Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/22/2018 4:29:39 PM EDT
Hi guys, i recently found a really nice like new phrobis m-9 bayonet for my LE6921 for a really good price (130 euros, here is a real affair because m9's are extremely rare and, if you find one in like new conditions, you should expect to pay 350-500 euros). That said, i was wondering how the bayonet was carried from US soldiers, attached to the tactical vest, attached to the belt or in some other way? Thanks ;)
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:38:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Ours were never let out of the Arms room.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:39:53 PM EDT
[#2]
The scabbard was clipped to the belt...
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:40:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Pretty much this.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:41:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I was never issued a bayonet when I was in the Army. Whether I was deployed or not.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine stayed back in the States.

I did have a fixed blade attached to my plate carrier though. If I was the carry the M9, it would be on my belt.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Never.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:44:09 PM EDT
[#7]
In a footlocker back at the barracks.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#8]
so i assume almost everyone of you had another fixed blade knife on him.. i have never been deployed in a combat zone but i would definitely carry one if i had the possibility to choose.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:45:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I couple guys on my first deployment put them on their IBAs. I kept mine in my tough box.

Supply never even issued them out on subsequent deployments.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:45:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Carried in large red tool boxes in the arms room.  Nice and easy for the inventory reports.
I think that happened after a Captain stuck a turtle with one, once.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:47:23 PM EDT
[#11]
With super rare exceptions, fixed blades (and folders for that matter) were used to pry open crates and open MRE packages. (after Viet Nam and maybe even not there. )
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:48:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
so i assume almost everyone of you had another fixed blade knife on him.. i have never been deployed in a combat zone but i would definitely carry one if i had the possibility to choose.
View Quote
Yes. But not a bayonet.  Actually, I used my multi tool 100% of the time. Now that was a godsend!
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:49:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I kept mine in my tough box.
View Quote
i'd do the same, where did they attached it specifically?
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes. But not a bayonet.  Actually, I used my multi tool 100% of the time. Now that was a godsend!
View Quote
but not fixed blade, right?
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:54:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Left side on belt of 782 gear
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#16]
In the bottom of a duffle bag.  If it ever left the arms room in the first place.  What a shit implement.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:54:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

but not fixed blade, right?
View Quote
I had a Gerber fixed blade. Don't remember what model. I bought personally. The multi tool wasn't a fixed blade obviously.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:55:10 PM EDT
[#18]
The scabbard clipped onto your web gear belt with an ALICE clip.  Usually on the right side behind your magazine pouch and ahead of a canteen pouch.  They only left the armory for parades or inspections.  We didn't take them when we deployed to the Gulf or Somalia, I can't speak for the post 9/11 era.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:56:42 PM EDT
[#19]
By the handle.  I tried the blade once and it hurt.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The multi tool wasn't a fixed blade obviously.
View Quote
not so obvious, fixed blades multitool exists, even if i don't find them practical at all
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 5:00:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I saw several of them broken at bayo training...did not intstill confidence in that blade whatsoever.
We were issued the M9 but they never left supply.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#22]
we use to have to take them out in the field with us until like, 2005. Attached them to our web belts when we had ALICE stuff and then clipped them into MOLLE when we got FLCs. After that never saw them leave the arms room, don't think we even took any to Iraq in 2008.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 5:01:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
not so obvious, fixed blades multitool exists, even if i don't find them practical at all
View Quote
Didn't know that.

Edit: When we had training, we attached the scabbards to our belts. I was in we still had LBE's. Only time we ever used them. And that was like 2 or 3 times.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 5:02:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The scabbard clipped onto your web gear belt with an ALICE clip.  Usually on the right side behind your magazine pouch and ahead of a canteen pouch.  They only left the armory for parades or inspections.  We didn't take them when we deployed to the Gulf or Somalia, I can't speak for the post 9/11 era.
View Quote
thanks for the info :) so it was basically where you usually have the pistol on the tactical belt?
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 5:02:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I saw several of them broken at bayo training...did not intstill confidence in that blade whatsoever.
View Quote
The m9 is considerably thicker than the m7, the m7 feels cheap and thin compared to the m9. Wonder how that bayonet charge in We Were Soldiers looked like irl.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 5:03:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
yep, kept in a sealed foot locker ...
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I carried mine on my ALICE belt for both my 2000 deployment to Kosovo and my 2002 deployment to Afghanistan. Of course, it was in Afghanistan that I found the one I have now. Some GI did a post poor job of securing his and I found it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#28]
We had the older m7 bayonets but I don't think I ever used it or carried it.
I did have/use the smaller aircrew survival knife (fixed blade about 5" long), but it was better at opening cans than cutting.

ETA now that I think about it, I did obsess about sharpening that silly thing. Still don't think I carried it except to layout for inspection.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 5:06:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The m9 is considerably thicker than the m7, the m7 feels cheap and thin compared to the m9. Wonder how that bayonet charge in We Were Soldiers looked like irl.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
On the other hand, the M7's tang is far and away more substantial, and is not a screw-on piece but integral to the blade. Same with the M6, M5, and M4 Bayonets for the M14, M1 Rifle, and M1 Carbine respectively, as well as the M3 Trench Knife. Seems to have been an OK design overall, as long as you kept to thrusting and didn't try to use it as a saber.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I carried mine on my ALICE belt for both my 2000 deployment to Kosovo and my 2002 deployment to Afghanistan. Of course, it was in Afghanistan that I found the one I have now. Some GI did a post poor job of securing his and I found it.
View Quote
on wich side did you carry it?
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#31]
With the pointy end up.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#32]
This is the correct way to carry a bayonet. If used correctly, it'll help the grass grow!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 5:09:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
They are definitely as I have both. I would carry an M7 first though...Those phrobis blades were snapping off near the handle...granted we were hyped up and acting silly, but none the less. They should not have broke. Not a metalurgist here but the metal seems fucky.  cool "looking" knife though
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 5:24:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Between our teeth was the preferred technique.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The actual event where they fixed bayonets and advanced did not result in any significant hand-to-hand combat. IIRC, they did it to recover the guys from the missing platoon at night. The charge at the end of the movie never happened. I think the last large-scale bayonet assault by the U.S. Army occurred in Korea by Colonel (then-Captain) Millet. As I recall it, his company was almost completely out of ammo. He and his company assaulted enemy positions on a hill using bayonets and some hand grenades, resulting in the capture of the hill. He was decorated with the Medal of Honor for it. They used Garands with the 16" M1905 bayonets, which definitely gives a man some reach. Those things were meant to double as short swords.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 5:32:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Upside down on your H-harness with a flare taped to it with 1,000-mile-per-hour tape!  Yut!
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#37]
On my ruck sack.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 5:36:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Upside down on your H-harness with a flare taped to it with 1,000-mile-per-hour tape!  Yut!
View Quote
Of course! how did you come up with that username, by the way?
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The m9 is weak because of the tang.

Attachment Attached File

I believe the m7 has a full tang.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
American History. And family History.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
i didn't know there was a link between Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and american history, cool
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:00:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's a pic of me at Checkpoint 75, a joint US-Russian checkpoint along the Kosovo/Serbian border, playing with a PKM. If you look closely, you can see my bayonet sticking out from my right side, where it was worn between an ammo pouch and a canteen.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:03:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Well Marines still carry bayonets...
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:11:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Here's a pic of me at Checkpoint 75, a joint US-Russian checkpoint along the Kosovo/Serbian border, playing with a PKM. If you look closely, you can see my bayonet sticking out from my right side, where it was worn between an ammo pouch and a canteen.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/242045/Kosovo_PKM_redacted-584265.JPG
View Quote
thanks for the info! couldn't find much anywhere on the web :)
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:17:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
i didn't know there was a link between Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and american history, cool
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

“sons of Cincinnatus, (who) without splendid magnificence or parade, going, with the genius of their just progenitor, Cincinnatus, to the plough; men who served their country without ruining it, men who had served it to the destruction of their private patrimony, their country owing them amazing amounts, for the payment of which no adequate provision was then made.”
-Patrick Henry, 1788
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:22:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

“sons of Cincinnatus, (who) without splendid magnificence or parade, going, with the genius of their just progenitor, Cincinnatus, to the plough; men who served their country without ruining it, men who had served it to the destruction of their private patrimony, their country owing them amazing amounts, for the payment of which no adequate provision was then made.”
-Patrick Henry, 1788
View Quote
as a roman history lover i find this info really interesting, thanks
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#48]
In Berlin we used them and they were fracking razor sharp.  Here I am at C P Charlie on October 27, 1961.  You can see mine on my left side being hidden partially by a my Protective Mask.  These blades were so sharp that one f my buddies grabbed his when it was on his rifle at the Queens Birthday parade.  He grabbed the blade and it cut a gash the entire length of his palm, and deep.  In SE/Asia they were darn useful in heavy follage.  However in all the years I saw several B Gys sliced pretty good in Riot Control.  I saw one get used in combat to stop an attacker who was close and it stuck pretty deep in his shoulder.
All in all it was mostly used as a knife to slice open ration boxes.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:25:28 PM EDT
[#49]
We had bayonets?
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:26:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top