BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 12:59:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I will say the 301 in my GP always started, always ran, I never really did anything to it, I remember a water pump, and a leaking front seal I changed the same time.

But there were so many things that were goofy on those things.  Intake for one, not dual plane like every other 4brl Pontiac.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 301 was a sad engine for sure, but those cars were lightened up compared to the earlier models. 3200 lbs maybe but definitely not 4k. The numerically low axle ratio was likely more to blame.

A lot of people would yank the 301 and install a 400 in it's place.  This is the way those cars should have been built to start, but sadly 400 production stopped the year before. So it ended up being more of a do-it-yourself option.
Don't leave out the mighty turbo 301 Pontiac

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_301_Turbo
Another poor attempt to fill the void left by the departure of the 400. I guess they just couldn't let the Olds diesels have all the warranty claims to themselves.

Honestly, if Pontiac wanted a smaller V8, they could have just gone back to putting the 326 in everything. It would have worked out so much better.
I will say the 301 in my GP always started, always ran, I never really did anything to it, I remember a water pump, and a leaking front seal I changed the same time.

But there were so many things that were goofy on those things.  Intake for one, not dual plane like every other 4brl Pontiac.
Siamesed intake ports. Each runner fed two cylinders.

Attachment Attached File

Why would they do this? I have no idea.

I've owned two 301's. Hell, I own one right now (in a parts car) but I have no intention of ever using it for anything. They were basic transportation engines. If you expected more than that, or compared them to earlier true Pontiac engines, they didn't hold up.

Eta: Here's a proper Pontiac engine, since I'm on top of pg 4
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 12:59:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
These Fiat X19's were pretty cool:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/167780/fiat_x19-642959.JPG
View Quote
Oh God no.

Between my Army buds we had a X19, a TR7and a 280Z [mine] Guess which one actually ran and which ones were broken most of the time and sitting?
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 1:03:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CLqcxuZWcAAeSRE.jpg

Funny story, when Ford introduced the Pinto in Brazil it flopped.  "Pinto" is portuguese slang for "small penis".

Kind of fitting name for that car.
View Quote
Because when somebody wants to compensate for something the Pinto is the go to car?  I would have thought it would have been something not really small and cheap...

Quoted:
The absolute worst era for quality, damn near rivaling the build quality of a Yugo. Door and deck lid gaps on everything were whacked straight out of the factory. I don't think it was possible to line that shit up, hell you can see it in these pics. The shit would practically rust in the showroom. The drunks building them would leave bottles in the body panels as if the shit didn't rattle enough already. Pretty much no one gave a shit. Thinly reason people bought them is they couldn't bring themselves to buy an import.
View Quote
Imports were criminally rust prone for decades.

Nice thing about the era is a lot of the 60's stuff still fit and they were simple to work on.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 1:05:38 PM EDT
[#4]
The cars from that era were pretty crappy from the factory, but they were pretty simple to service and it wasn't hard to coax more HP from a V8, I6, or even a turbo 4.  The trucks of the era were generally pretty decent.  The factory engines also lacked in power, but they made enough torque to do "truck stuff".  I'll always have a soft spot for 66-96 Ford I-beam trucks.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 1:31:14 PM EDT
[#5]
My first car was same year/model/color as this one...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#6]
This thread needs crushed along with all the cars in it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 10:38:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
These Fiat X19's were pretty cool:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/167780/fiat_x19-642959.JPG
View Quote
Friend of my mom had one of those in the
80s , an old man in a F150 backed into it , up it's hood and put his rear tires through the windshield.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top