Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/28/2022 8:46:39 AM EDT
I know james bond used them, but what about modern times? winkler NSW dagger? something else, cold steel fat guy?
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 8:49:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Learn a fighting system including the use of a knife.    

If you think of a knife as a fist to be avoided, the only true advantage is its greater reach than a fist.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 8:53:52 AM EDT
[#2]
The pointy end goes in the other person. Not you. Best lesson.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 9:04:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Gerber applegate/fairbain folders are sexy as  fuk.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 9:09:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Learn a fighting system including the use of a knife.    

If you think of a knife as a fist to be avoided, the only true advantage is its greater reach than a fist.
View Quote
That and being maimed or fatally wounded every time a "punch" makes solid contact
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 9:12:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Go watch some of them old black and white YouTube videos of WW2 knife fighting. They’re supper cool
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 9:14:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 10:05:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Gerber applegate/fairbain folders are sexy as  fuk.
View Quote

Meh. Have one and other than stabbing and cutting fruit, the blade is too thin.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 10:07:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Ken "Killer" McCoy endorses them for defense against aggressive Italians.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 10:10:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knife
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 10:17:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ken "Killer" McCoy endorses them for defense against aggressive Italians.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/28/2022 10:21:31 AM EDT
[#11]
The FS fighting knife is the coolest knife that exists. I’d love to have an original version and a nice solid modern version.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 1:22:20 PM EDT
[#12]
An arfcommer just made the cover of blade magazine for his version.

You can find the thread  in the armory section under blades.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 1:29:46 PM EDT
[#13]
There’s shit up on YouTube. What exactly are you wanting to know?
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 1:32:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That and being maimed or fatally wounded every time a "punch" makes solid contact
View Quote

I remember the first time I asked my martial arts instructor about knives. His response, he waves his hand to preempt follow on questions and says “run away” Of course not long after I got into a fight with a guy wielding a screwdriver and didn’t run since it wasn’t a knife.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 1:33:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Go watch some of them old black and white YouTube videos of WW2 knife fighting. They’re supper cool
View Quote

Very cool but some bad techniques like trading high for low.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 1:37:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The FS fighting knife is the coolest knife that exists. I’d love to have an original version and a nice solid modern version.
View Quote

Less visually appealing but some of the medieval daggers are very useful and practical. Reading Middle Ages knife fighting techniques is pretty interesting. Imagine UFC meets stabby stabby Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Modern sf

I want one of these

Or with wood handle
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 1:40:01 PM EDT
[#18]
There are many custom makers who have made or do make FSFKs, many companies that have produced them over the years, and many more that have made production knives inspired by them. Here are some modern, production daggers that are versions of the FSFK, or inspired by it, and that are currently being made:

Fox FSFK (also available with a wood handle, and/or satin blade if you search around)

Fox Bellum

Boker Applegate Fairbairn

Eickhorn FSFK

Spartan Blades V14

Spartan Blades Harsey

Extrema Ratio Suppressor

Extrema Ratio Herring (don't think this is available in the US, so would have to import it)

Acta Non Verba Anthropoid

I EDC several of these (not at the same time!).
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 1:40:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Was going to post this if somebody else hadn't.  He's so matter of fact about it and how it's used.  Kind of like Christopher Lee schooling Peter Jackson on what it actually sounds like when you stab a man.

Christopher Lee calmly explains why he knows what sound to make when being stabbed in the back
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There are many custom makers who have or do make FSFKs, many companies that have produced them over the years, and many more that have made production knives inspired by them. Here are some modern, production daggers that are versions of the FSFK, or inspired by it, and that are currently being made:

Fox FSFK (also available with a wood handle, and/or satin blade if you search around)

Fox Bellum

Eickhorn FSFK

Spartan Blades V14

Spartan Blades Harsey

Extrema Ratio Suppressor

Extrema Ratio Herring (don't think this is available in the US, so would have to import it)

View Quote

Beautiful blades but if someone is wearing a coat you better stick to neck or maybe armpits
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 1:55:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Pointy end towards enemy.

Link Posted: 8/28/2022 2:01:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I'll take a smatchet over a dagger any day.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 2:04:51 PM EDT
[#23]
I present the Case V42, the holy grail of fighting daggers and the inspiration for the dagger in the US Army Special Forces Crest....

Case V42

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 2:30:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File

I have three.  The M500 (Czechoslovakia), Hill Knives (Holland), and a real FS (England).  
If I were to carry one, the most practical would be the Hill Knives.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 2:33:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Beautiful blades but if someone is wearing a coat you better stick to neck or maybe armpits
View Quote

If the opposition is wearing heavy clothing, then the point is probably going to be a lot more useful than the edge, and that is literally the point of the Fairbairn Sykes.

I don't have a need for a sentry removal dagger, but if I ever get another it would be a 2nd pattern F-S.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 2:34:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Supply store off post by Fort Ord had some mint WW2 smatchets I spent hours examining. The wife was not having it so I bought a coffee mug with unit logo and hoped one day but after the 90s the supply store converted to paint ball.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 2:34:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Oops
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 2:37:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If the opposition is wearing heavy clothing, then the point is probably going to be a lot more useful than the edge, and that is literally the point of the Fairbairn Sykes.

I don't have a need for a sentry removal dagger, but if I ever get another it would be a 2nd pattern F-S.
View Quote

Hard to get a point thru winter coats. I’m thinking more of street fights than WW2 sentries when I say coats.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 2:45:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Hard to get a point thru winter coats. I’m thinking more of street fights than WW2 sentries when I say coats.
View Quote

It isn't that hard unless maybe you're looking to drive it to the hilt,  and even if someone is wearing a ridiculously amount of layers sufficient to stop the blade, it's still going to hurt.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 2:48:07 PM EDT
[#30]
I know little about them, but here's a reversed knurling handled one.

Attachment Attached File

This one has a broad arrow and 9 marking, making it apparently quite rare.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 2:50:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It isn't that hard unless maybe you're looking to drive it to the hilt,  and even if someone is wearing a ridiculously amount of layers sufficient to stop the blade, it's still going to hurt.
View Quote

I’ve been in a couple knife fights, I’m not talking from a theoretical point of view.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 2:53:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Lots of info here.....Stabby, Pointy Death

I have a couple but would prefer a good Bowie or Smatchet if I had to use a blade in H2H combat.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 2:59:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are many custom makers who have or do make FSFKs, many companies that have produced them over the years, and many more that have made production knives inspired by them. Here are some modern, production daggers that are versions of the FSFK, or inspired by it, and that are currently being made:

Fox Bellum

Eickhorn FSFK

Spartan Blades V14

Spartan Blades Harsey

Extrema Ratio Suppressor

Clothing frustrates cuts but is virtually irrelevant to thrusts. Here are demonstrations against late medieval cloth armor (24 layers of quilted linen). Skip to 2:30 if you just want the first demonstration with no context, and 3:35 for the second.

Cloth Armor vs Daggers and Swords

And here are demonstrations against doubled-up cotton pants and a coat with synthetic insulation. Skip to 00:50 for the first thrust demonstration, 1:25 for the second, and 2:10 for the third.

Apart from the second knife in the first video, all of the knives used were only single-edged.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 3:14:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I’ve been in a couple knife fights, I’m not talking from a theoretical point of view.
View Quote

I've only been in one, but I've got about 20 years training in various knife systems.

I just don't see how a typical winter coat could provide much protection against a stab unless maybe the knife you're using is unsuitable for stabbing.

And I live in Canada where the winter garb is probably thicker than where you are.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 3:20:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Supply store off post by Fort Ord had some mint WW2 smatchets I spent hours examining. The wife was not having it so I bought a coffee mug with unit logo and hoped one day but after the 90s the supply store converted to paint ball.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That the one right on Route 1 in Moss Landing? Always thought that's really out of place every time I drive by
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 3:20:38 PM EDT
[#36]
https://www.fairbairnsykesfightingknives.com/

http://www.macdonaldarms.com/armoury/FairbairnSykes.php

The first link is a good history full of 1st,2nd & 3rd pattern info.
The second is good place to get the high end real deal this company made some of the original 1st patterns

You can still purchase the current  UK MOD model from Sheffield,I have done it
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 3:32:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Clothing frustrates cuts but is virtually irrelevant to thrusts. Here are demonstrations against late medieval cloth armor (24 layers of quilted linen). Skip to 2:30 if you just want the first demonstration with no context, and 3:35 for the second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5beULSL2jxg

And here are demonstrations against doubled-up cotton pants and a coat with synthetic insulation. Skip to 00:50 for the first thrust demonstration, 1:25 for the second, and 2:10 for the third.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFozCNHC_aU

Apart from the second knife in the first video, all of the knives used were only single-edged.
View Quote

That’s a fucking Rondel dagger http://myarmoury.com/feature_spot_rondel.html
15th Century Medieval Daggers: Bollock vs Rondel
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 3:36:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That the one right on Route 1 in Moss Landing? Always thought that's really out of place every time I drive by
View Quote

Yeah, back when 7th ID was around, it was boss but once the post closed it went to shit. Surfing down the road from there can be good sometimes. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 3:44:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5beULSL2jxg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFozCNHC_aU

View Quote

LOL at the material of that thin jacket. I said coat not jacket. Get back to me when you find a video for a coat not a windbreaker.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 3:45:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Pointy end towards enemy.

https://i.imgur.com/v3TCzPs.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2022 3:57:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Since GD is the home of the Tier 1 GBPSE recommendations

Billy Mace Imel F-S dagger
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yeah, back when 7th ID was around, it was boss but once the post closed it went to shit. Surfing down the road from there can be good sometimes. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/28ECFD3C-2B9A-4DB2-AD79-DB69865AEDB9_jpe-2506325.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, back when 7th ID was around, it was boss but once the post closed it went to shit. Surfing down the road from there can be good sometimes. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/28ECFD3C-2B9A-4DB2-AD79-DB69865AEDB9_jpe-2506325.JPG

Nice. I've never actually been inside but driven past it a million times. Did a stint at DLI in the mid 10s and my dad and his side of the family all live in Sonoma County so try to get down to Monterey when I'm out there.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 4:19:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Look at the vid of the smoke shop owner that put blade in a guys neck/clavicle area,it’s been posted here several times.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 4:22:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
7th ID is gone? I'm out of touch. The Army/Navy stores of the '60s and '70s were a goldmine.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Nice. I've never actually been inside but driven past it a million times. Did a stint at DLI in the mid 10s and my dad and his side of the family all live in Sonoma County so try to get down to Monterey when I'm out there.
View Quote
Awesome, for those who don’t know DLI is the military language school {but Special Forces now does language at Ft Bragg NC}
DLI is a sweet hidden jewel most people even in the military don’t know about. Monterey is 70 at mist 80 degrees when the rest of California gets those 3 day 100 heat waves innJuly/August or September. Only the Avenue of the Giants- Eureka and Crescent City have cool summer weather all summer. Santa Barbara and San Francisco Bay Area 2nd place. San Diego 3rd. Golfers, scuba and car collectors. Monterey has cold water but otherwise lots to do except late nightlife but 2 hour drive up to San Francisco depending on traffic.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#46]
One day....one day I will make a Sykes Fairburn and a V-42 out of Damascus. One day.. Still quite outside of my skill level as of yet.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 4:33:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Awesome, for those who don't know DLI is the military language school {but Special Forces now does language at Ft Bragg NC}
DLI is a sweet hidden jewel most people even in the military don't know about. Monterey is 70 at mist 80 degrees when the rest of California gets those 3 day 100 heat waves innJuly/August or September. Only the Avenue of the Giants- Eureka and Crescent City have cool summer weather all summer. Santa Barbara and San Francisco Bay Area 2nd place. San Diego 3rd. Golfers, scuba and car collectors. Monterey has cold water but otherwise lots to do except late nightlife but 2 hour drive up to San Francisco depending on traffic.
View Quote
You forgot the aquarium. Best part.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
7th ID is gone? I'm out of touch. The Army/Navy stores of the '60s and '70s were a goldmine.
View Quote

7th got moved a few times and now is at Ft Lewis WA but only as a headquarters. 1994 the division got deactivated. I’ve posted pics of me at Impossible City a couple times in threads. Now $400,000 which is like 1/2 to 1/3 typical house prices of Bay Area are being built on the former Ft Ord. The commissary and PX are still there. Golf course is u see private civilian ownership.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 4:35:57 PM EDT
[#49]
If you're in blade fight, you're both going to get cut.  Best to avoid it.

Link Posted: 8/28/2022 4:38:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
You forgot the aquarium. Best part.
View Quote

Yeah, it’s a fantastic aquarium I just got disappointed when management there went woke. But yeah there’s jazz festivals and all kinds of stuff to enjoy. Carmel has more rules but you can enjoy bonfires on the beach and watch the sunset go down which is nicer than east coast sunsets on the Atlantic side with way better weather in the summer.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top