[#1]
<Bama>
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:14:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
snip
View Quote

I get it. I really do. But how about we don't try to get an interesting thread locked, mkay?
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:15:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

"Chief of sinners though I be....The Lord laid down his life for me"

some days it's a real struggle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Believe what you wish.

I do not recall any 'If you don't believe you are going to hell" threads.

It's always non believers trolling for attention to satisfy their insecurities. I'm not insecure about my belief and I'm a sinner.

"Chief of sinners though I be....The Lord laid down his life for me"

some days it's a real struggle.

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:17:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well, to be fair--that IS what took down satan (lol). Don't be silly. When did Satan ever reject belief in the existence of God?

OK.  I'll give this one try and let it go.

Both you guys seem to be asserting that:

1) God, if He exists, made me a non-believer, and HE ALONE is the architect of my sensibilities. Correct.

2) HE (and this is important--HE, not my own choices, sensibilities, or unrepentant sins) created in my mind an aversion to/rejection of exploration by faith... Also correct.

...and instead subject God to the test of "proving" that He exists using "rational, repeatable means"--i.e. scientific instrumentation, and rejecting any less definitive or ambiguous proof. Not exactly. For me, proof doesn't necessarily have to be either repeatable or measurable on scientific instruments, but it does have to be unambiguous.

3) And since God will not meet my demands to "prove" that He exists, therefore He has denied ME the same advantages as those who have begun an earnest dialogue with Him grounded in faith--and who ARE offered plentiful proof which THEY find acceptable.  I.E. God won't jump through my hoops, therefore He is biased against me. Again, close, but not exactly. I make no demands, and present no hoops to be jumped through. I merely note what I need to accept that God is real. Other than that, yes, God would be denying me the same benefits he's giving to those to whom he did prove his existence.

4)  His refusal to submit himself to my intellectual conditions has denied me my right to equal access to the experience of God. See item 3, above.

5) Non-believers are the innocent victims of God's chosen methodology (a non-rational methodology which instead involves love, hope, humility, and trust, i.e. "faith"). Correct.

OK.

I have to say (and with all due respect) that this argument strikes me as being a tad self-serving. Of course it is. If God is real, it'd be kinda nice to know. (BTW, it's been my observation that when people use the phrase, "with all due respect," they usually think that little or no respect is due.)

I notice that you perceive yourself to hold NO responsibility for your lack of a relationship... Correct.

...(which makes sense to your sensibilities, seeing as you do not acknowledge that He even exists). Well, sure. That's because he has not shown me that he does exist. All I have been offered are words in an old book, tales of unexplained events. No tangible, verifiable evidence, let alone proof.

It might be worth considering that YOU play a larger role in your non-belief (read: inability to discern the existence of God) than you might perhaps imagine (or be willing to admit). How so? If he's there, and actually wants me to know he exists, he has my contact info.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys just can't seem to shake the idea that disbelief is somehow linked with prideful rejection. Getting to be ridiculous.
Well, to be fair--that IS what took down satan (lol). Don't be silly. When did Satan ever reject belief in the existence of God?

OK.  I'll give this one try and let it go.

Both you guys seem to be asserting that:

1) God, if He exists, made me a non-believer, and HE ALONE is the architect of my sensibilities. Correct.

2) HE (and this is important--HE, not my own choices, sensibilities, or unrepentant sins) created in my mind an aversion to/rejection of exploration by faith... Also correct.

...and instead subject God to the test of "proving" that He exists using "rational, repeatable means"--i.e. scientific instrumentation, and rejecting any less definitive or ambiguous proof. Not exactly. For me, proof doesn't necessarily have to be either repeatable or measurable on scientific instruments, but it does have to be unambiguous.

3) And since God will not meet my demands to "prove" that He exists, therefore He has denied ME the same advantages as those who have begun an earnest dialogue with Him grounded in faith--and who ARE offered plentiful proof which THEY find acceptable.  I.E. God won't jump through my hoops, therefore He is biased against me. Again, close, but not exactly. I make no demands, and present no hoops to be jumped through. I merely note what I need to accept that God is real. Other than that, yes, God would be denying me the same benefits he's giving to those to whom he did prove his existence.

4)  His refusal to submit himself to my intellectual conditions has denied me my right to equal access to the experience of God. See item 3, above.

5) Non-believers are the innocent victims of God's chosen methodology (a non-rational methodology which instead involves love, hope, humility, and trust, i.e. "faith"). Correct.

OK.

I have to say (and with all due respect) that this argument strikes me as being a tad self-serving. Of course it is. If God is real, it'd be kinda nice to know. (BTW, it's been my observation that when people use the phrase, "with all due respect," they usually think that little or no respect is due.)

I notice that you perceive yourself to hold NO responsibility for your lack of a relationship... Correct.

...(which makes sense to your sensibilities, seeing as you do not acknowledge that He even exists). Well, sure. That's because he has not shown me that he does exist. All I have been offered are words in an old book, tales of unexplained events. No tangible, verifiable evidence, let alone proof.

It might be worth considering that YOU play a larger role in your non-belief (read: inability to discern the existence of God) than you might perhaps imagine (or be willing to admit). How so? If he's there, and actually wants me to know he exists, he has my contact info.

Comments above.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:19:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why are atheist such beta males? Sad little creatures aren't they.

You are confused. Betas are followers. Christians are followers.

Atheists think for themselves, and set their own path.

Following God isn't being a follower...

That is funny, isn't it?
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 6:08:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Evolution is a ridiculous theory.

View Quote

Actually it is a very solid theory and based on solid evidence.  It has been tested many times and is well supported.

Please show us where objective unbiased scientific experimentation debunks the theory of evolution.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 6:33:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I think the Christians here have given this thread up to prayer , the atheist are feeling bold and confident in their unbelief. They aren't the most humble lot I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 6:46:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yes, I have many objections outside my faith. I'm college educated and am very familiar with what evolution is all about. I've done this before with Fatalerror and I don't feel like it tonight. I'm rather tired after installing hardwood flooring in my house all day today.

Believe whatever you want. However, I think if you keep an open mind and do some serious reading you will see that evolution is utter crap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Evolution is a ridiculous theory.

Why?

ETA Hang on. Let's keep this civil and simple. Do you have any objections to evolution that aren't based on your religious views? (That isn't a dig, and I won't make fun of you if that is the case.)

Yes, I have many objections outside my faith. I'm college educated and am very familiar with what evolution is all about. I've done this before with Fatalerror and I don't feel like it tonight. I'm rather tired after installing hardwood flooring in my house all day today.

Believe whatever you want. However, I think if you keep an open mind and do some serious reading you will see that evolution is utter crap.
I have an open mind, and I have done serious reading and I have found just the opposite: Evolution is a very well evidenced theory, and religion and "faith" are the utter crap.

YMMV.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 6:47:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I think the Christians here have given this thread up to prayer , the atheist are feeling bold and confident in their unbelief. They aren't the most humble lot I've ever seen.
View Quote
Neither are the Christians who are saying that evolution is a ridiculous theory and that they know this by feelings (aka, faith).

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 6:50:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't make outrageous claims with no evidence and people won't argue about it.

Applying skepticism evenly across the board is far more beneficial.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 6:53:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Neither are the Christians who are saying that evolution is a ridiculous theory and that they know this by feelings (aka, faith).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well perhaps you'll evolve into someone who doesn't give a damn what someone else believes. For now you atheist can't shut up and start you're own threads of discussion. You all sit around and wait for a christian thread to originate  - then attack!
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 6:56:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well perhaps you'll evolve into someone who doesn't give a damn what someone else believes. For now you atheist can't shut up and start you're own threads of discussion. You all sit around and wait for a christian thread to originate  - then attack!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have a safe space in the religious forum, no one will go in there and stir up shit.

In GD however, if you say stupid things, you are going to get called on them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 6:58:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Well perhaps you evolve into someone who doesn't give a damn what someone else believes. For now you atheist can't shut up and start you're own threads of discussion. You all sit around and wait for a christian thread to originate  - then attack!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well perhaps you evolve into someone who doesn't give a damn what someone else believes. For now you atheist can't shut up and start you're own threads of discussion. You all sit around and wait for a christian thread to originate  - then attack!

This wasn't an christian thread. This thread was a hypothetical question that specifically stated "assume god cam back and told you that your religion is wrong".
My first post in this thread answered the hypothetical question that was asked.  I didn't side track it.  Its not my fault christians couldn't answer the hypothetical question and rather turned it into a "christian thread." Its not my fault that other atheists were here saying "religion is stupid" rather than answering the question.
Perhaps Christians will pray enough that they'll actually follow christs's word and be humble. For now you Christians can't shut up and start your own treads of discussion. You all just sit around and wait for a non-christian thread and then try to take it over and turn it into a "evolution vs christianity" thread by specifically ignoring the questions that were asked in the OP, and rather, launching into how they are right and the hypothetical is stupid.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:40:08 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The plural of atheist is atheists.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:50:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 11:23:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You have a safe space in the religious forum, no one will go in there and stir up shit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then they'd have to feed on each other, as the religious do when there are no non-religious to convert or mock. Catholic vs. Protestant, pausing long enough to gang up on the Jew, Islam seemingly against EVERYONE...

Echo chambers aren't as much fun, I guess.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

We've assembled into a massive super organism.

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 6:18:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
No.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

As long as no one is counting on my knees for anything, I'm in..
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
No.

View Quote

Dude, you can't just tell them outright. They might freak out when they realize we want to...

*dramatic pause*

ERADICATE THEIR RELIGION!
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 7:36:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Dude, you can't just tell them outright. They might freak out when they realize we want to...

*dramatic pause*

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

*dramatic pause*

ERADICATE ALL RELIGION!
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

*dramatic pause*

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

*dramatic pause*

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 7:46:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Nobody expects the atheist inquisition.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:29:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote
Hell, even I didn't expect this direction of the thread.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:36:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ERADICATE ALL THE EXPECTATIONS AND OTHER THINGS!

ETA And then we'll have tea and biscuits.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:44:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are many reasons why evolution is ridiculous other than reasoning based on faith. There are many scientists who agree with creation. You and others are blinded by your zeal for the subject and ignore everything that doesn't fit your narrative of indifference or hate towards God.

I'm not wasting anymore of my time on this forum presenting information that is readily available on the internet. You will ignore it or counter with the evolutionary viewpoint. We've already done this before. Believe whatever you want.

I know God created the Universe and made man in His image.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

There are many reasons why evolution is ridiculous other than reasoning based on faith. There are many scientists who agree with creation. You and others are blinded by your zeal for the subject and ignore everything that doesn't fit your narrative of indifference or hate towards God.

I'm not wasting anymore of my time on this forum presenting information that is readily available on the internet. You will ignore it or counter with the evolutionary viewpoint. We've already done this before. Believe whatever you want.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:04:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you say that in, literally, every single thread that has anything remotely to do with religion...and yet here you are...again...still.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:04:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:08:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

you say that in, literally, every single thread that has anything remotely to do with religion...and yet here you are...again...still.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did I present any information? Did I present evidence? Did I post links discrediting evolution?

Reading comprehension is key.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:09:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Only if all of you mocking God new what you were in for . Repent and change your ways now while you still can.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:17:22 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can we have crumpets too?

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:19:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Only if all of you mocking God new what you were in for . Repent and change your ways now while you still can.
View Quote

I don't want to be a Muslim.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:19:43 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:22:14 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope. I have no agenda. I am not ignoring anything. I've read the arguments of these "scientists" and they do not hold up even to the mildest scrutiny.

Presenting what information that is readily available on the internet? Long debunked creationist talking points? Good call. We've seen them, and the suck, so anything you'd copy and past would be shown to be BS.

No, you don't. You believe it, and you think it definitely is the truth, but that doesn't mean you are right. You do not know any more than I do. To think otherwise is just kidding yourself.  

Its funny that Christians always accuse atheists of being arrogant and lacking humility when they are actually the ones making absolute statements about what is or isn't true about the universe.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:31:42 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is, for all intents and purposes, bullshit.  The percentage of scientists whose area of expertise qualifies them to opine about the validity of the modern theory of evolution, and who believe that the literal Biblical account of creation is more correct, is minuscule.

Yeah, no.  I can't speak for everyone, but many, including myself, have spent a considerable amount of time researching the modern theory of evolution, and have arrived at the well-considered conclusion it's not just the best explanation, it's an extremely well supported theory, and given this and the fact that a large number of other very sound theories depend on it, there is essentially no possibility that its major premises will ever be disproved.

This is just ludicrous.  Perhaps you'd like to tell the Christians who have stated here that they accept that the modern theory of evolution is largely correct, that they hate God.

I can't blame you for not wanting to debate the evidence; if I believed as you do, I wouldn't want to either.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:04:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am not concerned one bit.  I am perfectly fine with dying, not to soon but, when I die, I will die.  Nothing more.  Your religious beliefs are yours, using them to coerce or threaten an atheist will just get you laughed at.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:14:52 PM EDT
[#38]
If you believe in 12.5% of the bible....you can consider yourself an eight theist.......

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:19:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Christians seem to think that atheists hate god.  Nothing could be further from the truth.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle believed in fairies.  Now I don't believe fairies exist, but I don't hate fairies.  Get it?

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:20:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If you believe in 12.5% of the bible....you can consider yourself an eight theist.......

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:47:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Christians seem to think that atheists hate god.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle believed in fairies.  Now I don't believe fairies exist, but I don't hate fairies.  Get it?

View Quote

Some do.

I support freedom of religion or no religion at all. Faith cannot be forced by man.

Believe whatever you want and so will I.

I try to keep these discussions respectful.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 1:04:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell, why not?
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 1:14:50 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote

There are only a miniscule number of actual scientists in the field who believe in Creation/ID.  

I'm a Christian and hold no hatred towards God, and I find the evidence for evolution to be compelling.  It is the best explanation we have.  

Genesis is allegorical and expecting it to be a history book is just foolish.  

I have zero issues reconciling my belief in God with the knowledge science has accumulated about our world.     Anyone who does doesn't have much faith to begin with.    

I'll let you get back to fighting to the good fight against those evil atheists, just wanted to thank you for reinforcing the negative stereotypes about Christians.

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 1:54:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

There are only a miniscule number of actual scientists in the field who believe in Creation/ID.  

I'm a Christian and hold no hatred towards God, and I find the evidence for evolution to be compelling.  It is the best explanation we have.  

I have zero issues reconciling my belief in God with the knowledge science has accumulated about our world.     Anyone who does doesn't have much faith to begin with.    

I'll let you get back to fighting to the good fight against those evil atheists, just wanted to thank you for reinforcing the negative stereotypes about Christians.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

burncream.jpg
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 2:58:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Genesis is allegorical...
View Quote

Just curious. What is your basis for that statement? I didn't see anything in the Bible that says Genesis is not meant to be literal.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 3:39:40 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Just curious. What is your basis for that statement? I didn't see anything in the Bible that says Genesis is not meant to be literal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I don't see anything that says it is meant to be taken as literal history.  

At one time, the vast majority of Christians believed the earth was the center of the universe.  They used scripture like Joshua 10:12-13 and 1 Chronicles 16:30 to show that geocentrism was fact.  

Some would have defended that belief and said "I don't see anything in the Bible that says those verses are metaphorical"  and there really isn't.   That doesn't change the fact that the earth does indeed revolved around the sun.   Either those verses are in error or are literal interpretation of those verses are in error.   So is the Bible wrong or is the literal interpretation of those verses wrong?

The natural world is as much God's word as the Bible.   When knowledge contradicts belief, then our belief is in error.

As our knowledge has increased (and our social mores have changed) our interpretation of the Bible has changed.     There are always those slow to change.   Just as there are no longer any Christians defending geocentrism, in 100 years there won't be any defending a literal Genesis either.  

eta:  page from a Luther Bible

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 2:24:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

At one time, the vast majority of Christians believed the earth was the center of the universe.  They used scripture like Joshua 10:12-13 and 1 Chronicles 16:30 to show that geocentrism was fact.  

Some would have defended that belief and said "I don't see anything in the Bible that says those verses are metaphorical"  and there really isn't.   That doesn't change the fact that the earth does indeed revolved around the sun.   Either those verses are in error or are literal interpretation of those verses are in error.   So is the Bible wrong or is the literal interpretation of those verses wrong?

The natural world is as much God's word as the Bible.   When knowledge contradicts belief, then our belief is in error.

As our knowledge has increased (and our social mores have changed) our interpretation of the Bible has changed.     There are always those slow to change.   Just as there are no longer any Christians defending geocentrism, in 100 years there won't be any defending a literal Genesis either.  

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/84/Geocentrism.gif/403px-Geocentrism.gif

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/84/Geocentrism.gif/403px-Geocentrism.gif

There actually is a small group of geocentrists who are also traditional Catholics. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something about tittles and jots at the end of the book, isn't it? Either it's all true or none of it is true, or wore to that effect.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 2:52:09 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Christians are often one of the worst when it comes to "Not being humble", take a drive up the east coast and every 5 miles or so you will find a Billboard pushing their shit on people with fears of damnation.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

There actually is a small group of geocentrists who are also traditional Catholics. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

View Quote

Really?  Good lord.  

Ok I'll amend my statement and in 100 years only a tiny minority of Christians will still believe in  a literal Genesis.

Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top