[#2]

Link Posted: 12/16/2015 10:00:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#4]
This movie should bring back memories

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I remember when you could buy guns ar the Firestone store and Western Auto among other retailers.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I remember buying my AR when Colt and Bushmaster were the only 2  options at my local gunshop.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 6:30:14 PM EDT
[#7]

I remember:

When computers had green screens

When Nintendo came out

When cell phones were briefcases

When beepers were cool

When mountain bikes became popular

My grandma had a rotary phone in the kitchen when I was growing up.

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 6:38:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I remember "party line" phone service.

I'm NOT talking about 1-900 numbers.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I saw this on the facebooks.  I just barely sorta remember waiting till late at night to call long distance cause it was cheaper.

I remember "party line" phone service.

I'm NOT talking about 1-900 numbers.  

Fun part with paty lines if you were quiet you could hear all the town' dirty laundry from the town gossip
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 7:10:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

our first phone when i was a kid was a party line
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I remember and hated "party lines" and having to remember your rings.

our first phone when i was a kid was a party line

Yes.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 7:12:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They had ash trays at the end of the isle in the grocery store...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You could smoke in Burger King.
They had ash trays at the end of the isle in the grocery store...  

My barber, when I was a child, chain smoked during the cut. He used the ashtrays on the armrest of the chair. This was ...'76 thru early '80s.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I remember waiting by the radio to record music on a jam-box and then taking said recordings and making mix-tapes. Never thought once about the quality of the recording - the experience was all that mattered.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 7:58:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I remember when Bucket Seats for cars was a novelty.  Most cars built used Bench Seating  Bucket seats are pretty much standard for cars nowadays.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 8:26:46 PM EDT
[#13]
4 digit phone numbers.
The garbage pail and the garbage man.
Sneakers bought from a basket of sneakers.
.01 candy.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 8:31:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You could smoke in Burger King.
View Quote

Ashtrays on the tables....
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 8:43:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Red Goose shoes. When you bought a pair you got to pull the neck of the display goose and get a golden egg that had some small toy inside.

Mid to late 50's.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 9:59:50 PM EDT
[#16]

. . . this thread first started.

Link Posted: 1/3/2016 10:50:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Telephone numbers started with a word or 2 letters for short. Operator had to assist with long distance.
4 channels on TV.
Milkman dropped off milk and donuts a couple times a week. Left it in an insulated metal box on the porch.
First people in my extended family got a color TV and we had to go visit to see it.
Vividly remember watching JFK's funeral procession on TV and being so young I asked my Mom "How does he breath in that box?"
Cigarettes at 40 cents a pack when I started smoking. I got a stern look from the man behind the counter, but he sold them to me.
Sunoco 260 was 32 cents a gallon when I started driving. Gas pumps had one digit left of the decimal.
First job was pumping gas. Normal to be told "Give me 2 dollars worth." Boss showed me how to short stick when checking the oil.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 11:10:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I remember when you could go through a whole thread on ARFCOM and see all of the pictures.

Link Posted: 1/3/2016 11:20:49 PM EDT
[#19]
I remember when I could remember. Well kind of.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 11:34:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They do that here, too.  Although it's a bit unnerving if there is an active thunderstorm in the area at noon on the first Monday.  :)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Air raid siren drill..I heard them couple years ago in OK for tornadoes. .scared the shit out of me.

To this day, the tornado sirens are tested at 12:00 noon on the first Monday of every month here . . .

The sound is actually rather comforting when you realize that they are working just fine.

dp

They do that here, too.  Although it's a bit unnerving if there is an active thunderstorm in the area at noon on the first Monday.  :)

The siren at the fire house probably 3 miles as the crow flies sounds everyday at noon. I can hear it when it is calm out.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:34:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I remember 15 cents gallon gas and 15 cents McD burgers.
View Quote

19.9 cents a gallon, they washed your windows, checked  your oil (and maybe water), gave you trading stamps, a glass, bar of soap and a toy.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:35:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes, do you know what this is?  I used it all the time.

View Quote

Used that a lot at the National Archives.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 9:08:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.worldmicrographics.com/gallery/Indus/4601_a3u_lg.jpg

Yeah, I remember using a microfilm/microfiche reader to research my report for Historiography class in college.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I recently help a cousin shop for her young daughter.  I got to see the latest versions of Barbie:

I can remember when Barbie's didn't smile.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The smell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

To the old guys...........remember those mimeograph machines?

The smell.

I liked that smell
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 8:33:11 AM EDT
[#26]

My dad always wanted me to get a job pulling (not picking) tobacco during the summer but I'd always find a job elsewhere because that is one hard job.  Not only did you have to deal with the heat, but there was the black, tar-like tobacco gum you'd get on your arms that was hard to clean off, and these big ass, green, six inch long caterpillars you had to contend with as well
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 1:18:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I used to get sent to radio shack with a shoe box with all the TV's tubes in it to use their tester.

There was hell to pay if I came back with the wrong one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I remember when hardware stores and drug stores had tube testers. Many here will have no idea what I am talking about.

I used to get sent to radio shack with a shoe box with all the TV's tubes in it to use their tester.

There was hell to pay if I came back with the wrong one.

You STILL get the best sound quality from stereos with tubes rather than transistors
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 7:30:02 PM EDT
[#28]
I remember gas stoves that needed a lit match to start the oven and had pilot lights for the stove.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:13:25 AM EDT
[#29]
These little goodies were hip to have, Once Upon a Time:

Link Posted: 1/11/2016 7:39:08 PM EDT
[#30]
I was watching the Packers win Sunday.

I was suddenly remembering the New York Sack Exchange of the early 1980's.  Those Gents were going great until the 1982 AFC Championship Game.  They suddenly forgot that THIER Quarterback was Never supposed to be sacked during the game.  Twice in a row the QB was sacked.

What was Really interesting is that one day the Jets visited the Other NY Exchange.  Stock trading stopped for about half an hour.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 7:05:06 PM EDT
[#31]
As I'm typing this there are a little over 5,200 people logged in.
Later tonight the numbers will climb to over 8,000.

I can remember the times when the numbers were about halved from what they are now.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:39:02 PM EDT
[#32]
I remember when connecting to the internet sounded like a cat getting sucked into an engine, and you couldn't do it if someone was on the phone.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 2:55:23 AM EDT
[#33]
When my dad would leave us in the camp trailer being towed around...
 When Cruising wasn't villified...thousands of hot rods and a million girls.
Pinball arcades...
The Black beauty 70's 3 pick-up Gibson Les Paul Custom  hanging new in the music store...I would go in there and stare at it for days....(my 200 shot range model air rifle with the compass in the stock)
  When Heavy Metal began...Metallica at the Stone in SF...Wolfgangs,..When the Mosh pits began..Megadeth before he got signed...
Driving around San Francisco after the Loma Prieta...and looking at the collapsed freeway that I had driven under my whole life. drove my sportster there right after the quake...
few years after I lived in LA and rode the Northridge and Sylmar quakes...tri-fecta
         My uncle brought me to Texas as a kid,..and I remember drinking BIG RED for the first time...Soda Ultimadia!
  The first computer I remember seeing was before there were ant on the market...there was no screen...it was just a typewriter...that could compute stuff...It was at Lawrence Livermore Labs, My uncle took me there on a family day, I played baseball on the computer...Saw the Atom Smasher and the Sheeva sp? Laser...

Then saw the first Space Shuttle in somewhere Texas in a huge building...My cousin grandfather had something to do with it..
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 7:43:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.worldmicrographics.com/gallery/Indus/4601_a3u_lg.jpg

I'm ordering a new one at work!  We have a lot of old data on microfiche and film, and it's cheaper to spend the $8,878.04 on a new viewer and printer than to convert the data.
If you go up to our current viewer and tap it just right, you can hear the original Pearl Harbor broadcasts.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 11:32:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Duck and cover in grade school.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 10:32:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Duck and cover in grade school.
View Quote

Yep.

I've mentioned that Way Back in 1959-1960 I saw a Post Office jeep get filled up at a gas station.  I well remember seeing the numbers spin as the gas went through the hose.  The price for the gas was 25¢ per gallon for Premium.  I was dazzled by how fast the numbers spun up.

According to the CPI Inflation Calculator, the Very Same Gallon of Premium gasoline would now cost $2.05 per gallon.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:43:27 PM EDT
[#37]
I remember when, and it wasn't THAT long ago, that SSDD meant Single Sided, Double Density.

5¼ Floppy Disks were known to have Occasional problems with information storage.  The best and Premium disks had double the recording density of Standard Disks.  It also usually meant they could be recorded on Both sides and not just the one.

Then came the perfected 3½ semi-floppy disks.  5¼ disks were junked as fast as practical.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:50:53 PM EDT
[#38]
The first plane I ever rode on had bridge club train seating, two facing forward opposite two facing aft.  
With smoking.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:51:34 PM EDT
[#39]
NASCAR was real and the Hudson Hornet was the car to beat:
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:58:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Sgt Rock was had for 12¢ and gas prices for Premium was 24¢

Gas pumps were rotary and not digital.
Then came the Arab Oil Embargo and the increase in prices.  Gas stations had to double the price number on the dial:
http://blog.mlive.com/grpress/2008/05/large_OLD-PUMPS-SIGN.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I remember comic books being 25 cents and gas being 50 cents a gallon........

Sgt Rock was had for 12¢ and gas prices for Premium was 24¢

Gas pumps were rotary and not digital.
Then came the Arab Oil Embargo and the increase in prices.  Gas stations had to double the price number on the dial:
http://blog.mlive.com/grpress/2008/05/large_OLD-PUMPS-SIGN.jpg

We switched to liters for a short time when the price per gallon went over 99 cents.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#41]
When Jim Leyland was the manager of the Pittsburgh Pirates in the late eighties and early nineties, every so often the camera would catch him smoking in the dugout.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 9:07:25 PM EDT
[#42]
I remember going to the local store when I was about 8 years old and buying cigarettes for my father.  This was around 1974.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 9:09:19 PM EDT
[#43]
I remember when you only had to dial the last five digits of a phone number.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 9:20:01 PM EDT
[#44]
I remember strapping a canvas bag filled with newspapers to my ass and placing them gently by the FRONT DOOR of my customer's home

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#45]
We had a rotary party line when I was growing up.  We had to RENT the phone from Ma Bell.  Not being allowed to plug any non-Bell stuff into the phone lines.

Our first VCR was a Sanyo 4400 BetaMax.  It didnt last long.  Replaced with a couple of Toshiba Betas.  Wired remote.

Renting videos from PopInGo.  You could even rent a player too - in this thick plastic case.

Got a CD player early on from DAK.  Was a BSR branded.  Worked for a LONG time.

Had a fake quadrophonic box to make pseudo 4 channel audio from stereo LPs and tapes.

Had (still do) tons of vinyl that only got played once - to copy to cassette tape.  The original was filed away for safety.

10-10-321 and 10-10-220.  Saving a buck or two with 1-800-COLLECT and Alyssa Milano.

Typing programs into a C-64 for HOURS  from Compute! and Compute's Gazette then saving to cassette tape.

Four VHF channels, no UHF.

8-Track.

Cigarette butts littering the aisles in the grocery store.  People dropping ash in the produce.  Nicotine and tar stain covering EVERYTHING.

BBSes.  I still remember all the phone numbers.  529-2213, 269-4208, 267-0716, 522-0243, 524-1289, 687-0509, 942-4080.

Downloading TONS of warez, cracking copy protection, trading games like baseball cards.  SuperCard+.  Disk nibblers.

We as kids could run around with toy guns and not get shot by the police!

Microwaves cooked things FAST!

We had a 25" color TV on four angled legs.  Had to wait like 30 seconds for the tubes to warm up for a pic.

The first movie we ever rented was the 1984 Terminator - when it first came out.

Be Kind - Rewind.

Riding our bikes all day in the "city" and not worrying about getting ass raped by some guy in a windowless van.

Woolworth's, Monkey-Wards, Ben Franklin, Western Auto, Zayre's.

Seemed like my dad was ALWAYS changing plugs, points, and condenser to keep the cars running well.  Dwell meter, vacuum gauge, timing light, distributor wrench.

Motor oil in cardboard cans you had to stab with the metal spout thingy to fill the engine.  Yes, my dad let me pour the new oil in when I was like 5 or 6.  If you had a car, it took 10W-40 and if you had a mower it took 30 weight.  There was none of this 0W anything, 5W-20, 5W-30, 15W-40, 10W-30, holy shit it's endless and don't even start on synthetics.  Hell, the real old cans just said MOTOR OIL.

Mom leaning out the door and screaming your name when the sun started to go down.  Knowing you best drop whatever it is you are doing and get the hell home right now!

Dad not letting you get away with shit.  If we messed up, we knew it in no uncertain terms.

Chemistry sets.

Waxing airplanes.  Builds a great tolerance for hand pain and boredom.

Hanging out at the airport with my air radio and listening to the planes.  Actually walking right out to the LA Dodgers plane and checking it out without getting hassled.  Secure area?  More like "Don't let the planes run you over out there kid!"

And most of all I remember when I didn't have to worry about anything 'cause dad kept me in clothes and mom kept me fed.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 11:50:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I remember when you only had to dial the last five digits of a phone number.
View Quote

Before we moved to NYC, if you made a phone call of ANY kind you had to get the operator to make the connection.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 12:44:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Coke was still cola
The joint was a bad place to be
Back before Nixon lied to us all on tv
Before the Beatles and yesterday
When a woman that could cook still would
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 7:05:20 PM EDT
[#48]
When Football games were first televised, come Halftime they didn't go to a studio and tell the scores around the league/conference, they stayed in the stadium and televised the show.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 6:31:15 PM EDT
[#49]
I can remember when Five & Dime Stores actually HAD merchandise for 5¢ and 10¢
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 11:39:41 PM EDT
[#50]
I had to use a Parking Meter recently.

I can remember when a Penny was enough for a few minutes of time.  Now you better bring a quarter and MAYBE you'll buy enough time that One Cent used to buy.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top