Link Posted: 4/8/2021 1:41:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Homeboy gangsta style trap.

I'd pay to watch that...

From a safe distance.
View Quote

I think the recoil impulse re-direction would be an interesting observation, myself.  Not one I believe I'd like to encounter personally...

Link Posted: 4/8/2021 1:48:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I can't figure out... was it "Gary" that had a discharge or the tactical vest guy?
View Quote

no gary runs the trap committee and was talking to me while tac vest guy was shooting
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 1:50:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Lmao Ive always wanted to show up at a sporting clays shoot with a mag fed semi shotgun
View Quote

I want to do it wielding two Taurus Judges
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I am a lefty who grew up with RH guns only.   I had to pop the safety then put my finger into the guard.  Pheasant hunting when heavy gloves were needed would result in an unintended discharge.   But being otherwise safe it was never a problem or big scare.  I always let my friends think it was just a miss.     I could still make the follow up shot. It seemed to happen about once per season.  I have a lefty now.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 2:05:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If someone showed up to my trap range with a tac vest I would tell him to take it off or take a hike. Trap is a etiquette game, a lot like golf.

I dont care if you want to play navy seal dress up over on the rifle and pistol ranges but keep that shit off my trap range.
View Quote

We got one!
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 2:17:22 PM EDT
[#6]
LOL I got some looks at my 1st Trap shoot I went to

Had my M400 turkey tactical They all looked at it and went why the pistol grip?

I showed them how much easier it was to hold onto and control then a old fudd gun.  I also out shot a lot of the old fudds on my 1st ever shoot  

So all those giving tommy tacticool crap cause he had an ar shotty cool your horses

He was running what he brung

the fact he was an imbecile whom did not understand it or how to run it or general gun safety to begin with yeah beat him  up on that end.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 2:27:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I showed them how much easier it was to hold onto and control then a old fudd gun.  I also out shot a lot of the old fudds on my 1st ever shoot  

So all those giving tommy tacticool crap cause he had an ar shotty cool your horses

the fact he was an imbecile whom did not understand it or how to run it or general gun safety to begin with yeah beat him  up on that end.
View Quote

I suggest you join the ATA and sign up for their little shoot in Sparta, IL this coming August.  Play all the options, shoot all the events.  You're obviously a natural, you'll be rich.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I think I look good in the vest??
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 3:01:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 3:02:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Coach 4H Trap, kids seem to figure out semi-autos just fine.  Anybody acting in an unsafe manner is kicked off the line, no excuses.

Muzzle:  Always pointed in a safe direction.

Action:  Always open until your ready to fire.

Trigger:  Finger off the trigger until your ready to fire.
View Quote
"Your" is a possessive pronoun.

"You're" is the contraction of "you" and "are".

Teach those kids English while you're teaching them safety.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I suggest you join the ATA and sign up for their little shoot in Sparta, IL this coming August.  Play all the options, shoot all the events.  You're obviously a natural, you'll be rich.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 3:14:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

No thanks  I plan on taking on the Devil in a fiddle contest next and I need to brush up on that
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 3:17:16 PM EDT
[#13]
My range never would of let that guy on the trap range with a mag fed shotgun let alone wearing a tac vest.

You wanna play navy seal go down to the rifle or pistol range, don't come up to the trap range.

Edit: I've been on the youth clay team going on 4 years now and have seen my fair share of idiots, but never anybody dumb enough to wear a tac vest on the trap field.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 3:22:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coach 4H Trap, kids seem to figure out semi-autos just fine.  Anybody acting in an unsafe manner is kicked off the line, no excuses.

Muzzle:  Always pointed in a safe direction.

Action:  Always open until your ready to fire.

Trigger:  Finger off the trigger until your ready to fire.

4H categorized Shooting Sports as a STEM program so proper English isn't covered.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm sure those dumb old Fudds really appreciated you learnin em up good.

Link Posted: 4/8/2021 3:30:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I used to hate going near the trap and skeet ranges at my former gun club.  It seemed that muzzle control and not pointing your firearm at other people was OK if the action was open...I still didn't like it.  

I guess that remembering and abiding by the the rule of "don't point your firearm at anything you don't want to destroy" makes me a Fudd...I can live with that.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 3:56:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am a lefty who grew up with RH guns only.   I had to pop the safety then put my finger into the guard.  Pheasant hunting when heavy gloves were needed would result in an unintended discharge.   But being otherwise safe it was never a problem or big scare.  I always let my friends think it was just a miss.     I could still make the follow up shot. It seemed to happen about once per season.  I have a lefty now.
View Quote

Why not just get a shotgun with a tang safety where it belongs.  Trigger guard safetys suck.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Aint reading that shit until you add some damn punctuation and caps.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 4:12:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If someone showed up to my trap range with a tac vest I would tell him to take it off or take a hike. Trap is a etiquette game, a lot like golf.

I dont care if you want to play navy seal dress up over on the rifle and pistol ranges but keep that shit off my trap range.
View Quote
I've never had some asshole behind the line yell "How'd ya like that one Johnny Miller?!" when the bird came out of the trap house, so, I'd say Trap is a bit ahead of golf.

Club where I used to shoot Trap had 'club guns' that were available for anyone to use.  There were O/Us and autoloaders in both 12 and 20.  The monthly shoots were open to the public and even if you were a complete newb and wanted to try it for the first time, you were welcome.  We'd shut down the line and Mike, the Shotgun Dude, would take the time to teach them how to safely handle/load/shoot/etc., one at a time or in small groups with the help of the other RSOs/experienced shooters.  They'd get a chance to shoot 5 or so birds from the 'beginner line' and if they liked it they were invited to shoot a round with the group.  Someone would be standing right behind them while they shot to make sure they stayed safe.

We welcomed everyone, especially inexperienced shooters or those new to shooting.  What better opportunity to teach them?

We would allow any type of shotgun, as long as it was safe to shoot and was handled safely.  Saw a few interesting ones.

One of the "Boomer Fudds" (not me, though I qualify) had a Martini-Henry(?) 12ga. single-shot that he'd bring out occasionally.  That was always fun to watch.  Sometimes you'd see the guys with their tactical gear/guns, but they'd be there just for fun to see if they could hit the birds.  Usually one round and then "Thanks, guys!  That was fun!".  

The best shooter there was a gentleman in his 70s who was still shooting in competitions.  He could break birds 10 feet, or less, in front of the trap house, his reaction time was insane.  He'd always get teased about shooting the roof of the trap house, but he never really did.

Strangely enough, or not, my favorite guns for trap are also my favorite guns for hunting; Ruger Red Label 20ga. (quail, grouse, dove), Winchester SX2 12ga (pretty much anything), or the Mossberg 835 Ulti-mag that I use for goose hunting.

I don't really GAF what you shoot.  Be safe, have fun.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 4:12:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Trap guys rest loaded barrels on there feet? I can see a a guy doing it with a broke open action and the empty barrels resting on your foot to keep the muzzle off the dirt.
View Quote

I worked at a major trap range for a year or two when I was a teenager, I saw it all the time.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 4:15:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I tried to read that but your shift key must be broken. Also trap shooters are curmudgeon fudds. Skeet and sporting draws a much more tolerable crowd
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 5:03:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I wish for a trap/skeet club that doesn't allow anything other than a O/U.  A lot of people don't know how to handle a shotgun and a semi can be dangerous for them and people around them.  Some know the rules, but appear not to give a darn.  They consistently sweep others.
View Quote

boomer post is boomer

i shoot trap all the time with my 870s. While not a semi, allowing only O/U is stupid.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 5:26:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I like the little leather pads you can attach to your boot to more comfortably rest the barrel of your freaking gun on your foot.
View Quote

With an over/under... Whats the big deal ?
Youd have your action broken open anyway
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 5:30:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Holy Run-On Sentence!
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 7:05:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My range never would of let that guy on the trap range with a mag fed shotgun let alone wearing a tac vest.

You wanna play navy seal go down to the rifle or pistol range, don't come up to the trap range.

Edit: I've been on the youth clay team going on 4 years now and have seen my fair share of idiots, but never anybody dumb enough to wear a tac vest on the trap field.
View Quote

Being unsafe proved he was an idiot, but not allowing him because his gun doesn't look right plays right into the left's hands. A shotgun is a shotgun. If it's harder to shoot trap with a gun like that big deal-it'll make it easier for you to shoot a higher score than his.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 7:14:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Honestly surprised mag fed semi auto was allowed to shoot trap. Especially when the owner is in a tac vest. Even more so when he has demonstrated he doesn't know how the gun works.

I think trap can be a little too pretentious and boomer, but as the poster above me said there is an expected etiquette. Their range their rules, respect that or go shoot on private land.
View Quote
Hell yeah buddy! You shouldn't even be allowed to step foot on a trap range with anything less than a Beretta Silver Pigeon  Seriously, this site seemingly goes deeper down the fudd hole every day.  I guess boomers are finally discovering the internet. One of my favorite things to do is show up to the local trap range with my 18" barreled, police trade in 870, with surefire fore end, side saddle, and blaze orange furniture and outshoot all of the fudds and their high end O/U's.  The dirty looks and snarky comments are well worth it. They generally get quiet after I outshoot them.  I even have several Beretta O/U's and semis, but sometimes I just like shooting a round with my trash can gun. As long as the shooter is safe (the guy in the OP clearly wasn't) I don't care what they shoot.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 7:31:03 PM EDT
[#27]
My company used to host trap shooting day for the customers. Unlimited  ammo and clays. I once brought out my benelli riot gun just to see. Got permission from staff and was loading 8 shots in the tube.  I would just keep shooting till I hit something......  I was surprised how well I did but it went back in the case pretty quick.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 8:38:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Hell yeah buddy! You shouldn't even be allowed to step foot on a trap range with anything less than a Beretta Silver Pigeon  Seriously, this site seemingly goes deeper down the fudd hole every day.  I guess boomers are finally discovering the internet. One of my favorite things to do is show up to the local trap range with my 18" barreled, police trade in 870, with surefire fore end, side saddle, and blaze orange furniture and outshoot all of the fudds and their high end O/U's.  The dirty looks and snarky comments are well worth it. They generally get quiet after I outshoot them.  I even have several Beretta O/U's and semis, but sometimes I just like shooting a round with my trash can gun. As long as the shooter is safe (the guy in the OP clearly wasn't) I don't care what they shoot.
View Quote

I'm sure that is a 100% true story.  And you tell it so well!
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 8:58:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everybody claims they cleaned a fudd's clock with a cheap pump shotgun. I'm sure some of them are telling the truth.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:32:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Everybody claims they cleaned a fudd's clock with a cheap pump shotgun. I'm sure some of them are telling the truth.
View Quote

Then they went over to the pistol range where a bullseye match was being held, and shot 900/900 with a G19. Really showed those fudds with their Feinwerkbaus and Pardinis how it's done.

But they don't compete in those sports in big matches, because they're boringly easy.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:46:12 PM EDT
[#31]
I get smoked by the fudds everytime with my maverick 88 pump 18", my best round was 21 on my fifth try but I did it and don't care lol
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:56:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Remember the guy who turned a deactivated RPG into a shotgun? I can't find the thread, or even remember what forum it was on. I think it was the same place where the guy made an AK receiver out of a shovel. There was discussion about taking the RPG/shotgun to trap or skeet range. I don't know if it ever happened, but this picture got posted and I thought it was pretty funny:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/9/2021 12:24:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I never understood why they did that. Or why trap/skeet/clay lines allow it.
View Quote
I wear the tops of my shoes out doing that.  But it's a broken open O/U.  I wouldn't do it with a Semi-auto.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 12:31:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Maybe, but most of the time when you hear about an nd at trap or skeet club its because 'Gary' shows up with his tacticool gear and doesn't have a clue how to use it or how to shoot in a busy environment. That or people learning how to use release triggers - those are always good for a hole in the ground in front of the line or paint missing from the back of a trap house.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see a lot of unsafe gun handling every time I go to a shotgun range. Fudds

Maybe, but most of the time when you hear about an nd at trap or skeet club its because 'Gary' shows up with his tacticool gear and doesn't have a clue how to use it or how to shoot in a busy environment. That or people learning how to use release triggers - those are always good for a hole in the ground in front of the line or paint missing from the back of a trap house.
Release triggers are the devil.  

There are several shot patterns on the trap houses of the club I shoot at due to people and their release triggers.  I don't think they're safe.  I'm a skeet shooter and rarely shoot trap.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 12:40:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Release triggers are the devil.  

There are several shot patterns on the trap houses of the club I shoot at due to people and their release triggers.  I don't think they're safe.  I'm a skeet shooter and rarely shoot trap.
View Quote

They are a blessing for anyone who's developed a flinch.  It takes some time to learn how use them and how to safely open the gun once its been set.  I've never messed with one and hope I never have to.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 6:15:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

They are a blessing for anyone who's developed a flinch. It takes some time to learn how use them and how to safely open the gun once its been set.  I've never messed with one and hope I never have to.
View Quote

Maybe, but whenever I see someone using one, I develop a flinch.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 7:53:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

So, I'd have to hold my SxS sideways?  That'll make it more challenging...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wish for a trap/skeet club that doesn't allow anything other than a O/U.  A lot of people don't know how to handle a shotgun and a semi can be dangerous for them and people around them.  Some know the rules, but appear not to give a darn.  They consistently sweep others.

Yeah... I think "break-action" is more appropriate term....
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:12:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nooo.  I want to see him shoot the SxS sideways.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 4:56:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I do it all the time with my over/under.  Perfectly safe noob.

Quoted:

Many semi-autos work great as single shots. Drop a shell in. Close the bolt/action. Fire. Bolt locks back. Repeat.

Absolutely no one thinks showing up at a trap/skeet/sporting clays shoot with a mag-fed shotgun is cool, edgy, or marks you as a badass. It's exactly like showing up to a precision rifle match with a Tapco'd SKS. Stop it. And stop telling us about the time you went 25/25 with one and showed the boomers who's boss. No one believes that.

THIS.  I don’t know of any clays range that allows tactical shotguns.  Good way to keep out idiot noobs who can’t hit shit.  Lol at the lies where guys with 18 inch barrels and open chokes are outshooting ANYBODY.  Maybe in trap, but no way in sporting clays.  Trap is for the old guys who can’t walk anymore.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 6:05:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m gonna take my Serbu Super Shorty out and show them Fudds with their fancy shotguns what they’re missing. I’ll report back my triumph.

My arms aren’t long enough to rest it on my toe.

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 6:33:45 AM EDT
[#41]
On the subject of weird guns on shotgun ranges: I shot a sporting clays course with a coach gun once, was decent at fast moving close targets, they were extremely easy to hit, I guess that means coach gun working as intended. Couldn't hit shit after 50 yards though.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 6:40:25 AM EDT
[#42]
After reading this thread all I really want to do is show up at my local trap club to shoot wearing nods, plates, belt ext. That would be some funny shit.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 6:47:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Dumbassery abounds everywhere.

I shoot trap once in a blue moon out at the Gun Club. You see all types.

On a dare I once shot a round with an 1897 Trench Gun. With the bayo attached.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 6:49:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Bonus points to anyone who shows up and shoots a round with a judge in .410. I've tried it a few times, but have mostly been unsuccessful. If you break 1/5 clays you're doing really good.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 7:29:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Most mag fed shotguns are designed to strip a round from the mag to slow down bolt velocity. You telling him to just drop a shell in the ejection port may have actually contributed to the ND as many free floating firing pin guns will go off if a round is inserted into the chamber and the bolt is closed. The bolt does not slow down it's velocity stripping the round from the mag and the firing pin may have enough retained energy to set off the primer. Some commercial primers will get an AR to fire when the bolt is closed on a chambered round for the same reason.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 8:13:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why on earth would anyone want to go to Illinois for any reason?

The ATA was incredibly foolish for building that facility in IL. IN or MO would have been better choices.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 4:02:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Taken this morning at the skeet field.  

I rest my barrels on my foot enough to start wearing a hole in the top of my shoe.  Which is good, because I'm shooting a lot, and bad, because it's wearing a hole in the wrong side of the shoe.

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 4:03:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
After reading this thread all I really want to do is show up at my local trap club to shoot wearing nods, plates, belt ext. That would be some funny shit.
View Quote
You'd be welcome on our skeet field.  Not so much the trap side though.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Taken this morning at the skeet field.  

I rest my barrels on my foot enough to start wearing a hole in the top of my shoe.  Which is good, because I'm shooting a lot, and bad, because it's wearing a hole in the wrong side of the shoe.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Misc-II/i-mR5QZ5R/0/5ecf9a85/XL/11ECC626-6834-46D1-8664-614222DFE5FF-XL.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Misc-II/i-KMmC6Qq/0/27def329/XL/2AB1BC64-CE8B-4112-9737-3376D28B9C1D-XL.jpg
View Quote

They make a magnetic bbl rest that works pretty good and would save your shoes.  Small rubber pad with a magnet that sticks to your bbl end,  step on the pad when you lift your muzzle to shoot.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 5:03:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL, I have been kicked off a trap range for showing up with a 590 and instead of resting it on my foot, I affixed the bayonet and poked it into the ground while I was waiting.  Oddly enough they didn't buy my assertion that it was safer.

I still go to the other local range that has trap shoots, about 1x a month.  I bring one of my 3 gun SGs, start low ready, call pull, port load and shoot.  I get funny looks, but its not against any rules.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top