Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/24/2022 5:29:35 PM EDT
i typically tumble my brass before and after resizing, never live. is there an added benefit or downside to tumbling live ammunition? other than aesthetics?
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#1]
There is no downside
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 5:32:26 PM EDT
[#2]
The friction and heat might cause one to go off. Not worth it  just get the brass as clean as possible before loading, problem solved
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 5:37:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The friction and heat might cause one to go off. Not worth it  just get the brass as clean as possible before loading, problem solved
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/24/2022 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#4]
If loaded ammo looks too bad to shoot without some sort of cleaning, I just don't mess with it, and I dispose of it.  If it's just dull looking, I don't care, and will shoot it anyway.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 5:37:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Why bother? Stained bread shoots the same as shiny brass.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 5:39:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why bother? Stained bread shoots the same as shiny brass.
View Quote

to remove case lube, if you used a progressive press

OP, yes but not for long.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 5:39:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't normally, and would say usually there is no reason to, but I have in the past and haven't run into any issues.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There is no downside
View Quote

I tumble to make them clean and shiny and get off resizing wax.

I tumble before sizing, and sometimes after loading.

Pretty good thread about it Here

ETA: Just realized the OP in my linked thread is fubar, no photos, but you can still read about the experiment , results, and debate.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 5:41:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

No it wont, and if I recall you have spouted this ignorant bullshit in similar previous threads. You are wrong, get over it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 5:41:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wrong. Factory loads are finish tumbled for shine.

Personally, decap, wet tumble with pins, resize with home brew lube, wet tumble no pins, trim and load with nitrile gloves to reduce oils and contaminants. Actually I use gloves during all reloading steps.  Dawn and lemi shine are your friends. Comes out sparkling clean inside and out with no need to tumble later, no dust, and no need for dry media.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 5:45:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Only when they are really dirty or corroded.  Proper storage avoids the need to do that.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 5:45:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I do. It’s perfectly safe.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 5:46:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Stop, please.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 5:48:41 PM EDT
[#15]
My cases have lube on them. After they are done I tumble to remove the lube.  A thousand rounds at a time with corn cob media. Everyone in our club does it, everyone I know does it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I tumble them dry as a matter of routine.

Back in the '90s, I made an absolute shit ton of 38/357 and stuck them in 30 cal cans.  I pulled them out of storage around 2020 to use them and they had this 'oily film' all over them.  I ended up having to tumble them before I would stick them in my revolvers anyways, so...  Now it's the final step prior to storage.

Shot fine, BTW.

Do it and don't touch them without gloves.

I'm about to spend a few weeks running up some 9mm, maybe 20k worth, and I'm gonna definitely tumble them prior to storage.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 5:51:09 PM EDT
[#17]
If your components are clean to begin with, you won’t need to do any cleaning or polishing once they’re assembled.

And tumbling live rounds will not set them off.....that’s total BS.

If anything, the burn rate of the powder might be slightly changed, although I have no proof, but it’s a logical possibility.

If I had some old completed rounds that needed to be cleaned, it wouldn’t hurt to tumble them, but probably not for hours.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 5:51:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I lube my pistol cases because I'm loading in a single pass at 2200-ish rounds per hour and it makes the press run more smoothly.  I tumble after to pull the lube off.  It's been tested to infinity and beyond not to cause degradation of powder or primer or change bullet characteristics.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 5:56:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.  Nothing here is true.

It iakes 300deg F to cook a round off.

No amount of friction, vibration, rounds slamming into each other in a tumbler, rolling around in the glovebox of your dedicated trail truck, or imbedded in a actual vibrator is going to set off a center fire round.

I have baked off hundreds of thousands of rounds to recover brass and lead from effed up ammo that never made it it market for one reason or another.  This includes everything from 22 to 12 gauge to 50 BMG.  

That was definitely fun!
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 5:57:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Didnt you learn anything from the last thread?
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Username checks out.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 5:59:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thank God there are internet experts keeping us safe with accurate, verified information.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Several times been offered "barn find" boxes full of various corroded shit, threw it all in the vibratory with corn media and cleaned it up.
Didn't die.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 6:00:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have documentation of that EVER occurring?  

I've tumbled loaded ammo for decades and never had an issue.  Commie stuff, American stuff, my reloaded stuff.  I didn't tumble it unless it was really nasty for one reason or another.  All went bang.

Tumble it and move on.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#25]
tumbling live ammo for 20mins is not any worse than ammo bouncing in an 18 wheeler for 12 hours

it’s fine
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 6:02:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 6:03:09 PM EDT
[#27]
i tumble, brass, loaded ammo, old dirty ammo, nasty looking mil surp, its all going in
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 6:04:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Every one of these rounds goes through the tumbler after loading:

Dillon 1050 with Ammobot auto drive loading .40 S&W at almost 3k/hr
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTZ3JKL2JXA
View Quote

I can fap to that.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 6:06:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I can fap to that.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/24/2022 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Sometimes when needed.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn that’s crazy. Do you have any studies I could read that cite those types of findings?
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Yep.  It's the easiest way to get case lube off.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#34]
All the time. I don’t like little green fingerprints on ammo that I store long term.

I also tumble old carry ammo that I take out of rotation. Tumble and put back in the boxes.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 6:50:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's your funeral
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 6:56:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I can fap to that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can fap to that.

Indeed
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It's your funeral
View Quote

LOL...just stop.  I've run 150k plus rounds, both rifle and pistol through a tumbler after loading and have never set one off and never had one fail to go bang for any reason related to tumbling.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 6:58:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Uh no problem tumbling live rounds. Done it for years. I’ll clean up tarnished rounds and add a little polish to give it a protective barrier.

ETA hit submit by mistake.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 7:00:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/24/2022 7:03:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/24/2022 7:04:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/24/2022 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't because it's easier to wipe the lube off with a cloth than it is to remove tumbling media from hollow points with a dental pick.

Link Posted: 10/24/2022 7:07:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I don't because it's easier to wipe the lube off with a cloth than it is to remove tumbling media from hollow points with a dental pick.
View Quote

If you use walnut media, this won't be an issue.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 7:07:56 PM EDT
[#45]
No

I don't want my home exploding

Link Posted: 10/24/2022 7:09:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

No it wont, and if I recall you have spouted this ignorant bullshit in similar previous threads. You are wrong, get over it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#47]
I love my reloads to have very shiny brass. I had some in the tumbler for hours and found a live one when done.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It's your funeral
View Quote

Is it?
I hope your joking.

Let me ask you a serious question:

Suppose that you have an electric hotplate, on which is a steel plate.  Upon that plate is a random .45 cal cartridge of any brand that uses a brass case, primer ( large or small, Magnum or standard), propellant normally considered 'gun powder', and a projectile of any commonly used type; be it jacketed, full metal jacket, total metal jacket, lead, hard lead pure copper, black talon, or ranger tallon.

Now, the plate is set to 320 degF.

What do you expect to happen to the case, primer, projectile, the plate, and the immediate environment?
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 7:12:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I love my reloads to have very shiny brass. I had some in the tumbler for hours and found a live one when done.
View Quote

Only one was live?  What happened to the rest, did they go off while tumbling because of the heat buildup?  
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 7:13:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

If you use walnut media, this won't be an issue.
View Quote

Only rich people use hollow points.  I can only use round nose...  It's not a problem...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top