Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 9:22:52 PM EDT
[#1]
MEK
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 9:39:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Dawn PLUS coffee grounds.

I just scoop out the ground straight from the filter and toss the rest when I’m done. Works like magic, and the coffee oils leave your hands soft and moisturized.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 9:44:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Laundry detergent.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 9:47:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/41Mbpn3ZE9L._AC_SY450_.jpg

We have (and sell) it where I work. I haven't found anything this stuff won't take off.

Grease
Oil
Paint
Any lubricant
Gas (even gets rid of the smell)
View Quote

This is good shit!
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 9:57:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Powdered laundry detergent.  It will also let you know of any small cuts you have that may have gone unnoticed.
View Quote

THIS-my GF owned a service station for over 35 years, always had a box of Tide or some other powdered detergent at the utility sink in back.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 10:15:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
gojo or similar liquid pumice soap
View Quote
This and a nail scrub brush available at every dollar store. Gojo Orange used to come with a decent one. And buy thicker gloves (9 mil black).
Also, cut your fingernails to the nubs. I can't stand having *any* fingernails or toenails beyond the pink ... no white ledge for shit to get under or snag on shit. Drives me f---ing nutz.

Oh, and then there's also washing dishes by hand for a few days. Saves electricity and the wifey will know you love her.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 10:22:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Napalm?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Diesel fuel followed by soap.

Napalm?

No, diesel works great, we keep a coffee can of it next to the sink at the truck shop. Use it for heavy grease from fifth wheels and similar nasty hard-to-remove grease.

Have you ever tried to light diesel fuel on fire?
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 10:37:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I went to bleed the brakes on my explorer and got grease and grime all over my hands.   I was wearing rubber gloves but they tore and didn't realize it until too late.   Now there is black car grease and grime under my nails and ground into my skin.  I used lava soap and a scrub brush and the shit is still there.   Even scraping with a knife blade leave the nails looking dirty.

Is there a tier 1 method of cleaning this shit off?
View Quote
Tide. Added benefit, it'll also cauterize any cuts you got while working.

You can also use chicken fat.

Link Posted: 5/2/2022 10:39:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Dawn in a pinch.
Gojo if available.

Also check out GripClean.  Looks gimmicky but that stuff got dried roofing tar off of me like it was nothing.

Link Posted: 5/2/2022 10:53:09 PM EDT
[#11]
dawn and baking soda. make a paste and scrub. rinse.

also works great to remove rust patina from high carbon knives
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 10:54:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Grease remover.  It loosens it so you can use a paper towel to have clean hands (but you still use soap and water afterward).

Then take that paper towel with that grease and use it for fire starting.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 11:15:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The manly answer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gasoline.

The manly answer.

No, the answer is a man or even a boy can live with some dirt under their nails.  Just wow that there is a thread for this.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 11:22:47 PM EDT
[#14]
We only use this at the shop...

Not to be confused with Cherry Balmz...
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 11:32:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Chicken wings. Eat 15 and the grease will clean the stains right off by the 10th one.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 11:48:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Cheap olive oil. No need for EVOO.

The original solvent.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 11:49:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Proper gloves for the job + orange pumice stuff
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 6:30:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No, the answer is a man or even a boy can live with some dirt under their nails.  Just wow that there is a thread for this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gasoline.

The manly answer.

Not with what I do for a living.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 6:57:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Cherry Gojo.

Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:27:26 AM EDT
[#20]
I go shop rag, fast orange, parts washer with brush. Into the house it's Lava and a nail brush. My woman calls me Pigpen, I'm always happier when I'm dirty.

I've never been able to wear any kind of glove except around raw meat. I recall well a guy in HS shop class when a drill press tore off his glove and took his pinky with it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:28:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Diesel fuel followed by soap.
View Quote

This is what I used to do when I painted with oil base. Works for grease too.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:43:35 AM EDT
[#22]
I use Lava soap and a scrub brush if it's really bad.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:55:04 AM EDT
[#23]
lol
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:58:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 8:20:59 AM EDT
[#25]
I currently have a tub of Gojo in the garage but I've always liked Fast Orange. Three life times ago I was working in a garage helping a guy and when we were done I followed him over to the sink to wash up and used Fast Orange for the first time. Prior I just kept a bar of Lava soap and a brush near by as that is what I was taught. I was blown away by the stuff and it smells awesome. I now want to try the Zep Cherry Bomb stuff. Also, the disposable mechanics gloves they make today with texture fingers and thick vinyle are amazing. I buy a box for any car project and will peel them off and put fresh ones on throughout the project if need be just to keep my hands from getting dirty in the first place.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 8:24:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I went to bleed the brakes on my explorer and got grease and grime all over my hands.   I was wearing rubber gloves but they tore and didn't realize it until too late.   Now there is black car grease and grime under my nails and ground into my skin.  I used lava soap and a scrub brush and the shit is still there.   Even scraping with a knife blade leave the nails looking dirty.

Is there a tier 1 method of cleaning this shit off?
View Quote

Gasoline!
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 8:28:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Dawn dish soap for the win.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 8:30:08 AM EDT
[#28]
WD40 in a pinch , Dawn & water when you have it~
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 8:32:42 AM EDT
[#29]
9 mil thickness gloves.  They rip less than cheap 5 or 7 mill. After that, I just use the black and yellow wipes from Amazon and the rest I just ignore. Why work on the car if you’re going to cry about dirty hands after?
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 9:01:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Wash them in a bucket of gas
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 9:25:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Long really hot shower with bar soap and scrub yourself and hair with fingernails.  One shot clean, fingernails and all.   Dishwashing works too.
Spent some years as a mechanic, fingernails did fine, its the dirt that works it's way into callouses that stays.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Not with what I do for a living.
View Quote
If it's what I think you do for a living, you're probably fine working in gloves, you just need better gloves for car stuff, and lotion up your hands first.  9m nitrile is what you want.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 9:49:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

No, diesel works great, we keep a coffee can of it next to the sink at the truck shop. Use it for heavy grease from fifth wheels and similar nasty hard-to-remove grease.

Have you ever tried to light diesel fuel on fire?
View Quote

Yes.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:04:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:26:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Second vote for WD40, then dish soap if you don’t Gojo ,etc.   If that don’t get it, I don’t worry about it, it won’t come off on my samich, it’ll wear off.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:35:03 AM EDT
[#36]
60 grit.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
9 mil thickness gloves.  They rip less than cheap 5 or 7 mill. After that, I just use the black and yellow wipes from Amazon and the rest I just ignore. Why work on the car if you’re going to cry about dirty hands after?
View Quote

Personally, I don't care if they're dirty.   Other people care.   And it's turning out to be surprisingly difficult to remove.   I did get some better gloves.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 2:30:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Granulated sugar and dish soap
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 2:31:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Brake cleaner
View Quote

This and a good wire brush,you need to scrub hard enough to remove the first two layers of skin

<<< Mechanic for over 30 years. The only way I can get the ground in stuff off out is time off,by the time my hands are clean vacation is over.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 11:35:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Greasy clutch is the worst. It's like a combination of lampblack, paint, and printers ink that you grind into the pores.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The black brake/clutch dust doesn't come out easy.

Boy you can say that again.
Greasy clutch is the worst. It's like a combination of lampblack, paint, and printers ink that you grind into the pores.

The grease on the inside of one of these is the worst.  It is the tone ring for a number of GM trucks that goes in the axle. I would like to point out in the picture, there is some on the outer stamping.  It has carbon black in it.  

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4975866&cc=1441064&pt=10176&jsn=991
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top