario, which is a win/win for someone paranoid like me
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Because I own these magical inventions.

Trailers do everything better than a bed does. But you need a bed to tow.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Super crew + trailer. Its not rocket science I get everything I need in  vehicle, with the equipment to do more as i please.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:11:33 PM EDT
[#43]
My 8ft bed is a short bed once I put a fuel tank and a tools box back there ?
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:11:58 PM EDT
[#44]
If I had a crew cab, groceries would go in the back seat, and steel targets would go in the bed. When I do buy 2x4s, they are getting cut in half at Home Depot for use as target stands.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:13:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Meh, I've never had a need for a bed over 5-6ft. and definitely no reason to drive around some ridiculous 8ft dually for the 0.08% of the time that it's more convenient than hooking up the trailer.

Crew cab pickups are the new full-size American sedan, pick your flavor but you ain't special.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:13:17 PM EDT
[#46]
I have a crew cab with a 5.5 ft bed.

I don't really have any issues with the shorter bed.  If I can't get it into the 5.5 foot bed, 99.9% of the time it won't fit in the 6.5 foot bed either.  And the way I look at it, I have more room with the Crew Cab and a 5.5 foot bed than the guys who get an extended cab with a 6.5 foot bed, and then stick a box in the bed. . . .
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Still needs to fit in a garage.  More cab equals less bed.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:15:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Duck tape a milk crate to the back of a Camry. Boom, pickup truck! and about half the cost.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:15:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Basically,
Some of these trucks are bought by people who don’t put up drywall for a living and don’t usually need to bring full sheets of plywood to a job site every day.

They are cool with a spacious 4 door truck interior,
The goose neck in the bed,
And the towing capacity.

Their primary purpose for the truck is towing a 100k trailer with three 50k horses in it,
Or a 50k trailer with a 100k muscle car in it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 12:17:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top