BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

FIFY

I do remember pretty much everything on the list.

Add another: The spirit of 76 (1976). I was a little kid but I distinctly remember everything being red/white/blue. A local cement truck company painted the drums of all their trucks like flags and I loved watching them spin around.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You could smoke in Burger King everywhere.

FIFY

Add another: The spirit of 76 (1976). I was a little kid but I distinctly remember everything being red/white/blue. A local cement truck company painted the drums of all their trucks like flags and I loved watching them spin around.

My father managed a cement plant and yes, that is exactly what happened in '76!  RED WHITE and BLUE!

ETA:  This thread is awesome and anything I could add has been said.  Keep it going though.  Great memories.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 7:05:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I remember watching Howdy Doody on TV. And when the new thing was a transistor radio that you could carry with you. As a teenager watching Neil Young step on the moon. I was more interested in getting out the door with the girl I had recently met and into my 66 Chevelle than watching that with her parents.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I remember watching the first episode of SNL.

I remember when a Puka shell necklace was pretty much the best thing that you

could give your GF.

I remember when Pet Rocks, Simon and "Jellies" (All My 12yr old GF's wore them)

were cool.

Link Posted: 7/10/2016 10:16:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I remember watching Howdy Doody on TV. And when the new thing was a transistor radio that you could carry with you. As a teenager watching Neil Young step on the moon. I was more interested in getting out the door with the girl I had recently met and into my 66 Chevelle than watching that with her parents.
View Quote

Dude, I remember that.

Link Posted: 7/10/2016 11:09:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Getting up in the middle of night to go to the outhouse in deep snow.
Taking a bath in a washtub in the kitchen floor.
Watching telephone lines installed on poles the first time.
My grandmother milking cows every morning and churning butter.
Gallon jars of milk sitting in cold water in the spring box.
My grandmother sticking wet clothes in the washing machine ringer.
A bottle of pop or a candy bar was nickel.
Old men playing checkers in the store next to the wood stove.
Thinking how odd it was that people in town had their milk delivered every day.
Marshal Dillon (not Gunsmoke) and the Rifleman show.
Taking paregoric for a cough or sick stomach.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 11:57:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I remember Sambo's.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 12:07:30 AM EDT
[#7]
When most businesses were closed on Sunday.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 12:22:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Hiding under my desk at school because the commies could nuke us at any time. And the sound of constant sonic booms overhead.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 12:41:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I remember skate keys
Party line phones
Pong was my first video game
Flipping baseball cards
Climbing a rope to the ceiling of the gym and Dodge ball in grade school
A store called Rickel's
Having to get out of the old truck to turn the hubs if you wanted 4WD
The little triangle windows loved by smokers
Stomping on a button on the floor of the car to switch high beams on/off
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 12:44:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Rotary phones with party lines.  
Everything was made in America and we had a positive trade balance.
We had a thriving middle class.
Telephone booths
Candy bars were a nickel
Penny candy machines
First class stamps were three cents.
Silver coinage were used daily.
Men wore hats and women wore gloves when they shopping.
People wore their best clothes when they flew.

How we have fallen and guess we're, we've yet to hit bottom.

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 12:47:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I remember when they moved the striker to the back on a book of matches.

I remember pull tabs on beer cans.

Folks smoked Bull Durham.

"Big Chief" tablets.

The winos drank Gibson's muscatel.

Dogs were loose unless the owner chained them up to make them mean.  Nobody ever heard of, "house dogs".
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 1:06:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I remember listening to Eisenhower pass the torch to JFK on the radio then, a couple of years later we got a television and I watched the JFK assassination coverage while my mother cried. She was ironing clothes and the house smelled like starch, that smell still takes me back to that day every time.
View Quote

My mom was ironing too, just as she was the day she described Communism to me at three and a half years old during the Cuban Missile Crisis
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 1:07:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 1:17:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I remember writing my first computer program, in college....on punch cards..... Fortran
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 1:28:06 AM EDT
[#15]
I remember when VHS first came out and no one owned a VCR. You could go to the rental place and they would rent you a movie and a VCR. Virtually everyone getting a movie rented a VCR as well. It wasn't for a few years later until anyone I knew actually owned one.

We got a new TV that year and the thing was the best they had. It had maybe a 20" screen but was in a huge wooden cabinet the size of a dresser.

When I was in high school I worked in the oil field and the company paid for me to have a cell phone. It was hard mounted in my truck and the horn honked when it rang. I was the only kid with a cell phone that I knew of. I don't even think my parents had cell phones at that time.

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 1:44:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Flying on Branniff.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 1:51:58 AM EDT
[#17]
playing Missle Command on Atari with my dad
the smoking section in "Grandy's"
All the jacked up truckes had white spoke wheels
I bought cigarettes for $2.12 for my parents regularly.  I was like 6.
Haley's comet
Walking over a mile to and from elementary school.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 2:00:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I remember when..........

they raised the price of a movie to $0.10 and my parents bought a B&W TV so we didn't have to go to the movies because "that was such an outlandish increase."

there were still white only and colored only water fountains where we lived in TX.

when the farms where we lived in ID still had crank phones.

when a lot of the smaller gas stations down south still had the old glass tank pumps, and glass oil bottles with the built in spout.

I saw Truman on TV at my grandparents.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 2:03:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I remember when the Chicago Cubs won the World Series.

For course there were only 46 states back then so it was easier.
View Quote

1908? Dang, you're old! ;)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 2:10:27 AM EDT
[#20]
I remember when it was common knowlege that Mr Gerber (art teacher - Jr HS) was molesting kids. It was too taboo a subject for school admins to admit existed or deal with.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 12:02:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 12:26:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You could smoke in Burger King.
View Quote

LOL this. I had a stack of those cheap, nearly tinfoil BK ashtrays at home.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 8:58:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Flying on Branniff.
View Quote

I have a pack of cards of theirs somewhere....

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 9:15:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Gas was 19cents, a single beer was 15cents, coffee was 10cents, a bag of Lays chips was 5cents, MickyD burger was 9cents 1cent more for cheese, penny candy, lunch tickets at school were a dime, Dad`s friend came by the house and showed Dad a car he bought for $15, candy bars were a nickel, after The Wonderful World of Disney the NEW Chevrolets were introduced, NOBODY had AC, schools opened windows when it got hot, there were 3 grades of gasoline, regular, ethyl, and premium, pump gas octane was 120, Dad was brought home by the HighwayPatrol, patrolman asked Mom if she knew this man, Mom said he is my husband. Officer said put him to bed and you can go around the block and get the car.

WHEW!  No Walmart, no K-mart. Sears, JC Pennys, Montgomery Wards, Brocks and Broadway were the big stores. EVERYBODY looked forward to when the BIG STORES catalogs came out.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:45:07 PM EDT
[#25]
I remember when Sesame Street first came on the air.  It was novel in its approach to children's TV programing.  Oh, there was Romper Room and Captain Kangaroo of course, but they can be best be called the prelude TO Sesame Street.  Sesame Street took the best of what was already done and out there and came out with about the best TV show for children ever made.

It was so Good I watched many episodes that were first broadcast.  Sesame Street is well known for celebrity guest stars.  Watching Stage Star Geoffrey Holder count by ones from 1 to 20 as if he was on a New York Stage was impressive.  It happened nearly every day.

Sesame Street also spawned hit songs.  Such as:

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:52:38 PM EDT
[#26]
I remember Van Halen opening up for Black Sabbath and Eddie Money opening up for Robin Trower
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:53:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I took this picture a few days ago.

I can remember when the average machine cost 1¢ or 5¢, 10¢ were uncommon and machines that cost 25¢ were rarities and not the standard.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:15:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My dad didn't have to get up to change channels.  Uhf or vhf.  
I was his first remote control.

View Quote

I was a remote control too.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:26:31 PM EDT
[#29]
We would physically point the tv antenna south for San Diego stations and north for LA.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:39:33 PM EDT
[#30]
I remember when telephones were wooden and "1984" was a long way in the future.  "Voyage to the bottom of the sea." was set in 1971, I think.  My parents would not let me watch "Star Trek", so I had to watch the reruns later.  I saw Oswald get shot.  We got our first TV in 1960, and there were three stations.  PBS came later.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:44:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I remember when telephones were wooden and "1984" was a long way in the future.  "Voyage to the bottom of the sea." was set in 1971, I think.  My parents would not let me watch "Star Trek", so I had to watch the reruns later.  I saw Oswald get shot.  We got our first TV in 1960, and there were three stations.  PBS came later.
View Quote

I heard Oswald getting shot: I was in another room while my folks watched the TV as it happened.  It was Loud!
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:49:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Ashtrays in movie theatres.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:34:45 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You could smoke in Burger King everywhere.

FIFY

Yep. Remember the Freedom Train?
http://freedomtrain.org/images/aft/william-brandon-photos/american-freedom-train-wm-brandon-040_01.jpg

I remember that vividly.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:41:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Bringing a Benchmade/Emerson CQC7 on a plane without incident.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:20:31 PM EDT
[#35]
I remember the Long Jump was called the Broad Jump

I also remember watching this on ABC.  What you Must remember is not just that he set a New World's Record, but the unbelievable Margin by How Much Further he jumped.  A New Record by nearly Two Feet!

Link Posted: 9/6/2016 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Go to a restaurant and listen to some music.  10¢ for one song, three songs for 25¢
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#37]
I remember when people were largely good.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 8:20:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Colonel Sanders was still alive.

There was once a special:  Four pieces for $4.00.  And, NO, they were not all wings.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 8:38:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Once Upon a Time ALL TV sets received the signals from antenna's of one sort or another.
Exterior antenna's were usually on some tower connected to the house in some manner or another,
Jokes abounded on twisting the antenna Just Right for optimum reception.

Then came indoor antenna's.  As a whole they were called Rabbit Ears for obvious reasons.
The twisting the two antenna rods to receive the signals nearly became another American pastime

I personally remember attaching lengths of aluminum foil to the rods for better reception.  Generally they were about an inch and a half wide and, including fastening to the rods, about a foot long. Two or three strips on the antenna was about normal.

Then came cable and Satellite dishes.  From huge dishes 10 foot in diameter to dishes about 18 inches in diameter.  They both brought better reception.
At least for the channels you subscribed to.  Perfect sound with Adult channels blurred.  G-Rated viewing but uncensored audio.

TODAY people are cutting back cable subscriptions and getting indoor antenna's all over again.
With todays access to The Net it makes you wonder what will happen to cable and Satellite dishes/antenna's in the near future.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 12:55:05 AM EDT
[#40]
When the only time you were aloud to bring a transistor radio to school, was during the World Series
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 1:07:52 AM EDT
[#41]
This has been a fun thread to read but I was born in 1989 so I have nothing to contribute.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 10:22:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I remember Sambo's.
View Quote

Missed this post^ the first time.

Mostly white folk in Santa Barbara

The original sign was up for a long time past the PC point.

" />
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 7:52:50 PM EDT
[#43]
See that Metal loop inside the Drivers Wheel?

I remember THAT was what you pushed to sound the car's horn.
There was no air bag either.

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 3:00:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Phone Booths with closing doors AND one or more telephone books.

Nowadays phones like this - minus the doors - are found near Connivance Stores Just In Case somebody's cell is either lost/destroyed or has a dead battery.

Link Posted: 10/9/2016 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You could smoke in Burger King.
View Quote

You could smoke in hospital rooms as long as the Oxygen was off.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 8:14:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Homosexuality was gross, not cool.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 5:53:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Homosexuality was gross, not cool.
View Quote

"Everybody" knew about it but NEVER bragged about it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 6:07:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Phone Booths with closing doors AND one or more telephone books.

Nowadays phones like this - minus the doors - are found near Connivance Stores Just In Case somebody's cell is either lost/destroyed or has a dead battery.

http://usafluid.com/SitePages/Info/PhoneAccess/Images/phone_booth.jpg
View Quote

Its probably been a decade since the last time I saw a phone booth.

My kids are 16, 14 and 12. I was just telling them the other day that they'll never know what its like when you tried to contact someone that the person would either be at home or a place you knew the number too.

Another thing is they will never know what it was like to do a research paper for school using a stack of encyclopedias.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 6:09:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 6:14:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Treason was taken seriously and was fixed witn Capital Punishment.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top